ADVERTISEMENT

Marlins 14 covid cases

slwags

Sophomore
Jan 7, 2004
Game cancelled tonight. What MLB does May have a domino effect leading to the NCAA.

Wow that's a lot. Hypothetical Question, what happens if they all get it? Do they cancel their schedule? What happens if they all get it and recover? Do they get to play and not worry about anything anymore?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Wow that's a lot. Hypothetical Question, what happens if they all get it? Do they cancel their schedule? What happens if they all get it and recover? Do they get to play and not worry about anything anymore?

Great questions...hard to guess what baseball will do.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: bigboxes
I'm assuming they expected this and have proper protocols in place or the season wouldn't have started.....

They already have postponed today’s game, but the question is what do they do with the Phillies and Yankees since Miami just played in Philly? I assume the Marlins can’t play for at least 7-10 days with 12 positive players. Maybe resume August 5th?

Edit: Yankees and Phillies also postponed, 2 week break then 45 game season?

League protocols in the absence of strict community, county, state and national measures aren’t going to work.

Supercross was completely fine, so what did they do differently?

Overseas soccer leagues have been running fine for the most part, what are they doing differently?

We knew this was going to happen...so if they weren't going to continue the season anyway why did they bother to start it?

We knew how to keep this from happening but chose to ignore it

the premier league has been doing 1000+ tests every 2-3 days dating back to May 17. They have had a total of 20 positives. The marlins have had 14 positives and counting in a span of 2-3 days.

Maybe the plan for MLB and the NFL should have been to move their games to Europe

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1670563

By making riots illegal?

universal masking
Avoid congregating in crowds regardless of reason - social distancing

The response has been “they’re not doing it so I don’t have to either” - pretty much the response expected from children

We knew how to keep this from happening but chose to ignore it

the premier league has been doing 1000+ tests every 2-3 days dating back to May 17. They have had a total of 20 positives. The marlins have had 14 positives and counting in a span of 2-3 days.

Maybe the plan for MLB and the NFL should have been to move their games to Europe

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1670563
MLB tests every player/coach every other day, and place an emphasis on contact tracing when positives are found.

testing isn't the issue, as you imply. nor is it the solution, as you imply.

you're correct about protocols being neither here nor there when cases everywhere are on the rise. the reason for EPL's 'success' has a lot more to do with the fact there aren't tens of thousands of positives surrounding players than it does with their handling of the virus.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Since this is the Marlins we're talking about, can't they just pretend that any good players who test positive were traded away, then replace them with a journeyman free agent?

(And if they're really good players, just pretend that Jeter sent them to the Yankees for a bag of doorknobs.)

Reactions: nwualum
MLB tests every player/coach every other day, and place an emphasis on contact tracing when positives are found.

testing isn't the issue, as you imply. nor is it the solution, as you imply.

you're correct about protocols being neither here nor there when cases everywhere are on the rise. the reason for EPL's 'success' has a lot more to do with the fact there aren't tens of thousands of positives surrounding players than it does with their handling of the virus.

yes ... my point is strict measures need to be in place to control the percent % in the communities - state - nation

the low # of positives in the premier league is because there is a low level of community + in Europe

I apologize I didn’t convey this message effectively.

The travel is why I think the MLB and ultimately college sports will struggle to happen, the NBA and MLS were relatively successful was they had controlled environments. The European soccer leagues have kept players isolated for the most part compared to MLB which is letting players stay at home.

exercise, eat right, supplement vitamins and minerals, reduce stress, get enough sleep.

everyone does this, the next pandemic will look a lot more like we had a great federal/state/local reaction.

Tell people they have to do all those things and watch the same Karen's telling me I'm selfish if I don't wear a mask, come unglued for being told they have to do all those things.

exercise, eat right, supplement vitamins and minerals, reduce stress, get enough sleep.

everyone does this, the next pandemic will look a lot more like we had a great federal/state/local reaction.

People can’t even be bothered to where a mask - something that takes little or no effort and costs next to nothing

you think the majority of the population are going to commit to exercising 30 min per day, eating right, minimize alcohol and get 8 hours of sleep a night?

Masks are going to be mandated in Omaha as of next week. I would hope the general population is on board with it but there will be some who will probably make the news

Tell people they have to do all those things and watch the same Karen's telling me I'm selfish if I don't wear a mask, come unglued for being told they have to do all those things.

People can’t even be bothered to where a mask - something that takes little or no effort and costs next to nothing

you think the majority of the population are going to commit to exercising 30 min per day, eating right, minimize alcohol and get 8 hours of sleep a night?
the hardest hit group in the US are disproportionately relying on the gov't to feed their families. incentivize them. whole foods are half price for anyone on food stamps. send your kids to school with homemade breakfast and lunch, your monthly stipend goes up.

fast food prices haven't changed in 25 years. tax them like they're cigarettes.

judge everyone, loudly, all the time.

people respond to incentives, both positive and negative.

Reactions: leodisflowers

A decade or so ago, there was a "Let's Move" campaign that suggested it might be a good idea for kids to put aside the video game console and get off the sofa for an hour every day. Shockingly, it didn't go over well.

A decade or so ago, there was a "Let's Move" campaign that suggested it might be a good idea for kids to put aside the video game console and get off the sofa for an hour every day. Shockingly, it didn't go over well.

I think it's worth it if it can save just one life and people who disagree are and being selfish and making a conscience decision to kill their kids

we've effectively eliminated smoking.

we could put a dent into obesity if we cared to.

the hardest hit group in the US are disproportionately relying on the gov't to feed their families. incentivize them. whole foods are half price for anyone on food stamps. send your kids to school with homemade breakfast and lunch, your monthly stipend goes up.

fast food prices haven't changed in 25 years. tax them like they're cigarettes.

judge everyone, loudly, all the time.

people respond to incentives, both positive and negative.

1000% behind this - but the freedom fighters won’t like it

universal health care
Affordable housing
And a livable minimum wage would also do wonders for population health

I honestly have no idea what the percentage of peoole who smoke are these days...I would have guessed more than ever but I hope you're right.
Current smoking* has declined from 20.9% (nearly 21 of every 100 adults) in 2005 to 13.7% (nearly 14 of every 100 adults) in 2018, and the proportion of ever smokers who have quit has increased.

*Current smokers are defined as people who reported smoking at least 100 cigarettes during their lifetime and who, at the time they participated in a survey about this topic, reported smoking every day or some days.

regular smokers are even lower percentage. we did this by judging the shit out of smokers and taxing the shit out of cigs. we can do the same with fatsos & their weapon(s) of choice.

Current smoking* has declined from 20.9% (nearly 21 of every 100 adults) in 2005 to 13.7% (nearly 14 of every 100 adults) in 2018, and the proportion of ever smokers who have quit has increased.

*Current smokers are defined as people who reported smoking at least 100 cigarettes during their lifetime and who, at the time they participated in a survey about this topic, reported smoking every day or some days.

regular smokers are even lower percentage. we did this by judging the shit out of smokers and taxing the shit out of cigs. we can do the same with fatsos & their weapon(s) of choice.

That's great to read, thanks for posting.....smoking has always been one of those WTF things for me, I do not get it at all. How you could ever start, and do enough to get used to them, and the bad breath that goes with, the expense. Man I don't get it, glad to hear people are seeing the light on that.

That's great to read, thanks for posting.....smoking has always been one of those WTF things for me, I do not get it at all. How you could ever start, and do enough to get used to them, and the bad breath that goes with, the expense. Man I don't get it, glad to hear people are seeing the light on that.
smoking is fun and cool and feels good.

I get it. and it's very comparable to what makes people obese.

1000% behind this - but the freedom fighters won’t like it

universal health care
Affordable housing
And a livable minimum wage would also do wonders for population health
Yeah that's what we need. More government guarantees no matter how hard you work or what you do for work. They have free healthcare and free housing along with guaranteed income for doing nothing on the reservations. How's that working out for them? Guaranteed outcomes are a wonderful idea. It doesn't work.

We knew this was going to happen...so if they weren't going to continue the season anyway why did they bother to start it?
I've said all along that IF we were going to use the test and quarantine method for COVID versus just doing what we do for the flu, that we weren't going to have sports. Golf maybe. Baseball and football no way. There's WAY too many knuckleheads involved with team sports and all it takes is one guy to go to a nightclub to infect half your team.

ADVERTISEMENT