ADVERTISEMENT

Many on this team have already quit.

You're right, I can't find a quote from Frost about talent compared to UCF. I must have been thinking of this quote from Troy Walters:

"The guys here really picked up the offense faster than they did at UCF," Walters said. "They were eager to learn, and were excited when we got here.

"We finished the spring ahead of where we were at UCF. Now we just have to take the next step this summer and get faster and stronger."

https://www.kearneyhub.com/sports/n...cle_003ea8a8-6e59-11e8-8dec-1fd23a05b41e.html

Yeah, true. Picking things up has nothing to do with talent. UCF was very slow to pick up the system. George OLeary was an old school pound the rock coach. We were just (6-7) in our first Frost year and we got blasted in the bowl game vs. Arkansas State (an embarrassment).

As great as McKenzie Milton is, Adrian Martinez is better as a freshman. He just needs more talent around him. I think Martinez is a stud as long as he stays healthy in his career.

Frost will turn it around for you guys. This year is irrelevant. You just have to recruit well. Next year, if Martinez is healthy (BIG IF), I think you guys will be around .500 and much improved. I'll stand by my original prediction of you guys winning 8-9 games a year under Frost but will eventually fire him after year 5 or 6 due to not winning the conference and not getting enough speed there for his system.

Chinander is another story. He's not good. You will need to fire him eventually and it will be ugly because he's Frost's BEST MAN at his wedding and Frost has more pull than Moos.

Reactions: GoBigRed666
Oh yeah, the Smiling Mike apologist's favorite excuse.

Funny how Bo took over a program that had two losing seasons in it's previous four years yet he always won 9 or 10 games for his seven years here. We canned Bo to bring in the mighty Smiling Mike who then had two losings seasons in only three years here.

So sure, let's blame Bo.....it makes perfect sense.

So you are saying Bo is better than Frost.

Yeah, true. Picking things up has nothing to do with talent. UCF was very slow to pick up the system. George OLeary was an old school pound the rock coach. We were just (6-7) in our first Frost year and we got blasted in the bowl game vs. Arkansas State (an embarrassment).

As great as McKenzie Milton is, Adrian Martinez is better as a freshman. He just needs more talent around him. I think Martinez is a stud as long as he stays healthy in his career.

Frost will turn it around for you guys. This year is irrelevant. You just have to recruit well. Next year, if Martinez is healthy (BIG IF), I think you guys will be around .500 and much improved. I'll stand by my original prediction of you guys winning 8-9 games a year under Frost but will eventually fire him after year 5 or 6 due to not winning the conference and not getting enough speed there for his system.

Chinander is another story. He's not good. You will need to fire him eventually and it will be ugly because he's Frost's BEST MAN at his wedding and Frost has more pull than Moos.

There is zero reason we shouldn't win the Big Ten West more often than not, once Frost has his system/culture in place. Bo Pelini won his division more often than not - that includes Big 12 and was before the current East/West configuration, but still, other than Wisconsin this division is not that good.

We have D-2 level talent and it has shown on the field

Respectfully disagree. We have more than enough talent to beat Colorado, Troy and not lose by 46 points to Michigan. Penalties have nothing to do with talent, playing lackadaisically has nothing to do with talent, not knowing where to line up has nothing to do with talent. Our team has extremely bad habits, is ill prepared and harbors an undeniable lack of "want to". These issues are more pressing than acquiring new talent. 10 penalties! Undisciplined, dispassionate and unsound football have led to the results thus far.

Another thought is what is Frost talking about with this buy in thing? Is he talking about the fans? If a player on your roster has not bought in, there is no way he should see the field, talent be damned. He keeps mentioning buy in yet the same players seem to be playing. Curious.

Reactions: HuskerDana
And this post proves you have no idea what you’re talking about. We have a roster full of kids that are probably pissed their country club program under Riley got taken away and now frost expects them to work harder than any program. You think Riley recruited guys are just going to buy into that?!? A staff can’t force kids to buy in especially when the standard has been change 180 degrees from last year. The expectations of a new coaching staff by some like you are laughable. Frost said it when he took the job...things in Lincoln have been broken a long time and it’s going to take patience to fix it. It’s not frost’s fault the idiot fans didn’t listen to him. This team got pushed by arky state and went 4-8 under a staff they wanted to play for. It’s not a surprise they’re doing worse under a new scheme and a new coaching staff that is completely changing how they did things the last 3 years.

Tell me where I’m wrong.
Mic drop.

Let me get this straight... It's Riley's fault that this team is so bad. And the coach before Frost at USF doesn't get any credit for the team that Frost coached last season.

Talk about making excuses.

Told y'all bench the Riley players as much as you could.

We basically started all the kids who quit on the team last year...gpduh.

Frost did it on purpose though. Gebbia was NE ER starting here, ever.

Now Frost has every validation to do things his way or leave.

Frost did it on purpose though. Gebbia was NE ER starting here, ever.

Then why didn't Frost bring in another QB for this year? He had to have believed there was a chance Gebbia would transfer if he didn't win the job.

Again, I wonder if there are still guys on the team who were loyal to Gebbia and because he didn't get the job, they aren't buying into this staff.

Reactions: jeans15
Show me that quote. There is NO WAY Nebraska has near the talent nor speed UCF has. Recruiting rankings are 100% irrelevant. Tre Neal was a backup at UCF.

Again, the media made it seem like Frost was UCF's savior. He was not. UCF was a top 10 team in 2013 under George OLeary. Frost brought us back in 2017 and now under Heupel, our offense is even better than last year. It's the program and the athletes more than the coach.

UCF has a shot at THREE top 10 finishes in the last 6 years under THREE different head coaches. We have elite athletes.

Elite athletes don't go 0-12.

It’s not losing our team, it’s a mentality issue. We have D-2 level talent and it has shown on the field. Have to survive this beating and move on until the Frost recruits start taking over the roster.

Until then, we’re going to continue to produce piss poor performances against better teams.
So we have better “rated” recruiting classes than everybody in the B1G West but they’re D2?

Then why didn't Frost bring in another QB for this year? He had to have believed there was a chance Gebbia would transfer if he didn't win the job.

Again, I wonder if there are still guys on the team who were loyal to Gebbia and because he didn't get the job, they aren't buying into this staff.

Cause all he cares about is having his QB. He is paid for the long game. We hate losing any game.

That's what he said?
I'll admit when bozo was here his first few years he did a decent job not great because he had a lot more talent to work with but he hated recruiting and he wanted out he didn't ever he could to get fired last several years and I truly believe he would have went woody Hayes on a referee I'm not sorry he's gone, btw has any P5 school even given him a look or interview? NO

Reactions: dpnavy
There is a reason why Bo, Mangino, and several others from that Youngstown tree are not even considered at many schools. Should not be hard to figure out what that reason is when you ask what they all have in common.

Reactions: newAD
Not even 3 games in and the staff have lost this team
Fricken idiot fans...Here is logic and reason.

1. 2017 huskers were one of the worst teams in college football, with 4 wins against some of the worst teams in college football
2. 2017 huskers gave up 55 ppg during the last stretch of the year, against subpar offensive teams.
3. 2018 huskers lost all scholarship qbs and replaced them with a true freshman who hadn't played since his junior year of HS and a walkon.
4. 2018 huskers are installing completely new offensive/defensive styles and playbook
5. 2018 huskers lost a tune-up game to weather
6. First road game/on the road at the big house, with a true freshman that hasn't even played a complete game.

This team didn't quit, they were just dominated. How hard is it for fans to realize this team is BADDDDDD. They were terrible last year, all year. And they had to learn how to be so bad, how to accept it and still act like a college football player. This team was bad before they laid around a month after the season ended doing nothing. Then Frost came in and had to "tune back" the S/C program so he wouldn't kill kids because they were so out of shape. He has had to tune back the accountability and be a cheer leader so he can field a team. The real bottom was late November, last year. Don't forget it.

Oh yeah, the Smiling Mike apologist's favorite excuse.

Funny how Bo took over a program that had two losing seasons in it's previous four years yet he always won 9 or 10 games for his seven years here. We canned Bo to bring in the mighty Smiling Mike who then had two losings seasons in only three years here.

So sure, let's blame Bo.....it makes perfect sense.

I hate Bo, but the proof is in the pudding. The NFL is full of Bo Pelini players, and not Smiling Mike Players. Bo had talented teams that were mentally unstable...the recruiting certainly waned in 2014 but the best players on the team are Bo Pelini recruits, outside of the true freshman.

How hard is it for fans to realize this team is BADDDDDD.
This is the part that some of our fans won't acknowledge. So enamored about all the finer details of recruiting stars and this rating service and that that they forget it is about actualizing that talent and showing it on the field.

What star rating was Foster? I don't know and don't really care, but when I see him pull to the left to block a screen and he is far too slow to make it to the edge, well, I don't need to see if he was a 1 star or 100 star recruit. He isn't fast enough to make the play. Multiply that by every prior player on this team being asked to play in a new system that needs different skills, of course many are going to fail. Look, we lost 3 scholarship QBs because they didn't think they could play in this system (ok, maybe Gebbia did). Why should it be different for the other positions?

I hate Bo, but the proof is in the pudding. The NFL is full of Bo Pelini players, and not Smiling Mike Players. Bo had talented teams that were mentally unstable...the recruiting certainly waned in 2014 but the best players on the team are Bo Pelini recruits, outside of the true freshman.
Correction. The NFL is full of Callahan recruits who Pelini developed. Bo recruited a couple of guys but the majority of Pelini's best players were Callahan recruits. Pelini could coach DBs and backers. He just couldn't recruit or coordinate a college D.

Correction. The NFL is full of Callahan recruits who Pelini developed. Bo recruited a couple of guys but the majority of Pelini's best players were Callahan recruits. Pelini could coach DBs and backers. He just couldn't recruit or coordinate a college D.

Best player Lavonte David besides Suh on defense and Ameer Abdullah on offense.

Pelini recruits.

This is the part that some of our fans won't acknowledge. So enamored about all the finer details of recruiting stars and this rating service and that that they forget it is about actualizing that talent and showing it on the field.

What star rating was Foster? I don't know and don't really care, but when I see him pull to the left to block a screen and he is far too slow to make it to the edge, well, I don't need to see if he was a 1 star or 100 star recruit. He isn't fast enough to make the play. Multiply that by every prior player on this team being asked to play in a new system that needs different skills, of course many are going to fail. Look, we lost 3 scholarship QBs because they didn't think they could play in this system (ok, maybe Gebbia did). Why should it be different for the other positions?
The lack of athleticism in our O line other than with Jaimes is obvious. I'm shocked when I watch some of OSU's and Bama's O linemen pull. We're just too danged slow in several spots.

Fricken idiot fans...Here is logic and reason.

1. 2017 huskers were one of the worst teams in college football, with 4 wins against some of the worst teams in college football
2. 2017 huskers gave up 55 ppg during the last stretch of the year, against subpar offensive teams.
3. 2018 huskers lost all scholarship qbs and replaced them with a true freshman who hadn't played since his junior year of HS and a walkon.
4. 2018 huskers are installing completely new offensive/defensive styles and playbook
5. 2018 huskers lost a tune-up game to weather
6. First road game/on the road at the big house, with a true freshman that hasn't even played a complete game.

This team didn't quit, they were just dominated. How hard is it for fans to realize this team is BADDDDDD. They were terrible last year, all year. And they had to learn how to be so bad, how to accept it and still act like a college football player. This team was bad before they laid around a month after the season ended doing nothing. Then Frost came in and had to "tune back" the S/C program so he wouldn't kill kids because they were so out of shape. He has had to tune back the accountability and be a cheer leader so he can field a team. The real bottom was late November, last year. Don't forget it.

The coaching staff treated Rashan Gary as if he were just a guy. He is not god but a damn good football player who required some extra attention.

So Frost should run a pro style offense in order to keep the team together?
Not at all. I was and replying to a post stating Bo was a better coach than Frost. I’m just pointing out, the two situations are entirely different. This is a much tougher transition. Two complete offensive overhauls in 4 years now and 3 on defense. That’s tough.

Not at all. I was and replying to a post stating Bo was a better coach than Frost. I’m just pointing out, the two situations are entirely different. This is a much tougher transition. Two complete offensive overhauls in 4 years now and 3 on defense. That’s tough.

Could have been easier if Frost just adjusted his offense to match the player’s abilities. That is what Bo did.

Now that I’ve had enough drinks to adequately lubricate this post, I agree with Solana Beach that the issues are deep and varied.
Too many layers to disect concisely, but it’s a critical time for this team to not throw in the towel. Opposite of previous blowouts I didnt feel like this team quit (for the most part), however some really basic football acumen seems to be lacking and it’s hard to not fault the coaches for a lot of that.
I can see opportunity for improvement across the board, but the O-Line has me the most worried. That’s a problem with no realistic solution in the short term and 2018 may not be the end of the missing pipeline.

Now that I’ve had enough drinks to adequately lubricate this post, I agree with Solana Beach that the issues are deep and varied.
Too many layers to disect concisely, but it’s a critical time for this team to not throw in the towel. Opposite of previous blowouts I didnt feel like this team quit (for the most part), however some really basic football acumen seems to be lacking and it’s hard to not fault the coaches for a lot of that.
I can see opportunity for improvement across the board, but the O-Line has me the most worried. That’s a problem with no realistic solution in the short term and 2018 may not be the end of the missing pipeline.

Yes, I agree that's scary. I don't know of any way around it.

I'm sure the o-line loved running failed (over and over) screen passes down 30 points.
Michigan was getting to the QB on every passing play. It became very clear, very early, that downfield passes were out of the question. Therefore: screens. Makes perfect sense to me. The problem is that our offensive line couldn't block for screen passes either, nor could our wideouts. Nothing was working because nobody was blocking effectively. So personally... I don't give a shit what that miserable excuse for an offensive line thought about the play calling. THEY were the cause of it.

Reactions: mmunso7
Could have been easier if Frost just adjusted his offense to match the player’s abilities. That is what Bo did.
No it’s not. Bo kept the OC and the entire offense at TO’s insistence, he didn’t “adjust” anything and there was no adjustment for the players on that side of the ball. And if Frost had tried some wired hybrid, like Riley did, we would be hearing all the square peg round hole talk, we did a few years ago. Plus, our offense was putrid last year, why keep on down that road?

Last edited:
No it’s not. Bo kept the OC and the entire offense at TO’s insistence, he didn’t “adjust” anything and there was no adjustment for the players on that side of the ball. And if Frost has tried some wired hybrid, like Riley did, we would be hearing all the square peg round hole talk, we did back then. Plus, our offense was putrid last year, why keep on down that road?
It is very clear that Bo preferred the read option type of offense that he later installed with Tim Beck. He even publicly stated that he liked this type of offense because as a defensive coach that was the kind of offense that gave the defense the most fits. So what if he had installed that kind of offense in 2008 and just taken his lumps that year as the offense learned the new system? Ganz could have run that kind of offense. If he had done that then maybe we would not have had the historically awful offense we had in 2009. And if we had had an even marginally better offense in 2009, we would have been playing for the national title.

Yep. This team will not improve until the offensive line improves. And that looks like it is going to take a while

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT