ADVERTISEMENT

M. Scott III

Mack In Motion

Graduate Assistant
Jun 20, 2001
Carries vs Illinois: 8 for 22 yards. 0 carries in the second half.
Carries vs. PSU: 5 for 11 yards. One carry in the second half when we were literally trying to run out the clock for 1.5 quarters.

Not eye-popping numbers, but Mills wasn't available, and WR is going to get killed back there.

Not sure why we are going away from him late, seems like a back with his build could punish a tired defense and put us in third and short situations. And maybe help keep our damn defense off the field.

Anyone know his situation? Early dinner plans on Saturdays?

He's 5'9" 185 not exactly a bruiser. Strong kid with some upside though.

He's 5'9 210

Robinson, the guy we are running late between the tackles, is 5'10, 185.

Was just curious if Scott has a reputation for fumbling in practice, etc

I'll eat my shoe if Scott is either 5'9" or 210 pounds. But I'll meet you in the middle and say 195. That's still not what I'd call a bigger back.

Carries vs. PSU: 5 for 11 yards. One carry in the second half when we were literally trying to run out the clock for 1.5 quarters.

Not eye-popping numbers, but Mills wasn't available, and WR is going to get killed back there.

Not sure why we are going away from him late, seems like a back with his build could punish a tired defense and put us in third and short situations. And maybe help keep our damn defense off the field.

I think here is part of the problem, the offense has zero identity after the scripted plays it’s like throwing darts and see where the dart hit that’s the next play

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15

Averaging under 3 yards a carry and people think we should use him more? McCaffrey is our best back, and it's not close.

Reactions: EastOregonHusker
I can only say our coaches are smoking crack if they think we’ll win another game with our current offensive “game plan” of:
ignore the RBs
refuse to throw downfield
fire 50% accuracy on short throws that get us minimal yards
give undersize frosh QB with turnover problems more carries than anyone in history.

... and I’m smelling the fumes

Totally agree. Frost is adverse to sticking to what works. He do t like it unless it’s scores in 1:35

I can only say our coaches are smoking crack if they think we’ll win another game with our current offensive “game plan” of:
ignore the RBs
give undersize frosh QB with turnover problems more carries than anyone in history.

Seriously though... how are we gonna recruit RBs and WRs if we never use them. You’ve got 3 downs to divvy up the 7 yards we get a possession

From what little evidence we have seen, we have more than adequate RB's behind Mills. No one seems to be able to get into a rythym and then completely disappears. All the carries are coming from the QB which certainly hasn't proven to be a winning combination. It puts yards in the stats column but not points on the board.

Averaging under 3 yards a carry and people think we should use him more? McCaffrey is our best back, and it's not close.
McCaffrey would be dead within 2 quarters if he had to run inside the way scott is asked to do. I am thankful for you.

From what little evidence we have seen, we have more than adequate RB's behind Mills. No one seems to be able to get into a rythym and then completely disappears. All the carries are coming from the QB which certainly hasn't proven to be a winning combination. It puts yards in the stats column but not points on the board.
We really need a much better defense to be able to run a ground and pound run game. Iowa and Northwestern can get away with their starting running backs getting 30 carries a game at 3 yards per carry because they have the defense to back it up when they don't generate many points. We obviously can't rely on our defense, so the only chance we have of winning games is opening up our offense with athletes like LM or Wandale getting carries instead of our actual running backs.

Because 2/3 of his runs are on pass plays, when the d is spread out, and he's not running directly at large men who want to kill him. I am thankful for you.
No, most are designed runs. I'd prefer if we called more pass plays and let him decide if he needs to take off or not. It would give our offense more options at least.

ignore the RBs

Do you really think this is the game plan from the coaches??

Do you really think this is the game plan from the coaches??
No, not the game plan in their mind,,,,
but I think that if $5 million isn’t enough to coach your team up to even remotely execute your game plan, then the $5 mil is getting burned in the crack pipe.

We are in the lower half of the Big10 in RB talent. Nebraska lacking top rb talent. Don’t give me ratings. by actual talent, not various website ratings that make their money if if fan $

• Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
McCaffrey had 26 carries running the ball all over the place against Illinois. I think he'll be fine.
No. He would not hold up . AM is bigger and he can't handle the punishment either. Not a knock on them .

We are in the lower half of the Big10 in RB talent. Nebraska lacking top rb talent. Don’t give me ratings. by actual talent, not various website ratings that make their money if if fan $
You haven't watched some of the runs Marvin Scott has made as a true freshman. He's going to be a stud but he can't shed 2 and 3 tacklers every time they hand off to him. That sideline play he made against PSU was a glimpse of what he's going to be for us IMO. Insane catch followed by trucking a would be tackler to stay in bounds and get a first down. He's a dude. Morrison is going to be that speed back. Thompkins if we can keep him healthy is a stud. We've got some guys. The issue isn't the back. The issue has been a lack of consistency by our O line. Our line play against Illinois was a mess. Was Illinois that good up front and at backer or are we that bad?

You haven't watched some of the runs Marvin Scott has made as a true freshman. He's going to be a stud but he can't shed 2 and 3 tacklers every time they hand off to him. That sideline play he made against PSU was a glimpse of what he's going to be for us IMO. Insane catch followed by trucking a would be tackler to stay in bounds and get a first down. He's a dude. Morrison is going to be that speed back. Thompkins if we can keep him healthy is a stud. We've got some guys. The issue isn't the back. The issue has been a lack of consistency by our O line. Our line play against Illinois was a mess. Was Illinois that good up front and at backer or are we that bad?
Teams have zero respect for our passing game. Load up the box and you can control everything between the tackles and minimize everything to the outside including passes into the flat. Even if we do complete a pass more than 10 yards, it's to a spot where by the receiver catches it while falling down. No one's afraid to give that to us. Half the time it's incomplete anyways

Teams have zero respect for our passing game. Load up the box and you can control everything between the tackles and minimize everything to the outside including passes into the flat. Even if we do complete a pass more than 10 yards, it's to a spot where by the receiver catches it while falling down. No one's afraid to give that to us. Half the time it's incomplete anyways
That is EXACTLY what is happening. Then when you have a defensive guy like Lovie who can easily confuse a young QB with his coverages, you're really screwed. We got out coached by Lovie Sunday and a large part of that was just the inexperience of Luke.

Something that doesn't get mentioned enough is the importance of intelligence. A good or great player is more than talent alone. While the need for talent is obvious, it seems to me we are sorely lacking football IQ, including coaches and players. The near constant bone-headed play on the field consistently negates anything positive. It's one thing to say we lack top shelf talent, it's another to see our QB tuck and run because he fails to see a wide open receiver, or a running back dive into a pile of defenders, rather than follow a block for positive yardage. There are plays to be had, but the lack of intelligent play is dumfounding. It's almost as if the team needs collective therapy.

Something that doesn't get mentioned enough is the importance of intelligence. A good or great player is more than talent alone. While the need for talent is obvious, it seems to me we are sorely lacking football IQ, including coaches and players. The near constant bone-headed play on the field consistently negates anything positive. It's one thing to say we lack top shelf talent, it's another to see our QB tuck and run because he fails to see a wide open receiver, or a running back dive into a pile of defenders, rather than follow a block for positive yardage. There are plays to be had, but the lack of intelligent play is dumfounding. It's almost as if the team needs collective therapy.

Its all over sports

ADVERTISEMENT