ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Dantonio

Dantonio was not fired. He stepped down after a couple of tough 7 wins seasons. He accumulated 114 wins, seven 10 win seasons, three Big 10 championships, and 11 wins vs Ohio State and Michigan. I think any Nebraska fan would kill to have that kind of success. Unfortunately it probably won't be happening anytime soon.
LOL. Stepped down after being told he would be fired if he didn't. He reached a deal with the administration to save them both face. Good for him. He left the program in a mess.

He also left the program flush with cash and the trophy case full. More than Nebraska can say in recent years.
lol. We're fine in the cash department and there seems to be plenty of trophies in Lincoln. Don't get me wrong, I respect how he left but don't kid yourself. He was going one way or another whether it was walking out on friendly terms or kicking and screaming.

Reactions: HuskerO
LOL. Thinking small? We hired the hottest young coach in college football after winning the battle for his services over CFB powers and we paid him $5 Million per year. Small my ass. If it doesn't work out it wasn't because we "thought small". How has "thinking big" worked out for Texass or Michigan? It looks like sticking with Harbaugh after the disaster they had may finally be working out with Michigan. Texass? They're doomed to continue to fail. The same goes for USC.
I agree, getting Matt Campbell would be a long shot. However, with OU and Texas leaving the Big 12, the Big 12 will not have the luster it may have had. Add to that that Campbell will lose a ton of talent off his team at season's end so they will take a step back next year. If he were willing to leave, this off season might be the time for it, but I think Nebraska would have to dig somewhat deep into the piggy bank to lure him. As for not beating Iowa, he will achieve that some day, but this season was his best chance. He would be able to recruit better talent here then he can at ISU which I firmly believe would (unlike with Frost) equate on the field. Campbell would make us a contender for the West year in and year out...IMOP

Left under a lot of ethical scrutiny
Spartan here: Dantonio did NOT leave under any ethical scrutiny. He's as good a man as they come. Those that know the program well--and parents, former players, etc. all rave about the quality of the man.
You won't find anyone (outside of an ugly attempt to smear Izzo and Coach D with the Nassar brush, which was exhaustively investigated and both men had zero knowledge, culpability, involvement, etc.) who knows Coach D who doesn't RAVE.

But, he's done Coaching. He's a very strong family man, and he's a new grandparent and that was a big reason for his retirement. And, he remains in a paid position that matters and has impact at MSU.

While he'd be a great choice, I doubt he's interested in getting back into the game.

Spartan here: Dantonio did NOT leave under any ethical scrutiny. He's as good a man as they come. Those that know the program well--and parents, former players, etc. all rave about the quality of the man.
You won't find anyone (outside of an ugly attempt to smear Izzo and Coach D with the Nassar brush, which was exhaustively investigated and both men had zero knowledge, culpability, involvement, etc.) who knows Coach D who doesn't RAVE.

But, he's done Coaching. He's a very strong family man, and he's a new grandparent and that was a big reason for his retirement. And, he remains in a paid position that matters and has impact at MSU.

While he'd be a great choice, I doubt he's interested in getting back into the game.
I couldn't of said it better myself. Thanks Desert.

Reactions: SkOw
Dantonio was not fired. He stepped down after a couple of tough 7 wins seasons. He accumulated 114 wins, seven 10 win seasons, three Big 10 championships, and 11 wins vs Ohio State and Michigan. I think any Nebraska fan would kill to have that kind of success. Unfortunately it probably won't be happening anytime soon.
He is their best coach ever, sadly he is also their best coach ever.

You are kidding right? Izzo is a jerk. I love what he has done at MSU but the dude is an ass. It is okay to be a great coach and an asshole.

His politicking for Bruce Weber was gross.

• Haha
Reactions: JDMEvergreen
You are kidding right? Izzo is a jerk. I love what he has done at MSU but the dude is an ass. It is okay to be a great coach and an asshole.

Wrong. If you just see his sideline antics it would be easy to assume he is an ass and a jerk. He is a fiery italian from Michigan's upper peninsula so he can be very intense and demanding. But he is great mentor and father figure that cares about the kids more than anyone. They come in as boys and most of them leave the program as well rounded young men.

Reactions: JDMEvergreen
Wrong. If you just see his sideline antics it would be easy to assume he is an ass and a jerk. He is a fiery italian from Michigan's upper peninsula so he can be very intense and demanding. But he is great mentor and father figure that cares about the kids more than anyone. They come in as boys and most of them leave the program as well rounded young men.
I mean, it is both. Why is that so hard to understand.

Think of it like this, when you get mad while driving and swear or honk or cut people off, you are an asshole.

Doesn't mean that the other 23 hours and 59 minutes of the day you were an asshole, you were probably great.

Tom can be an asshole, like all of us.

Reactions: Spartyten

A "jerk"? An "ass"?

Again, ask ANYONE who knows Izzo--former players, former parents, administrators, other coaches, reporters--seriously, anyone. You will not get a single "jerk" or "an ass". Not one.

He's an incredibly down to earth, caring, real guy. Makes time for everyone. Doesn't "big time" anyone. Honest, hardworking, tough.

He's intense on the sidelines, but ask his players how they feel about it. (They love him and appreciate his passion.) Ask refs if they hate him, or if he's high on their list of coaches they dislike. (He isn't.)

Go back and look at polls of the BIG players when they ask "Which opposing Coach would you most like to play for?" (Hint, hint on the answer.)

Don't take my word for it. Ask around.

A "jerk"? An "ass"?

Again, ask ANYONE who knows Izzo--former players, former parents, administrators, other coaches, reporters--seriously, anyone. You will not get a single "jerk" or "an ass". Not one.

He's an incredibly down to earth, caring, real guy. Makes time for everyone. Doesn't "big time" anyone. Honest, hardworking, tough.

He's intense on the sidelines, but ask his players how they feel about it. (They love him and appreciate his passion.) Ask refs if they hate him, or if he's high on their list of coaches they dislike. (He isn't.)

Go back and look at polls of the BIG players when they ask "Which opposing Coach would you most like to play for?" (Hint, hint on the answer.)

Don't take my word for it. Ask around.
Refs hate him
He did all he could to try and make sure Bruce Weber kept his job (I wonder why?)

Look, answer this question, do you think that Izzo, like all of us, myself include, is sometimes a jerk and an ass, like do you think he has ever in his life been a jerk or an ass? I have been, lots of times, I am guess you would admit that you have as well. Do you think Izzo has ever been a jerk or an ass in his life?

I like him, I think he is a great guy. I am also sure that he is, at times, a jerk and an asshole. Don't you think so?

It is so weird to think that you can't be both, great and a jerk. We are all that!!

Reactions: Spartyten
Magic Mark was also 2-4 against Nebraska, somehow managing to get outcoached by both Smilin' MIke Riley and Scott Frost...no thanks
Ha...and one of those wins was almost a total collapse when Moore basically caught TD pass to win the game.

Magic Mark was also 2-4 against Nebraska, somehow managing to get outcoached by both Smilin' MIke Riley and Scott Frost...no thanks
He was also one of only five big ten coaches to ever have five 11 win seasons and 3 big Ten championships. I bet your past 3 coaches don't have that many combined but yeah he was out coached.

I feel that NU cannot afford to F up this hire so it needs to be as close to a sure thing as possible (the program is now being talked of as 'dead' nationally). That means former coaches with a track record of success in the Big 10. Dantonio was great coach at Michigan St that inherited a lot of garbage around him. At 65 he's older but I doubt he's done coaching.
He has a heart condition for God's sake.

Also, Dantonio was the perfect "fit" for MSU. He had coached for years at MSU as an assistant (under Sabin). He understood the realities of recruiting against UofM, ND, and OSU so he looked for character and passion and developed the players. He had time to develop his program process. Unfortunately the game has changed transfer portal and players are impatient. There is no bigger fan of Mark Dantonio then me. What he did at MSU is incredible. However I don't think he could replicate that success at another school in the "new" climate. And by the way, he and his wife are loving retirement and being grandparents. I don't see him going back to the grind of being a head coach.

Reactions: LRob
Also, Dantonio was the perfect "fit" for MSU. He had coached for years at MSU as an assistant (under Sabin). He understood the realities of recruiting against UofM, ND, and OSU so he looked for character and passion and developed the players. He had time to develop his program process. Unfortunately the game has changed transfer portal and players are impatient. There is no bigger fan of Mark Dantonio then me. What he did at MSU is incredible. However I don't think he could replicate that success at another school in the "new" climate. And by the way, he and his wife are loving retirement and being grandparents. I don't see him going back to the grind of being a head coach.
I feel like once you retire and have been out for a few years, it would be really hard to want to come back.

I feel like once you retire and have been out for a few years, it would be really hard to want to come back.
I find it strange that random message board guy has in depth knowledge of how much Dantonio and the Mrs are enjoying retirement and their grandkids and that is the reason he won't be coming back to coaching.

Reactions: SuperBigFan
I find it strange that random message board guy has in depth knowledge of how much Dantonio and the Mrs are enjoying retirement and their grandkids and that is the reason he won't be coming back to coaching.
Come on, MSU fans know everything!

This thread has way more life than it deserves. I am partially to blame

I know, look at all the big name head coaches that lined up for the job the last 4 times it was open. Outside of Frost, an alum, no hot current head coaches were even interviewed.

Like it or not the job is a career killer for HC. Solich - MAC lifer, Pelini - out of football - Callahan - NFL Oline coach - Riley - out of football.
Being considered the top OL coach in the NFL isn't considered a career killer in my eyes

ADVERTISEMENT