ADVERTISEMENT

MAC Conference now has canceled their football season

Well obviously the MAC is not going to be playing any B1G teams in the Spring if we actually have the Fall season.

Will the vaccine be safe to use.. Some have their doubts..
Well that's what all the Phased Development Testing is all about - making sure it does offer protection and is safe. It won't be without some temporary side effects for a couple of days but most vaccines have the same kind of side effects like soreness at the injection site for a day or two.

It also won't be 100% effective, vaccines rarely are 100%. So far the vaccines which made it through Phase 2 are looking good. But yes, it's important that they get through the much larger Phase 3.

No guarantee but so far so good.

Well that's what all the Phased Development Testing is all about - making sure it does offer protection and is safe. It won't be without some temporary side effects for a couple of days but most vaccines have the same kind of side effects like soreness at the injection site for a day or two.

It also won't be 100% effective, vaccines rarely are 100%. So far the vaccines which made it through Phase 2 are looking good. But yes, it's important that they get through the much larger Phase 3.

No guarantee but so far so good.

Yes but if you read the detail he's referring to a 98% or higher effective rate. For a vaccine to be approved it only has to be 50% effective or greater.

Most vaccines are not 98% effective either. The old shingles vaccine, for example, was only about 51% effective (some said up to 67% for certain conditions). The new shingles vaccine is a major improvement at about 90% effective but still it's not 98% effective either.

Reactions: bshirt73
I had the shingles vaccine last fall, and it made me tired and weak for a day. It knocked my sister out for about three days. We are both fine. Vaccines jolt the immune system to kill the intended virus.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
I had the shingles vaccine last fall, and it made me tired and weak for a day. It knocked my sister out for about three days. We are both fine. Vaccines jolt the immune system to kill the intended virus.
My cousin had the new shingles shots and was sicker than a dog in bed for a couple of days with serious flu like symptoms for the first shot and a little less sick but still sick for the 2nd one.

I had the two new shingles shots myself and only experienced a little tenderness around the injection site for a couple of days and then only if I touched the injection site. Other than that I had no noticeable reaction.

The point is that vaccine shots affect different people differently.

A vaccine with 75% effectiveness and the level of unknown herd immunity from positive cases by fall should help return life to a respectable semblance of normal. There will also most likely be more than 1 vaccine option and I have no clue if 2 shot would be dangerous or offer additional protection?

A vaccine with 75% effectiveness and the level of unknown herd immunity from positive cases by fall should help return life to a respectable semblance of normal. There will also most likely be more than 1 vaccine option and I have no clue if 2 shot would be dangerous or offer additional protection?
there are quite a few companies lining up to try to have a vaccine. that tells me they see an opportunity even being 3rd, 4th, or 5th to market. The initial vaccine won't be able to be supplied in quantity for everyone. It is looking more likely we may need an annual shot. Some vaccine technology will probably end up being more effective than the initial vaccine. in 2 years we all hopefully will end up getting a 1 time per year covid shot with over 90% protection and it will not be the one used initially next year if that happens. the world will need the manufacturing capabilities of more than company to supply it

Yeah my shingles shots kicked my butt too. My wife got her first one recently and had zero issues. Either she just got a placebo or is way tougher than me. :D

1st shingles shot - slight site soreness
2nd shingles shot - headaches, persistent nausea, extended fatigue.

Didn't bitch - a case of full blown shingles is living hell.

Yes but if you read the detail he's referring to a 98% or higher effective rate. For a vaccine to be approved it only has to be 50% effective or greater.

Most vaccines are not 98% effective either. The old shingles vaccine, for example, was only about 51% effective (some said up to 67% for certain conditions). The new shingles vaccine is a major improvement at about 90% effective but still it's not 98% effective either.

Good info sir.....thank you!

Even if a vaccine is approved this one will obviously be very rushed.

The flu vaccine took 10 years to develop if I recall correctly. Even then it only hits like 3 strands per year or 4 with the higher end shot.

My wife is a nurse and flat says she doesnt trust vaccines for 10 years. After that they're pretty solid.

They can't make it financially with their own conference schedule?
Sports for most non-Power 5 conferences are a losing proposition if they don't have money games with Power 5 teams. Their TV revenues aren't enough to support the costs associated with operations of the teams. and all of the testing and protocols mandated by the NCAA. There will no doubt be layoffs of athletic department employees associated with this.

My cousin had the new shingles shots and was sicker than a dog in bed for a couple of days with serious flu like symptoms for the first shot and a little less sick but still sick for the 2nd one.

I had the two new shingles shots myself and only experienced a little tenderness around the injection site for a couple of days and then only if I touched the injection site. Other than that I had no noticeable reaction.

The point is that vaccine shots affect different people differently.
There is also the placebo effect. Give people a sugar pill/ phony injection, and well over 20 percent will complain of substantial side effects. Also works the opposite way.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Even if a vaccine is approved this one will obviously be very rushed.

The flu vaccine took 10 years to develop if I recall correctly. Even then it only hits like 3 strands per year or 4 with the higher end shot.

My wife is a nurse and flat says she doesnt trust vaccines for 10 years. After that they're pretty solid.
Tell your wife she's still operating in the last century. Vaccine development has improved dramatically in the past 20 years. They're using test groups of over 30,000 people for each different company's vaccine. Hell I WISH they had convinced thousands of teachers to be test subjects for this because it WILL work and it WILL be safe. I have no doubt about that at all. Reaction rates and side effects will be similar to flu vaccine. We really could have and SHOULD have had all of our teachers vaccinated by now. What's interesting is that we've got tens of thousands of cops interacting with low lifes on a daily basis getting spit on and screamed at and nobody seems to care.

There is also the placebo effect. Give people a sugar pill/ phony injection, and well over 20 percent will complain of substantial side effects. Also works the opposite way.
That is absolutely what we'll HAVE to realize when people start complaining of a reaction to COVID vaccine. I expect there will be more reactions to adjuvants than there will be actual reactions to the antigens in the vaccine and even the number of those will be exaggerated due to the psychological aspect.

Reactions: nwualum
Tell your wife she's still operating in the last century. Vaccine development has improved dramatically in the past 20 years. They're using test groups of over 30,000 people for each different company's vaccine. Hell I WISH they had convinced thousands of teachers to be test subjects for this because it WILL work and it WILL be safe. I have no doubt about that at all. Reaction rates and side effects will be similar to flu vaccine. We really could have and SHOULD have had all of our teachers vaccinated by now. What's interesting is that we've got tens of thousands of cops interacting with low lifes on a daily basis getting spit on and screamed at and nobody seems to care.

You're correct that things have gotten 1 million percent better. She's an adamant pro vaccine person. However she's realistic enough to realize that as has already been said ... there are issues. 51% effective or so to start. Production issues. People being stupid.

It takes a decade to work all that out. Just how it is. Any vaccine is a game changer but not to the extent people want to believe unless you want to wait a few years.

Edit : dont get me wrong I'm not trying to put words in my wife's mouth or any health care worker for that matter. Just don't expect miracles. It's science and it will work it just doesn't happen overnight.

Last edited:
My wife works for mayo and deals with them everyday.

You're correct that things have gotten 1 million percent better. She's an adamant pro vaccine person. However she's realistic enough to realize that as has already been said ... there are issues. 51% effective or so to start. Production issues. People being stupid.

It takes a decade to work all that out. Just how it is. Any vaccine is a game changer but not to the extent people want to believe unless you want to wait a few years.
My spouse is a boarded Mayo trained pulmonologist. I have a doctorate in a medical field and have dealt with vaccines for decades. This deal is a little different IMO than building a totally new vaccine against a new pathogen. We've been doing this in animals for decades and recently have done this for other Corona viruses in multiple species using genetic mapping and subunit technology. A SARs vaccine was developed at Oxford then abandoned after successful testing due to SARS dying out on its own. I just don't think her concern over this one is warranted. JMO. Now if this were a vaccine against a novel endotoxin being produced by bacteria, I might be concerned.

My spouse is a boarded Mayo trained pulmonologist. I have a doctorate in a medical field and have dealt with vaccines for decades. This deal is a little different IMO than building a totally new vaccine against a new pathogen. We've been doing this in animals for decades and recently have done this for other Corona viruses in multiple species using genetic mapping and subunit technology. A SARs vaccine was developed at Oxford then abandoned after successful testing due to SARS dying out on its own. I just don't think her concern over this one is warranted. JMO. Now if this were a vaccine against a novel endotoxin being produced by bacteria, I might be concerned.

Fair enough... trust me I'm not saying it isn't a gamechanger. Just that it won't happen overnight. And I have all the faith in the world in the stupidity of humanity.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Fair enough... trust me I'm not saying it isn't a gamechanger. Just that it won't happen overnight. And I have all the faith in the world in the stupidity of humanity.
With any vaccine you have to weigh the risk of the vaccine against the risk of contracting the disease. With the way they've ramped up production in anticipation of approval, I believe we may have 100 million people vaccinated by end of January unless the media decides to spread fear of the vaccine due to an oddball reaction.

With any vaccine you have to weigh the risk of the vaccine against the risk of contracting the disease. With the way they've ramped up production in anticipation of approval, I believe we may have 100 million people vaccinated by end of January unless the media decides to spread fear of the vaccine due to an oddball reaction.

The oddball reaction is the one I’m afraid of..And of course I’m defiantly don’t want to be microchipped in anyway so the government can have control of me or anyone else their giving it too..

The oddball reaction is the one I’m afraid of..And of course I’m defiantly don’t want to be microchipped in anyway so the government can have control of me or anyone else their giving it too..
so you're saying you're an oddball????:confused: JK.

ADVERTISEMENT