ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Cuban not playing National Anthem before games.

never forget @Capdanjou thinks media are held accountable because they sneak in retractions regarding the literal most important detail of huge front page stories onto the back page of weekend editions weeks/months later

how very noble
Give me a break. First of all, that conversation began with the accusation that there is no accountability in the media, which is false. And my response to the grossly misstated lack of media accountability was that the industry is far more transparent than the business class, which receives nearly universal praise on this forum as the cure-all for societal ills. Hell, you went on a rant the other day about good for nothing government agencies. Meanwhile in Texas, state officials put the energy grid in the hands of those wonderful energy tycoons, who's incompetence and greed have left huge swaths of the state without power during the worst winter storm in modern history. Accountability? Zero!

Sasse did not run unopposed. He was opposed by Republican Matt Innis in the May, 2020 GOP primary and Democrat Chris Janicek in the November, 2020 general election. You continue to spout misinformation.
He ran unopposed in the general. Janicek was dropped by the dems in the general and NDP called for write ins. He ran 10 points behind Trump in the primaries. His days in public life are numbered.

there is nothing good I can say about Ben Sasse.
You say there is nothing good about the man, which would include his record of voting overwhelmingly in line with Trump policies. Honest question, are you upset with his political record, or his vocal criticism of Trump?

Give me a break. First of all, that conversation began with the accusation that there is no accountability in the media, which is false. And my response to the grossly misstated lack of media accountability was that the industry is far more transparent than the business class, which receives nearly universal praise on this forum as the cure-all for societal ills. Hell, you went on a rant the other day about good for nothing government agencies. Meanwhile in Texas, state officials put the energy grid in the hands of those wonderful energy tycoons, who's incompetence and greed have left huge swaths of the state without power during the worst winter storm in modern history. Accountability? Zero!
I believe the conversation began with your insistence that media include legal advisors in vetting stories prior to publication, which they (obviously) do not.

this is yet another example.

in 2020, many of the largest media companies in the US paid out more than $100M in settlements each due to inaccurate reporting targeting individuals or companies.

I believe the conversation began with your insistence that media include legal advisors in vetting stories prior to publication, which they (obviously) do not.

this is yet another example.

in 2020, many of the largest media companies in the US paid out more than $100M in settlements each due to inaccurate reporting targeting individuals or companies.
Yea, we've been over this, and as per usual you are oversimplifying the matter. Is every single story, from the 100 word blurb to the 5,000 investigative piece thoroughly vetted by a team of lawyers? Of course not. But nearly all serious media have legal representation who they regularly consult with on sensitive topics. Sometimes the get it wrong. Considering the great number of stories published every year $100M is a drop in the bucket. But hey, lawyers sometimes get it wrong too. And when the business makes a mistake, they publish a retraction. If the error is egregious or intentional they face legal repercussions.

To be honest, I don't have a clue what you stand for, other than trashing just about everything and everyone. What do you do for a living? What has made you such a bitter old man?

Yea, we've been over this, and as per usual you are oversimplifying the matter. Is every single story, from the 100 word blurb to the 5,000 investigative piece thoroughly vetted by a team of lawyers? Of course not. But nearly all serious media have legal representation who they regularly consult with on sensitive topics. Sometimes the get it wrong. Considering the great number of stories published every year $100M is a drop in the bucket. But hey, lawyers sometimes get it wrong too. And when the business makes a mistake, they publish a retraction. If the error is egregious or intentional they face legal repercussions.

To be honest, I don't have a clue what you stand for, other than trashing just about everything and everyone. What do you do for a living? What has made you such a bitter old man?
when a story breaks and needs to be printed hours later, there is ZERO legal vetting by ANY media outlet. it's the job of the reporter and their desk to get it right. if they don't, legal will get involved to mitigate exposure as best as possible after the fact.

telling the truth isn't hard, and doesn't have nearly the caveats you seem to want to interject. once media conglomerates started buying up properties left and right, settlements went through the roof. community papers/publications don't get it wrong nearly as much as nationals simply because they're incentivized not to. large publications make their money independently from reporting actual facts, so settlements become a part of doing business as usual.

I'm glad you don't know what I stand for. choosing sides is for the playground.

when a story breaks and needs to be printed hours later, there is ZERO legal vetting by ANY media outlet. it's the job of the reporter and their desk to get it right. if they don't, legal will get involved to mitigate exposure as best as possible after the fact.

telling the truth isn't hard, and doesn't have nearly the caveats you seem to want to interject. once media conglomerates started buying up properties left and right, settlements went through the roof. community papers/publications don't get it wrong nearly as much as nationals simply because they're incentivized not to. large publications make their money independently from reporting actual facts, so settlements become a part of doing business as usual.

I'm glad you don't know what I stand for. choosing sides is for the playground.
Who said anything about choosing sides? Is that how you see the world? Simple and self-loathing. Not a great combination.

Who said anything about choosing sides? Is that how you see the world? Simple and self-loathing. Not a great combination.
it's okay to just say these words: 'I didn't know what I was talking about, and I was wrong. thank you for your interest in making me a more informed individual.'

accountability is as accountability does, friend.

Reactions: Lincoln100

I seriously wonder if you aren't a "bot" somewhere answering these posts. Do you in the depths of your heart (assuming you have one) really believe the media is accountable? This cannot be a serious statement of fact. I guess you have never heard of Operation Mockingbird even though a blast from the past, is alive and well. That explains why media outlets often use the same narratives and catch phrases. Have you ever read the family and political ties that exist between the left in government and the media? You also know there are lies of commission and omission so the media NOT reporting something they are protecting is just as bad.

As for Texas, I have no idea how their system works. But generally, the "tycoons" you refer to do not build or manage the grid. They do however, use subsidies by states and federal governments to build wind and solar power which was not able to meet demand for a variety of reasons. Who then is responsible for removing the constant and consistent energy sources? Oh, I suppose just the tycoons did that as well.

Finally, I suppose you are fine with the fact that Biden just gave China access to our power grid. In my wildest dreams I cannot see how you can get behind that. Where is the media outcry on this? If Trump said anything, the media was all over it. Not Joe he is our hero. At least I assume he is still alive.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
it's okay to just say these words: 'I didn't know what I was talking about, and I was wrong. thank you for your interest in making me a more informed individual.'

accountability is as accountability does, friend.
There, you've said the words, and I accept your apology.

You say there is nothing good about the man, which would include his record of voting overwhelmingly in line with Trump policies. Honest question, are you upset with his political record, or his vocal criticism of Trump?
we all know the answer to that question. Not sure what Sasse has done that isnt backed up by conservative principles other than speak reasonably about Trump.

I seriously wonder if you aren't a "bot" somewhere answering these posts. Do you in the depths of your heart (assuming you have one) really believe the media is accountable? This cannot be a serious statement of fact. I guess you have never heard of Operation Mockingbird even though a blast from the past, is alive and well. That explains why media outlets often use the same narratives and catch phrases. Have you ever read the family and political ties that exist between the left in government and the media? You also know there are lies of commission and omission so the media NOT reporting something they are protecting is just as bad.

As for Texas, I have no idea how their system works. But generally, the "tycoons" you refer to do not build or manage the grid. They do however, use subsidies by states and federal governments to build wind and solar power which was not able to meet demand for a variety of reasons. Who then is responsible for removing the constant and consistent energy sources? Oh, I suppose just the tycoons did that as well.

Finally, I suppose you are fine with the fact that Biden just gave China access to our power grid. In my wildest dreams I cannot see how you can get behind that. Where is the media outcry on this? If Trump said anything, the media was all over it. Not Joe he is our hero. At least I assume he is still alive.
I think you are oversimplifying matters. That is all.

Separately, why is it that business is never held to the same standard of accountability by people like you? Never ever. It's always the fault of government. Never mind that business has caused all many of social ills, but never once do people like you back down and admit that sometimes regulation is a good thing.

Texas is a mess. This is a fact. For all of the cheerleading on this board for the bastion of business opportunity that the state supposedly offers, it is also a complete dumpster fire in other areas. Why is it so hard to recognize both things? Yes, lots of business opportunity. And yes, hugely unequal, significantly uneducated, and an environmental mess.

I don't know what you're referring to regarding Biden giving China our power grid, but it smells like manufactured outrage by some talking head on Fox. I would need to know a lot more before I even began to form an opinion. However, if there is truth to what you're saying, and there is something awful and nefarious behind it, then yes, media should be covering the story.

Why is it so hard for conservatives to understand that just because we have a new president, that doesn't mean game over. We still have to hold government accountable. And when the next president is elected, hold em accountable, and so on and so forth.

I think you are oversimplifying matters. That is all.

Separately, why is it that business is never held to the same standard of accountability by people like you? Never ever. It's always the fault of government. Never mind that business has caused all many of social ills, but never once do people like you back down and admit that sometimes regulation is a good thing.

Texas is a mess. This is a fact. For all of the cheerleading on this board for the bastion of business opportunity that the state supposedly offers, it is also a complete dumpster fire in other areas. Why is it so hard to recognize both things? Yes, lots of business opportunity. And yes, hugely unequal, significantly uneducated, and an environmental mess.

I don't know what you're referring to regarding Biden giving China our power grid, but it smells like manufactured outrage by some talking head on Fox. I would need to know a lot more before I even began to form an opinion. However, if there is truth to what you're saying, and there is something awful and nefarious behind it, then yes, media should be covering the story.

Why is it so hard for conservatives to understand that just because we have a new president, that doesn't mean game over. We still have to hold government accountable. And when the next president is elected, hold em accountable, and so on and so forth.
yet, you cannot hold yourself accountable for an incorrect post under a pseudonym on an innocuous Husker sports message board.

oh, the irony.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
pathetic. says a lot about what you stand for.

honestly expected more. shame on me.
Yes, shame on you. You expect me to admit that I'm wrong based on the crap you're posting about media? Perhaps if you showed a little wiggle in my direction I'd do the same, but if we're being honest your content is filled with generalization and bile. It's hardly a cogent argument, much less factually accurate.

Yes, shame on you. You expect me to admit that I'm wrong based on the crap you're posting about media? Perhaps if you showed a little wiggle in my direction I'd do the same, but if we're being honest your content is filled with generalization and bile. It's hardly a cogent argument, much less factually accurate.
please post the parts that are 'crap' and factually inaccurate.

I did this for you, with much clarity. and I expect you to admit you're wrong not based on the 'crap' I'm posting, but based on it being true. you're very clearly over your skis on this topic, and insist on digging in your heels for some reason (pride?).

if you'd do this instead of deflecting, accusing me of being bitter, wondering what it is I stand for, then there would be a direction for me to perhaps wiggle to. instead, you don't seem very interested in pointing out even one thing you claim to be false.

here's my post, just to make it easy for you:

ADVERTISEMENT