ADVERTISEMENT

Luke McCaffrey to Louisville

So he's going into a situation where he'll be sitting behind a good but not great multi-year starter. Sounds familiar.

I would you rather sit behind a dude whose a bona fide starting QB who has developed for one year in an offensive system that puts him good position to make plays with better developed fallen around him also. Plus their running back production is way better than Nebraska's the last 2 years!

Plus there is guarantee after this year he would get developed to be a better passer by Mario either....odds are against it. Then with Logan Smothers in the house who they probably feel better about it's a no brainer if you ask me. I'm sure his dad sees it that way also..

Reactions: jsachisler
I am positively drooling over Cunningham's stats.

9 yards/completion?! is that even allowed?! what is this sorcery?!

Considering our STARTING QB is has been 7, 7.8 and 7.5 per attempt I would gladly take 9.6 to 12 YARDS PER COMPLETION the last 2 years.....that's basically a first down every pass!

Even the GREAT Trevor Lawrence who EVERYBODY WORSHIPS ONLY averaged 9.4! But hey Nebraska fans know great QB's They see them that's why we the laughing stock of college football right now....VERY MYOPIC!

It’s because frost has sold out on Martinez. His play has been crap for the past two years and yet he is still the starter. Luke is twice the athlete.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I would you rather sit behind a dude whose a bona fide starting QB who has developed for one year in an offensive system that puts him good position to make plays with better developed fallen around him also. Plus their running back production is way better than Nebraska's the last 2 years!

Plus there is guarantee after this year he would get developed to be a better passer by Mario either....odds are against it. Then with Logan Smothers in the house who they probably feel better about it's a no brainer if you ask me. I'm sure his dad sees it that way also..
It’s absolutely a no brainer. He was not going to beat out AM. He’s just not P5 QB material right now. Nothing wrong with chasing your dream though.

I am surprised that Luke didn't transfer for 2nd semester so that he could get a spring under his belt with the new team.

You do know he transferred to Louisville right? Who was 4-7 (3-7 in conference). I would think he was transferring to a powerhouse based on your analysis.

Reactions: Baxter48
Luke got his chance and was brutal. Frost hasn’t sold out on AM, he benched him and Luke was worse WAY worse. Yes, he is a great athlete but we need anQB.
*Marginally worse. Like, statistically less than 10% worse. In his first ever action compared to a 3-year starter.

Why the hyperbole?

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
*Marginally worse. Like, statistically less than 10% worse. In his first ever action compared to a 3-year starter.

Why the hyperbole?

1) I was pulling for LM to become the full time starter
2) He was given a shot
3) The statistic that probably kept that from happening is LM throwing an INT for every 12.6 pass attempts in 2020. vs the other turnover machine we have at QB throwing one pick for every 50.3 pass attempts.

I know. AM never throws the ball downfield which is a huge reason why he doesn't get picked often (6.98 yards / attempt) but LM threw it downfield even less (6.13 yards / attempt).

I like LM and how he competes. Hope he does well. But if he goes to Louisville and puts up worse stats across the board than their current starter, he'll remain on the bench there. If he continues to throw INT's 4x as often as the current starter, he won't be in the 2 deep.

1) I was pulling for LM to become the full time starter
2) He was given a shot
3) The statistic that probably kept that from happening is LM throwing an INT for every 12.6 pass attempts in 2020. vs the other turnover machine we have at QB throwing one pick for every 50.3 pass attempts.

I know. AM never throws the ball downfield which is a huge reason why he doesn't get picked often (6.98 yards / attempt) but LM threw it downfield even less (6.13 yards / attempt).

I like LM and how he competes. Hope he does well. But if he goes to Louisville and puts up worse stats across the board than their current starter, he'll remain on the bench there. If he continues to throw INT's 4x as often as the current starter, he won't be in the 2 deep.
Fair enough, even if point #3 comes with context (2 picks came after being thrown into the fire due to AM injury/ineptitude, AM lost fumbles at 3x the rate of Luke).

My personal opinion is he didn’t get a fair shake or any support after struggling, recognized it and decided he was in a no-win situation competing against a guy the head coach has said he sees himself in more than a dozen times publicly.

Again, that’s just my opinion.

Reactions: gw2kpro
Because you know it wasn’t marginally, it was WAY worse. I’ve given you the stats over and over.
you point to TD/INT as the only stats that are WAY worse (again, there's context here)

every single other stat is within 10%. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

do you think Joey Gallo is a better hitter than Mookie Betts because he hits more homers, too?

take the blinders off, friend. you'll see better.

you point to TD/INT as the only stats that are WAY worse (again, there's context here)

every single other stat is within 10%. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

do you think Joey Gallo is a better hitter than Mookie Betts because he hits more homers, too?

take the blinders off, friend. you'll see better.

Betts is better, because he is better in every single way. With LM and AM it is not one category, it is all of them. AM is not good, but he was better in every single statistical measure.

It is black and white, if you you refuse to see that, you have blinders on. Yards, completion %, ypa, qb rating, turnovers per play. It wasn’t close. LM got a chance and was bad, let’s hope someone is good this year.

Betts is better, because he is better in every single way. With LM and AM it is not one category, it is all of them. AM is not good, but he was better in every single statistical measure.

It is black and white, if you you refuse to see that, you have blinders on. Yards, completion %, ypa, qb rating, turnovers per play. It wasn’t close. LM got a chance and was bad, let’s hope someone is good this year.
better, yes. WAY better? no.

LM got a chance. he didn't get even close to the leash AM has in his putrid career. I don't blame LM for recognizing the fact he never will be afforded the margin of error his competitor has been given and going elsewhere to compete with a statistically better QB.

better, yes. WAY better? no.

LM got a chance. he didn't get even close to the leash AM has in his putrid career. I don't blame LM for recognizing the fact he never will be afforded the margin of error his competitor has been given and going elsewhere to compete with a statistically better QB.
It will certainly be interesting to see how he fares at Louisville. And if he stays at QB if he doesn't win the job.

You do know he transferred to Louisville right? Who was 4-7 (3-7 in conference). I would think he was transferring to a powerhouse based on your analysis.

I'm guess you don't get it. Players want to be DEVEOLOPED and go to the LEAGUE! They care more about playing in good systems and in places where they have good talent around them on their side of the ball that are productive.....winning comes after that.

Yall keep poopooing....oh its just Louisville. Well we are just Nebraska and getting blowed out when it comes to producing NFL TALENT!

Louisville has had 7 players drafted in last 3 drafts compared to our 3 or something. They have had 3 FIRST ROUND PICKS the last 3 years! How far does Nebraska have to go back to come up 3 first round picks developed in Lincoln...early to mid 2000's (Suh, Amukamura, ?)?!

Players want to play in the league and right now Nebraska ain't the place to go for that. I know the truth hurts..

I'm guess you don't get it. Players want to be DEVEOLOPED and go to the LEAGUE! They care more about playing in good systems and in places where they have good talent around them on their side of the ball that are productive.....winning comes after that.

Yall keep poopooing....oh its just Louisville. Well we are just Nebraska and getting blowed out when it comes to producing NFL TALENT!

Louisville has had 7 players drafted in last 3 drafts compared to our 3 or something. They have had 3 FIRST ROUND PICKS the last 3 years! How far does Nebraska have to go back to come up 3 first round picks developed in Lincoln...early to mid 2000's (Suh, Amukamura, ?)?!

Players want to play in the league and right now Nebraska ain't the place to go for that. I know the truth hurts..

Truth? Who has this staff at Louisville developing? What QB's? They have been at Louisville two seasons and Cunningham regressed big time from year one to year two. They had 1 player drafted after their first year in Louisville and two total at App State, zero QB's.

I know it's cool to piss and moan, but this is just crazy talk. Louisville is bad and is developing no one. Luke got his feelings hurt, because he lost the job he had for a couple weeks so he transferred. He found no one willing to give he a starting role, so he landed at a situation just like the one he left. Has nothing to do with Louisville's imaginary player development. Truth hurts.

Last edited:
Truth? Who is this staff at Louisville developing? What QB's? I know it's cool to piss and moan, but this is just crazy talk. Louisville is bad and is developing no one. Luke got his feelings hurt, because he lost the job he had for a couple weeks so he transferred. He found no one willing to give he a starting role, so he landed at a situation just like the one he left. Has nothing to do with Louisville's imaginary player development. Truth hurts.
we're sure this is true?

my thought is he doesn't want to be Sisyphus, always pushing the stone up the hill in Frost's heart AM was allowed to freely climb. which is completely understandable.

we're sure this is true?

my thought is he doesn't want to be Sisyphus, always pushing the stone up the hill in Frost's heart AM was allowed to freely climb. which is completely understandable.

I don't understand you analogy, but I'm pretty sure that he left because he got benched. If he had performed worth a dam and kept the job, I'm sure he would still be here. Same thing happened with Levis at PSU.

I don't understand you analogy, but I'm pretty sure that he left because he got benched. If he had performed worth a dam and kept the job, I'm sure he would still be here. Same thing happened with Levis at PSU.
ahh man.. that analogy is some of my best work!

and, yes, I agree that if Luke had stayed the starter, he'd still be here. where we differ is why he did not remain the starter, and whose feelings were actually hurt by the brief change.

Luke is a good athlete and would be a very good WR or RB. But he's not a QB. Luke playing QB for us was like Christian trying to play QB for the Panthers.

AM has been bad, yes, but LM was not the answer.
I find this line of thinking rather humorous.

in order to replace a player who's been bad, we need to have 'the answer'? how about giving another kid more than 2 games to see if he's even 1% more capable than bad, which is what the other guy has been for 20+ games?

like, our starting pitcher trots out there with a 6+ ERA, but unless Roger Clemens walks through the door, we have no choice but to keep getting shelled?

awesome.

I'd personally rather see if someone with raw talent can eek out a 5.5 in the meantime.

like, our starting pitcher trots out there with a 6+ ERA, but unless Roger Clemens walks through the door, we have no choice but to keep getting shelled?

awesome.

I'd personally rather see if someone with raw talent can eek out a 5.5 in the meantime.

But he couldn’t. He gave up 20+ runs everytime. We might not need Roger Clements to improve, but we need someone better. Not a DH, playing pitcher.

• Haha
But he couldn’t. He gave up 20+ runs everytime. We might not need Roger Clements to improve, but we need someone better. Not a DH, playing pitcher.
in 2 games, including our best win in years, you're able to make this judgement?

I'm not. I think he could've gotten better, and, in turn, made the entire team better.

he wasn't given that chance, unfortunately. and now we're stuck with a historic loser in whom Frost will never stop seeing himself to continue to be the known quantity he is.

it sucks.

let's hope all 10 positions on offense besides QB are all-B1G performers this year, because #2 has proven he doesn't make any of his teammates even 1% better.

he needs carried, and is the antithesis of what every football fan wants as the face of the program.

I admit it would've been interesting to see Frost just ride with Luke the rest of the season. But that didn't happen. It's weird to see the crowd that loves to excoriate posters for "making excuses" for Frost or AM.... making excuses for Luke. He was bad. AM was bad. Moving on.

I admit it would've been interesting to see Frost just ride with Luke the rest of the season. But that didn't happen. It's weird to see the crowd that loves to excoriate posters for "making excuses" for Frost or AM.... making excuses for Luke. He was bad. AM was bad. Moving on.
Not all bads are equal.

AM’s brand of bad is hopeless, mind numbing, insurmountable

LM’s brand of bad is inexperienced, boom-or-bust, wildly fluctuating

I know which I’d have liked to see more of.

Reactions: otismotis08
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT