ADVERTISEMENT

Marlins 14 covid cases

5 days after he was ruled out for positive test

college football shouldn't require mandatory 14-day quarantines

i wonder how many current farmers got their farms from previous generations in their family? My perception is a lot but i dont really know. i do think its curious the few farmers i know always bitch and moan like some on here about people in the city collecting welfare and accusing them of just not caring or trying to make ends meet like a farmer does. But my 2 farmer friends were GIVEN their farms by their families after dads died. i'm all for hard work and i know farmers work as hard as anyone i know. but they refuse to admit they were GIVEN a farm. almost none of these people born in the cities in poverty were given anything except a shitty outlook on life because of the environment they live in. I just wish some people would admit it has a lot to do with where you start as much as more as how hard you try.

Your TWO farmer friends...lmao. This post is disgustingly misinformed and nowhere near any comparison of welfare. I come from 100% South Dakota farm families on both sides and was raised on a farm. Leodis is correct. You will never fathom the amount of work you are put to and I would go at an even lower age of 3 years old and on. When you’re not in school, you’re working with your dad. When we moved to the city I was blown away at how lazy and stupid almost every single one of my classmates was. These farms are passed down to families, the same way any amount of wealth generated by anyone in any way is passed down...That wealth comes from working your entire life, ESPECIALLY the farm. The only work that welfare involves comes from the people who are not on it, such as farmers.

Your TWO farmer friends...lmao. This post is disgustingly misinformed and nowhere near any comparison of welfare. I come from 100% South Dakota farm families on both sides and was raised on a farm. Leodis is correct. You will never fathom the amount of work you are put to and I would go at an even lower age of 3 years old and on. When you’re not in school, you’re working with your dad. When we moved to the city I was blown away at how lazy and stupid almost every single one of my classmates was. These farms are passed down to families, the same way any amount of wealth generated by anyone in any way is passed down...That wealth comes from working your entire life, ESPECIALLY the farm. The only work that welfare involves comes from the people who are not on it, such as farmers.
People who have never worked on a farm have no idea the kind of hours and at times crappy and dangerous work that farming entails. The stress for a farm owner can be overwhelming. The 'business" of farming has gotten increasingly more complicated as time has gone on. I believe that being a farmer has been ranked as one of the most dangerous occupations in the country and suicide rates are fairly high for farmers.

Agreed, Dingle. Anyways. If this is how sports will be handled, what a mess. Relying on tests that apparently just measure which way the wind is blowing that day, resulting in certain players quarantining for 10, 14 days. IF there is a season, it should be the most interesting one of all time. We may see an unprecedented amount of walk-ons starting at Nebraska any given day. It could be terrible and it could be f***** awesome!

Reactions: dinglefritz
If you were a or are a farmer today and you are sitting on 4-500 acres worth of land that is used for beans and corn would the wise move be to hold on to that land for the foreseeable future or sell and cash out? Like what is the wise move as far as things trending

If you were a or are a farmer today and you are sitting on 4-500 acres worth of land that is used for beans and corn would the wise move be to hold on to that land for the foreseeable future or sell and cash out? Like what is the wise move as far as things trending
Not a very good time to cash out, as commodity prices are more or less in the crapper and the business climate for farmers is not especially favorable. Someone might still offer a good price if they really want the land, but you won't have people fighting over it they way they would when prices are better.

Many in my family are farmers.. You have lazy farmers and hard working farmers so to say they all work hard is an idealization... some of the laziest people I know are farmers. I know a number of guys that have only stayed afloat because of acreage reduction programs, subsidies and the fact they got their land and equipment for free. The first two are forms of welfare that I have to pay for. Farmers seem to drive a lot of brand new equipment even when prices are down.. always thought that was interesting.

like saying all veterans are heroes. Many are, some are not...

Most land is a never-sell in my opinion, unless maybe you’re old and have no one to pass it on to. Rent it out, farm it, ranch it. Don’t sell it. It is truly the most finite resource in the world.

Most land is a never-sell in my opinion, unless maybe you’re old and have no one to pass it on to. Rent it out, farm it, ranch it. Don’t sell it. It is truly the most finite resource in the world.
my favorite line from an auctioneer was "Boys they aren't making any more dirt. Better get it when you can." The Navy Seal leader that I referenced in another thread told his audience that day that the best investment a person could buy right now is good dry land farm ground. He believes that eventually irrigation will be shut off to more and more farms as the demand for water for human consumption continues to rise. It's already happening in many areas.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
my favorite line from an auctioneer was "Boys they aren't making any more dirt. Better get it when you can." The Navy Seal leader that I referenced in another thread told his audience that day that the best investment a person could buy right now is good dry land farm ground. He believes that eventually irrigation will be shut off to more and more farms as the demand for water for human consumption continues to rise. It's already happening in many areas.
Totally agree with that statement. Nebraska is ahead of the curve with water management but there will continue to be more regulation as time goes on.

Many in my family are farmers.. You have lazy farmers and hard working farmers so to say they all work hard is an idealization... some of the laziest people I know are farmers. I know a number of guys that have only stayed afloat because of acreage reduction programs, subsidies and the fact they got their land and equipment for free. The first two are forms of welfare that I have to pay for. Farmers seem to drive a lot of brand new equipment even when prices are down.. always thought that was interesting.

like saying all veterans are heroes. Many are, some are not...
Lazy farmers don't do well economically and often lose their farm. Most of those folks have a spouse that works in town to pay the bills. I know a lot of farmers and I can't think of any off the top of my head who I would call lazy. I'm sure there's some out there. The older I get, the closer I get to that category but my farming is just a hobby.

Unfortunately our tax laws promote buying new equipment when in reality it's really tough to justify the expense. I've made some purchasing decisions based on the fact that basically the section 179 deduction means that taxpayers are on the hook for half of my purchase. Yes, I'll eventually have to pay a capital gain recapture tax if I sell the asset, but our tax code is a mess. It does promote being able to slam more crop in to the ground and harvest more quickly with fewer workers. The problem with that is IF you buy bigger equipment that covers more ground, you need more ground to make it work. The idea of the tax rule is to stimulate the economy via more capital good purchasing. More legislation run amuck built on good intentions.

i dont think you read very well or are embarrassed by your privilege so you are overly sensitive to information that can be misinterpreted. no one ever said farmers dont work hard. so you can remove that paragraph for the rest of your life and save us some time. your farm was passed down to you. you got it because your dad got it. not because you outworked anyone else for it. others do not get a farm handed to them. this isn't about hard work. this is about having a good starting point in life. i would rather get a farm and work hard then start with nothing at all. it is a huge advantage in life. People not being able to admit they were born into an advantageous situation compared to others are a big part of our problem of not getting along and understanding each other better. i compare it a little bit to racism. some people think they are better than others because they have convinced themselves, sometimes erroneously, that they worked harder and made a bunch of better decisions than other people. Sometimes thats true. Many studies have shown where we start our lives is the biggest determinant of where we end up. Not hard work

Last edited:
Reactions: jmliehr
If farming was like many other businesses...you would see about 5 big corporate enitities owning 50% of the farmland...the subsidies and choices made by the federal government has helped keep a lot of the farms in smaller entities hands.

If farming were a true free market, I would think that like most other industries, you would see much more consolidation.

That’s something my family has always hammered- buy land, buy land, buy land.

In 2006, George Bush bought a random 300,000 acre patch of land in a remote section of Paraguay. It happens to sit over one of the largest aquifers in the world. I would say the chances of a future water shortage, based on that alone are extremely high. There is also a 2008 research paper by Credit Suisse stating “it is likely that 2/3 of earth’s population will be living under ‘water stressed’ conditions by 2025”

i dont think you read very well or are embarrassed by your privilege so you are overly sensitive to information that can be misinterpreted. no one ever said farmers dont work hard. so you can remove that paragraph for the rest of your life and save us some time. your farm was passed down to you. you got it because your dad got it. not because you outworked anyone else for it. others do not get a farm handed to them. this isn't about hard work. this is about having a good starting point in life. i would rather get a farm and work hard then start with nothing at all. it is a huge advantage in life. People not being able to admit they were born into an advantageous situation compared to others are a big part of our problem of not getting along and understanding each other better. i compare it a little bit to racism. some people think they are better than others because they have convinced themselves, sometimes erroneously, that they worked harder and made a bunch of better decisions than other people. Sometimes thats true. Many studies have shown where we start our lives is the biggest determinant of where we end up. Not hard work

Embarrassed by my privilege...boy that is assuming a LOT haha and makes most of your post irrelevant, especially after I tell you that I don’t own a farm and never have. My dad wasn’t given a farm either, he rented for awhile and then quit. In fact, I moved out on my own after high school with less than $1000. Talk about reading comprehension, you really botched that one eh? I was given nothing. I worked a few low wage jobs, saved up a tiny bit at a time, bought a house, started my own business and have been self employed for 6 years now with no sign of stopping. I agree only a little bit with you, it is easier for people that start with a free farm, a million dollars, valuable personal connections, and whatever else, but I’m living proof anyone can pull themselves out of the slums here. It’s just easier to blame privilege, like what you’re doing. I had friends like you. They still blow all their money on shiny things and blame “privilege” for why they’re still nowhere in life.

Last edited:
Embarrassed by my privilege...boy that is assuming a LOT haha and makes most of your post irrelevant, especially after I tell you that I don’t own a farm and never have. My dad wasn’t given a farm either, he rented for awhile and then quit. In fact, I moved out on my own after high school with less than $1000. Talk about reading comprehension, you really botched that one eh? I was given nothing. I worked a few low wage jobs, saved up a tiny bit at a time, bought a house, started my own business and have been self employed for 6 years now with no sign of stopping. I agree only a little bit with you, it is easier for people that start with a free farm, a million dollars, valuable personal connections, and whatever else, but I’m living proof anyone can pull themselves out of the slums here. It’s just easier to blame privilege, like what you’re doing. I had friends like you. They still blow all their money on shiny things and blame “privilege” for why they’re still nowhere in life.
The only thing i want to highlight is the existence of privilege, thats it. Not every person born into privilege takes advantage of it and not every person not born into gets stuck in poverty either. But it nonetheless is the most predictable variable we have for determining future life determinants. maybe this topic does not apply to you. But i know dozens of college mates who it does. They are convinced everything they have is due to their own choices unaffected by their starting point. When in fact the starting point has been shown to be more strongly tied to success than the choices we make along the way. Thats all i wanted to say. Most poor people are not poor because they are dumb. Most poor people are poor because they started poor. I'm glad you could work your way into a life you enjoy. But in doing so, you beat the odds. Until we do something to improve the odds, you will continue to be the exception and generations of poor families will continue to have a more difficult path than those born into better situations

The only thing i want to highlight is the existence of privilege, thats it. Not every person born into privilege takes advantage of it and not every person not born into gets stuck in poverty either. But it nonetheless is the most predictable variable we have for determining future life determinants. maybe this topic does not apply to you. But i know dozens of college mates who it does. They are convinced everything they have is due to their own choices unaffected by their starting point. When in fact the starting point has been shown to be more strongly tied to success than the choices we make along the way. Thats all i wanted to say. Most poor people are not poor because they are dumb. Most poor people are poor because they started poor. I'm glad you could work your way into a life you enjoy. But in doing so, you beat the odds. Until we do something to improve the odds, you will continue to be the exception and generations of poor families will continue to have a more difficult path than those born into better situations

Personally, I believe the rate of success has more to do with the environment they were raised in, rather than how much they started out with. Those two things just happen to coincide often, especially in the city. I’m obviously biased towards farm kids. But I’ve heard plenty of lifelong city slickers say they would prefer to hire a farm kid, for anything. You don’t see farm kids burnt out on the street, they don’t settle for an apartment, they don’t develop drug problems. They’re taught so much more responsibility at such a younger age. Driving, hunting, saving, survival, independence. It is absolutely a night and day different childhood and like many on here have already said, you will never truly know that until you’ve experienced life in both.

Maybe you’ve heard the famous sound about it - “A Country Boy Can Survive”
Everyone knows that song is true and it pies your research in the face, talking about how it doesn’t matter what you take away from the country boy, what he starts with, he’ll always climb out of that hole.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Starting poor has little to do with their circumstances once they've reached middle age. This country has more opportunity than any other country in the world. Your success is largely dependent on you and no amount of federal handouts will ever equalize outcomes.

Personally, I believe the rate of success has more to do with the environment they were raised in, rather than how much they started out with. Those two things just happen to coincide often, especially in the city. I’m obviously biased towards farm kids. But I’ve heard plenty of lifelong city slickers say they would prefer to hire a farm kid, for anything. You don’t see farm kids burnt out on the street, they don’t settle for an apartment, they don’t develop drug problems. They’re taught so much more responsibility at such a younger age. Driving, hunting, saving, survival, independence. It is absolutely a night and day different childhood and like many on here have already said, you will never truly know that until you’ve experienced life in both.

Maybe you’ve heard the famous sound about it - “A Country Boy Can Survive”
Everyone knows that song is true and it pies your research in the face, talking about how it doesn’t matter what you take away from the country boy, what he starts with, he’ll always climb out of that hole.
I think this post is chock full of generalizations. As a group yes, farm kids are generally very reliable as workers. But I can also point you to plenty of farmers who are drunks and probably couldn't hold a regular job. I can also point you to plenty of rich farm kids who drive brand new trucks and certainly don't work hard. I know this because I live with these people, have family like this, my kids have friends like this. Go to almost any rural high school in America and I can point that kid out to you. These are kids that know that no matter what they have a job. No matter what they will have land. No matter what they have a place to hunt. And don't give that line about the stress of losing the farm. These people are more sheltered than Trump when it comes to protecting their assets. That's why they have the land and farm in different entities.

People on the coasts like to hire people from the midwest, not necessarily farms.

A country boy can survive. Wow. Not sure where to even begin there. Talk about buying a bunch of southern b.s. The country boy jr. is singing about isn't the Nebraska farm kid. He's singing about some uneducated hillbilly in the mountains wearing a coon skin hat.

For me one of the overlooked factors in farm life is the intact family unit. Most farm kids grow up with both parents and grandparents around. That means that even if the mom has an off farm job then grandma is their to help raise them compared to a random babysitter. Someone is around to get them to baseball practice.

I think one thing not being discussed here is livestock vs. non-livestock. Large areas of the country are practically devoid of livestock. That's a whole different ballgame having only corn/beans. I see row crop farmers at the lake more then me. And these people certainly take more winter vacations then me.

For me one of the overlooked factors in farm life is the intact family unit. Most farm kids grow up with both parents and grandparents around. That means that even if the mom has an off farm job then grandma is their to help raise them compared to a random babysitter. Someone is around to get them to baseball practice.

That is a huge thing I forgot to include. Thank you for supporting my post

That is a huge thing I forgot to include. Thank you for supporting my post

I married into a Farm family...I love everything about it...but Farm families have the same issues as everyone else.

They family has 5 kids including my wife and 3 of the 5 are divorced. 2 of them are farming (1 of those 2 are divorced).

Generalizing just doesn't work...every walk of life has issues.

ADVERTISEMENT