ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Dantonio

And some of you think way too highly of the attractiveness of this job. If Frost is let go, then even the golden child homegrown guy couldn't turn it around. No established coach is taking that job. It will be a 48-55 year old with head coaching experience at a FCS or G5 program or a young 35-45 year old coordinator, thinking I can do what Stoops did at Oklahoma.
This. Exactly why I think Frost needs a few more years. I really hate to say that. But 2021 college football is not 1995 college football. And NU is not what it once was. Right now we’re in the conversation with KU and Illinois not Ohio State and Alabama. So the idea that we’re a desirable job and going to land a splash hire that will compete for BIG championships and therefore playoff spots within a few years is boarder line laughable.

I’m not a Frost apologist, but if we fire two 9 win coaches and the prodigal son inside of 20 years, all three of which make up the major of those 20 years, no coach worth his salt is going to look at NU and say, “ gee looks like a great gig.” As much as it pains me, extreme patience may be necessary. And if not not, at some point. Frost is a young coach, still learning to be a Head Coach. We may not like OJT at NU, but that’s what we have and that’s probably what we need. Let him grow.

He was also one of only five big ten coaches to ever have five 11 win seasons and 3 big Ten championships. I bet your past 3 coaches don't have that many combined but yeah he was out coached.
You're definitely being an ass and a jerk, it started with you first post. Now run along as you are no longer needed here.

Spartan here: Dantonio did NOT leave under any ethical scrutiny. He's as good a man as they come. Those that know the program well--and parents, former players, etc. all rave about the quality of the man.
You won't find anyone (outside of an ugly attempt to smear Izzo and Coach D with the Nassar brush, which was exhaustively investigated and both men had zero knowledge, culpability, involvement, etc.) who knows Coach D who doesn't RAVE.

But, he's done Coaching. He's a very strong family man, and he's a new grandparent and that was a big reason for his retirement. And, he remains in a paid position that matters and has impact at MSU.

While he'd be a great choice, I doubt he's interested in getting back into the game.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...re-lawsuit-contract/qi49flhn18gv1j70f7aubsjfl

Mark Dantonio dropped the first bombshell of the college football offseason on Tuesday, announcing his resignation as Michigan State's head coach after 13 years at the position.

Dantonio in a release said he would remain with the program "in a role involving special projects, especially transitioning our players, both current and incoming, to their next challenges." That said, the timing of his resignation — the day before National Signing Day — is curious: He was also named in a lawsuit on Tuesday by former staffer Curtis Blackwell, who alleges Dantonio committed NCAA violations.

A lot of Ohio St fans were mad when some FCS coach named Jim Tressel was hired after Cooper was fired. So don't get wrapped up in the flavor of the month.

Reactions: leodisflowers
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...re-lawsuit-contract/qi49flhn18gv1j70f7aubsjfl

Mark Dantonio dropped the first bombshell of the college football offseason on Tuesday, announcing his resignation as Michigan State's head coach after 13 years at the position.

Dantonio in a release said he would remain with the program "in a role involving special projects, especially transitioning our players, both current and incoming, to their next challenges." That said, the timing of his resignation — the day before National Signing Day — is curious: He was also named in a lawsuit on Tuesday by former staffer Curtis Blackwell, who alleges Dantonio committed NCAA violations.

Just an FYI - in that "lawsuit" (I use the term loosely), Blackwell's lawyer's were sanctioned twice for money damages, and finally with the dismissal of the case, which is very rare in a Fed law suit. There was no merit, no settlement (or offer of settlement), and the primary strategy was to try to smear Dantonio into settling, and the tactics resulted only in fines and a dismissal of the case. At no point was Dantonio concerned about it.

Just an FYI - in that "lawsuit" (I use the term loosely), Blackwell's lawyer's were sanctioned twice for money damages, and finally with the dismissal of the case, which is very rare in a Fed law suit. There was no merit, no settlement (or offer of settlement), and the primary strategy was to try to smear Dantonio into settling, and the tactics resulted only in fines and a dismissal of the case. At no point was Dantonio concerned about it.
Spoken like an MSU fan. No different than Penn state argued about Paterno, OSU about Tressel, and so on and so on.

I am not certain the issues that other fans had with Dantonio. Never saw any fire where perceived smoke was.

I feel that NU cannot afford to F up this hire so it needs to be as close to a sure thing as possible (the program is now being talked of as 'dead' nationally). That means former coaches with a track record of success in the Big 10. Dantonio was great coach at Michigan St that inherited a lot of garbage around him. At 65 he's older but I doubt he's done coaching.
plus he is a jackass

ADVERTISEMENT