ADVERTISEMENT

Luke McCaffery

If there isnt a season this year eligibility will be a mess
I think that's the least of their worries right now. I suspect the NCAA is going to have to raise scholarship limits and bend Title IX rules a little in order to be fair to kids. It will be interesting for sure.

we know where you stand. I hope the best players play, regardless of position.

no other qb has won a game under Frost, so those stats are pesky for you, as well.
“To me, what separates really good players from great players? Executing while under pressure. The biggest games, the greatest stage, I think that is what playing quarterback is all about.” Tom Brady

And hopefully this is why they turned to Luke to make that TD throw against Iowa last year.

And why the rest of you fans are ok with losing and defending losing qb's, I'll never understand.

How's this sound....

Frost sold his sole to the devil to get AM, promised him to be the starter. Period.

They way he played last year leads me to believe this is the case.

How's this sound....

Frost sold his sole to the devil to get AM, promised him to be the starter. Period.

I’ll make more of that elaboration after this coming season... We have more experience at QB than the past 2 years and let’s see how 2AM comes back from his operation on his injury’s..

Reactions: huskerssalts
I’ll make more of that elaboration after this coming season... We have more experience at QB than the past 2 years and let’s see how 2AM comes back from his operation on his injury’s..

agreed there. I haven’t gave up on Martinez and now the QB room is in much better shape, I am whiling to wait and see how this year goes before saying Martinez is a lost cause or not. Dude played hurt and needed surgery last season. One things for sure, if Martinez doesn’t do good to great, he will get benched and then we will see Luke McCaffrey as our QB. He’s already redshirted and ready to rock now...no 4 game rule to worry about now. For the record, I’m as excited about Luke McCaffrey at QB as anyone is on here. Dudes going to be a good one for us.

So, here we go again. As far as we all know from reports, he was hurt in the 9th game of the season.

“To me, what separates really good players from great players? Executing while under pressure. The biggest games, the greatest stage, I think that is what playing quarterback is all about.” Tom Brady

And hopefully this is why they turned to Luke to make that TD throw against Iowa last year.

And why the rest of you fans are ok with losing and defending losing qb's, I'll never understand.
I love it! The rest of us fans are ok with losing! Only Nikki sees it!

Too good...

It isn't so much as being moved to WR. He's very bright. He knows the job of every WR and can execute them. You keep him up to speed at both spots. He can easily do that and is a tremendous asset in that regard. It helps your travel roster situation immensely.
Totally. And supposedly he's the third fastest guy on the team. Keep him involved. Figure out how to use him or lose him.

So, here we go again. As far as we all know from reports, he was hurt in the 9th game of the season.
For all we know, he was hurt to the point of very hurt that ninth game. If he played dinged up prior to that, then took a shot on the same area, that just upped the problem, one he'd been playing with for who knows how long.
Speculations on injuries are somewhat pointless, whatever side you're coming from. We aren't AM, neither are his doctors, his coaches etc.The other two qbs also got hurt enough to get pulled, but rest assured, SF kept AM as long as he could, but he didn't want his whole room injured to that extent.

I guess it's how you look at it. For me, if your number one can go,play him. Wandale was hurt too, snapped a hammy, still wanted to play, they said no, even as shorthanded at rb as we were.

How's this sound....

Well you typed "Period" at the end, so that settles it!

I thought Martinez had a lousy 2019, but did you watch any of the games he didn't start? Like this one, for example:
Nebraska-Minnesota drive chart

You still haven't gotten my point? Ask coach Verdu.
He's a qb, Logans a qb, and AM is a qb. AM will be the starter until he isn't.
Luke needs snaps at qb,so does Logan.

Unless we become poor at wr position, they'll continue to vie for qb position.
I get you like Luke, I get you either never liked,or have lost faith in AM.
But, neither Verdu or SF has.
Until they do, the man whose responsibility it is to turn this thing around has my trust.
Luke has the most inexperience at QB out of all of them as the others have been QB's the entire time they've been playing football, LM has only been playing QB since his Jr year in HS. Before that he grew up a Receiver, so in all reality Luke is clearly behind the 8 Ball when it comes to all the other QB's in the room. Want an example? Last year after Martinez went down before Vedral went down as well, Vederal made LM look foolish when he was running the offense which operated at a phenominal light speed tempo which gave us an actual glimpse of how the O is supposed to operate. LM did a great job when he got in, but the offensive tempo was nowhere close to how NV operated it. Vederal will still be #2 in the QB

Last edited:
IF you're talking about Martinez all reports you've read are not correct. One of the surgeries he had was for an injury that originally occurred in preseason camp.

Reactions: bshirt73
Luke has the most inexperience at QB out of all of them as the others have been QB's the entire time they've been playing football, LM has only been playing QB since his Jr year in HS. Before that he grew up a Receiver, so in all reality Luke is clearly behind the 8 Ball when it comes to all the other QB's in the room. Want an example? Last year after Martinez went down before Vedral went down as well, Vederal made LM look foolish when he was running the offense which operated at a phenominal light speed tempo which gave us an actual glimpse of how the O is supposed to operate. LM did a great job when he got in, but the offensive tempo was nowhere close to how NV operated it. Vederal will still be #2 in the QB
Being number three doesn't give you the snaps you need. I think being redshirted with real game experience will help Luke alot, think he jumps Vedral. Tempos important, but having the goods, that's Luke.

We r really fortunate to have so much talent at quarterback. I still believe that the coaches who r at practices every day will play the best qb. The best qb is always number 2. I would be comfortable with any of these guys being r qb. Hopefully we get pass this virus and we get back on schedule. Stay healthy!

agreed there. I haven’t gave up on Martinez and now the QB room is in much better shape, I am whiling to wait and see how this year goes before saying Martinez is a lost cause or not. Dude played hurt and needed surgery last season. One things for sure, if Martinez doesn’t do good to great, he will get benched and then we will see Luke McCaffrey as our QB. He’s already redshirted and ready to rock now...no 4 game rule to worry about now. For the record, I’m as excited about Luke McCaffrey at QB as anyone is on here. Dudes going to be a good one for us.

Yep, they're both quite possibly terrific qbs....it's so easy to see. AMart was a sensational freshman qb....I gotta think injuries (& hikes flying around everywhere) just derailed him a lot last year.

It's just bloody great to have that kind of talent.

You still haven't gotten my point? Ask coach Verdu.
He's a qb, Logans a qb, and AM is a qb. AM will be the starter until he isn't.
Luke needs snaps at qb,so does Logan.

Unless we become poor at wr position, they'll continue to vie for qb position.
I get you like Luke, I get you either never liked,or have lost faith in AM.
But, neither Verdu or SF has.
Until they do, the man whose responsibility it is to turn this thing around has my trust.
Being a paid member of the RSS, and not having visited the main board for quite a long time, (too long apparently) I find it amusing and actually uplifting as a Husker fan, for this type of opinion to be shared...here, out in the open, without the use of an alias. Very impressive indeed. Logic shared, proud and out-loud.

Had you attempted this on the famous RSS, you'd be shamed, whipped, then tarred and feathered.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Being a paid member of the RSS, and not having visited the main board for quite a long time, (too long apparently) I find it amusing and actually uplifting as a Husker fan, for this type of opinion to be shared...here, out in the open, without the use of an alias. Very impressive indeed. Logic shared, proud and out-loud.

Had you attempted this on the famous RSS, you'd be shamed, whipped, then tarred and feathered.
Too bad for them then. The definition of expert comes to mind, thanks for sharing, last place I want to be.
I like being a fan over being right,

Being number three doesn't give you the snaps you need. I think being redshirted with real game experience will help Luke alot, think he jumps Vedral. Tempos important, but having the goods, that's Luke.
He won't pass Vederal as Noah knows the offense better than any QB in the room as the only one's that know the offense better than him are the coaches. The sad thing about Luke is, he has the worst arm in the room. Don't get me wrong, I Iike LM but the goods? He's fast but needs to have a better arm than everyone else in the room to be number 1 to win the job and that just isn't happening. I see him going back to his natural position that he played untill 11th grade which was receiver down the road.

He won't pass Vederal as Noah knows the offense better than any QB in the room as the only one's that know the offense better than him are the coaches. The sad thing about Luke is, he has the worst arm in the room. Don't get me wrong, I Iike LM but the goods? He's fast but needs to have a better arm than everyone else in the room to be number 1 to win the job and that just isn't happening. I see him going back to his natural position that he played untill 11th grade which was receiver down the road.
Unfortunately to those that think this, both SF and coach Verdu recruited him as a qb, and when asked otherwise, Verdu sets them straight,qb.
Until I hear different, Noah is a wideout that just knows the qb position as well, as no ones asked either Verdu or SF this question, thus, making it the higher probibility.

But again, they didnt choose him because he had a bad arm.
Or, some may think this is a Bo run qb scenario?

Unfortunately to those that think this, both SF and coach Verdu recruited him as a qb, and when asked otherwise, Verdu sets them straight,qb.
Until I hear different, Noah is a wideout that just knows the qb position as well, as no ones asked either Verdu or SF this question, thus, making it the higher probibility.

Yes, while it's no substitute for being the beloved local fan favorite, McCaffrey wasn't the full-time starting QB until his senior year in high school because he was actually competing with other Power 5 quarterback prospects.

Or maybe Scott Frost and a bunch of other Power 5 coaches who recruited McCaffrey as a QB just didn't notice what a bad arm he had? Yeah, that's probably it.

Yes, while it's no substitute for being the beloved local fan favorite, McCaffrey wasn't the full-time starting QB until his senior year in high school because he was actually competing with other Power 5 quarterback prospects.

Or maybe Scott Frost and a bunch of other Power 5 coaches who recruited him as a QB just didn't notice what a bad arm he had? Yeah, that's probably it.
Thing is, he jumped right in his senior year, and won the title.
Replacing a decent
P5 qb and winning the state can't be all that bad.

I didn't say he had a bad arm, his arm just isn't as good as AM, NV or LS and that's fact.

Thing is, he jumped right in his senior year, and won the title.
Replacing a decent
P5 qb and winning the state can't be all that bad.
If only it had been a C-2 or Eight Man state title, then you'd have my attention!

From what I've seen, no one on roster throws better on the run.
Since he's very good at that, other things can be worked on.
Enter Logan Smothers. When AM leaves Smothers will be the guy as LM is fast, but not as fast as Smothers and doesn't have Smothers arm either

Enter Logan Smothers. When AM leaves Smothers will be the guy as LM is fast, but not as fast as Smothers and doesn't have Smothers arm either
While this may be true, having Luke learning and going full out at qb may surprise.
I rate both of them very similar, but the way those McCaffrey boys wear their genes,I wouldn't bet against them.

I feel like Smothers is the best of both worlds. AM is more arm, LM is more speed and wiggle, LS you get both. I like our QB room. If AMart struggles, lot's of option to try to jump-start things. I will say the LM brings is that IT factor. You can tell the kid just wants to be on the field and is a competitor. I feel like he excites people around him.

I feel like Smothers is the best of both worlds. AM is more arm, LM is more speed and wiggle, LS you get both. I like our QB room. If AMart struggles, lot's of option to try to jump-start things. I will say the LM brings is that IT factor. You can tell the kid just wants to be on the field and is a competitor. I feel like he excites people around him.
Thats what I'm hearing. He's been around football his whole life, his teammates know it too.

While this may be true, having Luke learning and going full out at qb may surprise.
I rate both of them very similar, but the way those McCaffrey boys wear their genes,I wouldn't bet against them.
I got a chance last fall to actually watch LS live when I visited a cousin of mine. This kid is lightning and has real shake and bake along with a very good arm. He has close to that same insane top gear that TM had. All I have to say about Smothers is WOW!!

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
I got a chance last fall to actually watch LS live when I visited a cousin of mine. This kid is lightning and has real shake and bake along with a very good arm. He has close to that same insane top gear that TM had. All I have to say about Smothers is WOW!!
There's our real qb battle. I still think AM gets the start, but he'd better come in like a lion.

Reactions: Wyldcard
The thing I like the best about McCaffrey other than his athleticism is how smart the kid is. You can have all the tools as a QB but decision making is what separates QBs IMO.
The thing that I like about Smother's, is he is the total package, speed, athleticism, outstanding arm as well as being extremely intelligent and has a physical and mental toughness that the other QB's in the room don't quite possess to his level. I'm glad he's Redshirting this year.

Yep, they're both quite possibly terrific qbs....it's so easy to see. AMart was a sensational freshman qb....I gotta think injuries (& hikes flying around everywhere) just derailed him a lot last year.

It's just bloody great to have that kind of talent.

that’s no joke. Having A Martinez, Luke McCaffrey and now Logan Smothers all on campus and competing. Hell we could be adding in Pete Costelli, another Top 250 QB. Great problem to have...GBR

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT