ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Ed Stewart will be the next AD at Nebraska

Status
Not open for further replies.

antirowboat

Junior
Jan 30, 2021

It's been a frustrating ride over the years but this hire is the first time I actually like the hire. We all know his resume so no need to post it here (for myself anyways), but from a football side of things, Nebraska could not have made a stronger hire. This guy will bring a voice to the Big Ten that other administrators will listen to and respect.

He would be a very fine choice. Never a head AD at a major university but plenty of good experience operating at the Big 12 headquarters. I believe he is 49 so he has many good years left. He has a Nebraska football background and leadership qualities. Plus having a minority person in a major position at the state’s major institution is a good thing for Nebraska.

He would be a very fine choice. Never a head AD at a major university but plenty of good experience operating at the Big 12 headquarters. I believe he is 49 so he has many good years left. He has a Nebraska football background and leadership qualities. Plus having a minority person in a major position at the state’s major institution is a good thing for Nebraska.
Agreed and yes, he is 49. Hope it is announced soon.

Y41Zz7.gif

Agreed and yes, he is 49. Hope it is announced soon.
Is there a reason why they need to hurry for a announcement?

The physical calendar year is over on June 30th I would hope they would interview as many qualified candidates in the mean time and not rush it..

Is there a reason why they need to hurry for a announcement?

The physical calendar year is over on June 30th I would hope they would interview as many qualified candidates in the mean time and not rush it..
Doing an in-depth national search for the best qualified candidate isn't the Nebraska-way. We usually rely on the good ole boy method (Osborne, Solich), somebody the fans want (Frost), somebody Tom Osborne likes (Peterson, Pelini, Erstad), somebody who used to work at the school the administrator worked at (Byrne), somebody another AD from the conference pushes for (Eichorst, Riley), or settling for somebody who just got run out of his own locker room because we are desperate (Callahan).

One of the beautiful things about this hire is that he doesn't need to make any big changes to any of the head coaches right away so he has time before having to make any decisions in that area.

Moos did do a good job of hiring the folks that were wanted to be hired and for baseball that has already paid off, basketball just makes a single NCAA tournament and that will have paid off, and Frost just needs to turn the close losses into wins.

People say "go outside." The "go outside" is what led to all of this stuff. Now that things are going back "in-house" there will be more stability now that the new AD is young enough to be around for two decades or longer if all goes well.

whats the guy like? is he a liberal, conservative, activist? will he be a guy that tries to separate athletics from politics? how will he see his roll in the football team and coaches?

Reactions: baseball31ne
whats the guy like? is he a liberal, conservative, activist? will he be a guy that tries to separate athletics from politics? how will he see his roll in the football team and coaches?
These are just some of my questions and more.

All the positives I have heard are he is a former football player from Nebraska and has been an administrator in the B12. Then some throw in that he is a minority which I find offensive, but that's just me.

These are just some of my questions and more.

All the positives I have heard are he is a former football player from Nebraska and has been an administrator in the B12. Then some throw in that he is a minority which I find offensive, but that's just me.
It’s the world we live in….

Reactions: TheNewNU
Agree with everything you said. Unfortunately the last sentence although true and will please the woke people, shouldn't even matter. IF he's the best then he's the best.

From what I've read about him he's had plenty of negotiations opportunities and was one of the main big12 tv contract negotiators.

He would be the right age to give us 15 years

He called white people "crackers" when he worked at Mizzou, so draw your own conclusions from there

You mean his wife said it once in a secretly recorded conversation? While it’s true that no one should use that term, saying Ed Stewart “called white people crackers”, is a bit of a stretch. Also not sure what this tells us about his politics or why that should matter.

It's been a frustrating ride over the years but this hire is the first time I actually like the hire. We all know his resume so no need to post it here (for myself anyways), but from a football side of things, Nebraska could not have made a stronger hire. This guy will bring a voice to the Big Ten that other administrators will listen to and respect.
I feel totally opposite of you in this matter. No experience as an athletic director. But hey, he did play for Nebraska so lets hire him. How has that been working out so far?

Reactions: Agegoneby
I feel totally opposite of you in this matter. No experience as an athletic director. But hey, he did play for Nebraska so lets hire him. How has that been working out so far?

Maybe you should take time to read up on his resume. I'll help you out with some starting points:

15 years of experience doing:

- bowl game negotiations
- tv contracts
- overseeing Big 12 football operations
- supervises conference drug testing

And that is just the starting point.

If anything, he is overqualified for the job and that is what makes this such a damn good hire.

There isn't a single AD out there in the country that has the type of conference-level experience that Ed has.

Maybe you should take time to read up on his resume. I'll help you out with some starting points:

- bowl game negotiations
- tv contracts

If anything, he is overqualified for the job and that is what makes this such a damn good hire.

There isn't a single AD out there in the country that has the type of conference-level experience that Ed has.
and what coaches has he hired?

- bowl game negotiations
- tv contracts

So he's the one who let OU and TX get by with drugs?

You act like he didn't hire anyone while working for the Big 12 for a decade and a half. Hiring coaches isn't that hard. Every year a first-time AD will hire people in sports they never played in and pan out just fine.

He doesn't need to make any new hires at Nebraska in any of the major sports for several years.

And AD's don't do the actual Google search for names, stats, setting meetings, etc. Other people do that. What AD's will do is talk to others in the industry about certain candidates.

I think you are both right to a degree. Ed currently has a big job, with a ton of responsibility. The kind of job a lot of siting P5 AD’s would jump at. However, you are right he isn’t hiring coaches. But here’s the thing, hiring coaches isn’t that difficult. I know, as a Nebraska fans, it seems like a magic trick, but it’s not.

You hire a search firm to find out who is actually interested in the job for what it pays. You work your contacts to learn about those people as coaches and people. Then you interview the top few and ask those important, Nebraska specific questions like: how will you recruit nationally, develop players, brand of football for a Midwest team, etc. The thing is Nebraska hasn’t actually went through a process like that, when hiring a football coach, since maybe Devaney.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
You just said the magic word. I personally don't believe he had the resume to land the Nebraska job. This was at best a hire made because of his past history with NU. Can't be any worse than Stevie P can he?

Why do you care about his politics?
Because of the actions/inactions of the Big 10 commissioner which followed his political thinking and how it impacted the conference this year and likely going forward

edit: knowing how a person in leadership makes decisions and the core values they have and rely on for tough situations matter. Sometimes it’s as simple as seeing who you want to be your representative makes it clear what you think.

You mean his wife said it once in a secretly recorded conversation? While it’s true that no one should use that term, saying Ed Stewart “called white people crackers”, is a bit of a stretch. Also not sure what this tells us about his politics or why that should matter.

His wife said that Ed called them crackers:

"Ed come home, every time he come home, he be like, ‘Them crackers shaking. They going crazy. They don’t know what to do. They shaking. They can’t talk to Ricky. They’re like some crackheads running around there,’ " Amy Stewart said.

https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1038147/posts

But the crackers comment is probably the least controversial part of the fiasco with Ricky Clemons. Ed's wife was secretly conspiring with the wife of the University President and an incarcerated student-athlete, to encourage him to take down the coaches and athletic director that her husband worked for. That is pretty messed up.

Ed hasn't worked directly with student-athletes ever since that scandal....hopefully he's got his wife on a tight leash now 😆. The last thing this athletic department needs is more drama. Can you imagine her secretly calling some of our players to try to take down Coach Frost or Coach Hoiberg?

Last edited:
His wife said that Ed called them crackers:

"Ed come home, every time he come home, he be like, ‘Them crackers shaking. They going crazy. They don’t know what to do. They shaking. They can’t talk to Ricky. They’re like some crackheads running around there,’ " Amy Stewart said.

https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1038147/posts

But the crackers comment is probably the least controversial part of the fiasco with Ricky Clemons. Ed's wife was secretly conspiring with the wife of the University President and an incarcerated student-athlete, to encourage him to take down the coaches and athletic director that her husband worked for. That is pretty messed up.

Ed hasn't worked directly with student-athletes ever since that scandal....hopefully he's got his wife on a tight leash now 😆. The last thing this athletic department needs is more drama. Can you imagine her secretly calling some of our players to try to take down Coach Frost or Coach Hoiberg?
Shes a lawyer, does that surprise you?

Reactions: baseball31ne
She was repeating to Clemons what Ed Stewart allegedly said to her.

In the recordings, Amy Stewart related a story, which she attributed to her husband, about the atmosphere at the Hearnes Center at the time.

She was repeating to Clemons what Ed Stewart allegedly said to her.

In the recordings, Amy Stewart related a story, which she attributed to her husband, about the atmosphere at the Hearnes Center at the time.

I'm not offended by the word "Cracker".

Reactions: Jhollenbeck41

- bowl game negotiations
- tv contracts

If there was recorded conversations between Bill Moos’ wife and a white athlete is jail and she said Bill was calling a racial term to describe anyone, Moos would have been fired. No doubt about it, especially in today’s social environment.

but for this guy, we are trying to use technicalities like well he didn’t say it, it was her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT