ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Freeman Notre Dame

Kelly left because LSU will do anything to win and the talent is fertile as hell down there and did Fickell really turn them down? Yes, there are challenges at ND, but it is still a very prestigious school and I doubt there are 10 better jobs. There is money there galore and ND still has a ton of advantages. Freeman may be a good recruiter but that's only part of the puzzle. There's a lot that goes into being a head coach and he isn't proven. I stick with my point of ND could probably go get pretty much anyone they wanted and definitely a more seasoned hire.
HCSF wasn’t proven or seasoned but he became head football coach at Nebraska.

Yes I know there are a bunch of bigoted ***** on here. Thing is don't make it too obvious that you are a bigot.

I mean you could have listed Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley, Dabo Swinney, TOM OSBORNE or the numerous other WHITE assistant coaches who became head coach of their teams. Yet the bigots single out the black ones.

Then you say Notre Dame should be PISSED! You are assuming Notre Dame fans are as RACIST as Nebraska fans and that's rather presumptuous of you......

I think his comparison has more to do with they were both defensive guys promoted to H.C. and one already failed...the guys you mentioned were all offensive guys and have succeeded, he is projecting Freeman to fail so why would he compare Freeman to guys who didn't fail? That would be silly. You are literally trying to hard to inject race into this and look silly doing so. We have a word for people focused only on one's skin color like yourself.

He's an outstanding DC. We have no idea if it's a "great hire" as a HC.

I think it's a helluva gamble, honestly. ND doesn't seem like a head coach training ground to me.
They were staring at the same economics that we were and decided that Fickell and his buyout was too big of a gamble. Why would you give 4+ million per year guaranteed for 5-7 years and pay his 4 million+ buyout for a guy who 6-7 after taking over Tressel's team at OSU. They were LOADED. Kelly was at 2.5 million and they were looking at trying to find another MAC, AAC or MW head coach to fill their job more than likely. Frankly DeBoer might have been a good choice for them but he got offered more to coach the Huskies than Kelly was getting paid by ND. I think Notre Dame understands that not every school can buy their way in to the playoff.

Reactions: woodman79
You better look again at his resume. He was a little thin on his time as a head coach, but his resume is outstanding.

I think it's a helluva gamble, honestly. ND doesn't seem like a head coach training ground to me.
There was an interesting thread on coaching hires in the big ten actually. It was on the Purdue paid board and looking solely at big ten. But you have a higher chance of hitting on a coordinator from the p5 level vs a head coach from g5 level and if the hire played LB or QB. It was an interesting discussion.

I'm also not sure you can call him an outstanding DC yet, this is his first year as Notre Dame's Defensive Coordinator. They are 29th in total defense this year, but they were 25th in total defense last year and 18th the year before, and they've had an easier scheduler this year than the past couple years. So it's not like he turned the defense around.

His only other year as a Power 5 DC was as Co-DC at Purdue in 2016 and their defense was atrocious. He was DC at Cincinnati for a few years, but Fickell runs the defense there and their defense is actually better this year without Freeman as DC.

Reactions: woodman79
Look at where we are at. Frost also wasn't the choice I would have gone with. I also hate that NU constantly has to only pursue people who have a tie to NU in some way. It should be the best person for the job and in fact I think we should get away from that. People act like you have to be from NU to know the pressure when in fact their is a lot of pressure at most major football programs. Fan bases are passionate and the money backing donors want results. NU isn't different and needs to quit acting like it is.

I think his comparison has more to do with they were both defensive guys promoted to H.C. and one already failed...the guys you mentioned were all offensive guys and have succeeded, he is projecting Freeman to fail so why would he compare Freeman to guys who didn't fail? That would be silly. You are literally trying to hard to inject race into this and look silly doing so. We have a word for people focused only on one's skin color like yourself.
Did he SAY THAT??I'm sure he has his own mouth right?? This is the problem when bigots defend other bigots. Why do people like to try to get in the minds of people who can speak for themselves and justify foolery??

I know can I explain myself pretty well and never leave any doubt about why I said something. I don't need another man jacking my dick, like you dudes do each other daily on here, when I can jack it myself! You literally fell out your chair to jack his dick even tho he didn't ask you too!

He doesn't give a damn if he a DC or OC and probably didn't even know that til you mentioned it.

You remind of these fruitcakes in the media who constantly have to explain what dumbass Biden meant! Every RACIST thing he said about blacks was EXPLAINED by people just like YOU on CNN and MSNBC for years! FUK OUTTA HERE!

Did he SAY THAT??I'm sure he has his own mouth right?? This is the problem when bigots defend other bigots. Why do people like to try to get in the minds of people who can speak for themselves and justify foolery??

I know can I explain myself pretty well and never leave any doubt about why I said something. I don't need another man jacking my dick, like you dudes do each other daily on here, when I can jack it myself! You literally fell out your chair to jack his dick even tho he didn't ask you too!

He doesn't give a damn if he a DC or OC and probably didn't even know that til you mentioned it.

You remind of these fruitcakes in the media who constantly have to explain what dumbass Biden meant! Every RACIST thing he said about blacks was EXPLAINED by people just like YOU on CNN and MSNBC for years! FUK OUTTA HERE!

I hope your day gets better, and I'm sorry I offended you.

I find it interesting that Kelly can’t lure any of his assistants to come with him to Lsu

That's a good point. However, Kelly's total annual compensation at ND was way over 2.5 million.
The point is that Notre Dame itself is only directly paying Kelly $2.5 million per year. ND has let Kelly receive part of their Under Armour contract and money from other media sources.

LOL at anyone thinking ND was paying BK $2.5MM.....
That's the number for public consumption but there is little doubt that LSU is paying him a lot more or were willing to guarantee more or Kelly wouldn't have left. Coach's public salaries are never the complete package.

Oh I wonder what him and Jimmy Lake have in COMMON. Hmmm...oh maybe they have the same skin color right bigot??
I mean you could have listed Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley, Dabo Swinney, TOM OSBORNE or the numerous other WHITE assistant coaches who became head coach of their teams. Yet the bigots single out the black ones.

if the first thing that pops into your mind is skin color, you need to ask yourself if you're the racist.

Day, Riley, Swinney and Osbourne aren't young DC's that took over for teams that were on the periphery of playoff success with a near-legendary head coach. Lake was given a pair of shoes that were too big to fill, whereas all the guys you listed had heisman winners and national championship appearances, so my insinuation is that he's not going to pan out.

its almost a little impressive how poorly you interpreted what was said.

if the first thing that pops into your mind is skin color, you need to ask yourself if you're the racist.

Day, Riley, Swinney and Osbourne aren't young DC's that took over for teams that were on the periphery of playoff success with a near-legendary head coach. Lake was given a pair of shoes that were too big to fill, whereas all the guys you listed had heisman winners and national championship appearances, so my insinuation is that he's not going to pan out.

its almost a little impressive how poorly you interpreted what was said.
Yea right....we know what you meant! Your explanation didn't even make any sense because Lake didn't have big shoes to fill as Meyers and Stole were bigger shoes and Swinney didn't have any shoes to fill at all as his predecessor was fired mid season.

Come again..

Yea right....we know what you meant! Your explanation didn't even make any sense because Lake didn't have big shoes to fill as Meyers and Stole were bigger shoes and Swinney didn't have any shoes to fill at all as his predecessor was fired mid season.

Come again..
you being too dumb to understand what was meant isn't my problem.

each coach you listed filled the shoes just fine, were maybe even too big for the shoes.

can you tell me of another Defensive Coordinator that took over a team that had made it to the CFB playoff in the last 5 years?

you being too dumb to understand what was meant isn't my problem.

each coach you listed filled the shoes just fine, were maybe even too big for the shoes.

can you tell me of another Defensive Coordinator that took over a team that had made it to the CFB playoff in the last 5 years?
There have ONLY been 2 coaches (Day, Riley) who have took her their OWN team and mad the playoffs in the last 5 years so that's not a real good sample size is it?

Keep coming..

Notre Dame is cheap, they paid Kelly a $2.5 million salary but allowed Kelly to receive compensation from other sources like shoe companies. So Kelly got a cut of Notre Dames deal with Under Armour. Interesting strategy.

Notre Dame thinks they will win just because they are Notre Dame, they won't have to pay Freeman as much as this is his first HC job. Not sure if Morgan gets a cut of the new shoe contract in two years or if it's just Marcus.

ND paid Brian Kelly $7.5 million a year after his last extension. ND doesn’t release full salaries (private institutions don’t have to), the $2.5 was what was mandatory released for auditing purposes because where the funds come from. ND has over a $10 billion endowment, so most of their salaries don’t come from the actual University. So the small numbers aren’t the actual salaries.
As for Freeman, the Athletic is reporting the deal is 5 year, $28 million, so over $5.5 million per year for his first HC job.
ND not only matched LSU’s offer to Tommy Rees, they upped it a $100k a year.

If they can get who they want? Why did Kelly leave and why did fickell turn them down? There are at least 10 better jobs than ND based of amenities and pay. If Purdue and Nebraska were willing to pay 8 mil for a coach, which Purdue might need to to keep Brohm long term, and have invest the money to compete recruiting wise, they'd be just as good of jobs. The advantages ND had 30 years ago aren't advantages today. Please note I am not saying Purdue is as good of a job as ND. It's a long ways from it. If they win 8-9 next year and continue to invest, maybe get the 100 mil stadium project going, it would be able to compete with ND on high level recruits.

Freeman will up recruiting significantly for ND though.
Fickel did not turn ND down. ND is his drea job he would take it in a heart beat. He doesn't want to be a sleez ball like kelly and Riley he wants to wait till his team is done with playoff (which is the right thing to do) ND doesn't wants to sign someone now before the signing day. So this is the best option under given situation.

Reactions: cpfball05
Notre Dame was paying Kelly 2.5 million. Fickell is making 3.4 million at Cinci with a whole bunch less pressure....
This is not true.. Kelly was making closes to 7 mil / year.. ND compensates the coach differently listed salary is only part of the package..

I don't really care who anyone else hires, just as long as NU makes the right hires on offense and special teams.
and is all over recruiting , portal and nil...

How about Kirb smart @ georgia

Fickel did not turn ND down. ND is his drea job he would take it in a heart beat. He doesn't want to be a sleez ball like kelly and Riley he wants to wait till his team is done with playoff (which is the right thing to do) ND doesn't wants to sign someone now before the signing day. So this is the best option under given situation.
Sometimes people turn down their dream jobs because they are in good situations. See Jeff Brohm for details

Freeman is a risk because he is a first time head coach at a power five program. But for a first time head coach, he seems he will be able to retain 7 of the 10 assistants from Kelly’s Notre Dame staff. That maybe more huge than being a first time new major college head coach. A coup for him to have that experience from a good looking football staff. People very competent who know Notre Dame.

This is not true.. Kelly was making closes to 7 mil / year.. ND compensates the coach differently listed salary is only part of the package..
Anybody listing Kelly's total salary at Notre Dame is guessing. His listed salary was just north of 2.5 million but he's allowed to take compensation from outside sources with approval from his bosses. Kelly reportedly with outside income will be making over 15 million per year at LSU.

There have ONLY been 2 coaches (Day, Riley) who have took her their OWN team and mad the playoffs in the last 5 years so that's not a real good sample size is it?

Keep coming..
lol, at this point I can't tell if you're just a mental midget or enjoy making conflict out of nothing. let me literally draw a picture for you.

NAMEPREVIOUS POSITIONTAKING OVER CFP TEAM?
Ryan DayOffensive CoordinatorYes
Lincoln RileyOffensive CoordinatorYes
Dabo SwinneyWR CoachNo
Tom OsborneOffensive CoordinatorNo
Jimmy LakeDefensive CoordinatorYes
Marcus FreemanDefensive CoordinatorYes

do you have enough crayons to make sense of why its the most appropriate comparison or do I need to help you again?

Reactions: leodisflowers
lol, at this point I can't tell if you're just a mental midget or enjoy making conflict out of nothing. let me literally draw a picture for you.

NAMEPREVIOUS POSITIONTAKING OVER CFP TEAM?
Ryan DayOffensive CoordinatorYes
Lincoln RileyOffensive CoordinatorYes
Dabo SwinneyWR CoachNo
Tom OsborneOffensive CoordinatorNo
Jimmy LakeDefensive CoordinatorYes
Marcus FreemanDefensive CoordinatorYes

do you have enough crayons to make sense of why its the most appropriate comparison or do I need to help you again?
Hey dumbass I said Day n Riley were the OC's who took over in the LAST 5 YEARS. You can't fkn comprehend??

Why don't you and that other bigot who keeps "liking" your post go get a room since yall so queen for each other and make lame excuses for racism. FOH!

Freeman is a top 10 recruiter in the country, full stop. Notre Dame this year and in 2023 are building their best classes in recent history because of him. They’ve proven they can beat the teams they should, but at some point you can’t outscheme the talent gap they face with top tier teams. I can all but guarantee Freeman will elevate their roster talent and do it quickly, would find it much harder to see Fickell doing that. I’m sure he’ll botch clock management from time to time and make rookie mistakes but talent is most important.

Hey dumbass I said Day n Riley were the OC's who took over in the LAST 5 YEARS. You can't fkn comprehend??

Why don't you and that other bigot who keeps "liking" your post go get a room since yall so queen for each other and make lame excuses for racism. FOH!
I'm embarrassed for you.

please tell me you didn't have kids, and effectively reduce the collective IQ of humanity's gene pool.

ADVERTISEMENT