ADVERTISEMENT

Manning tweets he's ready to get to work with team

"We're better at receiver right now than we have been since I've been here." -Scott Frost

uhh-what_o_779851.gif

It IS up to the coaches to get their team ready. We can’t be 3 years in and say we don’t have any WR’s who are “ready.”
Having said that, I know we’ve had to basically hit the reset button with WR personnel and Lubbick has had very little time to get them ready.
Walters was run out partially because of the lack of WR development.
They just need to find a way to expedite the process. We can’t turn “a serviceable WR room” into a 4 year project.

It was one game where we didn't even try to throw the ball downfield in order to try to limit turnovers. In case anyone didn't notice, our whole game plan revolved around limiting mistakes and turnovers. I don't think our receivers are near as bad as we think, neither is our pass rush or our DB's, just because they didn't look good against one of the best teams in the country.

It was one game where we didn't even try to throw the ball downfield in order to try to limit turnovers. In case anyone didn't notice, our whole game plan revolved around limiting mistakes and turnovers. I don't think our receivers are near as bad as we think, neither is our pass rush or our DB's, just because they didn't look good against one of the best teams in the country.
Saturday was the 13th straight game where we didn't try to throw the ball downfield.

maybe even more than that, honestly.

if it were 1 game, I would agree. it's not.

We haven’t gone deep since Stanley Morgan played.

Saturday was the 13th straight game where we didn't try to throw the ball downfield.

maybe even more than that, honestly.

if it were 1 game, I would agree. it's not.
It was the first game this year. Ohio State can make even good teams look bad. I'd like to see another game or two before we declare we have the worst receiver group in college football.

In fairness, unless you were at the game is was hard to tell. The networks have been keeping a narrow focus on the field to avoid showing empty stadiums. We have no idea if our receivers were open downfield or not as they never showed them. Was it the routes? Lack of time? Great DB's from OSU (very possible), etc. We'll find out more this Saturday.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The whole "no block,no rock" mantra is crap. If you are going to plkay wrs that are great blockers then start running the option.

Reactions: BleedRed78
they can and they should.

Manning needs to be out there regardless of practice time. again, he has what cannot be coached: massive size and great ball skills.

I don't care if he practices once in his time at NU. neither should any of his teammates or coaches, so long as he produces on Saturdays.

keep whatever issues may arise in house. if he turns out to be no good during games, then feel free to move on.

"massive size and great ball skills." Hehe.

Reactions: headcard and WHCSC
The whole "no block,no rock" mantra is crap. If you are going to plkay wrs that are great blockers then start running the option.

I disagree. It is not just a great mantra, it is a necessary mantra. Football is blocking &tackling.

Our blocking was horrible last year, even from the receivers. The thing is we shouldn't have to choose. We need to get and coach receivers who can both block and get open.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Not pretending to be an expert, but there were a couple plays in a row on one of our scoring drives where OSU corner completely abandoned our perimeter WR creeping to the line, faking a blitz before going back to cover. The safety was not coming over to cover and if we had been ready to snap the ball (we were lined up, just not hurry up), it was likely an easy TD or big gain to a wide open WR. We actually had success those plays, but it felt like a moment where our lack of tempo/readiness cost us the easier path.

We still feel “rigid” at times to me, lacking confidence to really ball out.
Playing conservative and afraid against OSU was not my recipe for success. I think this showed in the second half where they realized we weren’t gonna stretch the field.

Team needs wideouts who can play and make things happen vertically.

it's a screwed up year, but time for some of these guys to earn their scholarship or make room for those that can

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
So do we know what kind on nagging injury Omar Manning has been dealing with?

Well the whole WR corp is a mystery to me.
I get out of kick of Neb fans. Thought Speilman would leave early to be an early draft pick and that Robinson will be an early round draft choice - “he’s just that good”. Neither did or will happen. Robinson is Dana Brinson (At best) 36 years later. Is he good? Yes. Is he great? No. Just like Speilman he’s just the best Neb has right now. In the scheme of college football he’s not even on the radar of the best in the conference let alone All American talent. Damn. We used to have AA talents every year. Sigh...

Reactions: Crazyhole
ADVERTISEMENT