ADVERTISEMENT

Loudest indoor - outdoor sporting event

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
Just turned 70 and was reflecting on the loudest sporting events I ever experienced. Easy one for me …

Indoor event … Omaha Civic Auditorium … Rick Apke hit the winning bucket with 4 seconds to go for Creighton against Larry Birds Indiana State team in the 1978 MVC basketball championship game. Score was tied 52 all with 4 minutes to go. No shot clock at that time so Creighton froze it out until the last seconds as Bird was hitting everything and Creighton wanted the last shot. The roar was beyond belief.

Outdoor event … Memorial Stadium 2008 … Alex Henery hits a 57 yard field goal with 1:43 to go to help beat Colorado. sitting in the North Endzone I thought the stands were going to collapse with the sound/jumping.

Loudest Indoor sports related event: Back in 2003, before cellphones were carried with you 24/7, I went to huge NCAA final four party in backyard of a friend’s house. Kegs, booze, cigars, big screens, gambling, food, you name it. Got home at 11pm and my wife informed me I missed our 10th year wedding anniversary. I still have eardrum damage from that chewing out. My dog was never the same after that. She made Bobby Knight‘s lashings sound like kid stuff.

Loudest Outdoor: 11/9/96. MichIe Stadium, West Point, New York. Army beat Air Force 23-7 to win the Commander-in-Chief Trophy. Finished season 10-2. Pre-game helicopters, paratroopers, cannons, band and the crowd was crazy loud; All of that noise is amplified by the echos off the bluffs of the Hudson River Valley.

Just turned 70 and was reflecting on the loudest sporting events I ever experienced. Easy one for me …

Indoor event … Omaha Civic Auditorium … Rick Apke hit the winning bucket with 4 seconds to go for Creighton against Larry Birds Indiana State team in the 1978 MVC basketball championship game. Score was tied 52 all with 4 minutes to go. No shot clock at that time so Creighton froze it out until the last seconds as Bird was hitting everything and Creighton wanted the last shot. The roar was beyond belief.

Outdoor event … Memorial Stadium 2008 … Alex Henery hits a 57 yard field goal with 1:43 to go to help beat Colorado. sitting in the North Endzone I thought the stands were going to collapse with the sound/jumping.
Yep on 2008

Indoor would have to think about.

Outdoor: No thinking required. Crouch's catch was insane. The pandemonium and noise level was unreal. I can still picture the play developing and the anticipation of what was about to happen. Sheer joy.

Was at the Suh/Henery game too but I don't think it compares. My dad says some of the OU games back in the day were pretty wild.

I don't know if Miles came up with that idea but that was one hell of a marketing job for that game.
You’ll never believe this but I started that on Twitter before the end of the previous game. It started as #nobodysitssunday and expanded out from there. They did an article about some guy who claimed it, but every year around that time I have proof that I started that. The closest thing to “viral” I ever care to get

If you consider NASCAR a sporting event, the races I've attended were all super loud from both the cars and fans, but I couldn't pin down which was the loudest.

Indoor would have been a game 6 playoff game at the Forum in Inglewood, CA between Bird's Celtics and Johnson's Lakers.

Indoor would have to think about.

Outdoor: No thinking required. Crouch's catch was insane. The pandemonium and noise level was unreal. I can still picture the play developing and the anticipation of what was about to happen. Sheer joy.

Was at the Suh/Henery game too but I don't think it compares. My dad says some of the OU games back in the day were pretty wild.
Your dad is right. The 1978 OU game was louder than Crouch's catch or Henry's field goal, and it was like that the whole game, not just for single plays.
I'd forgotten about the 78 Creighton season. I went to a lot of those games as two HS mates were on the CU team. Very loud in the old Civic and a ton of fun.
One of those HS friends had to cover Bird that night. To this day he brags: "I held him to 40."

Reactions: baseball31ne
You’ll never believe this but I started that on Twitter before the end of the previous game. It started as #nobodysitssunday and expanded out from there. They did an article about some guy who claimed it, but every year around that time I have proof that I started that. The closest thing to “viral” I ever care to get
That is awesome!

I was in the east balcony for this one. Funnest game I've ever been to!! GBR!!

Reactions: Huskers123456
I was at the 2013 Nebraska Hail Mary game. I got bear hugged by at least 15 people during the celebration.
2014 Miami was the most fun of any game I ever went to. Nothing better than a Miami OL flipping the bird to us as they walked off the field.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Allen Fieldhouse (hands down)
Royals Wildcard game vs. Oakland
Arrowhead Stadium
That wild card game was nuts. I was first row in Left field. I had no idea it could get that loud. I stood on top the wall windmilling my arms when Salvy squeaked that ball down the line past Donaldson. I had no idea I was doing it!
One cool thing was Johnny Gomes (who was a Royal in 15) fielded that ball and handed it to the ball boy down the line

Reactions: regoratsginrom
I was at the 2013 Nebraska Hail Mary game. I got bear hugged by at least 15 people during the celebration.
2014 Miami was the most fun of any game I ever went to. Nothing better than a Miami OL flipping the bird to us as they walked off the field.
Oh man we were in Lincoln for that game but at the bars. Was a total riot!

Reactions: tk39
Loudest for the longest time.. 1992 Colorado game. Sitting in north end zone we were unable to hear the band play at all except for at halftime as the noise was that loud and continuous the entire game!

Reactions: leodisflowers
I was at that 1978 Nebraska Oklahoma game with my Dad. That was loud.

IIRC the temperature dropped about 20° in the hour or two before kickoff.

I sat in the north stadium I think-It was in the end zone about 40 rows up, I saw Phelps almost step out of bounds before he got clobbered. It was pretty loud when the refs gave Oklahoma the ball After that hit. I thought the refs had screwed up and thought he had stepped out of bounds. Then I couldn’t figure out why they spotted the ball where they did.

It was also pretty loud when someone hit Billy Sims on about the 7 yard line and a Nebraska player fell on it at the two. Seemed like it was right below me, Seemed the ball sat there for a minute before Nebraska player Fell on it. My dad died last fall. That game is a great memory.

Your memories got me all nostalgic too. I was at a college basketball face-off like no other. And let's talk outdoor vibes - Memorial Stadium 2008, oh boy! I was in the North Endzone too. When Alex Henery nailed that 57-yarder, I swear the stands were jumping higher than any touchdown dance. I arranged a party later, and the vibes were amazing, thanks to Los Angeles Event Production. I loved it!

Last edited:
outdoor, last Winston 400 race...handed the guy my ticket, walked in under the stands to the track, and right in-front of me a 50 car pile up..with a tire hitting the flimsy chainlink fence at 90mph 3 ft in-front of my face.

Last edited:
Reactions: Husker.Wed.
I know it's not people noise but top fuel NHRA is crazy loud. Sets car alarms off 1/4 mile away. Have to be a gear head like me to appreciate it.

Reactions: Lars72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT