ADVERTISEMENT

Looking forward to spring football...

A 3rd rounder doesn't go to Nebraska, they go get paid millions in the NFL and prove doubters wrong there.

That's one way of doing it. You can also try to improve your position from 3rd round to 2nd round which could result in a 50% increase in pay. Both decisions have their merits.

Spring Football has never told me anything. Just an exhibition game. Same with Fall camp and the talk that comes out of it. I want to see how we play in Game 1. If the Offense is inept again and we lose against Illinois, it will be a long season.

I used to be very optimistic and definitely want Frost to succeed but The Offense really needs to turn a corner and start getting more TDs this year (especially when we’re in the red zone). No more excuses, blaming previous staff, whatever. If we don’t at least get to a Bowl game, Frost will be on the clock.

I agree from a team outlook perspective it's not a good indicator,
but I find great value in it because you can scout the new/redshirt players. Not all of these players will be successful but it sure does narrow down the field. For instance I remember Shanle making a TON of tackles as a redshirt in a spring game. That was the first time his name came up. He turned about pretty good.

Here's the latest example for me, I thought Casey Rogers showed very well during a spring game. His play got him on my radar as one to watch. Turns out that has translated to real games. He's looking like a good player.

A 3rd rounder doesn't go to Nebraska, they go get paid millions in the NFL and prove doubters wrong there.
A 3rd round or low 2nd pick may get a contract around 800K. The first pick in the 2nd round gets a contract normally over 8 million with a huge signing bonus. There is PLENTY of incentive to gamble on your talent and stay in college for a year. There's a glut of WR talent coming out this year in the NFL draft. I think he's been told he'll be better off waiting a year and putting more on video against NFL caliber DBs.

I agree from a team outlook perspective it's not a good indicator,
but I find great value in it because you can scout the new/redshirt players. Not all of these players will be successful but it sure does narrow down the field. For instance I remember Shanle making a TON of tackles as a redshirt in a spring game. That was the first time his name came up. He turned about pretty good.

Here's the latest example for me, I thought Casey Rogers showed very well during a spring game. His play got him on my radar as one to watch. Turns out that has translated to real games. He's looking like a good player.
It gives you at least a taste of whether some dudes have raw ability. You could learn things like:

Is a dude particularly fast?
Can a QB make a collection of accurate throws?
Is a particular RB difficult to tackle?
Does a redshirt freshman look physically ready to play big boy football?

I wanna see Stepp run and Smothers throw. Beyond that you need not just a grain but a truckload of salt because some of these reps are done against guys who won't see the field even for our bad football team, so it gives you zero indication of how they'd perform against a team like OU or Ohio State.

Last edited:
I don't know if I've ever put somebody on the ignore list for having posts that were technically football related but just painfully stupid, but ST

Wow that's harsh. So where am I being stupid? I actually agree with most of what you posted. I guess I will take a vacation from this board.

It gives you at least a taste of whether some dudes have raw ability. You could learn things like:

Is a dude particularly fast?
Can a QB make a collection of accurate throws?
Is a particular RB difficult to tackle?
Does a redshirt freshman look physically ready to play big boy football?

I agree. That's my point.

I wanna see Stepp run and Smothers throw. That's the main point!
And I get to see it against college players so I can get some sort of reading on them.

Beyond that you need not just a grain but a truckload of salt because some of these reps are done against guys who won't see the field even for our bad football team, so it gives you zero indication of how they'd perform against a team like OU or Ohio State.

I agree again. True. Must point out I never said anything about OU or OSU. It's a good point about what string they are playing against and they can look better if they are playing against guys that they have repped over and over with. You will have your Brian Knuckles and other players that have done well in spring games but never showed up in fall.

lol sorry that must be a fragment that HOL saved from when I was about to post that about ignoring stucknuts or whatever his name is but then I didn't post it. Unrelated to your post

Reactions: Reditus
That's a relief. Don't want to annoy everybody. (However it is one of my few talents.)

I run into the same issues myself with left over fragments from uncompleted postings that I come back too.

I always enjoy spring football and getting to see future talent show on the field. Lets see some names of new& backup players that you think will step up and make an impression at each position group or that you want to see. State that reason.

Here are mine....

On the DLine - Newsome. There has been some chatter about him from reporters behind the scenes.
At OLB I want to see Javon Wright. I like converting tall DB's to field LB's. Keep speed on the field. Hope he is a destroyer like his Dad, I was a big Toby Wright fan back in the day.
At ILB - I want to see how well Kolarevik's production translates to this level.
At CB I want to see how Clark does coming off of injury.
At Safety I want to see how Noa does. Would like to see how his speed helps us in the secondary.

At Qb - Want to see what Smothers is all about. He will see the field this fall whether it be because of injury or to finish a game.
At RB - I want to see what Morrison can do. Big AND fast, I'm hoping he's a difference maker and stands out.
AT OL - Who fills that open spot? I was thinking Nouili for a long time but having reviewed some game film recently, my impressions are that he is pretty good at blocking down and in pass pro, not as good at moving people off the line so I am changing my mind and want to see if Banks can play guard. I miss the old days where we changed the LOS. Don't even know if we use drive blocking anymore, but still will go with Banks. They like his size.
At TE - Want to see what Fidone's talent looks like among college players.
At Wr - Tough choice between Toure and Manning for me. Manning is reported to have physical talent that stands out, but having him not play last fall was like a present under a Christmas tree that you can't open. Torture. I guess I will go with Toure in a close one at this time. I want to see what an FCS all american can do at this level. I bet he looks good. He has known production and is reported to be an NFL draft prospect.
The present still calls but for all I know it might end up being socks.

Good post. I'm looking forward as well. Love they guys you chose. Especially in the secondary and at OLB. Hell entire defense tbh.

Offensively I still wanna see Manning ,Stepp,and Morrison. Wanna see Nixon and if Brown takes a step at WR. Also Smothers.

Holla

I think you raise a solid question about Toure and Manning is a good choice. One thing I have heard on the radio is that Toure was hearing he would be a 3rd rounder because he's played for an FCS school. So he wanted to play at a P5 to improve his draft stock.

Good pick with Nadab, sounds like a great kid and I think he's got really good talent.

I absolutely don't believe that about Toure. Of course I could be wrong. Imo if he got a third round grade he would be gone.

Holla

Begins and ends with the OL, IMO. We saw in the Super Bowl, even the best QB ain't enough if he's running for his life two seconds after the snap. Doesn't matter who our RB is if he can't get to the line of scrimmage without contact or having to dodge someone. On the other hand, you can compete with a serviceable QB and RB if your line can get them a little space to work. Likely can't win a championship that way, but I think we need to start with competing and go from there.

I absolutely don't believe that about Toure. Of course I could be wrong. Imo if he got a third round grade he would be gone.

Holla

I have no idea, I just heard it on the radio. I think each scenario is reasonable.

Begins and ends with the OL, IMO. We saw in the Super Bowl, even the best QB ain't enough if he's running for his life two seconds after the snap. Doesn't matter who our RB is if he can't get to the line of scrimmage without contact or having to dodge someone. On the other hand, you can compete with a serviceable QB and RB if your line can get them a little space to work. Likely can't win a championship that way, but I think we need to start with competing and go from there.

Agree. I want to see what Ezra Miller can do. I want to see where Fritzsche is at. I want to see who the back up centers are. Is it Hixon? Sichterman? Does Piper do some snaps? I usually watch the spring game a couple of times because there is so much too watch at the OL spot.

Reactions: WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT