ADVERTISEMENT

Many on this team have already quit.

No it’s not. Bo kept the OC and the entire offense at TO’s insistence, he didn’t “adjust” anything and there was no adjustment for the players on that side of the ball. And if Frost has tried some wired hybrid, like Riley did, we would be hearing all the square peg round hole talk, we did back then. Plus, our offense was putrid last year, why keep on down that road?

So this is what you get when you go full rip the band aid off. It makes you understand why coaches like Riley and Pelini didn’t just rip the band aid off. The fan base wouldn’t tolerate it. Those two wouldn’t have had the stroke to to pull of 2-3 “growing pain” seasons.

Reactions: jeans15
So this is what you get when you go full rip the band aid off. It makes you understand why coaches like Riley and Pelini didn’t just rip the band aid off. The fan base wouldn’t tolerate it. Those two wouldn’t have had the stroke to to pull of 2-3 “growing pain” seasons.

7 year deal

Callahan tried the rip the band aide off approach too and it was ugly and we were a lot less used to ugly back then. It’s really a no win situation, especially in a fishbowl like Nebraska. Our transitions have been so dramatic on both sides of the ball, it’s been tough. A transition from Callahan to Riley or Pelion to Frost, would have been a lot easier, the offensive systems were similar enough you wouldn’t have to flip the roster, so much.

So this is what you get when you go full rip the band aid off. It makes you understand why coaches like Riley and Pelini didn’t just rip the band aid off. The fan base wouldn’t tolerate it. Those two wouldn’t have had the stroke to to pull of 2-3 “growing pain” would haveseasons.
I see your point Tuco and I agree that both Bo and Riley had shorter leashes than Frost has. But I think (and this is pure speculation since who the hell knows what would have happened) that if Bo had installed his read option offense in 2008, we would have been one hell of a team to contend with in 2009. Assuming we had a QB who could run that offense in 2009.

I see your point Tuco and I agree that both Bo and Riley had shorter leashes than Frost has. But I think (and this is pure speculation since who the hell knows what would have happened) that if Bo had installed his read option offense in 2008, we would have been one hell of a team to contend with in 2009. Assuming we had a QB who could run that offense in 2009.

I am not saying either is right. I have just grown tired of all the blaming of other people.

Sort of what I said. The other 2 weren’t given the 7 year deal.

exactly. I wasn't disagreeing. Just makes sense that the people who looked at things along with Frost knew all along that he wouldn't come back for a short term deal where he wouldn't be able to do things the right way.

I'm depressed about yesterday, but Frost is the right guy -- heck, I wanted him when we fired Bo. He's been the guy I wanted for a long time now as I watched his coaching career

Reactions: HuskerDana
Yep. This team will not improve until the offensive line improves. And that looks like it is going to take a while

That is some of the conclusion I have made too, we are not very good on the offensive line compared to over half of the rest of the conference until this gets fixed we won’t be winning any west division and playing for the conference championship.

That is some of the conclusion I have made too, we are not very good on the offensive line compared to over half of the rest of the conference until this gets fixed we won’t be winning any west division and playing for the conference championship.
And I'm not sure this will be a quick fix. I don't have the roster in front of me, but I thought I saw someone say that we will only have 7 returning scholarship OL after this season. That's probably why they are after a few juco OL.

And it is more than just lacking physicality and athletic agility. They just don't seem to be mentally in the game. They look constantly confused. You can't convince me that the coaches did not practice with them this week to prepare for Michigan's blitz packages. Especially since Michigan was running many of the same line stunts and blitzes that Troy used so effectively. But they get in the heat of game action and it looks like their feet are stuck in wet cement and they are all looking around trying to figure out who to block as three defenders blow by them without being touched. And then either Bell or Ozigbo whiffing on their blocks in the backfield. We were damn lucky Martinez did not get totally messed up.

I agree the O line needs serious help, but pretty much the only player who looked like he truly belonged on that field was AM. It's gonna be a long road back, but at least we know who will be driving the truck.

I am not saying either is right. I have just grown tired of all the blaming of other people.

We will see if Nebraska can still recruit and develop in the next 3 to 4 years. Let's hope so. It's been what has been lacking and we will get to witness if a new coach can pull it off.

Jaime's, which is a player I believe has shown a ton of potential, is just one example of a player that should just go and tell the coaches they don't feel like playing today
If true it will take a 2 to 3 more years to recruit it out of the program, so buckle up. This is the results of bad leadership over many years with plenty of blame to go around.. It will have to be scrubbed out. It's obvious the problems run much deeper than we all know. Some of these kids have had 3 different coaches in the last 4 years. No easy fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dysfunctional Vet
And I'm not sure this will be a quick fix. I don't have the roster in front of me, but I thought I saw someone say that we will only have 7 returning scholarship OL after this season. That's probably why they are after a few juco OL.

Which is why I mentioned year 4, given this wash-out year and fact that the glaring deficiencies are so prevalent on this roster. This year should be the bottom, and when I say bottom, I don't necessarily see a guaranteed win outside of Bethune on this schedule.

We have four new verbals on the offensive line for next year. A few quality Jucos added to that would be nice.

Reactions: mmunso7
And it is more than just lacking physicality and athletic agility. They just don't seem to be mentally in the game. They look constantly confused. You can't convince me that the coaches did not practice with them this week to prepare for Michigan's blitz packages. Especially since Michigan was running many of the same line stunts and blitzes that Troy used so effectively. But they get in the heat of game action and it looks like their feet are stuck in wet cement and they are all looking around trying to figure out who to block as three defenders blow by them without being touched. And then either Bell or Ozigbo whiffing on their blocks in the backfield. We were damn lucky Martinez did not get totally messed up.
I think Michael Decker retiring due to injuries was the biggest loss of the off season. When he played, he always seemed to be able to make the correct line calls and know when to slide protection. The line has looked like a dumpster fire when he's not in there.

I think Michael Decker retiring due to injuries was the biggest loss of the off season. When he played, he always seemed to be able to make the correct line calls and know when to slide protection. The line has looked like a dumpster fire when he's not in there.
Agree 100%. I find it telling that among all of the players in our offensive line room, not one guy could be found to play center who was better than Conrad. Yikes

Reactions: mmunso7
Which of the elite JUCO players, that were brought in last year, have stepped up and are starting? JUCO fixes are risky. Pulling in 1 juco OL to fill a need is one thing, needing 3 and needing all to step up and be better than what we already have is something much different.

Go back (if u want to be sick), watch and key on Foster, Conrad, and on defense LB Young.... it will make you vomit. All “battle-tested” Seniors, ugh

Which of the elite JUCO players, that were brought in last year, have stepped up and are starting? JUCO fixes are risky. Pulling in 1 juco OL to fill a need is one thing, needing 3 and needing all to step up and be better than what we already have is something much different.

I think they have 4 on the list in hopes of getting 1 good one or 2 who can help fill gaps in case some of the younger guys aren't quite there physically.

they won't be building the OL through JUCO players, but they'll need some while we wait for the young guys they want to develop, IMO

Yes we need immediate help on the line but the JUCO route is often not helpful. I know it is depressing to many of us, me included, but what these games are showing us is that fixing our line is going to take several years of development. And that is depressing so we are all grasping for the quick fix.

Next year, Farniok and Jaimes return at OT. Boe Wilson and Bland will be available at guard. Does a kid like Hunter Miller get a crack at Center?
I can't see how those five with another year in the program could perform worse than what we have now.

Reactions: jeans15
Next year, Farniok and Jaimes return at OT. Boe Wilson and Bland will be available at guard. Does a kid like Hunter Miller get a crack at Center?
I can't see how those five with another year in the program could perform worse than what we have now.

Sounds like 1 or more likely 2 more Juco OL mandatory. The freshman OL shouldn't "have" to play right away, so that is the route we have to go.

And that's on the coaching staff.

Congratulations to the UCF Golden Knights, the 2017 National Champions

Who are the Golden Knights? You keep posting that and I'm not sure why? Only Golden Knights I know is the NHL Team in Vegas that made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Final in their first season.

Reactions: GoBoBigBlue

Totally agree. After watching the Wisconsin/Iowa game last night it shows in a big way how far away we are.

SF & staff have their hands full.

Jaime's, which is a player I believe has shown a ton of potential, is just one example of a player that should just go and tell the coaches they don't feel like playing today
I'm as frustrated as everyone else but do you really think these guys don't want to win? The biggest issue I see is the lack of speed and first step quickness. When the opposing team's speed is so much greater it creates the appearance of lack of effort. We're pathetically non athletic!
Michigan was two steps into our backfield before our o line was out of their stance . Linebackers were running down our RB's like they were standing still. The sAme was true on defense. Their line would fire off the ball and had our d line sealed off before they new the ball was snapped.
We had 3 guys make some plays and display a little speed. Bootle and Berry and Stan appear to be D1 players. If you'll recall it wasn't until Osborne moved to recruiting speed that we stopped trying to run him off cuz he couldn't win the big one.
Frost came in talking about the need for speed. As frustrating as it is we've gotta give that time to develop.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
I'm as frustrated as everyone else but do you really think these guys don't want to win? The biggest issue I see is the lack of speed and first step quickness. When the opposing team's speed is so much greater it creates the appearance of lack of effort. We're pathetically non athletic!
Michigan was two steps into our backfield before our o line was out of their stance . Linebackers were running down our RB's like they were standing still. The sAme was true on defense. Their line would fire off the ball and had our d line sealed off before they new the ball was snapped.
We had 3 guys make some plays and display a little speed. Bootle and Berry and Stan appear to be D1 players. If you'll recall it wasn't until Osborne moved to recruiting speed that we stopped trying to run him off cuz he couldn't win the big one.
Frost came in talking about the need for speed. As frustrating as it is we've gotta give that time to develop.

Wanting to win and putting forth max effort are two different things. I never said that don't want to win. 'Quitting' on the football field means when things get a little tough, you may just go through the motions, rather than continue to push back harder.

I bring up Jaimes because of one specific play I saw....so I really started to focus in on him. Is Jaimes not talented enough to compete at the level Michigan is at? Maybe. When you have a man you are responsible for and do not even make an effort to block him after initial contact, you deserve to be called out for it.

After watching the line....and some receivers very closely the rest of the game, it is pretty evident that many of them were going through the motions. NU does not have the talent that Michigan has, at this point. But some on this team seem to just be playing the string out.....and this team is only three games in. That is scary.

Last edited:
Not even 3 games in and the staff have lost this team
I don't think the staff has lost anyone. I think there may be several players that don't understand what it takes to become a championship team. Whether it be lack of confidence, more likely discipline and learning assignments and giving up.

I have no doubt in my mind that Frost, once he gets the type of players we will be way more competitive.

I don't think the staff has lost anyone. I think there may be several players that don't understand what it takes to become a championship team. Whether it be lack of confidence, more likely discipline and learning assignments and giving up.

I have no doubt in my mind that Frost, once he gets the type of players we will be way more competitive.

This is way more than a few players not knowing how to win championships.

I agree the O line needs serious help, but pretty much the only player who looked like he truly belonged on that field was AM. It's gonna be a long road back, but at least we know who will be driving the truck.

What exactly did AM do in the game to bring you to that conclusion?

Yeah, true. Picking things up has nothing to do with talent. UCF was very slow to pick up the system. George OLeary was an old school pound the rock coach. We were just (6-7) in our first Frost year and we got blasted in the bowl game vs. Arkansas State (an embarrassment).

As great as McKenzie Milton is, Adrian Martinez is better as a freshman. He just needs more talent around him. I think Martinez is a stud as long as he stays healthy in his career.

Frost will turn it around for you guys. This year is irrelevant. You just have to recruit well. Next year, if Martinez is healthy (BIG IF), I think you guys will be around .500 and much improved. I'll stand by my original prediction of you guys winning 8-9 games a year under Frost but will eventually fire him after year 5 or 6 due to not winning the conference and not getting enough speed there for his system.

Chinander is another story. He's not good. You will need to fire him eventually and it will be ugly because he's Frost's BEST MAN at his wedding and Frost has more pull than Moos.
That is the question, can Nebraska pull in the speed to run the offense. It’s more than just a fast guy here and there. To run his offense you need five fast receivers, three fast running backs and a fast TE.

Reactions: GoBoBigBlue
I'm now looking at different analogs to our situation, and those most familiar to me are these:
  • Mangino at KU took over a 3-8 team. Progression from Year One to Year Six: 2-10, 6-7, 4-7, 7-5, 6-6, 12-1.
  • McCartney at CU took over a 3-8 team. Progression from Year One to Year Eight: 2-8-1, 4-7, 1-10, 7-5, 6-6, 7-4, 8-4, 11-1.
  • MacIntyre at CU took over a 1-11 team. Progression from Year One to Year Six: 4-8, 2-10, 4-9, 10-4, 5-7, 3-0 (still in progress).
  • Ferentz at Iowa took over a 3-8 team. Progression from Year One to Year Six: 1-10, 3-9, 7-5, 11-2, 10-3, 10-2.
MacIntyre took over the worst program of the bunch, and only Iowa could come close to Nebraska's level of institutional and fan support, but you get the idea. Frost has taken over a dumpster fire, clearly, and a 2-10/3-9 first year will be painful (especially for those of us who live among the merciless fans in Iowa City or Boulder), but the next few years may also be more difficult than we'd like them to be.

I'm now looking at different analogs to our situation, and those most familiar to me are these:
  • Mangino at KU took over a 3-8 team. Progression from Year One to Year Six: 2-10, 6-7, 4-7, 7-5, 6-6, 12-1.
  • McCartney at CU took over a 3-8 team. Progression from Year One to Year Eight: 2-8-1, 4-7, 1-10, 7-5, 6-6, 7-4, 8-4, 11-1.
  • MacIntyre at CU took over a 1-11 team. Progression from Year One to Year Six: 4-8, 2-10, 4-9, 10-4, 5-7, 3-0 (still in progress).
  • Ferentz at Iowa took over a 3-8 team. Progression from Year One to Year Six: 1-10, 3-9, 7-5, 11-2, 10-3, 10-2.
MacIntyre took over the worst program of the bunch, and only Iowa could come close to Nebraska's level of institutional and fan support, but you get the idea. Frost has taken over a dumpster fire, clearly, and a 2-10/3-9 first year will be painful (especially for those of us who live among the merciless fans in Iowa City or Boulder), but the next few years may also be more difficult than we'd like them to be.

Until we establish better offensive line play which now goes on the sucess in
recruiting and coaching them up you get no argument from me..

Patience will be the most difficult thing to do for the fan base that followed decades of winning seasons which includes myself..

Reactions: 9and4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT