ADVERTISEMENT

Man in the Mirror

huskervideo

Jan 10, 2011
Frost needs to take a hard look at who surrounds him as coaches. Does he have the will to cut the cord from his buddies and go out and find coaches that will get the job done whether he knows them or not. I believe we have talent but it’s not translating to the field. There is close to $15 million a year in payroll on that staff.
If this were a corporation with this kind of payroll and results, I’m sure changes would be made.

Frost needs to take a hard look at who surrounds him as coaches. Does he have the will to cut the cord from his buddies and go out and find coaches that will get the job done whether he knows them or not. I believe we have talent but it’s not translating to the field. There is close to $15 million a year in payroll on that staff.
If this were a corporation with this kind of payroll and results, I’m sure changes would be made.
This was Pelini’s problem too. I don’t see Frost changing, just like Pelini didn’t. Their egos are too big.

Reactions: BleedRed78
He needs to take a hard look at himself first.

It’s a very interesting question. I’m going to throw together some thoughts that I hope make sense.

I think Frost and his group do a lot of self reflection, but Im not sure it’s big picture enough, if that makes sense. I think he’s had so much success with this system (I know we suck, but he has run some of the most prolific offenses in college football history), that he just looks to make changes within the system and not thinking about if the entire thing needs to change.

On offense we are in a strange spot. We have a ton of young talent, recruited for this system, but our best chance to win now would be to focus on a option/zone read attack where AM and LM carry the ball a lot. I hate the thought of having young guys like Fleming and Betts, that could be such playmakers, not being a big part of the offense, but it’s not like we are using them now. This was essentially a change TO made moving from the pro style offense in the 70’s to the option offense in the 80’s.

On defense, we are dictated by the offense. Yesterday, like much of last year, the defense did what it was asked to. The defense was asked to be aggressive and force TO’s and they did. Had the offense done their part, we would have been up huge at the half. But if the offensive identity changes, the defensive identity probably need to too, which might make Chin look a lot smarter.

Frost needs to step into a HC role and stop being the OC...Hand over the reins to Lubick in the booth and get this thing rolling.

Right now Frost appears to be coaching not to lose instead of being aggressive and putting the "pedal to the metal" on O and is losing anyway

Roll with whomever can get the job done and play fast instead of trying to...I don't even know what we have been seeing...

Personal rant over

He already fired two assistants last year and hired a new guy for special teams. Right now Frost needs to take a hard look at how long he is going to stick with a slumping QB (ie., Martinez) - that's entirely on Frost. He could fire the entire staff and not make any progress whatsoever if he remains stubborn about the QB position. JMO.

Frost needs to step into a HC role and stop being the OC...Hand over the reins to Lubick in the booth and get this thing rolling.

Right now Frost appears to be coaching not to lose instead of being aggressive and putting the "pedal to the metal" on O and is losing anyway

Roll with whomever can get the job done and play fast instead of trying to...I don't even know what we have been seeing...

Personal rant over

I think Lubick is calling the plays? Frost doesn't even have a call-sheet. He's also constantly moving around talking to players when the offense is on the field more than I think he'd be doing if he was focusing on calling the offense, and is something he didn't do much at all last year.

Coach Verduzco is a cool eccentric guy, but I’m not seeing his worth given that he’s taken a talented kid and made him worse.

I know Coach V likes to harp on arm mechanics, but what I see too often is our QBs trying too hard to think through their throwing motion, instead of letting it rip. Just my opinion of what it “looks like.”.

Either way, his guy Martinez looks very ill prepared to lead this offense both physically and mentally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT