ADVERTISEMENT

Looking forward to spring football...

Reditus

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 20, 2019
I always enjoy spring football and getting to see future talent show on the field. Lets see some names of new& backup players that you think will step up and make an impression at each position group or that you want to see. State that reason.

Here are mine....

On the DLine - Newsome. There has been some chatter about him from reporters behind the scenes.
At OLB I want to see Javon Wright. I like converting tall DB's to field LB's. Keep speed on the field. Hope he is a destroyer like his Dad, I was a big Toby Wright fan back in the day.
At ILB - I want to see how well Kolarevik's production translates to this level.
At CB I want to see how Clark does coming off of injury.
At Safety I want to see how Noa does. Would like to see how his speed helps us in the secondary.

At Qb - Want to see what Smothers is all about. He will see the field this fall whether it be because of injury or to finish a game.
At RB - I want to see what Morrison can do. Big AND fast, I'm hoping he's a difference maker and stands out.
AT OL - Who fills that open spot? I was thinking Nouili for a long time but having reviewed some game film recently, my impressions are that he is pretty good at blocking down and in pass pro, not as good at moving people off the line so I am changing my mind and want to see if Banks can play guard. I miss the old days where we changed the LOS. Don't even know if we use drive blocking anymore, but still will go with Banks. They like his size.
At TE - Want to see what Fidone's talent looks like among college players.
At Wr - Tough choice between Toure and Manning for me. Manning is reported to have physical talent that stands out, but having him not play last fall was like a present under a Christmas tree that you can't open. Torture. I guess I will go with Toure in a close one at this time. I want to see what an FCS all american can do at this level. I bet he looks good. He has known production and is reported to be an NFL draft prospect.
The present still calls but for all I know it might end up being socks.

For me...it starts and stops with the play we get from the person who lines up behind center. Sounds overly simplistic, but if that position doesn't show huge improvement I'm going to find it really difficult to care about safety or LB or (insert any other group here) play. In fact I won't even bother to arrange my Saturdays around watching us play if it doesn't improve.

Also....can I include HCSF ay calling as a position group? Cause that would be #2 for me

I always enjoy spring football and getting to see future talent show on the field. Lets see some names of new& backup players that you think will step up and make an impression at each position group or that you want to see. State that reason.

Here are mine....

On the DLine - Newsome. There has been some chatter about him from reporters behind the scenes.
At OLB I want to see Javon Wright. I like converting tall DB's to field LB's. Keep speed on the field. Hope he is a destroyer like his Dad, I was a big Toby Wright fan back in the day.
At ILB - I want to see how well Kolarevik's production translates to this level.
At Safety I want to see how Noa does. Would like to see how his speed helps us in the secondary.

At Qb - Want to see what Smothers is all about. He will see the field this fall whether it be because of injury or to finish a game.
At RB - I want to see what Morrison can do. Big AND fast, I'm hoping he's a difference maker and stands out.
AT OL - Who fills that open spot? I was thinking Nouili for a long time but having reviewed some game film recently, my impressions are that he is pretty good at blocking down and in pass pro, not as good at moving people off the line so I am changing my mind and want to see if Banks can play guard. I miss the old days where we changed the LOS. Don't even know if we use drive blocking anymore, but still will go with Banks. They like his size.
At Wr - Tough choice between Toure and Manning for me. Manning is reported to have physical talent that stands out, but having him not play last fall was like a present under a Christmas tree that you can't open. Torture. I guess I will go with Toure in a close one at this time. I want to see what an FCS all american can do at this level. I bet he looks good. He has known production and is reported to be an NFL draft prospect.
QB. All about QB. We finally get to see Smothers in action and to see what Haarberg looks like against D-1 players.

Here are mine....

Now that you've communicated your excitement for spring football, stucknks won't have anything to start yet another thread about.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I don't know what kind of results they'll get player-wise from having Foreman and Peter around but here's why I like it:

Frost knows those guys will tell him what he needs to hear, not what he wants to hear. He basically brought in the dudes who straight up hazed and bullied him to tell him what he isn't doing well enough. I'm more interested in the impact on how Scott Frost runs his program than I am whether some kid feels like he has to do two more reps or put 10 more pounds on the bar because Jason Peter is watching.

It's one thing to have disappointing results. It's another thing to have that and be too proud to bring in people who will criticize you and tell you what you need to change.

He's bringing in guys who know football and will speak their minds...we'll see if it translates to anything.

As far as the Spring Game itself, I wanna see Smothers and I wanna see the RBs.

I want to see the new offensive skill players. Manning and Toure at WR and Morrison at RB. As for the OL and QB, I don't think I'll believe anything I see until it's on the field in the fall against competition.

I want to see the new offensive skill players. Manning and Toure at WR and Morrison at RB. As for the OL and QB, I don't think I'll believe anything I see until it's on the field in the fall against competition.
This pretty much sums it all up. We'll hear how good Martinez looks and the guys behind him are ahead of schedule too but that's all window dressing that needs to proven before anyone should believe it at this point.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I want to see fans in the stands
By the time the spring game rolls around there will be absolutely ZERO reason to keep fans out of the stadium. Even without vaccination of people under the age of 65 yet the case numbers have dropped off of a cliff. Time to open things up completely. At some point we have to return to being adults who can make informed decisions about our own health.

By the time the spring game rolls around there will be absolutely ZERO reason to keep fans out of the stadium. Even without vaccination of people under the age of 65 yet the case numbers have dropped off of a cliff. Time to open things up completely. At some point we have to return to being adults who can make informed decisions about our own health.
there will be no scientific reason, I completely agree.

but, this is the B1G. science isn't even close to a mitigating factor in the blanket decisions made by conference/university leadership.

Can Kathy Warren keep fans from attending?

1. The 2nd OLB spot opposite JoJo. Hoping to see something from Javin Wright, Jimari Butler, or Blaise Gunnerson.

2. WR's... All of them. We need a lot of guys to step up. Excited to see how Betts progresses, how Toure looks and if Omar Manning becomes a guy.

3. RB's: Markese Stepp, Sevion Morrison

Feel like we are pretty set at DL and DB. Would love to see it click for Nadab Joseph and him to take the open CB spot.

Will also be curious to see how the roster management happens.

From my count there are about 9 guys (2 WR's, 2OL, 2DL, 2 OLB, 1 TE) that likely won't see the field in a meaningful capacity. The numbers are a mess with the extra year now, and it may make it difficult for guys to find a landing spot. "Trimming the fat" may be tough. Will be interested to see how they handle it.

Reactions: Reditus
I don't know what kind of results they'll get player-wise from having Foreman and Peter around but here's why I like it:

Frost knows those guys will tell him what he needs to hear, not what he wants to hear. He basically brought in the dudes who straight up hazed and bullied him to tell him what he isn't doing well enough. I'm more interested in the impact on how Scott Frost runs his program than I am whether some kid feels like he has to do two more reps or put 10 more pounds on the bar because Jason Peter is watching.

It's one thing to have disappointing results. It's another thing to have that and be too proud to bring in people who will criticize you and tell you what you need to change.

He's bringing in guys who know football and will speak their minds...we'll see if it translates to anything.

Great Post

Reactions: TheBeav815
I'm afraid "social distancing" and mask wearing may become the new norm....makes people feel good. A new norm like kids wearing helmets when riding bikes. Or teenage girls wearing super-short, lacquered on Spandex shorts. Or men walking around with no hats. In 1955 the helmets, shorts and no hats would be unthinkable, but here we are.

I'm afraid "social distancing" and mask wearing may become the new norm....makes people feel good. A new norm like kids wearing helmets when riding bikes. Or teenage girls wearing super-short, lacquered on Spandex shorts. Or men walking around with no hats. In 1955 the helmets, shorts and no hats would be unthinkable, but here we are.
No hats? When did I miss this? I see men wearing hats all the time.

• Haha
Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Will also be curious to see how the roster management happens.

From my count there are about 9 guys (2 WR's, 2OL, 2DL, 2 OLB, 1 TE) that likely won't see the field in a meaningful capacity. The numbers are a mess with the extra year now, and it may make it difficult for guys to find a landing spot. "Trimming the fat" may be tough. Will be interested to see how they handle it.

I second that! That extra year makes it tough for roster management. It's tough to know how many junior standing players are going to move on next year. They probably need to have some 1&1's prior to this summer and ask the players outright if they are planning to return for that extra year. They need an idea for recruiting numbers. Players would have the right to change their minds no problem but it would be helpful if they gave the coaches an idea. Even if they don't know they should give the coaches their best guess or tell them where they are leaning.

Reactions: HuskerMania257460
OK Boomer

In the 1950’s Head football coaches wore hats on the sidelines and fans wore hats in the stands.. That was the norm back in the day...

Reactions: Red I 73
It's all about the offense progressing without experience at skill positions. This is the scariest part...

We are banking that a transfer RB and transfer WR can be the best at each position.

Reactions: HominidHusker

Here are mine....

I'm still a bit skeptical on Toure, if he is legit NFL prospect, he would be in the draft right now not at Nebraska. So for me at WR is Manning.

I agree mostly with all your others especially Banks, but at CB I'm want to see Nadab. OLB really want to see how much better Blaise, Jimari, Payne will be than Nelson (not motor but in speed and explosion).

Last edited:
This pretty much sums it all up. We'll hear how good Martinez looks and the guys behind him are ahead of schedule too but that's all window dressing that needs to proven before anyone should believe it at this point.
Stop whining.....peleeeeeease.

I second that! That extra year makes it tough for roster management. It's tough to know how many junior standing players are going to move on next year. They probably need to have some 1&1's prior to this summer and ask the players outright if they are planning to return for that extra year. They need an idea for recruiting numbers. Players would have the right to change their minds no problem but it would be helpful if they gave the coaches an idea. Even if they don't know they should give the coaches their best guess or tell them where they are leaning.

Remember, players are only guaranteed to be on scholarship for 4 years. If Nebraska wants to keep them around for 5 or 6 that is 100% up to Nebraska. No need to ask 4th year juniors, who don't play, if they plan on returning. You all seem to believe the player gets to determine if they take the extra year or not. Not true.

Now there will be some players that play, or will be expected to play the following year, that may be asked if they want to come back. But the conversations about these non contributors returning after their 4 years have been used, will be more of a conversation between coach and player, where the coach says, we want you to return, will you? or We think it would be best for you to play elsewhere if you want to continue to play.

The extra year of eligibility has no bearing on guaranteed scholarships. The contract the student athlete signs says 4 years.

but, this is the B1G. science isn't even close to a mitigating factor in the blanket decisions made by conference/university leadership.
How long will Nebraska put up with the dysfunctional big 10? Hypothetically what if the big 10 says only 30,000 fans in the stadium and no tailgating This fall? What if the big 10 drags this out till 2023? at what point if any does Nebraska say we’re out of this second rate conference?

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

Kevin Warren will put in a call to fauci and then we'll be screwed

I'm still a bit skeptical on Toure, if he is legit NFL prospect, he would be in the draft right now not at Nebraska. So for me at WR is Manning.

I agree mostly with all your others especially Banks, but at CB I'm want to see Nadab. OLB really want to see how much better Blaise, Jimari, Payne will be than Nelson (not motor but in speed and explosion).
A very good college wide receiver does not necessarily translate to NFL caliber. We've had quite a few productive players that peaked in college.

Reactions: kakdawg and OzzyLvr
How long will Nebraska put up with the dysfunctional big 10? Hypothetically what if the big 10 says only 30,000 fans in the stadium and no tailgating This fall? What if the big 10 drags this out till 2023? at what point if any does Nebraska say we’re out of this second rate conference?

I can answer that.

As long as the checks clear.

I think you raise a solid question about Toure and Manning is a good choice. One thing I have heard on the radio is that Toure was hearing he would be a 3rd rounder because he's played for an FCS school. So he wanted to play at a P5 to improve his draft stock.

Good pick with Nadab, sounds like a great kid and I think he's got really good talent.

No need to ask 4th year juniors, who don't play, if they plan on returning.

Technically you're right and that would be one way to do it. Not sure that would be a good way as they will have to have that conversation at some point. I am not suggesting that Nebraska has no say in the matter, they will provide feedback to the player as well. I am sure there will be a few that will be directed to other opportunities. My point is that they have to have a conversation so that they have an idea on their recruiting numbers.

I think you raise a solid question about Toure and Manning is a good choice. One thing I have heard on the radio is that Toure was hearing he would be a 3rd rounder because he's played for an FCS school. So he wanted to play at a P5 to improve his draft stock.

Good pick with Nadab, sounds like a great kid and I think he's got really good talent.

A 3rd rounder doesn't go to Nebraska, they go get paid millions in the NFL and prove doubters wrong there.

I may have missed a story, but what’s this all about?
I wouldn’t mind if he added a couple more for consultation.

I like a lot of the picks others have mentioned, but I just want to toss Daniel Cerni into the mix as to symbolically emphasize the importance of all special teams this year.

It’s scary how unproven we are on offense, but there is still a lot of potential IF our coaches can do their job.

Reactions: Reditus
Spring Football has never told me anything. Just an exhibition game. Same with Fall camp and the talk that comes out of it. I want to see how we play in Game 1. If the Offense is inept again and we lose against Illinois, it will be a long season.

I used to be very optimistic and definitely want Frost to succeed but The Offense really needs to turn a corner and start getting more TDs this year (especially when we’re in the red zone). No more excuses, blaming previous staff, whatever. If we don’t at least get to a Bowl game, Frost will be on the clock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT