ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Ed Stewart will be the next AD at Nebraska

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares? It is a derogatory term used to describe whites. I’m not offended by much of anything, especially words, but that doesn’t make the use of those words acceptable.
He didn't even get caught saying it. He could just deny ever saying it. There is zero proof that he actually said it.

Reactions: scarletred
He didn't even get caught saying it. He could just deny ever saying it. There is zero proof that he actually said it.
I can’t find any links to a story saying that he denies using the term. I can find several that say his wife says Stewart did say it. So he just has a lying racist wife I guess if you believe he didn’t say the term. Either way it goes to judgement. He would rather be thought to have used the word than call his wife a liar.

"Ed come home, every time he come home, he be like, ‘Them crackers shaking. They going crazy. They don’t know what to do. They shaking. They can’t talk to Ricky. They’re like some crackheads running around there,’ " Amy Stewart said

I see the Mrs favors using ebonics. She be all in Ed’s grill when he come home. Lawyer?

If there was recorded conversations between Bill Moos’ wife and a white athlete is jail and she said Bill was calling a racial term to describe anyone, Moos would have been fired. No doubt about it, especially in today’s social environment.

but for this guy, we are trying to use technicalities like well he didn’t say it, it was her.

A technicality?. She was paraphrasing what she said he said "he be like." You really think Moos would be fired not for what he said, but for what his wife said he said? Would you be OK with that or would you be screaming about cancel culture, etc?

You are trying awfully hard to be offended by this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: huntered
But, but, but he played here. Oh and was good. So........

Why would you hold playing here against him? I've never been a fan of just hiring some Nebraska guy, I said as much when people were talking about Davison getting the job. But, do you really think that is the only thing that makes Ed Stewart qualified? The guy is the Associate Commissioner of the Big 12 Conference.

Reactions: leodisflowers
So no one answered my question early in this thread if the term "cracker" was racist. Apparently it is, it doesn't matter if "you" aren't offended, that's not the point.

Then there is the "that was a long time ago crowd" that needs to take a look at what the press has drug up on people from way back in their past, but usually it is only on white people who they want to discredit. People of color have a get out jail free card on that one.

Working as an assistant at the B12 is not nearly the same as running a major college where you are working directly with coaches, boosters and the public at large nearly every single day. If he did negotiate some contracts, good for him, he didn't do it without an attorney or three for sure.

There have been several articles pop up lately lamenting the fact there are not people of color and more women in the athletic department. So, is that a good reason to hire someone? Just so they fit that stereotype. I know I am not politically correct but when I was in the business of hiring people, color didn't matter to me at all. I am not implying that there are motives at Nebraska to get a person of color in the AD position as I do not know. What I do know is that should not (in my opinion) even be a factor, if it is, that is same racism that some are complaining about.

It's been a frustrating ride over the years but this hire is the first time I actually like the hire. We all know his resume so no need to post it here (for myself anyways), but from a football side of things, Nebraska could not have made a stronger hire. This guy will bring a voice to the Big Ten that other administrators will listen to and respect.
Your thread title and your post offer contrary thoughts.
"Looks like Ed Stewart...." and "Nebraska coult not have made a stronger hire." Which is it? has he been hired or not? are you leaving yourself an out in case your wrong?

How is he going to bring a voice to the B1G that other admins will listen to and respect? what has he done at Mizzou or in the Big 12 that was groundbreaking or has he benchmarked a policy in the Big 12 that changed the landscape of college athletics? Just trying to figure out the logic of your statement...

Yep, just an assistant at the big 12. The idiocy among some is amazing to see.

People with experience and respect have their voices heard. Ed is highly respected and serves on several committees for college football rules and more.

But, yeah, just an assistant. SMH at the stupidity among some.

So no one answered my question early in this thread if the term "cracker" was racist. Apparently it is, it doesn't matter if "you" aren't offended, that's not the point.

Then there is the "that was a long time ago crowd" that needs to take a look at what the press has drug up on people from way back in their past, but usually it is only on white people who they want to discredit. People of color have a get out jail free card on that one.

Working as an assistant at the B12 is not nearly the same as running a major college where you are working directly with coaches, boosters and the public at large nearly every single day. If he did negotiate some contracts, good for him, he didn't do it without an attorney or three for sure.

There have been several articles pop up lately lamenting the fact there are not people of color and more women in the athletic department. So, is that a good reason to hire someone? Just so they fit that stereotype. I know I am not politically correct but when I was in the business of hiring people, color didn't matter to me at all. I am not implying that there are motives at Nebraska to get a person of color in the AD position as I do not know. What I do know is that should not (in my opinion) even be a factor, if it is, that is same racism that some are complaining about.

So what makes you think his skin color is a factor in him being a candidate, other than he isn't white? The guy is super qualified, so why imply this has anything do do with his race? And do you honestly think it is a big deal that 20 years ago his wife once said in private "Ed be like, these crackers...", that really seems to be grasping at straws.

Doing an in-depth national search for the best qualified candidate isn't the Nebraska-way. We usually rely on the good ole boy method (Osborne, Solich), somebody the fans want (Frost), somebody Tom Osborne likes (Peterson, Pelini, Erstad), somebody who used to work at the school the administrator worked at (Byrne), somebody another AD from the conference pushes for (Eichorst, Riley), or settling for somebody who just got run out of his own locker room because we are desperate (Callahan).
Give me a break. Show me a hire at any school that doesn't involve either a legacy, an acquaintance, or a recommendation from someone they trust.

Also, not hiring Frost at the time would have been viewed nationally as a complete failure. That was a national search and hire that happened to be a legacy.

A technicality?. She was paraphrasing what she said he said "he be like." You really think Moos would be fired not for what he said, but for what his wife said he said? Would you be OK with that or would you be screaming about cancel culture, etc?

You are trying awfully hard to be offended by this one. Honest question, is there anything they could do or anyone that they would hire that you would actually approve of?
When someone says so-and-so be like and then use the words that they said, they are quoting what the person said. In this case the terms be like and said are synonymous.

Is Ed Stewart the best person for this job? Or is he the best minority candidate with ties to Nebraska? Is this simply a way to make a “woke” statement by hiring a minority. Since the school has never had a minority athletics director, head football coach or head basketball coach and I believe every current senior administrator is a white male except the one white woman that is basically required as Senior Woman Administrator.

it doesn’t seem strange that Moos was forced to retire and not get 6 months to wrap things up and the only replacement candidate talked about is a minority former football player?

When someone says so-and-so be like and then use the words that they said, they are quoting what the person said. In this case the terms be like and said are synonymous.

Is Ed Stewart the best person for this job? Or is he the best minority candidate with ties to Nebraska? Is this simply a way to make a “woke” statement by hiring a minority. Since the school has never had a minority athletics director, head football coach or head basketball coach and I believe every current senior administrator is a white male except the one white woman that is basically required as Senior Woman Administrator.

it doesn’t seem strange that Moos was forced to retire and not get 6 months to wrap things up and the only replacement candidate talked about is a minority former football player?
Jeez Louise, are you trying to make a argument like a lawyer.Laughing

Lots of assumptions in this thread. He isn’t qualified… he’s overqualified… he’s a racist… he’s the best candidate… he’s a woke hire… we need to go outside the family… What are we missing? Want to make sure we get all the bases covered.

This thread is ridiculous. I know it’s a message board and full of opinions, but this crap gets old.

Jeez Louise, are you trying to make a argument like a lawyer.Laughing
Nope, just trying to understand when racist comments are allowed or to be dismissed as nothing and when they are to evoke outrage.

If Stewart is hired, is he simply the best candidate out there for Nebraska? If Nebraska ties is a requirement for the job, is there no one else in college athletic administration with more experience running an actual athletic department than Ed Stewart. Maybe not.

Nope, just trying to understand when racist comments are allowed or to be dismissed as nothing and when they are to evoke outrage.

If Stewart is hired, is he simply the best candidate out there for Nebraska? If Nebraska ties is a requirement for the job, is there no one else in college athletic administration with more experience running an actual athletic department than Ed Stewart. Maybe not.
Ed has some operations and business experience with Big 12 but i would prefer someone who has already hired some winners. For a Blue Blood major program with a big ass budget, Nebraska should hire only solid proven candidate.

Reactions: Agegoneby
Lots of assumptions in this thread. He isn’t qualified… he’s overqualified… he’s a racist… he’s the best candidate… he’s a woke hire… we need to go outside the family… What are we missing? Want to make sure we get all the bases covered.

This thread is ridiculous. I know it’s a message board and full of opinions, but this crap gets old.

Reality = he is highly qualified for the job. He is the guy in charge of football for the Big 12 and for some dumb reason some people think that is an assistant job.

All of the other stuff about 7 years of experience in an athletic department, committees, etc, etc, etc, are benefits.

This hire has nothing to do with moving to the Big 12. Has nothing to do with having black skin. Has nothing to do with Moos doing anything illegal.

Moos told his bosses he will retire soon, bosses went out and started talking to people for his replacement, and now they have their guy and Moos was told to retire. It happens in professional sports and the business world.

Reality = he is highly qualified for the job. He is the guy in charge of football for the Big 12 and for some dumb reason some people think that is an assistant job.

All of the other stuff about 7 years of experience in an athletic department, committees, etc, etc, etc, are benefits.

This hire has nothing to do with moving to the Big 12. Has nothing to do with having black skin. Has nothing to do with Moos doing anything illegal.

Moos told his bosses he will retire soon, bosses went out and started talking to people for his replacement, and now they have their guy and Moos was told to retire. It happens in professional sports and the business world.
What coaches has he hired? Any winners?

Seems you have already decided when to be outraged, or faux outraged.

Reactions: jlgformk

What's your obsession with his skin color? Why can't he be the best candidate for the job and also happen to be black? Why, in your world, does hiring a black man automatically mean someone is trying to be "woke"? It's not like when we hired John Parrella as DL Coach or Matt Davison as Associated AD, just because they were former Huskers, this guy is actually qualified and just happens to be a former Husker and just happens to be black. That is OK, right?

Last edited:

You keep saying he is "hired"...what is your source for this?

It's been a frustrating ride over the years but this hire is the first time I actually like the hire. We all know his resume so no need to post it here (for myself anyways), but from a football side of things, Nebraska could not have made a stronger hire. This guy will bring a voice to the Big Ten that other administrators will listen to and respect.
I wonder if this hire signals a potential attempt to move back to the B12. I know there are folks here that crap all over the B12(mostly Texas), but success in the B10 just hasn’t been there and it appears the B10 could care less about Neb…..interesting hire.

What's your obsession with his skin color? Why can't he be the best candidate for the job and also happen to be black? Why, in your world, does hiring a black man automatically mean someone is trying to be "woke"? It's not like when we hired John Parrella as aDL Coach or Matt Davison as Associated AD, just because they were former Huskers, this guy is actually qualified and just happens to be a former Husker and just happens to be black. That is OK, right?
His points are valid. When Parrella and Davison were hired, the wokeness disease wasn't prevelant. Eveyone needs to be susceptible, in the name of equity.

What's your obsession with his skin color? Why can't he be the best candidate for the job and also happen to be black? Why, in your world, does hiring a black man automatically mean someone is trying to be "woke"? It's not like when we hired John Parrella as aDL Coach or Matt Davison as Associated AD, just because they were former Huskers, this guy is actually qualified and just happens to be a former Husker and just happens to be black. That is OK, right?
Why are you so convinced that his skin color isn't the reason he is being considered. The current President of the United States, chose his running mate because she was a woman and a woman of color. He stated it publically. Why wouldn't someone believe that a university with no history of hiring minorities in positions of power would not use this opportunity to force out the old white guy and hire a younger minority candidate?

Why are you so convinced that his skin color isn't the reason he is being considered. The current President of the United States, chose his running mate because she was a woman and a woman of color. He stated it publically. Why wouldn't someone believe that a university with no history of hiring minorities in positions of power would not use this opportunity to force out the old white guy and hire a younger minority candidate?

So despite the fact he is completely qualified, with decades of good experience, you are going to chose to believe he is only being considered because he is black? There is really no evidence of this, or valid reason to think it, but a politician chose his running mate this way, so there is that.

His points are valid. When Parrella and Davison were hired, the wokeness disease wasn't prevelant. Eveyone needs to be susceptible, in the name of equity.

What points? Do you think we should not hire a black man in the name of avoiding this wokeness disease you speak of? Would this disease have kept us from hiring an unqualified guy like Matt Davison?

Like you said in an earlier post, we need to do an exhaustive national search and hire the best candidate. I am confident, Ed Stewart would emerge as a finalist in that scenario. But I do hope that the desire not to be too "woke" won't keep us from hiring what could be the best candidate.

Last edited:
So despite the fact he is completely qualified, with decades of good experience, you are going to chose to believe he is only being considered because he is black? There is really no evidence of this, or valid reason to think it, but a politician chose his running mate this way, so there is that.
Nebraska hired Eichhorst and Moos in the past 10 years and this guy was barely brought up as a candidate and, to the best of my knowledge, didn’t earn an interview. Now, with no new experience, he is considered by many to be the top candidate and it has nothing to do with race.

Give me a break. Show me a hire at any school that doesn't involve either a legacy, an acquaintance, or a recommendation from someone they trust.

Also, not hiring Frost at the time would have been viewed nationally as a complete failure. That was a national search and hire that happened to be a legacy.
I stand corrected. Nebraska has done such an outstanding job hiring athletic directors and head football coaches since 1993 their model should be emulated by all other schools.

Give ME a break.

What points? Do you think we should not hire a black man in the name of avoiding this wokeness disease you speak of? Would this disease have kept us from hiring an unqualified guy like Matt Davison?

Like you said in an earlier post, we need to do an exhaustive national search and hire the best candidate. I am confident, Ed Stewart would emerge as a finalist in that scenario. But I do hope that the desire not to be too "woke" won't keep us from hiring what could be the best candidate.
No - i think we need to hire the best candidate, and in the spirit of this county's attempt to ruin itself, prevent anyone from getting the job who in any way has a questionable comment from their past.

Ed is not qualified IMO, he is a total experimental AD hire. He has never ran an AD before and has never hired any coaches.

Last edited:
Ed is not qualified IMO, he is a total experimental AD hire. He has never rand an AD before and has never hired any coaches.

I guess we will have to disagree. Ed currently has a much bigger job and is extremely qualified. But honestly, that is the conversation, not the other nonsense.

No - i think we need to hire the best candidate, and in the spirit of this county's attempt to ruin itself, prevent anyone from getting the job who in any way has a questionable comment from their past.

Anyone who has a questionable comment from their past? We are hiring an AD here and you are worried about something his wife said in a private phone conversation 20 years ago? How is hiring an AD a political issue to you?

Anyone who has a questionable comment from their past? We are hiring an AD here and you are worried about something his wife said in a private phone conversation 20 years ago? How is hiring an AD a political issue to you?
You're holding on too tight. I was being sarcastic for the purpose of making the point of the ridiculousness of the social justice groupies in this country. Tuco's point, as far as I can tell, is that he needs to be scrutinized in the hiring process just like anyone else would be. Hopefully that is happening. If you don't think there are politics in just about every aspect of corporate life, including hiring an AD, then I don't know what to tell you. It's everywhere, unfortunately and to the great harm of our society.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT