ADVERTISEMENT

LSU football has over 30 positive COVID-19 tests....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The news isn’t getting better when it comes to the virus and sports. I was hoping this fall we would be past this horrible problem. A couple of weeks ago I thought we would have college and high school sports but now I don’t think it’s going to happen. I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: Dean Pope and WHCSC
The news isn’t getting better when it comes to the virus and sports. I was hoping this fall we would be past this horrible problem. A couple of weeks ago I thought we would have college and high school sports but now I don’t think it’s going to happen. I hope I am wrong.
legion baseball is playing as we speak

well on their way to roster immunity. Those guys in "quarantine" but no mention of shutting down workouts. Winking I'm sure Bama isn't far behind. SEC SEC. SEC
30 in quarantine does not mean 30 positive COVID tests. Sounds like contact tracing identified many of them based on some major parties. Obviously this is the trickiest part for universities. They can put in all sorts of health measures but these are young kids who will do what they want off campus.

well on their way to roster immunity. Those guys in "quarantine" but no mention of shutting down workouts. Winking I'm sure Bama isn't far behind. SEC SEC. SEC

To clarify, they have 30 in quarantine. Some tested positive and some are quarantined because they were in contact with those that tested positive. Not all 30 tested positive and none have been hospitalized or are seriously ill.

Seems like the southern teams are having the most coronavirus issues. Won't be a long term problem once it runs its course through the team.

Overall though, It doesn't surprise me that any group of young people in that age group would be more infected due to the likelihood of having more unsafe social interaction exposure.

If all the players get it, extremely unlikely any of them will suffer any long term effects. It is actually beneficial overall if young, healthy people get this because it is less deadly to them than the flu (many show no symptoms) and it will build up herd immunity.

In other words, "PLAY BALL!"

We need to get as many people as possible exposed to this for the herd immunity. This is not a death sentence. Places that did not shut down are in better shape than those that did. Stop buying into the media lies and government power grabs. This is not the problem they are wanting. Every model has been shown to be a lie and a fear tactic. This can become a problem of the past if we allow it to take its course and burn itself out. This will be here forever as all the other flu and virus strains of today...

Reactions: OzzyLvr and bluenrg
We need to get as many people as possible exposed to this for the herd immunity. This is not a death sentence. Places that did not shut down are in better shape than those that did. Stop buying into the media lies and government power grabs. This is not the problem they are wanting. Every model has been shown to be a lie and a fear tactic. This can become a problem of the past if we allow it to take its course and burn itself out. This will be here forever as all the other flu and virus strains of today...

It takes ~ 70% of the population with antibodies to get some degree of herd immunity. Large scale testing of populations of even the hardest hit cite 5-8% with antibodies currently.

5-8% of exposure right now equals 100k deaths. How many deaths to reach 70% exposure?

A type coronavirus is responsible for the common cold in which the entire population experiences and no lasting herd immunity has developed.

the type of approach you describe is what Sweden attempted in which the health minister has subsequently came out and stated was a huge mistake and the UK which likewise is a disaster

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
It takes ~ 70% of the population with antibodies to get some degree of herd immunity. Large scale testing of populations of even the hardest hit cite 5-8% with antibodies currently.

5-8% of exposure right now equals 100k deaths. How many deaths to reach 70% exposure?

A type coronavirus is responsible for the common cold in which the entire population experiences and no lasting herd immunity has developed.

the type of approach you describe is what Sweden attempted in which the health minister has subsequently came out and stated was a huge mistake and the UK which likewise is a disaster
Actually we don't know for sure with this virus what level it will take for a population immunity. I'm suspicious that it's going to take a higher level of either infections or vaccination than that 70% number on a national level. That said, it's very easy to reach near 100% infection/exposure level within a given smaller population subset such as a sports team or maybe even a college campus. Even IF we reached that 70% level this isn't going away IMO and if you're in that at risk group you need to be as careful as you can while going on with life.

IF we were lucky this thing could mutate to a less virulent form while still providing protection from the current virulent form. There was a story I think out of Oxford probably 6-8 weeks ago that some people who had recently had a Corona virus cold seemed to be protected against COVID-19. I think this thing is going to be with us a long time because there's going to be way too many people who will refuse to take the vaccine. IF we can get a vaccine in to the highest risk groups that may be fine.

Actually we don't know for sure with this virus what level it will take for a population immunity. I'm suspicious that it's going to take a higher level of either infections or vaccination than that 70% number on a national level. That said, it's very easy to reach near 100% infection/exposure level within a given smaller population subset such as a sports team or maybe even a college campus. Even IF we reached that 70% level this isn't going away IMO and if you're in that at risk group you need to be as careful as you can while going on with life.

IF we were lucky this thing could mutate to a less virulent form while still providing protection from the current virulent form. There was a story I think out of Oxford probably 6-8 weeks ago that some people who had recently had a Corona virus cold seemed to be protected against COVID-19. I think this thing is going to be with us a long time because there's going to be way too many people who will refuse to take the vaccine. IF we can get a vaccine in to the highest risk groups that may be fine.

The general problem with the fact that young athletes aren't likely to die is that they won't be bubbled like you can do to pro teams. So they will circulate among folks with pre existing conditions of all ages mostly their fellow out of shape students.

Who are also young granted, but there's no liability shield right now for colleges either. Lots of schools going to have folks in campus but with all kinds of caveats and restrictions and a good many already rolling out a hybrid online model. Having students off campus in November. And it's still June... administrator can still lock down campus this fall if they feel they need to, none of what exist is in stone.

I think if college were more like the NFL and you could bubble the chances would be better even if you lose a player or two or even a premier coach like Saban to the virus.

Agree will be with us awhile. There's sort of two sides to this mountain. We've set the national mood such that if we make it until 2021 we should be ok. Hence the hyping of vaccine trials and potentially football in the spring was a huge topic and etc.

If that doesn't come to pass and this thing will be a thing for a while it's going to take Trump or Biden a minute to reset national expectations for how this is going to go. It may come with liability legislation and etc.

But I think we have to get to 2021 before that happens and people move on with life in the new covid normal. Administrator and folks in business are all hyped up in the fact we have six ish months left until an answer that you have to get there and see there's no unicorns and rainbows before they are going to want to start acting like this will be a new normal with new risk expectations.

Only problem is that there is no such thing as immunity for the Coronavirus. Possibly for a few months. Herd Immunity is a fantasy, better hope for Anti viral drug treatments as a good vaccine is 50/50 at best. I sure hope the SEC players aren't KILLing their Parents and Grandparents, odds are 1 or 2 of the players may die too.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
What we need is either an antibody preventative treatment or an effective vaccine - having both would be preferable. I think from September onward we'll really start to see progress made in this area. Takes time. Antibody treatment first followed a few months later by a vaccine.

No guarantees of course but hopefully all the worldwide effort being poured into these areas bears some fruit. The effort is unprecedented and science has come a long way.

Until the science is able to deliver, we need to follow good health practices. That doesn't mean lock down, it just means being smart and not cavalier about things (like staying out of situations where micro droplets are being expelled by large numbers of people in crowded situations and/or following preventative measures in those situations).

Herd immunity is not likely to ever happen without very severe consequences IMO (ie. a lot more deaths of vulnerable people). Yes, the virus could also mutate itself out of existance but that's a real crap shoot with not so good odds of happening.

The general problem with the fact that young athletes aren't likely to die is that they won't be bubbled like you can do to pro teams. So they will circulate among folks with pre existing conditions of all ages mostly their fellow out of shape students.

Who are also young granted, but there's no liability shield right now for colleges either. Lots of schools going to have folks in campus but with all kinds of caveats and restrictions and a good many already rolling out a hybrid online model. Having students off campus in November. And it's still June... administrator can still lock down campus this fall if they feel they need to, none of what exist is in stone.

I think if college were more like the NFL and you could bubble the chances would be better even if you lose a player or two or even a premier coach like Saban to the virus.
Do you think that they're not already doing that? I think Clemson had over 10% of their players who showed up on campus actually test positive. Not exposed, positive. Texas as well. College aged kids are already out and about exposing each other and other people and I don't blame them. You can't remove all risk for people so I'm not sure if it matters if there are 2 or 100 kids out spreading the virus. I ASSUME that everybody I meet is a potential carrier and try to treat them accordingly.

Yeah, herd immunity seems like a fantasy land anymore . With it having become much more contagious, we need more like a 90% rate at this point. And recent studies are suggesting those who do get immunity lose it after a few months anyway. So it’s more like a much more deadly version of the cold that we have to learn to live with. Antivirals and better understanding of how to effectively treat it seems like the future for it. And also, like Nikki says, it’s novel and no one has a clue about the long term impacts of the virus on the body.

Only problem is that there is no such thing as immunity for the Coronavirus. Possibly for a few months. Herd Immunity is a fantasy, better hope for Anti viral drug treatments as a good vaccine is 50/50 at best. I sure hope the SEC players aren't KILLing their Parents and Grandparents, odds are 1 or 2 of the players may die too.
You don't know that. Most people I've read including vaccine makers and the CDC expect current vaccines to produce at least a year of coverage. In animals that's the usual standard for booster recommendations to Corona viruses. With most natural infections lifelong immunity seems to be the case albeit with most domestic animals their lifespan is much shorter than ours.

Yeah, herd immunity seems like a fantasy land anymore . With it having become much more contagious, we need more like a 90% rate at this point. And recent studies are suggesting those who do get immunity lose it after a few months anyway. So it’s more like a much more deadly version of the cold that we have to learn to live with. Antivirals and better understanding of how to effectively treat it seems like the future for it. And also, like Nikki says, it’s novel and no one has a clue about the long term impacts of the virus on the body.
Losing a certain level of circulating anitibodies does NOT equal losing immunity to the virus. Immunity is much more complex than that but circulating antibodies are the only easily measured thing we have to assess immunity. You produce more circulating antibodies in an anamnestic response when either given an annual booster vaccination OR when you're exposed to live virus. Your CMI or cell mediated immune component also will kick in to fight the virus.

Do you think that they're not already doing that? I think Clemson had over 10% of their players who showed up on campus actually test positive. Not exposed, positive. Texas as well. College aged kids are already out and about exposing each other and other people and I don't blame them. You can't remove all risk for people so I'm not sure if it matters if there are 2 or 100 kids out spreading the virus. I ASSUME that everybody I meet is a potential carrier and try to treat them accordingly.

Sure but the general student population isn't on campus right now and what they do in the summer isn't the purview of administration.

I've said before the rate if burn is important. No one really batted an eye when that OSU linebacker had a reported case. Then it became a bunch of schools and the numbers keep getting bigger. They are to the point now we haven't made it two weeks into voluntary workouts and some schools are putting them on hold and some conferences are looking to ditch the early schedule.

I fairly well expect the SEC to drive forward no matter what. If this is their attempt to gain competitive advantage through antibodies it may well radically alter CFB for the rest of us whose conferences are already flinching. And maybe even for them too.

Reactions: dinglefritz
That's the second time you've mentioned the idea that this virus has become "more contagious". There is some thought that maybe a mutation that occurred in the predominant strain that came from Europe to our east coast was maybe more virulent. Personally I think the living conditions, transportation modes and lack of exposure of humans to sunlight out there was what made it worse on the urban east coast. Vitamin D deficiency is a real problem with city dwellers and this virus. I've seen nowhere that the strain is actually more contagious. Edit: I see now the article you're referencing in the LA Times. That research has not been peer reviewed yet that I can find.

Last edited:
Reactions: leodisflowers
Sure but the general student population isn't on campus right now and what they do in the summer isn't the purview of administration.

I've said before the rate if burn is important. No one really batted an eye when that OSU linebacker had a reported case. Then it became a bunch of schools and the numbers keep getting bigger. They are to the point now we haven't made it two weeks into voluntary workouts and some schools are putting them on hold and some conferences are looking to ditch the early schedule.

I fairly well expect the SEC to drive forward no matter what. If this is their attempt to gain competitive advantage through antibodies it may well radically alter CFB for the rest of us whose conferences are already flinching. And maybe even for them too.
From personal observation, I can attest that college aged kids are doing what they normally do and that doesn't involve faces masks or social distancing. IMO it doesn't matter if they're on campus or not. IMO, they should just plow forward with conditioning. That's what would be happening if they were at home. Most of them aren't going to show any symptoms even if they contract the virus. The coaches on the other hand better be careful.

From personal observation, I can attest that college aged kids are doing what they normally do and that doesn't involve faces masks or social distancing. IMO it doesn't matter if they're on campus or not. IMO, they should just plow forward with conditioning. That's what would be happening if they were at home. Most of them aren't going to show any symptoms even if they contract the virus. The coaches on the other hand better be careful.

I wasn't talking about the athletes I was talking about all the 20k other students.

Like I said if we could bubble the teams this is easy outside of some coaches.

I wasn't talking about the athletes I was talking about all the 20k other students.

Like I said if we could bubble the teams this is easy outside of some coaches.
Well the 20K other students aren't taking any precautions at home so what would matter if they were on campus. Likewise for the athletes. As I said, I think trying to test and quarantine a sports team is an exercise in non-productive futility that just delays the inevitable. I think a bubble environment is actually counter productive for a student. IF 10% of Clemson's team tested positive for the virus as they showed up on campus, what are the odds that the rest won't be exposed by September if they were at home? I haven't seen any antibody testing to assess recovered cases in college football players but I think that would be very useful data to have. I think the level of angst over them exposing themselves or others is misguided.

Well the 20K other students aren't taking any precautions at home so what would matter if they were on campus. Likewise for the athletes. As I said, I think trying to test and quarantine a sports team is an exercise in non-productive futility that just delays the inevitable. I think a bubble environment is actually counter productive for a student. IF 10% of Clemson's team tested positive for the virus as they showed up on campus, what are the odds that the rest won't be exposed by September if they were at home? I haven't seen any antibody testing to assess recovered cases in college football players but I think that would be very useful data to have. I think the level of angst over them exposing themselves or others is misguided.

I'm actually fairly confused as to why folks think that because kids do dumb things decision makers are going to abdicate responsibility and just throw caution to the wind and follow the kids lead.On any other issue we'd be telling the admin to put the hammer down lest the inmates run the asylum.

The adults should be adults because they know better. I may disagree with the risk decisions some of these guys make but I know enough about how large organization are run that no one is getting on TV and saying well kids are going to be dumb anyway so business as usual for us here at the University system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yossarian23
  1. Up to 80% of all test-positive persons remain symptom-free. Even among 70-79 year olds, about 60% remain symptom-free. Over 95% of all persons develop at most moderate symptoms.
  2. Average age of the deceased in 80+ years old.
  3. Play ball and cut the bullshit.
giphy.gif

1. Up to 80% of all test-positive persons remain symptom-free. Even among 70-79 year olds, about 60% remain symptom-free. Over 95% of all persons develop at most moderate symptoms.
I guess one way to reduce the medicare/social security deficit and burden on the young people is item 2. *

* (sarcasm intended)

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I now think it is possible that college football gets cancelled.

I know so many people don't think anything of covid.. but we don't know what happens 6, 12, 18 months down the road.. does the HIV portion of the virus destroy your immune system in the interim, only to have people start dying off en mass then?

I'm alright with some global depopulation and for sure I'll happily let the dumb dumbs go first.

Maybe if you clutch your pearls harder and just believe...

If all the players get it, extremely unlikely any of them will suffer any long term effects. It is actually beneficial overall if young, healthy people get this because it is less deadly to them than the flu (many show no symptoms) and it will build up herd immunity.

In other words, "PLAY BALL!"
You do understand that if a player tests positive, he will be quarantined for two weeks. Imagine how that will work during the season. Teams better have some exceptional depth.

I now think it is possible that college football gets cancelled.

I know so many people don't think anything of covid.. but we don't know what happens 6, 12, 18 months down the road.. does the HIV portion of the virus destroy your immune system in the interim, only to have people start dying off en mass then?

I'm alright with some global depopulation and for sure I'll happily let the dumb dumbs go first.
My mid-30s active military nephew/major caught it nearly two months ago. He is an avid long distance runner and has no chronic health problems — or rather had no chronic health problems. After two months of what he terms the sickest by far he has ever been, he is left wondering if his lungs will ever be the same. And his doctors are anything but reassuring; they simply don’t know. This is not the flu no matter how many idiots keep saying that’s all it is and death is not the only possible bad outcome.

Last edited:
You do understand that if a player tests positive, he will be quarantined for two weeks. Imagine how that will work during the season. Teams better have some exceptional depth.
It will be similar to suffering an injury. Out of practice and not able to play but he can attend meetings with the coaches via Zoom. The possibility of losing players for a couple of weeks is what made the NCAA decide to open up Fall Camp to whatever number of players the coaches want to bring in. No roster limitations for Fall Camps this year so the team could work on building depth.

My mid-30s active military nephew caught it nearly two months ago. He is a runner and has no chronic health problems — or rather had no chronic health problems. After two months of what he terms the sickest by far he has ever been, he is left wondering if his lungs will ever be the same. And his doctors are anything but reassuring; they simply don’t know. This is not the flu no matter how many idiots keep saying that’s all it is.
Affects every person differently. Although younger people are not as prone to the most serious effects vs. the elderly, they certainly are NOT immune and some younger people have had a very bad time of it. Others of course don't even know they had it. Reasons for the differences between individuals not understood at this point. Likely something to do with an individual's genetic makeup for the immune system.

I guess one way to reduce the medicare/social security deficit and burden on the young people is item 2. *

* (sarcasm intended)
One of our interns in early March was calling is the "Boomer Remover". I had to put the kibosh on that quickly.

Reactions: jflores

if true, sounds like an easy sell to have sports full on this fall - the AD and coaches just need to make their case.
as someone said one of the the lead medical consultants for the BIG is at UNMC - so Frost and Moos should have access to make the case for a full season and heck full stands

as a leader there are 2 reasons why your position does not get adopted

1. The position is incorrect or
2. You were unable to convincingly make a case for your position - ie -- ineffective leadership

if the leaders in college football want a full season with fans in the stands - make the case

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT