ADVERTISEMENT

Mark my words....

Solana Beach Husker

Offensive Coordinator
Aug 8, 2008
Our next three games will be very inconsistent. We could have two losses and be 2-3 going into the game against Wisky. We will be big underdogs. But I think we beat Wisky at home, which will be our best win in a long time and that will get the ball rolling. Our offense is one step away from clicking and it is experience and confidence that is leading to the inconsistency. The moment guys are comfortable we begin rolling. I expect that to happen after the bye.

Reactions: zrob and cidsports
Our next three games will be very inconsistent. We could have two losses and be 2-3 going into the game against Wisky. We will be big underdogs. But I think we beat Wisky at home, which will be our best win in a long time and that will get the ball rolling. Our offense is one step away from clicking and it is experience and confidence that is leading to the inconsistency. The moment guys are comfortable we begin rolling. I expect that to happen after the bye.

Marked.

Wisconsin win would be big

Mike Riley has the biggest win in quite some time to this point beating a final four team - and this in his first year.

Should clarify - biggest in the sense of the opponent quality. Other wins were bigger as it kept Nebraska in a title hunt

Reactions: CMB7590
This is where Nebraska fans go over board and get themselves in trouble. Wisconsin in the 1st two games? 111-0. That's right Z E RO! You have a better chance at beating Iowa.

No I am not a flamer, but this post is crazy.
Nebraska has been a bi-polar team for a while now. His prediction may just be crazy enough for Nebraska to win.

This is where Nebraska fans go over board and get themselves in trouble. Wisconsin in the 1st two games? 111-0. That's right Z E RO! You have a better chance at beating Iowa.

Talent + coaching = wins

As long as we continue to struggle the focus will remain on the former part of the equation because a discussion involving the latter half would be too uncomfortable.

At some point the equation becomes;

Coaching = wins. when you realize that acquiring talent is part of the job description

Two non-power 5 teams that were a collective 8-17 last year playing non-power 5 schedules.

cant run the ball when it counts
thats the problem
9 minute drives in the 2nd half is what wins games
One thing I haven't seen posted (and I didn't dive into the 2nd Half Game Thread) is why did we pass on first down in the 4th quarter after recovering the fumbled KR? Being able to run another 30-40 seconds off the clock or force Colorado to burn timeouts earlier would have been helpful.

I understand trying to take a shot in a sudden change situation, but not with the way our offense was struggling. Unless the coaches figured that was the only way we could shut the door.

What's the old saying? Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right?

Talent + coaching = wins

As long as we continue to struggle the focus will remain on the former part of the equation because a discussion involving the latter half would be too uncomfortable.

At some point the equation becomes;

Coaching = wins. when you realize that acquiring talent is part of the job description

The word talent and coaching are broad and unspecific. We have a freshman at center...true sophomores at RB and QB, and Spielman, although a good player is not a possession outlet receiver, doesn't demand a double team, so he isn't a true #1. Robinson is a true freshman who is learning the game at this level and having to do it at two positions. Our line continuity will be much better by 5 weeks from now, AM will have at least one or two more targets that he has confidence in, and these targets will know the offense better or be back from injury. Washington, Robinson, and maybe even our younger backs will see the field, and maybe Mills will decide to actually try to hit a hole in 5 weeks instead of running through people. Our offense isn't full of 5th year seniors, and that is good...we have explosive talent but almost no experience at many key positions. So it will be inconsistent at best. Stretches of great play and then a bunch of 3 and outs. Wisky will be the first game where we begin to see the full offense start to click. Our defense is good is it is protected. The two are a tandem. Our offense explodes for points and puts the other team in a situation where they have to take chances. The script was followed perfectly against the buffs except our offense fell out of sync which left our defense on the field too long. 17-0 against a Pac 10 team isn't going to cut it...especially in heat and altitude.

Last edited:
During yesterday’s presser after the Colorado game Scott Frost apologized to the fans. “I promise you guys this is going to get better.” And the Nebraska players are pissed, as you’d expect, I suppose. How times has he said that and nothing but the same results after we lost to a weak team that we should have beat. This year is a wash. I suppose it’s going to take maybe another few more years to win big games. Maybe he should have stayed at UCF or went to Florida where his offense would have flourished with top talent there. Nebraska will never get the SEC talents to come here.

86528874.jpg

Wisky, tOSU, no chance.
We are built to handle teams like Wisky, Iowa, and Michigan state. The oregon model is to jump on teams early with explosive plays. Wisky has a suspect secondary and is prone to giving up big plays. We can score quickly. If they have a massive size advantage they will still take a while to score...so in cases when they should be killing us, like last year, all three of those teams kept the game close. Our strength is their strength...now if our line continues to be garbage, and our wrs don't get open and AM is afraid to throw near a coverage receiver then we'll get rocked. All three of those things are fixable in a few weeks since they mostly have to do with understanding the offense and having confidence.

We are built to handle teams like Wisky, Iowa, and Michigan state. The oregon model is to jump on teams early with explosive plays. Wisky has a suspect secondary and is prone to giving up big plays. We can score quickly. If they have a massive size advantage they will still take a while to score...so in cases when they should be killing us, like last year, all three of those teams kept the game close. Our strength is their strength...now if our line continues to be garbage, and our wrs don't get open and AM is afraid to throw near a coverage receiver then we'll get rocked. All three of those things are fixable in a few weeks since they mostly have to do with understanding the offense and having confidence.

Wisky vs tOSU should be a damn good Conference Champ game.

GBR

The word talent and coaching are broad and unspecific. We have a freshman at center...true sophomores at RB and QB, and Spielman, although a good player is not a possession outlet receiver, doesn't demand a double team, so he isn't a true #1. Robinson is a true freshman who is learning the game at this level and having to do it at two positions. Our line continuity will be much better by 5 weeks from now, AM will have at least one or two more targets that he has confidence in, and these targets will know the offense better or be back from injury. Washington, Robinson, and maybe even our younger backs will see the field, and maybe Mills will decide to actually try to hit a hole in 5 weeks instead of running through people. Our offense isn't full of 5th year seniors, and that is good...we have explosive talent but almost no experience at many key positions. So it will be inconsistent at best. Stretches of great play and then a bunch of 3 and outs. Wisky will be the first game where we begin to see the full offense start to click. Our defense is good is it is protected. The two are a tandem. Our offense explodes for points and puts the other team in a situation where they have to take chances. The script was followed perfectly against the buffs except our offense fell out of sync which left our defense on the field too long. 17-0 against a Pac 10 team isn't going to cut it...especially in heat and altitude.

Blowng a 17-0 lead at half against a defense like CU is unacceptable, but become commonplace at Nebraska. Your explanation is simply that...more excuses. I don't see a fire in these kids hearts and I suspect the problem is rooted in a profound disbelief in themselves. If Frost can't fix it, I doubt anybody can and if we can't recruit this year...

Predicting a future Husker loss with this team is like predicting the sun will come up.

Wisconsin will wipe the floor with your team. I can’t believe you all still can’t see that you’re team roster if, top to bottom, full of pussies who can’t hang nor play a physical brand of football. Your best bet is to pray for a miracle but I’m pretty sure even God hates the crap of your fan base because of the sheer arrogance of you mouth breathers.

Wisconsin will wipe the floor with your team. I can’t believe you all still can’t see that you’re team roster if, top to bottom, full of pussies who can’t hang nor play a physical brand of football. Your best bet is to pray for a miracle but I’m pretty sure even God hates the crap of your fan base because of the sheer arrogance of you mouth breathers.
why no angry?

Almost as crazy as spending a ton of time on a message board that isn’t your team.
First trip here and will likely be my last. I’m trying to teach you all how to be humble and objective. You are fans of a below average program, yet think for some reason you can legitimately talk about winning divisions or a natty. Your team sucks, it’s not the end of the world just own it fellas. And when the top of the Big Ten east and west decide its time to smack your worthless team around the field, embrace it. Or go back to the big 12/90s when you were all actually relevant and competitive lol.

Reactions: Millardhawk
First trip here and will likely be my last. I’m trying to teach you all how to be humble and objective. You are fans of a below average program, yet think for some reason you can legitimately talk about winning divisions or a natty. Your team sucks, it’s not the end of the world just own it fellas. And when the top of the Big Ten east and west decide its time to smack your worthless team around the field, embrace it. Or go back to the big 12/90s when you were all actually relevant and competitive lol.
You really are stupid aren’t you? This is a message board. A HUSKER MESSAGE BOARD. And you are here graciously, out of the goodness of your own heart, taking time out of your day to grace us with your presence and teach us humility and objectivity.

I’m gonna encourage you to try an experiment... go to the Iowa State Board, the Minnesota Board, and the Wisconsin board and teach them about humility and objectivity and see how well received it is.

I’ll bet they treat you the same way you are treated here.

Do you really believe you’re doing a good thing here? Cuz I don’t. But by all means, measure the entire husker fan base by this board. Awesome.

Dude you are clueless. This is a forum for fans. Its iowa fans like you are main reason the Iowa program is never taken seriously. Even when Nebraska struggles they still get more National respect than lil ole Iowa.

I would be totally ok with that. I hope the stars align and everything comes together for the Huskers and they totally embarrass Wisconsin. It’s time we beat those Cheeseheads! It might as well be the Bowl game for the Huskers because I foresee another losing season.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but this team is not ready. I think there is talent and athleticism on the team but they have no Offensive identity, are not consistent, do not know how to win close games, do not know how to finish, do not know how to win on the road, are not mentally tough, do not have tough leaders like Wistrom and Jason Peter to rally guys. They are simply not ready yet. Not sure how long it’s going to take. 5-7 years? Hopefully not.

I thought in Year 2 the Colorado game was a chance to make a statement and show that they could win on the road. But just same old lousy play seen for the last 15 years. Nebraska is nowhere close to being contenders and has a lot to prove on the field. They are in total reboot. Probably the same as when Devaney arrived after decades of futility.

Reactions: saluno22
We won’t be a good team again until we field an offensive line that can run block.

We had 180 yards on the ground while getting sacked 6 times. Yes the lines need retooled but you can't blame all of our woes on the offensive line. Frost hitched his wagon to one QB and we have to deal with the questions of what would this offense look like with Mcaffrey in? Because Adrian is a detriment to this offense.

We had 180 yards on the ground while getting sacked 6 times. Yes the lines need retooled but you can't blame all of our woes on the offensive line. Frost hitched his wagon to one QB and we have to deal with the questions of what would this offense look like with Mcaffrey in? Because Adrian is a detriment to this offense.
I didn’t “blame all our woes” on the offensive line. But that is where it begins. You have to be able to run between the tackles and, for the second straight week, we couldn’t ... against two of the weaker defenses we will see all year. Even Frost mentioned this inability in his presser. If you can run between the tackles it makes everything else work: play action slants and passes to tight ends, passes into the flat, zone read runs to the perimeter, etc... It is much harder to get the ball to our speed talent in open space if the middle isn’t respected.

And Adrian is struggling, but he sure as hell isnt the reason we lost and he sure as hell isnt a detriment.

If Nebraska holds this Wisconsin team under 50 points I will be shocked. Jonathan Taylor should be playing in the NFL right now.

Reactions: Huskred01
Nice paragraph

Reactions: EATAFAT1
One thing I haven't seen posted (and I didn't dive into the 2nd Half Game Thread) is why did we pass on first down in the 4th quarter after recovering the fumbled KR? Being able to run another 30-40 seconds off the clock or force Colorado to burn timeouts earlier would have been helpful.

I understand trying to take a shot in a sudden change situation, but not with the way our offense was struggling. Unless the coaches figured that was the only way we could shut the door.

What's the old saying? Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right?
Here is my problem with the pass. If Frost thought that was the way to win the game when he could have tried to run the ball and eat clock. Then why did he not pass on 1st and 2nd down in overtime. We did the opposite in each case. Score a touchdown in OT and the game is over. Instead we run the ball and rely on a punter to kick a 40+ yard FG to tie and go into double OT. The play calling was beyond maddening and should be questioned.

Here is my problem with the pass. If Frost thought that was the way to win the game when he could have tried to run the ball and eat clock. Then why did he not pass on 1st and 2nd down in overtime. We did the opposite in each case. Score a touchdown in OT and the game is over. Instead we run the ball and rely on a punter to kick a 40+ yard FG to tie and go into double OT. The play calling was beyond maddening and should be questioned.

AM had completed 30% of his passes at that point in the 2nd half. The Buffs were dropping zone a ton but NU had no interior running game. The passing game was suspect at best at the point. Getting to a short yardage situation would have allowed a lot more options to run and throw for Adrian. They picked the best two plays and Mo didn't hit the prescribed holes and did his dancing thing. The 1st play was a zone read but Mo ran directly through Adrians running lane which of course had the mesh point defender sitting there. And on the 2nd run Mo decided to bounce it instead of running in between the two pulling lineman. The 3rd fdown play was a bad snap. So a true sophomore with limited experience made two running blunders and a freshman center made a bad snap and a sophomore qb didn't run the sideline to throw it away. I wonder if the outcome would have been different if even one of these guys was an upperclassman.

Reactions: saluno22
You HOK losers are the worse. Taking about a bunch of blow hards with no significant accomplishments to back it up. I'll always be cheering on Iowa State over your team! Go Cyclones

AM had completed 30% of his passes at that point in the 2nd half. The Buffs were dropping zone a ton but NU had no interior running game. The passing game was suspect at best at the point. Getting to a short yardage situation would have allowed a lot more options to run and throw for Adrian. They picked the best two plays and Mo didn't hit the prescribed holes and did his dancing thing. The 1st play was a zone read but Mo ran directly through Adrians running lane which of course had the mesh point defender sitting there. And on the 2nd run Mo decided to bounce it instead of running in between the two pulling lineman. The 3rd fdown play was a bad snap. So a true sophomore with limited experience made two running blunders and a freshman center made a bad snap and a sophomore qb didn't run the sideline to throw it away. I wonder if the outcome would have been different if even one of these guys was an upperclassman.
Which is why running the ball directly after the KR fumble recovery made the most since. Run clock and force them to use timeouts. If we get one first down there we most likely win the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT