ADVERTISEMENT

Marlins 14 covid cases

they don't require a 14-day quarantine, just 2 subsequent negative tests.

Juan Soto tested positive on Opening Day (last Thurs), tested negative yesterday, will test negative again today and likely return to the lineup by week's end.

Washington #Nats star Juan Soto is getting increasingly frustrated, his teammates say. He has reportedly tested negative six times_three by MLB and three by the team_but has not had back-to-back negative tests, keeping him out of action.

This was a tweet by Bob Nightengale about 20 minutes ago.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Hell, look at the Cares Act. That $600 bucks made a whole shit load of people want to stay home vs. work.
In fairness, whether you agree with the CARES Act, that was part of the point: incentivize people to stay home rather than spreading the virus.

Disagree. We can produce all the food we need. We waste all kinds of "food" with ethanol, dumping milk, plowing under sugarbeats....

We've made steps in the right direction like eliminating direct payments, which was where farmers literally got a check for showing up at FSA. You didn't actually have to successfully grow something. My take is the government should continue to move toward conservation payments where farmers get money for increased fertilizer and irrigation efficiency, filter strips, manure management. Everyone wins under that scenario.

Again, I'm not against helping farmers. It would just be nice to have them acknowledge that the u.s taxpayer, including big city folk, help them out.
i wonder how many current farmers got their farms from previous generations in their family? My perception is a lot but i dont really know. i do think its curious the few farmers i know always bitch and moan like some on here about people in the city collecting welfare and accusing them of just not caring or trying to make ends meet like a farmer does. But my 2 farmer friends were GIVEN their farms by their families after dads died. i'm all for hard work and i know farmers work as hard as anyone i know. but they refuse to admit they were GIVEN a farm. almost none of these people born in the cities in poverty were given anything except a shitty outlook on life because of the environment they live in. I just wish some people would admit it has a lot to do with where you start as much as more as how hard you try.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
How is not working?
LOL
I guess you are one of the wealthy ones?
the other 20%-40% of the country says hello.
the ones you have never met or lived next to but make up a large portion of the country.
we need to decrease poverty and get more people up into the middle class. Poverty isn't a necessity.

LOL
I guess you are one of the wealthy ones?
the other 20%-40% of the country says hello.
the ones you have never met or lived next to but make up a large portion of the country.
we need to decrease poverty and get more people up into the middle class. Poverty isn't a necessity.

I hate to tell you, but you are never getting to a Utopian society. Poverty is always going to exist and throwing money at it hasn't been proven to work. Pre-Covid, the unemployment numbers were at all time lows and the poverty level had actually come up quite a bit. 20%-40% can you provide a link to that?

i wonder how many current farmers got their farms from previous generations in their family? My perception is a lot but i dont really know. i do think its curious the few farmers i know always bitch and moan like some on here about people in the city collecting welfare and accusing them of just not caring or trying to make ends meet like a farmer does. But my 2 farmer friends were GIVEN their farms by their families after dads died. i'm all for hard work and i know farmers work as hard as anyone i know. but they refuse to admit they were GIVEN a farm. almost none of these people born in the cities in poverty were given anything except a shitty outlook on life because of the environment they live in. I just wish some people would admit it has a lot to do with where you start as much as more as how hard you try.

Really? Given the farm? Yes it was passed on, but do you realize how hard half of those farm kids work on that thing since about he age of 5+... Jesus dude, get over yourself.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Really? Given the farm? Yes it was passed on, but do you realize how hard half of those farm kids work on that thing since about he age of 5+... Jesus dude, get over yourself.

you mean how many were given the opportunity (simply by birth circumstances) to work hard on the farm with the understanding they were going to one day be given a huge commodity - government subsidized

you mean how many were given the opportunity (simply by birth circumstances) to work hard on the farm with understanding they were going to one day be given a huge commodity

Plenty of people benefit from death in some way, not just the farming community. Most I know in the farming community busted their ass for a lot of years and in a lot of ways expanded the farm past its earlier limits. Yes, their birth possibly had something waiting for them when a family member passed away, but it wasn't a given.

Plenty of people benefit from death in some way, not just the farming community. Most I know in the farming community busted their ass for a lot of years and in a lot of ways expanded the farm past its earlier limits. Yes, their birth possibly had something waiting for them when a family member passed away, but it wasn't a given.
I think what he's saying is that most people don't inherit property worth hundreds of thousands of dollars that was partially paid with government subsidies yet fail to acknowledge said subsidies.

Someone who's dad worked at a factory and left his son a house with some money probably didn't accumulate his wealth with government money.

Is all I'm saying is most farmers won't acknowledge this government help.

the most addictive substance on planet Earth is free money.

it's not good for anybody.

Disagree. We can produce all the food we need. We waste all kinds of "food" with ethanol, dumping milk, plowing under sugarbeats....

We've made steps in the right direction like eliminating direct payments, which was where farmers literally got a check for showing up at FSA. You didn't actually have to successfully grow something. My take is the government should continue to move toward conservation payments where farmers get money for increased fertilizer and irrigation efficiency, filter strips, manure management. Everyone wins under that scenario.

Again, I'm not against helping farmers. It would just be nice to have them acknowledge that the u.s taxpayer, including big city folk, help them out.

The subsidies were to keep food cheap, until technology came along. The improvements in ag in the last 20 years have been staggering. They can grow 200 bushel corn by the Canadian border!

That's great until farmer's don't plant. They're not suicidal.

The subsidies are there to guarantee the base food supply. And yes farmers would plant -- the first time-- because they wouldn't know what else to do.

After 1/4 of them go broke or more (think how low prices will be the next two years and how much it would hurt with no subsidies) how long would the land be in foreclosure on that many bankruptcies? How many farm banks would go broke?

How high would prices go then? How high would the feeder animals go in response especially with the supply issues they will already be having due to covid plant closures?

Here's a hint : real damn high.

The subsidies are there to guarantee the base food supply. And yes farmers would plant -- the first time-- because they wouldn't know what else to do.

After 1/4 of them go broke or more (think how low prices will be the next two years and how much it would hurt with no subsidies) how long would the land be in foreclosure on that many bankruptcies? How many farm banks would go broke?

How high would prices go then? How high would the feeder animals go in response especially with the supply issues they will already be having due to covid plant closures?

please. the same giant ag companies that buy the majority of their crops would buy their land before the ink dried.

we wouldn't miss a growing season.

They MIGHT have been given the farm, but IF they were they paid tax on that gift. It's not different than any other gift for tax purposes. In FACT many if not most families are forced to sell the farm to pay the tax. Very few farmers I know had farms given to them. IF they had the "home place" gifted to them, they paid that tax and then have had to buy land to try to stay competitive. Each and every year the number of acres it takes for a farmer to try to make a living has increased.

In MOST cases those "kids" who inherited a farm (which they paid tax on) worked on those farms from the time they could walk for NOTHING. Why does it not surprise me that you're envious of a family who provided for themselves to give their heirs a head start on life? The work ethic that those people learned from previous generations seems to be the key to life success. Government handouts have seemed to have the exact opposite effect.

Reactions: leodisflowers
please. the same giant ag companies that buy the majority of their crops would buy their land before the ink dried.

Yeah, I want my food supplied by a multinational corporation under the thumb of a foreign government.:rolleyes: What could possibly go wrong?

Lmao. Sure we wouldn't. You're missing the part where they're broke too. No subsidies, remember?

They MIGHT have been given the farm, but IF they were they paid tax on that gift. It's not different than any other gift for tax purposes. In FACT many if not most families are forced to sell the farm to pay the tax. Very few farmers I know had farms given to them. IF they had the "home place" gifted to them, they paid that tax and then have had to buy land to try to stay competitive. Each and every year the number of acres it takes for a farmer to try to make a living has increased.

In MOST cases those "kids" who inherited a farm (which they paid tax on) worked on those farms from the time they could walk for NOTHING. Why does it not surprise me that you're envious of a family who provided for themselves to give their heirs a head start on life? The work ethic that those people learned from previous generations seems to be the key to life success. Government handouts have seemed to have the exact opposite effect.

My dad did not pay a huge tax when he inherited land from my grandpa. I thought nebraska had some exemptions for this? It also goes both ways. My dad worked his ass off. His sister and 2 brothers didn't. They all got the same amount of land. Not everyone put their time in.

Reactions: Blindcheck

Once again, all I'm saying is I hate the irony of farmers refusing to acknowledge they have been given government help while complaining about welfare.

Farmers have been given numerous breaks over the years. And I'm fine with subsidized crop insurance and disaster programs and all that. But I doubt many people truly knows how it all works. If one county has flooding and is declared a disaster then every county touching it also qualifies, even if that farm didn't flood. Which usually then entitles them to a disaster payment. And on and on. Theres all kinds of perks.

I won't even get into direct payments, which were eliminated in the last farm bill.

I'm pro-farmer but I just hate when people are hypocrites.

Once again, all I'm saying is I hate the irony of farmers refusing to acknowledge they have been given government help while complaining about welfare.

Farmers have been given numerous breaks over the years. And I'm fine with subsidized crop insurance and disaster programs and all that. But I doubt many people truly knows how it all works. If one county has flooding and is declared a disaster then every county touching it also qualifies, even if that farm didn't flood. Which usually then entitles them to a disaster payment. And on and on. Theres all kinds of perks.

I won't even get into direct payments, which were eliminated in the last farm bill.

The problem is that in a lot of cases those farmers would have made it anyway.

Those people are actually significantly worse off than without them.

You are generalizing.

My dad did not pay a huge tax when he inherited land from my grandpa. I thought nebraska had some exemptions for this? It also goes both ways. My dad worked his ass off. His sister and 2 brothers didn't. They all got the same amount of land. Not everyone put their time in.
The amount of tax if any is dependent on the value of the asset. IF your dad had sold the land he would pay capital gain tax. Your dad didn't inherit very much land if he didn't pay tax on it. OR,the other thing some people have done is they've paid in to life insurance policies with the beneficiary of the policy being the heir. Life insurance proceeds are not taxable so that money is used to pay any tax liability the heir might incur. In that case somebody really paid tax on the land via life insurance premiums.

The amount of tax if any is dependent on the value of the asset. IF your dad had sold the land he would pay capital gain tax. Your dad didn't inherit very much land if he didn't pay tax on it. OR,the other thing some people have done is they've paid in to life insurance policies with the beneficiary of the policy being the heir. Life insurance proceeds are not taxable so that money is used to pay any tax liability the heir might incur. In that case somebody really paid tax on the land via life insurance premiums.
He got a 1/4. I'll have to ask him. I just looked it up. If Google is correct than then Nebraska inheritance for immediate relatives is 1%. So it would have been a couple thousand bucks on a 1/4 of land. Probably why he didn't think it was worth discussing.

The problem for farmers is that we operate in a world market and other countries subsidize their food production. You only get a flood disaster payment if YOUR land floods btw. Some of you need to not comment on farm payments if you don't know what it really entails. It might allow you to take out government subsidized loans if you're in a county that was declared a disaster but you don't get a payment if you don't have a loss. You have to prove a loss. I pay huge crop insurance premiums for my hobby farm to cover my losses IF we have a drought or aren't able to plant because of wet conditions. I've had a couple of claims but I've figured it out and for the amount of money I've paid in for crop insurance it's been about a wash. I would be a little bit ahead IF I didn't have to buy crop insurance. The catch is IF you don't buy crop insurance you don't get disaster assistance in the event of a widespread drought or other natural disaster.

To some degree, farming like medicine has become a socialized business. Much of it is controlled by the government which no doubt causes some inefficiencies. The problem for government is that it HAS to ensure that we have more than adequate food supplies. Anything less than that would be a threat to our national security. I listened to a Navy Seal leader speak at a meeting, who had been heavily involved in the effort to help villages recover in Iraq. He brought home the importance of food security for government stability. He thought the next civil war in our country would be fought over food. I don't think he saw the rise of Marxism and Antifa coming though.

Reactions: Kleitusbpn
He got a 1/4. I'll have to ask him. I just looked it up. If Google is correct than then Nebraska inheritance for immediate relatives is 1%. So it would have been a couple thousand bucks on a 1/4 of land. Probably why he didn't think it was worth discussing.
Some states have done some things to try to keep family farms in the hands of families and out of the hands of foreign investors. There are counties in Nebraska who are struggling with the Ted Turner land purchases and what that has done or will do to their tax roles already. We can't afford to have the majority of farms fall in to the hands of large corporations. We should have learned that lesson with giving up our medical supply production to the Chinese. We've already felt some pain with Smithfield and JBS foreign ownership of packing plants.

The problem for farmers is that we operate in a world market and other countries subsidize their food production. You only get a flood disaster payment if YOUR land floods btw. Some of you need to not comment on farm payments if you don't know what it really entails. It might allow you to take out government subsidized loans if you're in a county that was declared a disaster but you don't get a payment if you don't have a loss. You have to prove a loss. I pay huge crop insurance premiums for my hobby farm to cover my losses IF we have a drought or aren't able to plant because of wet conditions. I've had a couple of claims but I've figured it out and for the amount of money I've paid in for crop insurance it's been about a wash. I would be a little bit ahead IF I didn't have to buy crop insurance. The catch is IF you don't buy crop insurance you don't get disaster assistance in the event of a widespread drought or other natural disaster.

To some degree, farming like medicine has become a socialized business. Much of it is controlled by the government which no doubt causes some inefficiencies. The problem for government is that it HAS to ensure that we have more than adequate food supplies. Anything less than that would be a threat to our national security. I listened to a Navy Seal leader speak at a meeting, who had been heavily involved in the effort to help villages recover in Iraq. He brought home the importance of food security for government stability. He thought the next civil war in our country would be fought over food. I don't think he saw the rise of Marxism and Antifa coming though.
Might have changed this farm bill but I know that's how it worked in 2008 FB because I've been there while it was being explained by fsa. My dad has also got a small livestock disaster payment when he didn't actually incur a loss. I'm happy with how they eliminated direct payments and hopefully they keep moving towards more conservation induced subsidies. I also they would raise the cap on crp acres. You want to talk about bang for your tax dollar, crp is it, as long as its targeted towards environmentally sensitive land.

I agree on the food security aspect.

Might have changed this farm bill but I know that's how it worked in 2008 FB because I've been there while it was being explained by fsa. My dad has also got a small livestock disaster payment when he didn't actually incur a loss. I'm happy with how they eliminated direct payments and hopefully they keep moving towards more conservation induced subsidies. I also they would raise the cap on crp acres. You want to talk about bang for your tax dollar, crp is it, as long as its targeted towards environmentally sensitive land.

I agree on the food security aspect.
If he got a livestock disaster payment it more than likely was because of the effect that crop losses had on the price of feed for his livestock. I got one of those a few years ago after that terrible drought, but you had to prove how many head of livestock you fed etc to get some help.

If he got a livestock disaster payment it more than likely was because of the effect that crop losses had on the price of feed for his livestock. I got one of those a few years ago after that terrible drought, but you had to prove how many head of livestock you fed etc to get some help.
Yeah I just remember it was one of those deals where he said fsa just told him to fill it out so he did and got money later.

Bingo 5000 times over.

Farm subsidies (at least the ones on things like grain etc) are about food security and keeping multinationals under control.

The ones being critical of said subsidies are also generally the ones who don't want multinationals controlling the food supply. For good reason.

They can't have it both ways. Either you accept that some smaller farmers who would have died off otherwise are going to make a ton of money or the multinationals take over.

Complaining about both is asinine. It's called making a choice.

While we derailed off topic, will get back on.

4 more Marlins tested positive, now at 17. Not announced if they were players/staff/coaches. They have taken the Marlins off the schedule for their next 6 games, meaning they don’t play until at least next Tuesday, 7 games are postponed for them, or over 10% of the season.

Nobody from the other teams have tested positive yet, but given the timeframe we wouldn’t expect positive tests from the Phillies until tomorrow at the earliest.

Reactions: jeans15
While we derailed off topic, will get back on.

4 more Marlins tested positive, now at 17. Not announced if they were players/staff/coaches. They have taken the Marlins off the schedule for their next 6 games, meaning they don’t play until at least next Tuesday, 7 games are postponed for them, or over 10% of the season.

Nobody from the other teams have tested positive yet, but given the timeframe we wouldn’t expect positive tests from the Phillies until tomorrow at the earliest.
  1. They're rapidly approaching "team immunity". Might as well let all of the other players get it now so they can get on with their season.Winking

did you read my post? i said farmers work very hard. and they also were given a farm. poor people on average were never given a farm. its just a fact. i'll bet a very large percentage of people no matter where they came from or the color of their skin would be better off over the course of their lives if they were given a farm in the beginning.

did you read my post? i said farmers work very hard. and they also were given a farm. poor people on average were never given a farm. its just a fact. i'll bet a very large percentage of people no matter where they came from or the color of their skin would be better off over the course of their lives if they were given a farm in the beginning.
wah wah wah. I wasn't given anything. wah wah wah. Most people IF given a farm by the government would lose it in the first 5 years regardless of the color of their skin. The problem with you is that you don't think blacks are capable of succeeding on their own merit. I don't care if you're black or white. If you're stupid or lazy you're not likely going to do well in life.

universal masking
Avoid congregating in crowds regardless of reason - social distancing

The response has been “they’re not doing it so I don’t have to either” - pretty much the response expected from children

If only everyone wore masks like in Japan.

Spoiler Alert: Masks do nothing.

1000% behind this - but the freedom fighters won’t like it

universal health care
Affordable housing
And a livable minimum wage would also do wonders for population health

The current policies we have along these lines don't work.

Your idea: More of them.

This is the difference between reality and academia.

dont know what state you live in - but Nebraska per capita is one of the states most heavily reliant on agriculture. Agriculture is one of the most heavily government subsidized industries we have. The state and its citizens are heavily reliant on government aid - they just use a fancy word like subsidies rather than handouts

Comparing welfare recipients to farmers... you should log off for a while.

For your sake you should move. Where ever you are it is rotting your brain.

LOL
have you ever seen what their free healthcare looks like? or their free housing? thats kinda like bitching about medicaid benefits. nobody wants to be on medicaid. it sucks
You've discovered the secret. All govt healthcare sucks.
we herded american indians into small corrals in the middle of nowhere and you want to use them as an example of guaranteed income not working?
As opposed to the metropolises they were living in?
FYI Canada has actually done a well designed study on guaranteed income in one of their towns. At the end of 5 years it had done exactly what they had hoped for. Crime was down significantly. Unemployment went down as well. Home ownership went up.
Then MOVE!!!!

They shut down like a lot of places in the U.S., except in the U.S. we opened up too quickly. Europe followed strict guidelines.

No they didn't. They had a mixed bag and no matter what was tried results were different.

what we're doing now is not working. so why not do a pilot program in a big city somewhere in the US? lets find out the answers instead of spending our lives wondering what would actually happen
I agree, testing 800K people a day is worthless. Protect the elderly and sick and the rest of us need to go on with our lives.

ADVERTISEMENT