ADVERTISEMENT

Luke McCaffery

jedimasterjed

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 14, 2013
Blair, Ne
If Adrian Martinez wins the starting quarterback position is there any chance that Luke McCaffery would get 10 to 15 plays a game at quarterback.

Frost system relies on a lot of run plays from the quarterback and this could help keep Adrian healthy. I would also use luke as a receiver, this would add a big weapon on offense and keep him happy.

Reactions: anon_d3ycxo0rdg6ko
I like the idea of McCaffrey playing this year, but if he does I hope it's with the full playbook at his disposal. If he only enters the game to run QB keepers or the run/pass option play he executed against Iowa, defenses will figure that out pretty quickly.

Reactions: mebeinme0831
I think McCaffery will see the field somewhere, somehow. He’s just so athletic and being able to throw makes him a fun threat when lined up in a position that isn’t QB.

The WR position is thin and inexperienced right now. It just makes too much sense that if he isn’t the starting QB he would see snaps at WR, Duck-R, RB, etc.

If Adrian Martinez wins the starting quarterback position is there any chance that Luke McCaffery would get 10 to 15 plays a game at quarterback.

Frost system relies on a lot of run plays from the quarterback and this could help keep Adrian healthy. I would also use luke as a receiver, this would add a big weapon on offense and keep him happy.
Fullback

Reactions: GBRforLife1

IF Martinez wins the job. It would be an absolute coaching failure to not utilize Luke heavily in game plans this year. The kid is crazy talented and have heard is a leader and well respected by other players. I could see him being one of the versatile players Frost talks about and he plays WR, RB, and QB. Could run so many different formation/ trick plays with him, Martinez, and Wandale.

IF Martinez wins the job. It would be an absolute coaching failure to not utilize Luke heavily in game plans this year. The kid has natural talent and have heard is leader and well respected. I could see him being one of the versatile players Frost talks about and he plays WR, RB, and QB. Could run so many different formation/ trick plays with him, Martinez, and Wandale.
D tackle

I cannot see any scenario by which he is not heavily involved in the offense. He's shown to be elusive and can handle pressure whereas a lot of guys have flamed out. Just make sure he gets snaps too and every opportunity to take over the position unless he decides to be a receiver. He could make a great living there.

I don’t think Luke should be moved to WR. Either win the job outright in camp or be ready if Adrian’s struggles carry over.

I also hope we don’t have to rely so heavily on designed QB runs to move the ball, regardless of who’s taking snaps.

I think McCaffery will see the field somewhere, somehow. He’s just so athletic and being able to throw makes him a fun threat when lined up in a position that isn’t QB.

The WR position is thin and inexperienced right now. It just makes too much sense that if he isn’t the starting QB he would see snaps at WR, Duck-R, RB, etc.
History has shown us that with this offense the QB is likely not going to stay healthy the whole year. My hope is that IF AM gets dinged up they sit him instead of trying to win a race with a lame horse. In that case, Luke better be ready to go.

I don’t think Luke should be moved to WR. Either win the job outright in camp or be ready if Adrian’s struggles carry over.

I also hope we don’t have to rely so heavily on designed QB runs to move the ball, regardless of who’s taking snaps.
It isn't so much as being moved to WR. He's very bright. He knows the job of every WR and can execute them. You keep him up to speed at both spots. He can easily do that and is a tremendous asset in that regard. It helps your travel roster situation immensely.

You still haven't gotten my point? Ask coach Verdu.
He's a qb, Logans a qb, and AM is a qb. AM will be the starter until he isn't.
Luke needs snaps at qb,so does Logan.

Unless we become poor at wr position, they'll continue to vie for qb position.
I get you like Luke, I get you either never liked,or have lost faith in AM.
But, neither Verdu or SF has.
Until they do, the man whose responsibility it is to turn this thing around has my trust.

It isn't so much as being moved to WR. He's very bright. He knows the job of every WR and can execute them. You keep him up to speed at both spots. He can easily do that and is a tremendous asset in that regard. It helps your travel roster situation immensely.
If we are that bad at wr, the coaches have already done this. But, it isn't what they want, as you know.
They just aren't going to stop doung what they've already done until they're assured they wont need to.

I see these threads, and over exuberance gets many carried away.

History has shown us that with this offense the QB is likely not going to stay healthy the whole year. My hope is that IF AM gets dinged up they sit him instead of trying to win a race with a lame horse. In that case, Luke better be ready to go.

Oh yeah, I’m not suggesting a full time position move. Just a couple packages to get him on the field. Even if it is as a decoy.

It shouldn’t be too much extra to have 10-20 plays for him and a few where he is just a decoy to keep the defense thinking about him.

A fine point in this great discussion:
McCaffrey
giphy.gif

McCaffery
giphy.gif

If we are that bad at wr, the coaches have already done this. But, it isn't what they want, as you know.
They just aren't going to stop doung what they've already done until they're assured they wont need to.

I see these threads, and over exuberance gets many carried away.
It might not be because "we're that bad at WR". It might be because he's a great athletic talent who can change games at several spots.

I get it, I just hope it doesn’t take any practice snaps away at QB, where reps matter more than any other position in sports.

I get it, I just hope it doesn’t take any practice snaps away at QB, where reps matter more than any other position in sports.
too bad the 'starter' is out all spring due to injury and won't be getting any reps

We should be trying to use Luke like the Saints use Taysom Hill.

(assuming he’s not the starter)

Anybody know the answer to this? Guessing they’re working out on their own, maybe other stuff.

They certainly aren’t holding organized practices. The B1G outlawed it.
Just like there is no organized summer workouts, I would imagine the players conduct workouts on their own. #2 still won't be getting any reps on any informal 7 on 7 drills.
Somebody has to throw to the receivers between now and fall camp.

Just like there is no organized summer workouts, I would imagine the players conduct workouts on their own. #2 still won't be getting any reps on any informal 7 on 7 drills.
Somebody has to throw to the receivers between now and fall camp.
I think it’s going to be a lot of the jugs machine instead of 7on7.

Gatherings of >10 are a no-no, after all.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Anybody know the answer to this? Guessing they’re working out on their own, maybe other stuff.

They certainly aren’t holding organized practices. The B1G outlawed it.
UNL would have the ability to self quarantine the whole football team on campus if they chose to and were allowed to do it. Food service and things like garbage collection would be challenging but it could be done. I think the B1G would frown mightily on that and many of the players live off of campus some with wives and kids. I don't know if the weight facility is open or not and whether or not kids from out of town are allowed to stay on campus or not. Harvard made exceptions for foreign students to stay on campus in a dispersed manner and are keeping one dining hall open for them.

I agree it would be better for him to get reps and back to full health ASAP so the coaching staff can get a read on the position.
I'm not sure what there is to read on the position.. it's pretty evident to the naked eye, and of course there are those pesky win loss stats, which are a big problem the past two years.

I'm sure they could always use the CV excuse if the year doesn't go as planned.

I'm not sure what there is to read on the position.. it's pretty evident to the naked eye, and of course there are those pesky win loss stats, which are a big problem the past two years.

I'm sure they could always use the CV excuse if the year doesn't go as planned.
we know where you stand. I hope the best players play, regardless of position.

no other qb has won a game under Frost, so those stats are pesky for you, as well.

Very seldom does a quarterback survive an entire year without an injury that takes him away for at least several quarters.

It would be great to use the 2nd string quarterback (especially if the back up is completely competent and there is not a major drop off in talent) for at least one series maybe two depending on how the game dictates. This would allow:
  • The starter to understand he doesn't own the starting position and it can be taken away, creating competition and pushing everyone in practice even more.
  • When people know they are going to play they tend to be more engaged during the week & practice with a sense of urgency.
  • Different QB's bring different skill sets making the opponents spend time & resources during the week preparing for different styles. Especially now when practices are under a strict time limit. This was a big reason why Tom's offense was so effective because teams didn't see the same thing every week.
  • Lets face it some players are simply "Gamers" and they perform lights out during the game even though they may practice like crap. This is not the norm. Unless you play them you may not ever know this.
I want to see the back up play in every game for at least one series due to all these reasons. I think its just smart roster & game management.

Yes

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT