ADVERTISEMENT

Makes you wonder.....

Redgator

Walk On
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2001
If Adrian would have come to NU knowing how things would have turned out by his conversation with Sipple.

I didn’t get that vibe at all, reading the article. It did seem like he was pretty mentally and physically wore down last year and it seems like he has adopted a bit of the us against the world mentality. But man has that kid had a lot of significant injuries for someone his age.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Average college kids get homesick. Not add in all the pressure he has plus things not going great, plus getting dinged up...

Reactions: TheBeav815
I didn’t get that vibe at all, reading the article. It did seem like he was pretty mentally and physically wore down last year and it seems like he has adopted a bit of the us against the world mentality. But man has that kid had a lot of significant injuries for someone his age.

Not to dwell on the past, but I’m still pissed the Colorado player got no punishment for twisting Adrian’s knee... made worse by us losing two winnable games to them.

I like that Adrian is a mature guy who can handle the pressure of the position. I’m hopeful he’ll be able to bounce back this year and elevate his game. He just needs time to build chemistry with the receiving corp. OL should be improved.
Mills will anchor the backfield.
It’s time.

Too much deep thinking and introspection. Win a couple games, bang a couple (consenting) cheerleaders and drink a beer. Like I tell my son in baseball, stop thinking and just hit the f---ing ball. It's football, not the meaning of life.

I didn't get a negative vibe from reading the article...

Sounded to me like AM was just being honest, saying the things that everyone already knew (but players don't typically talk about). He was injured twice and the pressure really got to him and the team - pretty much sums it up IMO.

Hopefully he parlays better physical and mental health into a more successful season.

tumblr_lrkd5sYZ1b1qa0e9eo1_r1_500.gif
Too much deep thinking and introspection. Win a couple games, bang a couple (consenting) cheerleaders and drink a beer. Like I tell my son in baseball, stop thinking and just hit the f---ing ball. It's football, not the meaning of life.

If Adrian would have come to NU knowing how things would have turned out by his conversation with Sipple.
I read the article, I guess I didn't get that thought at all. I think he was just saying losing sucks and plays a toll on ones mentality. I don't think he was suggesting he wished he had went to a winning program.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen the article, and since it isn’t linked, I’m not going searching for it. If it gets linked I’ll read it. But I wonder why, if he has 2 years left, he would openly lament coming here... that seems like suicide. To Those who think he wishes he went elsewhere, why would he put this out there? It doesn’t really Make sense...

Reactions: huskerfan66
Sorry, does anyone have a link to this article? I haven’t seen it and haven’t been able to read it... if someone can link it that would be great

I haven’t seen the article, and since it isn’t linked, I’m not going searching for it. If it gets linked I’ll read it. But I wonder why, if he has 2 years left, he would openly lament coming here... that seems like suicide. To Those who think he wishes he went elsewhere, why would he put this out there? It doesn’t really Make sense...
He never said so in the article, just that there’s pressure and he’s playing for those around him.

Everyone is putting words in his mouth.

I'm continually baffled by the people who don't like 2AM, but people go to an ice cream shop and order a scoop of vanilla too, so to each their own I guess.

The kid's the only QB in school history to account for 5000+ yards and 40+ TD prior to his junior season, so I'm pretty excited to see what he can do the next couple of years.

Link to the article referenced:

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_6bc48a98-c367-5cbc-a8be-49fd1878d6b0.html

Link to a free podcast interview with 2AM:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-5-adrian-martinez/id1518647118?i=1000483626218

Last edited:
What do you want him to say? Last season sucked, it was frustrating enough to be a fan. Imagine how frustrating it would be to be the QB of the team and want to do better but your body isn't really capable of the level of play you want due to injuries?

You can't say anything right when you're losing, you can't say anything wrong when you're winning. They lost, people questioned his ability, people questioned his heart, people called for his job. You're not normal if that doesn't get to you.

Do we know what his camp injury was or is that going in the secret vault of never-to-be-confirmed stuff with Taylor Martinez's foot? My suspicion is something with his plant foot or throwing arm based on his accuracy problems but that's just a guess.

What do you want him to say? Last season sucked, it was frustrating enough to be a fan. Imagine how frustrating it would be to be the QB of the team and want to do better but your body isn't really capable of the level of play you want due to injuries?

You can't say anything right when you're losing, you can't say anything wrong when you're winning. They lost, people questioned his ability, people questioned his heart, people called for his job. You're not normal if that doesn't get to you.

Do we know what his camp injury was or is that going in the secret vault of never-to-be-confirmed stuff with Taylor Martinez's foot? My suspicion is something with his plant foot or throwing arm based on his accuracy problems but that's just a guess.
Agree If he wasn’t frustrated that would be an issue.

his coping mechanism is to say, the fan pressure won't bother me anymore...

the whole point of that pressure is to get you to do something, like make plays and win games.

instead of using that pressure to help you win, he says I'll just learn not to listen to the pressure..

It's similar to someone picking on a fat kid for eating too much.. the whole point is to get the kid to decide to change his diet, not for the kid to say, I'm not going to listen to those bullies anymore, and have my ice cream and enjoy it.

the whole point of that pressure is to get you to do something, like make plays and win games.

instead of using that pressure to help you win, he says I'll just learn not to listen to the pressure..

It's similar to someone picking on a fat kid for eating too much.. the whole point is to get the kid to decide to change his diet, not for the kid to say, I'm not going to listen to those bullies anymore, and have my ice cream and enjoy it.
That is one dumb take.

He didn’t do that, at all.

You can't say anything right when you're losing
For example....

Playing QB as a true frosh in the B1G isn’t “supposed” to happen. Means your team has issues. Further he didn’t play senior year ball- making it even crazier.
He did well though despite some freshman errors.

The sophomore year was a regression of course, but he was still a young sophomore with no redshirt and no senior HS ball.

I’m not excusing last year or ignoring contributing team factors, but there’s plenty of reason to believe he still has the potential to come out of last year’s slump and emerge as a viable QB to win us games.

That is one dumb take.
is it?

well I do think he was honest in that article.. but it was the same stuff from him.

more excuses, then he stops himself, says he isn't playing for the fans or media anymore (too much pressure) and is just going to play for the coaches and what not.. and not let football define him (too much pressure) and so he's basically telling everyone right there..

it's too much pressure.. I can't handle it.

that is what he is saying.. so he's going to modify how he looks at it, and while it might show some growth in how he is dealing with it, it's not the kind of growth needed at the position necessarily.. and why is that?

because athletics are all about competition and pressure.. whether it is 1v1 or a team sport.. it's going to be pressure every game, every down.

I don't want a guy back there that can't handle the pressure. It's a huge reason for the results for the past 2 years.

is it?

well I do think he was honest in that article.. but it was the same stuff from him.

more excuses, then he stops himself, says he isn't playing for the fans or media anymore (too much pressure) and is just going to play for the coaches and what not.. and not let football define him (too much pressure) and so he's basically telling everyone right there..

that is what he is saying.. so he's going to modify how he looks at it, and while it might show some growth in how he is dealing with it, it's not the kind of growth needed at the position necessarily.. and why is that?

because athletics are all about competition and pressure.. whether it is 1v1 or a team sport.. it's going to be pressure every game, every down.

I don't want a guy back there that can't handle the pressure. It's a huge reason for the results for the past 2 years.
Your personal vendetta against AM is easy to see.

So let me get this straight... AM should listen to the fans and their criticisms and use that to make him a better QB. But you refuse to listen to the constant criticisms of this board that calls you a crummy poster as it relates to AM. If you used the same standards you have for AM, you would be a much better poster by now.

What gives?

Your personal vendetta against AM is easy to see.

So let me get this straight... AM should listen to the fans and their criticisms and use that to make him a better QB. But you refuse to listen to the constant criticisms of this board that calls you a crummy poster as it relates to AM. If you used the same standards you have for AM, you would be a much better poster by now.

What gives?
A for effort and creativity!

nah, this is all on Frost.. he's the one putting the chess pieces on the board, so this is all on him as far as I'm concerned.

Adrian is actually a nice guy.

Personally, I want to win football games

is it?

I mean I have to agree that was a pretty silly post of yours... you were going to find negative in anything he said, if he talked positive you would have complained that he didn’t learn, he spoke the truth and said what 99% of all football players say, when they say they block out the noise, and you complain about that... I typically see eye to eye with you on a lot of things but you have had it out for 2AM for a while

A for effort and creativity!

nah, this is all on Frost.. he's the one putting the chess pieces on the board, so this is all on him as far as I'm concerned.

Adrian is actually a nice guy.

Personally, I want to win football games
You just hit like 3 different angles of shit all in one post. That was mind boggling.

Reactions: headcard
I mean I have to agree that was a pretty silly post of yours... you were going to find negative in anything he said, if he talked positive you would have complained that he didn’t learn, he spoke the truth and said what 99% of all football players say, when they say they block out the noise, and you complain about that... I typically see eye to eye with you on a lot of things but you have had it out for 2AM for a while
I saw nothing in that article that gave me a heads up that something changed for the better. In fact the opposite. I'm sorry the folks on here don't like my posts about it.

You just hit like 3 different angles of shit all in one post. That was mind boggling.
I was giving Tim some props for his post, because it was creative and of good effort.

I then tried to explain that it was not an obsession with AM, but rather I hold Scott accountable for this.

I also don't have anything against AM, because I do think he is a nice guy.

That doesn't mean I think the right chess pieces are in the right spots to win football games.

Hopefully that untangles it a bit better. ;)

I saw nothing in that article that gave me a heads up that something changed for the better. In fact the opposite. I'm sorry the folks on here don't like my posts about it.
I don’t know if it’s so much people don’t like your posts about it, as much as it is people are kinda over the obvious vendetta over him... I mean not trying to be a smart ass but it’s almost like he stole your chick or something and now you’ll forever have this vendetta against him regardless of what he says or does from here on out

I was giving Tim some props for his post, because it was creative and of good effort.

I then tried to explain that it was not an obsession with AM, but rather I hold Scott accountable for this.

I also don't have anything against AM, because I do think he is a nice guy.

That doesn't mean I think the right chess pieces are in the right spots to win football games.

Hopefully that untangles it a bit better. ;)
Sure thing!

I don’t know if it’s so much people don’t like your posts about it, as much as it is people are kinda over the obvious vendetta over him... I mean not trying to be a smart ass but it’s almost like he stole your chick or something and now you’ll forever have this vendetta against him regardless of what he says or does from here on out
that kid is the reason we have lost so many football games the past 2 years.

From here on out, it's now on the coach.

It won't matter if I call out Frost on it either.. some on here will still be upset.

that kid is the reason we have lost so many football games the past 2 years.

From here on out, it's now on the coach.

It won't matter if I call out Frost on it either.. some on here will still be upset.
The reason they've lost so many games?

15 total losses.

You can subtract any games Martinez didn't play or left with the team up and any two-score game because that's a team loss. I understand a great QB can overcome multiple scores, but that's on the team, both falling behind by multiple scores and overcoming it.

6 losses remain.

Iowa '19 - Iowa gave up an average of 14 PPG in 2019. Nebraska lost 27-24, but had a non-offensive score. Long scores due to failed containment, poor special teams, a killer Mike Williams "penalty", 2AM failing to stay in bounds, long play given up with seconds remaining, a dagger kick from an All-American kicker.

Martinez played poorly. This loss could be pinned on him, but there are other obvious factors.

Iowa '18 - Iowa gave up an average of 18.1 PPG in 2018. Nebraska lost 31-28. Large deficit most of the game, big brass balls call to go for it from inside NU's own 10 after stopping Iowa on 4th down and goal changed everything, and a 4th down conversion for Iowa preceding a walk-off FG.

Martinez had a passer rating of 138, a 68.5% completion percentage, and a 2:1 TD:INT ratio while accounting for 336 yards. This one's not on 2AM.

Purdue '19 - Missed opportunities in the red zone, a late TD drive by Purdue's 3rd string QB was key.

Martinez accounts for over 300 yards, but plays poorly. I would put this on the defense failing to get the stop, but I can see this one being put on Martinez due to the failure to score in the red zone and a terrible INT after a blocked punt.

Colorado '19 - Backup punter misses potential game-tying FG, CTB bites on a flea-flicker, team played flat after the half.

Martinez accounts for over 350 yards, 4 TDs, and a passer rating of 172.9. This one's also not on Martinez.

Ohio State '18 - Nebraska leads at the half, but gets bullied in the second half. 2AM has a bad lateral that likely cost the team at least 3 points in a 5 point loss. JD Spielman drops a crucial walk-in TD pass.

Martinez accounts for over 330 yards and 3 total TDs with 0 INTs in one of the toughest places to play in the country. If you're hanging the kid for not playing perfect, go for it, but he played well here.

Northwestern '18 - Wildcats come back from down 10 with about 3 minutes left in the game and convert multiple 4th downs to do so. Martinez throws a pick from the 40-yard line in OT on 4th down while running from pressure.

Martinez only accounts for 288 yards and this game is one of two in which he throws multiple INTs in a loss (2019's 48-7 loss vs. OSU is the other). If you watched this game you know 2AM wasn't the reason for the loss.

So, there's debatably two or three losses that you can hang on Martinez if you're so inclined to ignore the fact that football is a team game. You point to a 9-15 record, which nobody is happy about, while claiming that a kid who accounted for 10 points in 10 quarters is better than a kid who's statistically been better at his position than anyone ever to attend the university through two years and was voted a team captain as a true sophomore. Your stance is simply indefensible...but don't let me or anyone stop you from trying.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT