ADVERTISEMENT

Market just frontran the LA closure news

I do think we need to open it back up, understanding the death toll will be high. We just need to get it over with as that seems to be the will of the people. The American people do not have the mental or moral capacity to handle anything else.. We do need to set up some rules early to prevent the whining, however. If a hospital is full, nobody over 60 gets a vent as they are probably going to die anyway once vented. Also, anybody with a pre-existing condition does not get a vent or are lower on the priority list. Cancer, asthma, etc. Finally, those in vital roles in health care or critical businesses get treated first if there are capacity limitations. Finally, antivaxers get no health support. Also, manufacturers should have the authority to set their own rules as the best companies will dictate their own distancing so as to not wipe out their workforce. The virus isn’t shutting those plants down, people calling in sick are. Those violating the rules are subject to immediate termination with no recourse of legal action. Finally, anyone with a mask may take self defense measures against those that don’t under existing “stand your ground laws”.. Let the games begin.
Is the shutdown of schools and colleges going to hurt or help the mental capacity of Americans?

Reactions: frostonthegrass
"Could we see teams located in these shutdown areas hold practices and games in other states/ locations?"

I don't think you're going to see any college that doesn't have students on campus for in-person class playing any fall sports. Nor should they in my opinion. The main purpose of a university is education, not to provide a venue for a football team. This isn't like the New Orleans Saints needing a temporary home after Hurricane Katrina (which wasn't a contagious disease); the Saints sole purpose of existence is to play football.

"Could we see a make shift season comprised of teams located in areas/ states that are open?"

Possibly.
Most universities are already making plans for resuming classes in the fall and from what I've seen there will be a mixture of on campus and online coursework. There will be adjustments to class sizes and online availability of lectures etc. College aged kids are at extremely low risk of having a problem from this virus. The odds are on a campus the size of Nebraska's that you wouldn't have a single death in a student not afflicted with some life threatening precondition. If you have a predisposing factor you should probably be studying from home anyway.

Somebody on here a couple of days ago already posted what Io_a is planning for resuming their classes. I listened to a UCLA Dr. on MSNBC (I think) yesterday state that they could handle anything that might come up at this point now. Yeah, I know scary thought. A conservative watching something other than Fox News. Who would think that it's a good thing to at listen to the other side of a political spectrum when forming your opinions? Do you suppose MSNBC viewers are actually watching any Fox or are they just willing to swallow what their side "reports"?

Reactions: SomedayHusker
While I do agree that the university main function is to provide an education. I think it is much easier for university's to manage 100+ players and 15- 20 football staff than it is to manage thousands of students. Just because there aren't students on campus don't rule out athletics.
Also I do think football is much much more than just football. Many have this attitude that there is more to life than football as if football is this sole entity that affects nothing else. In reality it generates massive income not only for the university, but for surround hotels, restaurants, car rentals, ect... I went into the numbers in a previous post but it is in the millions and millions of dollars football provided to the local economies as well as hundreds of jobs. So if football doesn't happen it impacts many more lives than just the coaches and players.
I'm going to take your post by paragraph.

To me, I'm not sure how you socially distance a football team. Sure, you can spread them out in terms of those living on campus, but that's a sport where it's pretty tough to avoid saliva transmission on the field, and who knows what else in the locker room before and afterwards. It seems to me that staggering locker room time before and after would also require disinfecting the place after each "shift". I know Dr. Fauci said that it wasn't transmitted through sweat, but the virus is found in saliva (obviously), snot, urine, and fecal matter.

Secondly, the economics isn't lost on me. But I also know that there are plenty of colleges in the US that don't ever play football, and somehow their locales still manage to thrive economically...and before I get slammed for not being a real football fan...the joke in my household is that those aren't "real" colleges since they don't have football. Not saying those places wouldn't take a hit...they would. But, I also know that 8 members of the SEC, as well as 4 members of the PAC 12 (Pacific Coast Conference then), and Michigan State (among others) didn't play football in 1943...and somehow those schools and cities recovered.

And, let's be honest. How many people on here are wanting football in order to protect the economic impact on Lincoln? If a conference decides to have football, but with no fans, isn't that still going to negatively impact the local economy?

Lastly, never mind deaths....you will see players with asthma, high blood pressure, etc. get seriously ill...possibly permanently ending careers, if they contract this. And, I don't care how good of "game shape" a 6-4, 320 lb. lineman is, they are not healthy heart wise. To me, it seems that extra screening needs to take place if we want to avoid those situations.

Last edited:
I do think we need to open it back up, understanding the death toll will be high. We just need to get it over with as that seems to be the will of the people. The American people do not have the mental or moral capacity to handle anything else.. We do need to set up some rules early to prevent the whining, however. If a hospital is full, nobody over 60 gets a vent as they are probably going to die anyway once vented. Also, anybody with a pre-existing condition does not get a vent or are lower on the priority list. Cancer, asthma, etc. Finally, those in vital roles in health care or critical businesses get treated first if there are capacity limitations. Finally, antivaxers get no health support. Also, manufacturers should have the authority to set their own rules as the best companies will dictate their own distancing so as to not wipe out their workforce. The virus isn’t shutting those plants down, people calling in sick are. Those violating the rules are subject to immediate termination with no recourse of legal action. Finally, anyone with a mask may take self defense measures against those that don’t under existing “stand your ground laws”.. Let the games begin.
Guy goes to re-adjust his mask in Walmart..... bam. 9 mm bullet to head. New meaning of keep your head on a swivel.

I'm going to take your post by paragraph.

To me, I'm not sure how you socially distance a football team. Sure, you can spread them out in terms of those living on campus, but that's a sport where it's pretty tough to avoid saliva transmission on the field, and who knows what else in the locker room before and afterwards. It seems to me that staggering locker room time before and after would also require disinfecting the place after each "shift". I know Dr. Fauci said that it wasn't transmitted through sweat, but the virus is found in saliva (obviously), snot, urine, and fecal matter.

Secondly, the economics isn't lost on me. But I also know that there are plenty of colleges in the US that don't ever play football, and somehow their locales still manage to thrive economically...and before I get slammed for not being a real football fan...the joke in my household is that those aren't "real" colleges since they don't have football. Not saying those places wouldn't take a hit...they would. But, I also know that 8 members of the SEC, as well as 4 members of the PAC 12 (Pacific Coast Conference then), and Michigan State (among others) didn't play football in 1943...and somehow those schools and cities recovered.

And, let's be honest. How many people on here are wanting football in order to protect the economic impact on Lincoln? If a conference decides to have football, but with no fans, isn't that still going to negatively impact the local economy?

Lastly, never mind deaths....you will see players with asthma, high blood pressure, etc. get seriously ill...possibly permanently ending careers, if they contract this. And, I don't care how good of "game shape" a 6-4, 320 lb. lineman is, they are not healthy heart wise. To me, it seems that extra screening needs to take place if we want to avoid those situations.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/health/coronavirus-asthma-risk.html?smid=tw-share
(Asthma not a top risk factor)

for someone operating on assumptions, you seem very sure of yourself when it comes to infinitesimal risks coming to fruition

Most universities are already making plans for resuming classes in the fall and from what I've seen there will be a mixture of on campus and online coursework. There will be adjustments to class sizes and online availability of lectures etc. College aged kids are at extremely low risk of having a problem from this virus. The odds are on a campus the size of Nebraska's that you wouldn't have a single death in a student not afflicted with some life threatening precondition. If you have a predisposing factor you should probably be studying from home anyway.

Somebody on here a couple of days ago already posted what Io_a is planning for resuming their classes. I listened to a UCLA Dr. on MSNBC (I think) yesterday state that they could handle anything that might come up at this point now. Yeah, I know scary thought. A conservative watching something other than Fox News. Who would think that it's a good thing to at listen to the other side of a political spectrum when forming your opinions? Do you suppose MSNBC viewers are actually watching any Fox or are they just willing to swallow what their side "reports"?

Or hey here's an idea: ditch the inherently flawed, Fox News-pushed idea that you "need" a conservative news source, or even a liberal news source. Or both of them to somehow meet in the middle. It clearly leads to poor understandings of current events. Instead, go for news sources that are known to be fairly neutral and straight-forward. Be conservative if that's what you want; your political ideology should be shaped by your own beliefs, but also be subject to change given new data.

Critical thinking! What a concept.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
Death Panels.

Or hey here's an idea: ditch the inherently flawed, Fox News-pushed idea that you "need" a conservative news source, or even a liberal news source. Or both of them to somehow meet in the middle. It clearly leads to poor understandings of current events. Instead, go for news sources that are known to be fairly neutral and straight-forward. Be conservative if that's what you want; your political ideology should be shaped by your own beliefs, but also be subject to change given new data.

Speaking of concept, conservative talk radio and the channel beginning with a capital F are a direct result of the fact that there was a market for it. Why? Because the bias of the existing alphabet channels, cable networks and taxpayer funded PBS at that current time. With options you can turn the channel

Speaking of concept, conservative talk radio and the channel beginning with a capital F are a direct result of the fact that there was a market for it. Why? Because the bias of the existing alphabet channels, cable networks and taxpayer funded PBS at that current time. With options you can turn the channel

That is not true at all.

Herd immunity will save (most of) us.

Lockdowns and masks weaken the herd.
You need to read the entire thing. You don't quite get the entirety of herd immunity....and no offense, but I'm more inclined to listen to 2 doctors from Johns Hopkins over some anonymous dude on a college football chat board, whose sole interest is likely not having a college football season interrupted.

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/achieving-herd-immunity-with-covid19.html

https://www.sciencealert.com/why-herd-immunity-will-not-save-us-from-the-covid-19-pandemic

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/without-a-vaccine-herd-immunity-wont-save-us/

You need to read the entire thing. You don't quite get the entirety of herd immunity....and no offense, but I'm more inclined to listen to 2 doctors from Johns Hopkins over some anonymous dude on a college football chat board, whose sole interest is likely not having a college football season interrupted.

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/achieving-herd-immunity-with-covid19.html

https://www.sciencealert.com/why-herd-immunity-will-not-save-us-from-the-covid-19-pandemic

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/without-a-vaccine-herd-immunity-wont-save-us/

Or pushing Fox News talking points.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality

Oh sure, you just want the unbiased truth....which just happens to be Democrat.

Dudz, you fart, a lot, and you will never lay a bigger stinker than this gem you just let go.

A post by you, “liked” by Nebraska Reality, preaching about critical thinking? There isn’t anything that I will ever read or hear the rest of my life that will be more FUBAR. You two are completely detached from reality.

Damn I was hoping this would be more of a market discussion than the same old virus jibber-jabber.

Anyone thinking the market is about to blow again? Finished the day strong, but a lot of things pointing to a potential firesale soon. Couldn't help but notice Buffett sold off some more of his financial holdings. Tech stocks started to go a bit today as well. Once that picks up, things are going to heat up quick!

Damn I was hoping this would be more of a market discussion than the same old virus jibber-jabber.

Anyone thinking the market is about to blow again? Finished the day strong, but a lot of things pointing to a potential firesale soon. Couldn't help but notice Buffett sold off some more of his financial holdings. Tech stocks started to go a bit today as well. Once that picks up, things are going to heat up quick!
We're probably going to see another 10-15% drop over the next couple of weeks and then a rally into November. I was thinking the DOW might make it back up to 28-29 but its looking more like 25-27 will be the cap. NASDAQ will be stable for a while with IPOs this summer, but it'll be temporary. Housing is going to collapse in the fall so the stock market will seem like a safe haven until we realize the full damage done to the energy and ag commodity markets, then it will be a free fall across the board.

We're probably going to see another 10-15% drop over the next couple of weeks and then a rally into November. I was thinking the DOW might make it back up to 28-29 but its looking more like 25-27 will be the cap. NASDAQ will be stable for a while with IPOs this summer, but it'll be temporary. Housing is going to collapse in the fall so the stock market will seem like a safe haven until we realize the full damage done to the energy and ag commodity markets, then it will be a free fall across the board.

Good stuff here. Well, not good news but seemingly good info with stuff I need to learn more about. What is the thought behind the collapse of housing?

Good stuff here. Well, not good news but seemingly good info with stuff I need to learn more about. What is the thought behind the collapse of housing?

Uh... it's gone from 20% interest in 1981 to 3.23% today and since people buy houses based on payments the prices are therefore artificially inflated in the extreme? Specifically in places with more people and thus more stupidity.

You know. The obvious.

Uh... it's gone from 20% interest in 1981 to 3.23% today and since people buy houses based on payments the prices are therefore artificially inflated in the extreme? Specifically in places with more people and thus more stupidity.

You know. The obvious.

I don't get what your saying. Interest rates have been this low for years. Your specifically predicting a collapse due to lost wages from corona and the uncertainty of new buyers?

I don't get what your saying. Interest rates have been this low for years. Your specifically predicting a collapse due to lost wages from corona and the uncertainty of new buyers?

Just because they've been this low for years doesn't mean it is any less stupid or distorted by the fed.

And yes, when unemployment doesn't go immediately back down it's going to get crushed. And it won't, the idea of pent up demand for things beyond simple stuff like haircuts is mostly a pipe dream.

The money isn't there. And if they print it they might have a dollar collapse which in this situation will kill housing because it was already distorted.

Housing is the 2nd biggest bubble on the planet, or more accurately is a subset of the biggest one -- long term debt.

Just because they've been this low for years doesn't mean it is any less stupid or distorted by the fed.

And yes, when unemployment doesn't go immediately back down it's going to get crushed. And it won't, the idea of pent up demand for things beyond simple stuff like haircuts is mostly a pipe dream.

The money isn't there. And if they print it they might have a dollar collapse which in this situation will kill housing because it was already distorted.

Housing is the 2nd biggest bubble on the planet, or more accurately is a subset of the biggest one -- long term debt.

Ok. Got ya. The weird thing for me is that people on unemployment that I know are making more money with the extra $600. This whole thing is strange. I don't know one person who has or knows someone with corona. And I don't know one person negatively affected financially, other than seeing 401k's drop.

Ok. Got ya. The weird thing for me is that people on unemployment that I know are making more money with the extra $600. This whole thing is strange. I don't know one person who has or knows someone with corona. And I don't know one person negatively affected financially, other than seeing 401k's drop.

Debt levels in this country worse than 1929 per capita.

Damn near infinite leverage makes that worse.

This thing blew a hole in the titanic. It takes a while to sink. That's why you hear the Democrats talking 2k/month and other bats--- insane economic ideas. They know it's going to be 'necessary' (nevermind it's because of them in the first place) so they're counting on mostly people not realizing that

They are correct.

They give 5-10x to corporations and we get peanuts to keep things liquid. Inflation goes out of control and "nobody could have foreseen it...."

Riiiiiight.... but that's the playbook.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Debt levels in this country worse than 1929 per capita.

Damn near infinite leverage makes that worse.

This thing blew a hole in the titanic. It takes a while to sink. That's why you hear the Democrats talking 2k/month and other bats--- insane economic ideas. They know it's going to be 'necessary' (nevermind it's because of them in the first place) so they're counting on mostly people not realizing that

They are correct.

They give 5-10x to corporations and we get peanuts to keep things liquid. Inflation goes out of control and "nobody could have foreseen it...."

Riiiiiight.... but that's the playbook.

I don't really think you can label it a "them" problem when trump has federal budgets as big or bigger than Obama. His fingerprints are all over our deficit just as much as any Democrat.

I'm curious whats been supporting the housing market, it's been on a vetical fro quite awhile now. . I watched a show on the affects on the housing market after the 2008-9 collapse, it was unable to pin point what or who, but some entity is buying forclosure loan products to keep the market, and this has been happening since 2012.

Anyone have an idea who ?

I don't really think you can label it a "them" problem when trump has federal budgets as big or bigger than Obama. His fingerprints are all over our deficit just as much as any Democrat.

Statists. Bigger statists. If you don't think they're toasting our stupidity with each other behind closed doors you're foolish. They're all actors in a kabuki theatre.

Trump is a snake thrown in a snake pit to agitate. Right or wrong. Nobody likes him unless they're stupid. A lot of us still enjoy the horror on the faces of people who should know better. It's the schoolyard equivalent of laughing at the self righteous narc.

Trump gets defended because right or wrong nobody on the left gave him anything resembling a fair chance. That doesn't make him good for the country but some people recognize that fact regardless.

The Democrats are beyond horrible economically. You can talk about deficits but when you can't cut spending because the other side won't let you it ain't on you. And trying to take credit for say... Clinton's balanced budgets (when they stole the social security funds to "balance") or trying to give obama credit for the economy when he self admittedly didnt know anything about it and had an anemic at best recovery... well... some of us actually have a clue about time and how economics work.

Like it or not we will eventually be forced to cut spending in a way that makes some people gasp in horror. The dollar collapsing will end it one way or another.

Those people are wrong and idiots but that's life.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
I'm curious whats been supporting the housing market, it's been on a vetical fro quite awhile now. . I watched a show on the affects on the housing market after the 2008-9 collapse, it was unable to pin point what or who, but some entity is buying forclosure loan products to keep the market, and this has been happening since 2012.

The fed.

The FED and other central banks.

The primary reason the housing market is going to collapse is because we are entering a liquidity trap. Banks, all the way up the chain, are over leveraged on their balance sheets so they are holding cash to keep from getting upside down, or requiring larger down payments than we have been accustomed to in the last 20 years.

Just remember that in 2008, the housing collapse really only happened in 4 states and that led to 14% of housing nationwide to drop. That was enough to collapse the global economy. Housing is like any other commodity: lose 3-5% of demand and it has a cascade effect.

this whole thing actually started last September but went largely unnoticed. The FED pumped 250 billion of liquidity into the investment banks over 3 days because they didn't have enough cash to cover their overnight reserve requirements.

Statists. Bigger statists. If you don't think they're toasting our stupidity with each other behind closed doors you're foolish. They're all actors in a kabuki theatre.

Trump is a snake thrown in a snake pit to agitate. Right or wrong. Nobody likes him unless they're stupid. A lot of us still enjoy the horror on the faces of people who should know better. It's the schoolyard equivalent of laughing at the self righteous narc.

Trump gets defended because right or wrong nobody on the left gave him anything resembling a fair chance. That doesn't make him good for the country but some people recognize that fact regardless.

The Democrats are beyond horrible economically. You can talk about deficits but when you can't cut spending because the other side won't let you it ain't on you. And trying to take credit for say... Clinton's balanced budgets (when they stole the social security funds to "balance") or trying to give obama credit for the economy when he self admittedly didnt know anything about it and had an anemic at best recovery... well... some of us actually have a clue about time and how economics work.

Like it or not we will eventually be forced to cut spending in a way that makes some people gasp in horror. The dollar collapsing will end it one way or another.

Those people are wrong and idiots but that's life.

Everyday I wonder why both sides fail to bring forth a moderate candidate instead of these wackos. Only reason I can think of is that we as a society truly are a bunch of idiots. I would gladly vote for the first side to bring forth a moderate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT