ADVERTISEMENT

Malachi Coleman

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Says he still plans on committing 10/22.

Of his finalists, he’s only visited Nebraska and Oklahoma. He might visit Georgia before the commitment.
Coaching staff is one of his big deciding factors.

#2 Athlete in the country per Rivals.

It feels like he wants to stay home, and I’m sure he has a great relationship with Mickey.

Oklahoma is now on a recent skid. A win the weekend for us could help Coleman feel comfortable pulling the trigger, but how does he feel committing to a school when his coach MJ is hanging by a thread to even be around next year?

I’m sure it’d be easy for him to flip later, but what a boost it would be to get his high profile commitment. The rest of the class (mostly) has stuck together through this turmoil, grounded by other local kids.

Says he still plans on committing 10/22.

Of his finalists, he’s only visited Nebraska and Oklahoma. He might visit Georgia before the commitment.
Coaching staff is one of his big deciding factors.

#2 Athlete in the country per Rivals.

It feels like he wants to stay home, and I’m sure he has a great relationship with Mickey.

Oklahoma is now on a recent skid. A win the weekend for us could help Coleman feel comfortable pulling the trigger, but how does he feel committing to a school when his coach MJ is hanging by a thread to even be around next year?

I’m sure it’d be easy for him to flip later, but what a boost it would be to get his high profile commitment. The rest of the class (mostly) has stuck together through this turmoil, grounded by other local kids.
A lot of uncertainty around NU right now. I suppose he can commit now and change later if he doesn't like the direction we're heading.

A lot of uncertainty around NU right now. I suppose he can commit now and change later if he doesn't like the direction we're heading.
Historically this board hasn’t been kind when it comes to “soft” commits

Reactions: WHCSC
When has this board been kind to anybody? It’s very good at criticism.
The board is kind to transfers in while transfers out are declared quitters - likewise decommits that end up at NU vs decommits from NU that decide to go elsewhere

If Coleman needs more info he should wait to commit

Reactions: WHCSC
The board is kind to transfers in while transfers out are declared quitters - likewise decommits that end up at NU vs decommits from NU that decide to go elsewhere

If Coleman needs more info he should wait to commit
I think he wants to be N but I wouldn't blame any of our commits from bailing out if we hire somebody like O'Brien. He's not exactly known as a player's coach. Personally I would be fine with hiring BOB but the idea that kids commit to a school and not the coach is outdated for the most part. Some small town Nebraska kids would commit to the N regardless of the coach but that's about it. One way or another Mickey and Busch are the keys to our recruiting this year. Without them this will be a wasted class IMO.

I think he wants to be N but I wouldn't blame any of our commits from bailing out if we hire somebody like O'Brien. He's not exactly known as a player's coach. Personally I would be fine with hiring BOB but the idea that kids commit to a school and not the coach is outdated for the most part. Some small town Nebraska kids would commit to the N regardless of the coach but that's about it. One way or another Mickey and Busch are the keys to our recruiting this year. Without them this will be a wasted class IMO.
Agree. I think he should wait on his commit if he needs more certainty

We better not hire BOB. I know Trev and him are buds and he's an ok coach, but he is not what is needed. His hire would be similar to Riley where 1/2 of the fan base is basically automatically out and then Trev is going to have all kinds of issues on his hands especially if BOB has a really bad year out of the blocks.

Football is still a team sport and when you lose the kind of guys his team had last year individually you’re probably not going to look as good. The measurable are still there. Sounds like he’s a really good kid too
MC has been dinged up most of the year. Has not played a ton. When he HAS been out there, usually is double teamed. Defensively he has not really had to do too much. He belongs on offense. Is still the fasted kid on the field, makes great plays when he gets the chance. Columbus made the mistake of kicking a ball to him on kickoff and he easily mowed over the entire team on his way to the endzone. Also, East lost a once in a generation type QB, an now are starting a sophomore. A very talented one, but still very limited experience.

MC can be great in college with some discipline, maturity and a great offense.

Not sure what all is going on, but the kid is definitely struggling this year.
I've never seen the kid live. But a couple weeks ago husker online had a game highlights thing on him. The kid literally did nothing. He is a great athlete, but a 4 ro 5 star high school kid should be absolutely dominating high school kids Also seems like a lot of drama surrounding him.

I totally agree that both Mickey and Busch need to be retained, either with Mickey as HC or WR coach and Busch in one of his better positions.

After reading the long article on Ruhle, even though I think he can do a great job here, it seems like his recruiting parameters could conflict with Mickey's style of recruiting kids.

Not everyone has thought Mickey has done a great job as the Interim, I certainly think he has done well, it will make it harder for any incoming HC to gain the early support of the fans if Mickey and Busch leave.

In regards to BOB, he's a decent play caller, a growly prick who I think falls somewhere between Pelini and Frost. You are absolutely correct in that most kids go to a school because of the coach first and the school secondly.

Landing a kid like Coleman can help open the door to other potential good players, cause top kids know and talk to each other all the time. The thing can have a spiral affect.

hopefully this malachi name is not like a betts or manning name
where I see it typed 2 million times, yet never on the feild.

I like them names like grant...where thats all you hear from the feild.

MC seems like Omar Manning, minus the mental health issues he had in his first year, as MC is dinged up & injury-prone most of the season.

What a shame; both athletes are really good.

We better not hire BOB. I know Trev and him are buds and he's an ok coach, but he is not what is needed. His hire would be similar to Riley where 1/2 of the fan base is basically automatically out and then Trev is going to have all kinds of issues on his hands especially if BOB has a really bad year out of the blocks.
I literally had to google who tf Riley was. I've never met a single person who was happy with the hire when it was announced. I'd say 1/10 is more accurate than 1/2.

Football is still a team sport and when you lose the kind of guys his team had last year individually you’re probably not going to look as good. The measurable are still there. Sounds like he’s a really good kid too
I'm glad he didn't transfer after he lost his QB last year. Some Class A teams are totally stacked with transfers. I give Coleman props for his loyalty.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT