ADVERTISEMENT

M E T S Mets mets mets

yunginsNU2

All-American
May 24, 2006
How bout em.. they just got Lindor and are not done.. talking about adding springer and in trade talks with cubbies for Bryant... this is really happening..hopefully my slump is turning around.. NU football basketball and baseball.. Mets Giants abd Bulls.. at least its a starr.. so excited

They will do like my Red Sox and sell the farm for immediate results and a few years later you have nothing.

With very few exceptions..most MLB fans would trade their teams history with you...including the very thing you just mentioned.

Been a fan since 1969.

In grade school at Calvert in Lincoln, the PE teacher made us watch the World Series during our lunch recess. It was only a few days each year, back when games were during the afternoon.

Hated it then, fond memory now. I got to watch McNally hit the Grand Slam in 1970.

With very few exceptions..most MLB fans would trade their teams history with you...including the very thing you just mentioned.

They hired a new general manager last year and they want to get off the merry go round of spend, win and bust. They have to get under the salary cap so they can draft players and build up the minor league. It's boom or bust and spend a lot of money while you are doing it.

Been a Mets fan for close to 50 years. Feels so good to finally be acting like a big market team.

I think I read where new owner is wealthier than the next 3 owners combined.

LGM

I have been even longer. But I'm from New York.

My dad was a NYC fireman. Many of the firemen and cops moonlighted as ushers. My brother and I would pay $3 for seats in the upper deck. Then in the eighth inning, we would meet him for emptied field level seats.

HOJO!

BigPessimisticIberianmole-small.gif

They will do like my Red Sox and sell the farm for immediate results and a few years later you have nothing.
And.... it was absolutely the right thing to do, no? Surely you're not a Red Sox fan complaining that winning 4 titles in the last 20 years isn't good enough? They will be back sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Herbert Husker
I have been even longer. But I'm from New York.

My dad was a NYC fireman. Many of the firemen and cops moonlighted as ushers. My brother and I would pay $3 for seats in the upper deck. Then in the eighth inning, we would meet him for emptied field level seats.

HOJO!

50 years for me as well, seen it all and most of the time. It wasn’t good! Having this owner is such a breath of fresh air, he’ll not only spend money smartly, like all the articles I have read about his philosophy state but I like his passion for building up the Mets minor league system. I also like that we can compete for the international players, that signing period just started, watch out for the Mets getting a very talented player added there soon as well.

I like Sandy Anderson, his hands were literally tied during the Wilpon fiasco his first time around, he can now do his job without restrictions, a huge positive.

The fresh smell of a Wilpon less ownership has really ignited the entire Mets fan base, Wilpon’s son was a major roadblock, he was the President of Baseball ops besides the CFO, the kid was handed the team by his wealthy daddy to play with, when I read the article about 1 year ago how the initial deal fell through had me boiling, for non Mets fans here’s a few cliff notes....

The original deal was, the Wilpons take $2.6Billion from Cohen but they run the team for 5 more years, wow, just wow! The daddy Wilpon then wanted a permanent position for his son after the 5 year window, with a raise and use of private jet, wow, just wow. Cohen then turned around and said, I’m out of the deal to the NY papers, they take my money and still run the team?? This made the Wilpon’s even more hated by the fan base. The Wilpon’s then tried their own media campaign saying Cohen was not fit to be an owners due to his past dealings trying to deflect the pure greed of themselves and their incompetent son, Jeff.

Finally, the minority owners of the Mets, Saul Katz I believe, stepped in at the start of the pandemic, saw the Mets were going to lose another ton of money this year and said...the Cohen deal is back on the table, as were two other interested parties and that Jeff Wilpon will no longer be part of the negotiation team.......big step there, all Mets fans rejoiced hoping Cohen would outbid Arod and his gal toy, which they did.

well, let’s see, love the start of his ownership plus he’s already given back all employees salaries, given a ton of money to the Queen’s NY area and stated....I’m a life long Mets fan, I have the money to make Mets fans happy and that’s my goal, I won’t make money matter fact i forecast losing $400Million the first two years of operation but we’ll right this ship and build a perennial winner, just like he Dodgers have done the last decade.

Hoping for Springer and then the return of Syndergaard in Late June, will be a lot of fun watching he Mets from now on.

50 years for me as well, seen it all and most of the time. It wasn’t good! Having this owner is such a breath of fresh air, he’ll not only spend money smartly, like all the articles I have read about his philosophy state but I like his passion for building up the Mets minor league system. I also like that we can compete for the international players, that signing period just started, watch out for the Mets getting a very talented player added there soon as well.

I like Sandy Anderson, his hands were literally tied during the Wilpon fiasco his first time around, he can now do his job without restrictions, a huge positive.

The fresh smell of a Wilpon less ownership has really ignited the entire Mets fan base, Wilpon’s son was a major roadblock, he was the President of Baseball ops besides the CFO, the kid was handed the team by his wealthy daddy to play with, when I read the article about 1 year ago how the initial deal fell through had me boiling, for non Mets fans here’s a few cliff notes....

The original deal was, the Wilpons take $2.6Billion from Cohen but they run the team for 5 more years, wow, just wow! The daddy Wilpon then wanted a permanent position for his son after the 5 year window, with a raise and use of private jet, wow, just wow. Cohen then turned around and said, I’m out of the deal to the NY papers, they take my money and still run the team?? This made the Wilpon’s even more hated by the fan base. The Wilpon’s then tried their own media campaign saying Cohen was not fit to be an owners due to his past dealings trying to deflect the pure greed of themselves and their incompetent son, Jeff.

Finally, the minority owners of the Mets, Saul Katz I believe, stepped in at the start of the pandemic, saw the Mets were going to lose another ton of money this year and said...the Cohen deal is back on the table, as were two other interested parties and that Jeff Wilpon will no longer be part of the negotiation team.......big step there, all Mets fans rejoiced hoping Cohen would outbid Arod and his gal toy, which they did.

well, let’s see, love the start of his ownership plus he’s already given back all employees salaries, given a ton of money to the Queen’s NY area and stated....I’m a life long Mets fan, I have the money to make Mets fans happy and that’s my goal, I won’t make money matter fact i forecast losing $400Million the first two years of operation but we’ll right this ship and build a perennial winner, just like he Dodgers have done the last decade.

Hoping for Springer and then the return of Syndergaard in Late June, will be a lot of fun watching he Mets from now on.

So many famous people died last year.

The first I thought of was Tom Terrific. Damn, he was a smooth, powerful pitcher. I just remembered. He was pretty bad with a bat although a darn good athlete. So classy and well spoken.

R.I.P. Tom Seaver

Do you remember what he named his dog?

Reactions: Uncle Donny
And.... it was absolutely the right thing to do, no? Surely you're not a Red Sox fan complaining that winning 4 titles in the last 20 years isn't good enough? They will be back sooner rather than later.
As someone who lived in Chicago for the Cubs’ WS win, it was amazing to me how quickly their fans reverted to complaining about the team the very next season. They literally just experienced the most satisfying championship a fanbase could ever experience, then went on to savor it for maybe a month.

Note that this isn’t a slam directed towards Cubs fans. A big chunk of every fanbase does it.

LFGM

Last edited:
So many famous people died last year.

The first I thought of was Tom Terrific. Damn, he was a smooth, powerful pitcher. I just remembered. He was pretty bad with a bat although a darn good athlete. So classy and well spoken.

R.I.P. Tom Seaver

Do you remember what he named his dog?

I actually met him in March of 1985 at the spring training site of the White Sox, I played for Florida Southern and we had an exhibition game against them in Sarasota. I was in CF during BP, my normal position shagging balls, Seaver was playing Pepper literally 25 feet from me, he missed the ball, hit me in the foot, asked me...son, can you throw me the ball which I tossed back but was too intimidated to say a word, still kicking myself all of these years later.

Reactions: Catch50
Don't worry you'll pry steal KB from the Cubs for nothing here in a couple days.

As someone who lived in Chicago for the Cubs’ WS win, it was amazing to me how quickly their fans reverted to complaining about the team the very next season. They literally just experienced the most satisfying championship a fanbase could ever experience, then went on to savor it for maybe a month.

Note that this isn’t a slam directed towards Cubs fans. A big chunk of every fanbase does it.

LFGM
Yeah, the human condition is definitely misery! Look at LSU, one year from a championship and they're all in misery!

Don't worry you'll pry steal KB from the Cubs for nothing here in a couple days.

I think the Mets are done, maybe Springer and that’s all because of 4 BIG factors.....

Lindor, Conforto and Syndergaard are FA’s after this season and Cano’s $24M comes back next year as well, they will not only go by the luxury tax, they will blow by it so they are thinking about next year as well.

Good to see the Cleveland Baseball Team dying a slow death. Gives the Royals a shot at third place.

They are the Cleveland Indians and always will be.

Kind of surprising that Carrasco was in the deal as well. I don't know how much he has left in the tank, but he is a solid pitcher.

Truly disappointing as a Tribe fan that they couldn't get a title with the pitching staff they had assembled for the last couple of years.

I think the Mets are done, maybe Springer and that’s all because of 4 BIG factors.....

Lindor, Conforto and Syndergaard are FA’s after this season and Cano’s $24M comes back next year as well, they will not only go by the luxury tax, they will blow by it so they are thinking about next year as well.

I was so disappointed when the deal fell apart the first time. The situation just felt so typical for Mets fans. Cohen is a fans dream since there's no hard salary cap. I'm actually excited for baseball this year.

I know I shouldn't get greedy, but I hope they go after KB or sign Springer. Just one more move to put us over the hump. I would even be happy with another pitcher to slide in 4-5 slot or maybe a left handed reliever. It feels good to have hope man.

Reactions: JerseyHusker
I was so disappointed when the deal fell apart the first time. The situation just felt so typical for Mets fans. Cohen is a fans dream since there's no hard salary cap. I'm actually excited for baseball this year.

I know I shouldn't get greedy, but I hope they go after KB or sign Springer. Just one more move to put us over the hump. I would even be happy with another pitcher to slide in 4-5 slot or maybe a left handed reliever. It feels good to have hope man.

The big key is taking advantage of the short window of time Degrom has left to be the ace, we need to surround him with the pieces now and going forward. And can Syndergaard come back and be ready to go around the all star break? That’s why I would rather have Bauer over Springer, have a Degrom and Bauer be 1-2 with a nice 3rd and 4th being Carrasco and Strome until Syndergaard gets back for the second half push, that then gives you Degrom, Bauer, Syndergaard , Carrasco and Strome as your five with Peterson as a spot starter along with Matz.

It's always great fun to go on shopping spree and throw a bunch of names in the hopper and hope it works out. But VERY rarely does baseball work out quite that way. For me, the Braves will remain the favorites in the east. But, no doubt the Mets appear to be on a mission.

While a difficult decision to make, I think Mets should let Thor walk next year. Because of his persona the free market will overvalue him. Every fanbase wants the big 6’6” flamethrower who looks like a superhero. Because of that, he’s going to make a lot more than he’s worth.

While a difficult decision to make, I think Mets should let Thor walk next year. Because of his persona the free market will overvalue him. Every fanbase wants the big 6’6” flamethrower who looks like a superhero. Because of that, he’s going to make a lot more than he’s worth.

I agree, he’s an interesting character and never lived up to his hype, he’s a great 3 or 4 not the 1 or 2 he originally looked like. The next problem though is Stroman is in his last year, Carrasco is older and if we pass on Syndergaard the cupboard is quite bare.

The Mets depleted their young pitching in trades so their system has two quality arms....Allan who is only 19 and Ginn (high pick out of Mississippi State last year) who is recovering from TJ surgery will not be ready at the MLB level until ‘22 at the earliest, hoping he gets some minor league inning in later this year.

Reactions: bigboxes

For me yes, those titles are great. I have been a Sox fan since I was a kid in the 60's. The organization is not happy with the spend, deplete, win some, salary cap, bottom of the division, rinse and repeat. They want a more consistent product that doesn't break the bank with the salary cap. Once your farm team gets depleted, it takes years to build back up unless you want to spend a ton of money which the Sox are now not wanting to do.

How bout em.. they just got Lindor and are not done.. talking about adding springer and in trade talks with cubbies for Bryant... this is really happening..hopefully my slump is turning around.. NU football basketball and baseball.. Mets Giants abd Bulls.. at least its a starr.. so excited
METS have one problem: They can't beat the Yankees

Reactions: trwebe
Never understood the whole "send you pictures of my junk" thing. Especially to someone who clearly wasn't responding. Stupid is as stupid does.
I wonder -- in the history of pictures -- if that strategy has ever worked, even once.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT