ADVERTISEMENT

Mack Brown. Did NU pursue after Bo was fired?

v1nufan

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 15, 2018
I don’t recall any specific chatter back in the day.
They do love him in NC !

GBR!

That was The AD's choice. Tom promised Frank the job, and the boosters had Tom's back. All Rumors of course

Byrne could have wanted to hire him but it is all water underneath the bridge... If it isn’t broke don’t fix it is the way I looked at it.. The staff was intact but a few were getting ready to hang it up as assistance....

Reactions: huskerfan66
That was The AD's choice. Tom promised Frank the job, and the boosters had Tom's back. All Rumors of course
Mack would have been a great successor to Tom. Its kind of unfortunate that Frank didn't take the Minnesota job a few years earlier.

I know a lot of people don't like him due to his ties to Texas, but he really is a man of integrity and was always able to keep his players in the program for 4 years. His downfall there was the boosters that have unrealistic expectations in regards to national championships.

Mack would have been a great successor to Tom. Its kind of unfortunate that Frank didn't take the Minnesota job a few years earlier.

I know a lot of people don't like him due to his ties to Texas, but he really is a man of integrity and was always able to keep his players in the program for 4 years. His downfall there was the boosters that have unrealistic expectations in regards to national championships.

His down fall was not getting rid of Offensive coordinator Greg Davis in my humble opinion...

Solich knew he had the Nebraska job probably the reason why he did take the Minnesota job..

His down fall was not getting rid of Offensive coordinator Greg Davis in my humble opinion...

Solich knew he had the Nebraska job probably the reason why he did take the Minnesota job..
I dont know where the whole Greg Davis narrative comes from, and I've heard it before, but Mack got rid of him after 1 losing season. Prior to that they consistently won 10 or more games.

Reactions: bobcrane14
128-27 between 98 (first year at UT) and 09. Never finished below 2nd in the division during those years.

It's super easy to say now that Mack Brown woulda been a better hire. Actually we woulda probably all been more happy at that time as well. Instead we got Mr. rainbows and sunshine, fired him, and have all our eggs in the Frost basket.

Reactions: bobcrane14
I don't believe Mack was a candidate when Riley was hired, not that there was actually a search. I have heard many times that Gundy really wanted the job then, but again not actually a search. Mack was the AD's choice when TO retired.

Reactions: CatColumbia
I'm assuming the OP meant when Bo was fired as head coach in 2014.
It's super easy to say now that Mack Brown woulda been a better hire.
At any point in human history it would have been super easy to say that Mack Brown was a better hire.

But, most probably figured Brown was happy in semi-retirement, doing the TV studio gig.

I don't think there was a search after Bo was fired. As I remember the events, and old memories do make poor records, Bo was fired on Sunday. SE contacted the Oregan State AD on Monday morning to get permission to talk to MR. OSU AD said MR was in San Francisco on a recruiting trip. Harvey was in San Francisco on business and made first contact with MR in MR's hotel room. Late Monday night SE was on a plane to San Francisco to meet with MR at MR's hotel room early Tuesday morning. MR heads back to Oregon and asks his wife if she wants one last great adventure. Wednesday evening NU flies MR into Lincoln to be presented as the new Nebraska football coach.

I don't think there was a search after Bo was fired. As I remember the events, and old memories do make poor records, Bo was fired on Sunday. SE contacted the Oregan State AD on Monday morning to get permission to talk to MR. OSU AD said MR was in San Francisco on a recruiting trip. Harvey was in San Francisco on business and made first contact with MR in MR's hotel room. Late Monday night SE was on a plane to San Francisco to meet with MR at MR's hotel room early Tuesday morning. MR heads back to Oregon and asks his wife if she wants one last great adventure. Wednesday evening NU flies MR into Lincoln to be presented as the new Nebraska football coach.
I believe there was wierd story about they’re love affair in si. Sean eichorst was the worst thing to happen to Nebraska football in its entire history

Reactions: scarletred
I don’t recall any specific chatter back in the day.
They do love him in NC !

GBR!

Of course they love him in NC (My in-laws live about 17 miles south of Chapel Hill. They have a cool football stadium, too). Mack is easily the most media friendly, pat-you-on the back, tell the folks what they want to hear coach of the modern era. He will be good for 6-8 wins a year and he will keeping on telling the Tar Heel fans how good he has it (and imply how good they have it).

We should have known what to expect when he showed up in a brown suit...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT