ADVERTISEMENT

Luke McCaffrey to Louisville

I find this line of thinking rather humorous.

in order to replace a player who's been bad, we need to have 'the answer'? how about giving another kid more than 2 games to see if he's even 1% more capable than bad, which is what the other guy has been for 20+ games?
Part of the issue is that he was banged up after his last start and then he "opted out" of the Rutgers game. The guy traveled with the team but NU took 2 walk on QBs with them on the trip. I'm not sure if it was injury or just butt hurt, but he either couldn't or wouldn't play at Rutgers. With his transfer I think the message is that he wouldn't.

Luke was looking at sitting for at least one year if not 2 behind AM and then no guarantee he would start over Smothers or some other QB not even on campus yet. He opted to pack his duffel and move on. Next man up. Crying over a guy who doesn't want to be here is silly.

Part of the issue is that he was banged up after his last start and then he "opted out" of the Rutgers game. The guy traveled with the team but NU took 2 walk on QBs with them on the trip. I'm not sure if it was injury or just butt hurt, but he either couldn't or wouldn't play at Rutgers. With his transfer I think the message is that he wouldn't.

Luke was looking at sitting for at least one year if not 2 behind AM and then no guarantee he would start over Smothers or some other QB not even on campus yet. He opted to pack his duffel and move on. Next man up. Crying over a guy who doesn't want to be here is silly.
I wish it was next man up.

instead, it's rinse and repeat.

I'd rather see any of the 5 QBs on the roster take the first snap of the season than AM.

I find this line of thinking rather humorous.

in order to replace a player who's been bad, we need to have 'the answer'? how about giving another kid more than 2 games to see if he's even 1% more capable than bad, which is what the other guy has been for 20+ games?
Its possible to go from Bad to Worse. That's what happened. The Illinois game was quite a bit worse than Martinez has ever played. You need to play the guy that gives the team the best chance to win the game. Everyone wanted Luke to take the job and run with it but we all saw what happened.

Its possible to go from Bad to Worse. That's what happened. The Illinois game was quite a bit worse than Martinez has ever played. You need to play the guy that gives the team the best chance to win the game. Everyone wanted Luke to take the job and run with it but we all saw what happened.
AM turned the ball over 4 times in the first half against Rutgers for crying out loud.

he is the losingest QB in Husker history. he will be the losingest QB in college football history when he's done. having no quarterback gives us a better chance to win than he does.

McCaffery didn’t even suit up for the Rutgers game and it was apparent he had some injury holding him back.

I won’t defend 2AM but of of those 4 turnovers was a cartwheel somersault and after that he settled down and played well..

McCaffery was given odd play calls in the Minnesota game but still failed in the passing game..It was obvious Luke was having trouble in the passing game for what ever reason...

It’s because frost has sold out on Martinez. His play has been crap for the past two years and yet he is still the starter. Luke is twice the athlete.
Luke was definitely an athlete when he wasn’t busy turning the ball over. His turnover stats are ridiculous! Lucky for us and best of luck to him!

Now we just need to get a QB that can protect the football!

Considering our STARTING QB is has been 7, 7.8 and 7.5 per attempt I would gladly take 9.6 to 12 YARDS PER COMPLETION the last 2 years.....that's basically a first down every pass!

Even the GREAT Trevor Lawrence who EVERYBODY WORSHIPS ONLY averaged 9.4! But hey Nebraska fans know great QB's They see them that's why we the laughing stock of college football right now....VERY MYOPIC!
Trevor Lawrence hits receivers in stride downfield all the time. His arm is on another level. That comparison is a head-shaker.
I don't know what advice Luke has gotten but he needs to look at the NFL success his big brother and dad had not playing QB and switch positions. He has the physical ability to be a great receiver but that just isn't true at QB. In the right system he might thrive in college but that just won't lead to bigger things like a Lamar Jackson because LM can throw much much better.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Well unfortunately since we don't appear to have anybody better, IMO we would be worse off without Adrian on the roster. Likewise IMO it hurt to lose Luke. Whether he's great or even good, you still need a body to run out there. My view says though that maybe we might be better off with a walk on who doesn't turn the ball over out there with average foot speed.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
McCaffery didn’t even suit up for the Rutgers game and it was apparent he had some injury holding him back.

I won’t defend 2AM but of of those 4 turnovers was a cartwheel somersault and after that he settled down and played well..

McCaffery was given odd play calls in the Minnesota game but still failed in the passing game..It was obvious Luke was having trouble in the passing game for what ever reason...
He "opted out" of the Rutgers game. Traveled but didn't suit. Didn't even try to warm up. There must have been some clue that this might happen because we took a freshman walk on QB and suited him up. Was it injury or butt hurt? It's anybody's guess.

Reactions: scarletred
He "opted out" of the Rutgers game. Traveled but didn't suit. Didn't even try to warm up. There must have been some clue that this might happen because we took a freshman walk on QB and suited him up. Was it injury or butt hurt? It's anybody's guess.
My guess is his feelings are tender and someone got in his ear.

If you can go, and you get a chance to play, you should be ready and want the opportunity. Adrian is fairly fragile, so he was really just one hit away.

What I wonder is this. Did Frost want him on the field more and he resisted, or would he have taken every chance to line up out wide? I realize it's not that easy, but the number of plays in your college career is limited. Make every effort to get on the field.

My guess is his feelings are tender and someone got in his ear.

If you can go, and you get a chance to play, you should be ready and want the opportunity. Adrian is fairly fragile, so he was really just one hit away.

What I wonder is this. Did Frost want him on the field more and he resisted, or would he have taken every chance to line up out wide? I realize it's not that easy, but the number of plays in your college career is limited. Make every effort to get on the field.
IF he were physically able to play and IF he had suited, he likely would have replaced Adrain after those first half tunovers IMO.

Last edited:
If it was butt hurt why would he have travelled with the team. Again why would Frost allow this apparent negativity around the program? If he was already out the door and it was clear, again why would they allow him to travel? Also, why would they allow the negativity around the program?

I believe that people are attempting to connect non-existent dots.

*Marginally worse. Like, statistically less than 10% worse. In his first ever action compared to a 3-year starter.

Why the hyperbole?

His balls have no velocity. I've seen much better passers not get a scholarship offer from the FBS div., let alone a power 5 scholarship.

Trevor Lawrence hits receivers in stride downfield all the time. His arm is on another level. That comparison is a head-shaker.
I don't know what advice Luke has gotten but he needs to look at the NFL success his big brother and dad had not playing QB and switch positions. He has the physical ability to be a great receiver but that just isn't true at QB. In the right system he might thrive in college but that just won't lead to bigger things like a Lamar Jackson because LM can throw much much better.

I don't care if he can hit the backside of your families barns....QB stats, fairings are what they are. If their QB hits passes at an average of a first down a throw then that's among the best in college football and that means you have to have talent around you to accomplish that.

Where is the DEVELOPED TALENT at Nebraska that can first get the ball to playmakers and playmakers that have made it happen so far at Nebraska. Let me answer there for you, They aren't their yet. Now go look at the stats for Louisville receivers and running backs.

Their offensive production is way better which I'm sure Luke and his dad discussed. Oh yea, even if he decided that QB ain't working out he KNOWS they will have a good QB who can get the ball to him at receiver and he will be DEVELOPED at that position as well...

If it was butt hurt why would he have travelled with the team. Again why would Frost allow this apparent negativity around the program? If he was already out the door and it was clear, again why would they allow him to travel? Also, why would they allow the negativity around the program?

I believe that people are attempting to connect non-existent dots.
Farnoik Brothers and Wandale were negative.

Reactions: Red I 73
His balls have no velocity. I've seen much better passers not get a scholarship offer from the FBS div., let alone a power 5 scholarship.

That's kind of interesting. A tangent to your point - Gerry Gdowski didn't have an arm at all but he was dynamite in the option game, smart and played in an offense that was run first. He ended up with great passing stats.

To your point though, in our current offense we do need a guy that can throw. Gdowski would not work in this offense either.

Now off point again - That's the problem with 'balance'. It's hard to find guys that can do both equally well.

Reactions: bshirt73
Where is a Nate Mason, Clete Blakeman, Brook Berringer when you need a solid backup to hang around 4 or 5 years when you need them?

Agree. And the answer is .......back in time. Times sure have changed. They don't want to redshirt. They would rather transfer and sit out. Weird.

That's kind of interesting. A tangent to your point - Gerry Gdowski didn't have an arm at all but he was dynamite in the option game, smart and played in an offense that was run first. He ended up with great passing stats.

To your point though, in our current offense we do need a guy that can throw. Gdowski would not work in this offense either.

Now off point again - That's the problem with 'balance'. It's hard to find guys that can do both equally well.
being either unwilling or incapable of adjusting an offense to suit the players on the roster is not a great sign for the coaching staff's outlook

Reactions: Lincoln100
He may be thinking he's got the tools to get to the NFL, and doesn't trust this staff to develop them.

He may be thinking he's got the tools to get to the NFL, and doesn't trust this staff to develop them.

He just transferred to Louisville. They went 4-7 last year. Their staff has sent 1 player to the NFL at Louisville (an OL) and never developed a NFL QB, anywhere. But sure, being developed into a NFL QB, that's probably why he left and ended up at Louisville.

Last edited:
He just transferred to Louisville. They went 4-7 last year. Their staff has sent 1 player to the NFL at Louisville (an OL) and never developed a NFL QB, anywhere. But sure, being developed into a NFL QB, that's probably why he left and ended up at Louisville.

You okay?

I’m doing good. Care to tell us more about how the staff at Louisville is developing players for that NFL?
How about you tell me how the staff at NU is doing. That might answer your question. Also, does Louosville run tje same offense?

How about you tell me how the staff at NU is doing. That might answer your question. Also, does Louosville run tje same offense?
I think Luke wants to go somewhere to compete with someone who's not the coach's son & he might get a chance to improve instead of having to worry about being benched every time he doesn't perform well while watching his competitor play like sh*t for 2+ years and only having to sit for 2 games.

I'm not the one saying he went to Louisville to get developed as a NFL QB. Because that is crazy talk. And while we are bad, Frost has at least developed some QB's in his career. The kid left because he was benched and got his feelings hurt, the move to Louisville, to back up a better QB on a worse team, confirms as much.

I'm not the one saying he went to Louisville to get developed as a NFL QB. Because that is crazy talk. And while we are bad, Frost has at least developed some QB's in his career. The kid left because he was benched and got his feelings hurt, the move to Louisville, to back up a better QB on a worse team, confirms as much.
I think it confirms the fact the QB 'competition' is nothing but an outward farce, especially coupled with the fact Frost seems to have zero interest in bringing anyone else in to push his son (AM) to play better and/or get beat out.

anything else makes little sense.

I think Luke wants to go somewhere to compete with someone who's not the coach's son & he might get a chance to improve instead of having to worry about being benched every time he doesn't perform well while watching his competitor play like sh*t for 2+ years and only having to sit for 2 games.
There's a lot of truth right here ^

Uh huh, maybe he trusts every other staff on the planet more than this one. Part of that may have to do with opportunity. Really not that crazy at all, wouldn't you agree?

Reactions: jsachisler
I think it confirms the fact the QB 'competition' is nothing but an outward farce, especially coupled with the fact Frost seems to have zero interest in bringing anyone else in to push his son (AM) to play better and/or get beat out.

anything else makes little sense.

Yes, he would never bench AM. Except for the fact that he did just that and the next man up was even worse, much, much worse.

ADVERTISEMENT