ADVERTISEMENT

Manning

inWV

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007
if he signs, does he arrive in Jan for winter conditioning?

He and Mo Washington. He wants to come back if he can play qb.

No, I meant Luke. I believe he will be the starter at QB next year. He is the dynamic playmaker that this offense needs to move to elite level.
Doubt Luke starts unless Adrian can't get his injuries healed up. Luke still has a lot of work to do as a passer.

But he has that "gamer" feel to him like you can never count him out. If Scott could make peace with a lower pass frequency it could be a nice offense with him.

Doubt Luke starts unless Adrian can't get his injuries healed up. Luke still has a lot of work to do as a passer.

But he has that "gamer" feel to him like you can never count him out. If Scott could make peace with a lower pass frequency it could be a nice offense with him.
what are the injuries for Martinez?

Think his coach said he thinks he signs in February which means to me that he won’t be graduating in Jan..that part is a disappointment. We still need him badly. Spring will give the 3 redshirt freshman tons of playing time. On the same subject does anyone know who are early enrollees out of our signings or potential signings?

No, I meant Luke. I believe he will be the starter at QB next year. He is the dynamic playmaker that this offense needs to move to elite level.
Elite? Wow he has made some pretty significant strides. Not sure
wow, I’ve heard many people complain and throw blame for applying lofty expectations to this years squad (2019). Now you are applying an Elite tag to a guy without even taking very few meaningful snaps?

Spring ball will tell us a lot. McCaffrey excelled in the situations that he was asked to. Against Maryland, he was asked to come in and manage a 38 point lead, which enabled Nebraska to call about 25 zone reads in a row. Against Iowa, he ran a sprint out, which was designed to suck the corner up, and put one on the money. We will all have to wait and see how he looks running the entire offense. I understand the love fest, but need to pump the breaks a bit. On the other side of that, it will be interesting to see if Martinez can return to form. In a down year, Martinez was 3rd in big 10 in yards/game with 258 to Justin Fields’ 263.

I’m not writing off Martinez at all “yet”, but based on this year the bar for passing has been set pretty low. His % dropped, most throws were easy and he couldn’t make them.
He only completed one pass that travelled more than 10 yards against Iowa. One.
AM’s decision making was not impressive at all this year as well.
There’s really not much better situation for someone else to step into and prove they can do better.

oh- and I’m not ready to declare Luke as the anointed one, but we just need some real QB competition this offseason.

First I heard it from you..but have been out of the loop a lot this fall season..

I should’ve clarified: I’m not certain how public it’s been made-and I really don’t “know” but heard from a guy with premium access.
But it’s been public he’s been battling injury this year and I think Austin leaked it was a shoulder a while back. Based on his throwing this year- it would all make sense.

Unfortunately so does Martinez...

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Spring ball will tell us a lot. McCaffrey excelled in the situations that he was asked to. Against Maryland, he was asked to come in and manage a 38 point lead, which enabled Nebraska to call about 25 zone reads in a row. Against Iowa, he ran a sprint out, which was designed to suck the corner up, and put one on the money. We will all have to wait and see how he looks running the entire offense. I understand the love fest, but need to pump the breaks a bit. On the other side of that, it will be interesting to see if Martinez can return to form. In a down year, Martinez was 3rd in big 10 in yards/game with 258 to Justin Fields’ 263.

Where does he rank in the B1G in TD’s?

I don’t think Manning is signing until Feb.

I really hope he is an early enrollee but something tells me your right. I think he’s a Feb guy. He could still sign December but I don’t think he shows up till fall camp or when ever the later guys come in.

One things for sure, we are his only Official Visit and he’s been caught/seen wearing Husker wrist bans. I think he’s been a Husker every since his visit. GBR

Last edited:

How can we know this? We can watch high school film and say, generally, “yeah, looks like he needs to work on passing.” But, we haven’t seen him throw a bunch in games this year and compared to the way Martinez looked, it is difficult to imagine he couldn’t be as productive in the passing game.

im all for an open QB Competition this offseason. I like Adrain Martinez and I don’t want to throw in the towel on him just yet but Luke McCaffrey has looked good when he’s played and definitely looks like a true Baller. Again, those McCaffreys have always been winners and that’s all they know how to do. McCaffrey is definitely the better runner of the two (he’s much faster then Martinez)...I’m just not sure who’s more accurate of a thrower?

Reactions: bshirt73
Just by watching I would say his left knee and throwing shoulder, even though it was never disclosed...

If there was in fact an injury to the shoulder which he has been battling all year, I think it is a major disservice to Martinez to not make that public. He was not good this year, and has taken a lot of heat for it. If one of the reasons is an injury to his throwing shoulder, then they absolutely should say it; it’s completely unfair to him.

If there was in fact an injury to the shoulder which he has been battling all year, I think it is a major disservice to Martinez to not make that public. He was not good this year, and has taken a lot of heat for it. If one of the reasons is an injury to his throwing shoulder, then they absolutely should say it; it’s completely unfair to him.

agreed, I know Frost want to keep all those things a secret and all that...but this time, with Martinez, it would have shown and helped a lot if he’d just made it public if Martinez was hurt.

Yes. If I remember correctly it was the Purdue game near the goal line he got hurt when a helmet hit his arm. Non throwing arm.

And, if you are to believe that morning 1620 guys they alluded to him playing on a bum ankle early on.
Yes it was at the Purdue game and it was his non-throwing shoulder. That doesn't explain the poor performance and the bad decision making in games prior to this.

I
I’m not writing off Martinez at all “yet”, but based on this year the bar for passing has been set pretty low. His % dropped, most throws were easy and he couldn’t make them.
He only completed one pass that travelled more than 10 yards against Iowa. One.
AM’s decision making was not impressive at all this year as well.
There’s really not much better situation for someone else to step into and prove they can do better.

oh- and I’m not ready to declare Luke as the anointed one, but we just need some real QB competition this offseason.
Look I’m not going to argue with the fact that AM seemed to have regressed/ didn’t meet our high expectations in the off season, but someone else said it, and I can’t remember who it was on here and he hit the nail right on the head when he said it, when you all hide behind the excuse of “better be a real QB conversation” what you all mean is “Luke better start”... when you start laying all this high talk about Luke being elite and all this other stuff you’re already making it obvious what you want to see... so even if there is a legit QB Competition you all will complain if Adrian wins out again, saying it wasn’t legit, or that Scott is just picking his guy again... you’re setting Scott up for a no win here, if adrian wins the job there was no legit comp, if Luke wins then Scott should have pulled the plug a long time ago ya da ya da blah blah blah... you are all predictable with your madness so just say what you mean Luke better start next year cuz that’s what you want

Last edited:
I

Look I’m not going to argue with the fact that AM seemed to have regressed/ didn’t meet our high expectations in the off season, but someone else said it, and I can’t remember who it was on here and he hit the nail right on the head when he said it, when you all hide behind the excuse of “better be a real QB conversation” what you all mean is “Luke better start”... when you start laying all this high talk about Luke being elite and all this other stuff you’re already making it obvious what you want to see... so even if there is a legit QB Competition you all will complain if Adrian wins out again, saying it was legit, or that Scott is just picking his guy again... you’re setting Scott up for a no win here, if adrian wins the job there was no legit comp, if Luke wins then Scott should have pulled the plug a long time ago ya da ya da blah blah blah... you are all predictable with your madness so just say what you mean Luke better start next year cuz that’s what you want

And the part that makes me laugh is Luke McCaffrey is “HIS GUY” too. So when I see fans say that, I can’t help but laugh. It’s like “ Come on guys, both QBs are his guys”. Frost has no reason to favor one over the other...that’s just stupid talk and thoughts!

I

Look I’m not going to argue with the fact that AM seemed to have regressed/ didn’t meet our high expectations in the off season, but someone else said it, and I can’t remember who it was on here and he hit the nail right on the head when he said it, when you all hide behind the excuse of “better be a real QB conversation” what you all mean is “Luke better start”... when you start laying all this high talk about Luke being elite and all this other stuff you’re already making it obvious what you want to see... so even if there is a legit QB Competition you all will complain if Adrian wins out again, saying it was legit, or that Scott is just picking his guy again... you’re setting Scott up for a no win here, if adrian wins the job there was no legit comp, if Luke wins then Scott should have pulled the plug a long time ago ya da ya da blah blah blah... you are all predictable with your madness so just say what you mean Luke better start next year cuz that’s what you want
Solid. Well done.

I

Play the guy that gives us the best chance to win. If Martinez is starting next year, and looks the way he did this year, injury or no injury, and Frost doesn’t make any changes, whether temporary or permanent, somewhat early in the season, then it will be very easy to say that Martinez is his guy.

Reactions: scarletred
Play the guy that gives us the best chance to win. If Martinez is starting next year, and looks the way he did this year, injury or no injury, and Frost doesn’t make any changes, whether temporary or permanent, somewhat early in the season, then it will be very easy to say that Martinez is his guy.

Which would mean we have a terrible coach.

Reactions: scarletred
Which would mean we have a terrible coach.

bullheaded, stubborn, hardheaded...all those. But that wouldn’t mean he’s a horrible coach. We see this stuff with Head Coaches all over the country and it’s because they are the one at practice and seeing everything that’s going on. It’s easy for us to see the mistakes or flaws during the game and point fingers. But we aren’t there seeing what’s going on in practices...just saying!!!

And the part that makes me laugh is Luke McCaffrey is “HIS GUY” too. So when I see fans say that, I can’t help but laugh. It’s like “ Come on guys, both QBs are his guys”. Frost has no reason to favor one over the other...that’s just stupid talk and thoughts!
LMFAO, you know I actually sat there as I was posting that message thinking I should have added that very message in, because I’m with you there.. they are both his guys... man I’m glad you posted it because I seriously just about added into my message but decided I’d wait to use it when some ass hat wanted to argue that very point

Reactions: huskerssalts
Elite? Wow he has made some pretty significant strides. Not sure

wow, I’ve heard many people complain and throw blame for applying lofty expectations to this years squad (2019). Now you are applying an Elite tag to a guy without even taking very few meaningful snaps?
You read it differently than I did, he stated that Luke is THE KIND Dynamic playmaker the offense need to be elite.....He didn't say Luke was elite. Luke is a dynamic playmaker and showed it this year. That said if Adrian gets right he can be that too with a stronger arm. If he can't get right Scott will go with Luke.

ADVERTISEMENT