ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Ahead - O & D & ST

leodisflowers

Assistant Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
Who do you think turns out to be our best player in each group?

Offense - Going to Say A. Grant. Hopeful that we finally establish the run game and feel this kid can be a big asset for us. I my heart I hope it's someone on the line and that line gets better.

Defense - Going to go with Quentin Newsome. I think he is going to have a big year because of an increased pass rush

ST - Boomscini is going to have a massive impact and turn this group around

Reactions: BleedRed78

Offense - Going to Say A. Grant. Hopeful that we finally establish the run game and feel this kid can be a big asset for us. I my heart I hope it's someone on the line and that line gets better.

Defense - Going to go with Quentin Newsome. I think he is going to have a big year because of an increased pass rush

While Grant may be the complete package needed, the RB room still feels a little up in the air. In Whip’s offense, and a few backs to feed, not sure anyone will stand out as much.
I hope Casey Thompson is our best player.
While it’s the cliche choice, we need him to really play lights out.
I’m still nervous about OL also, but hopeful.

Defense, I think Garrett Nelson is going to flash the most. We need Luke Reimer to also be a guy to raise the bar.

ST- Agree on Buschini. Bleekrode being solid may garner more attention.

Not a player, but on ST, I'm going with Bill Busch. A group of well-coached walk-ons would be a massive upgrade over what we have witnessed the past few years.
We should have special teams units full of starters, not walk-ons

we are not even close to good enough to dip into the depth chart in any phase of the game

hopefully the LT ted is recovered,aftergeting injured by mich best..he seems to have the body to be good
hopefully thompson hand is ok, and we see more clutch passed catched.
I heard alot about this reciver/return man mickey j. got...

on defense I hope the polar bear starts where daneils stopped

Do not know about defense or special teams. But our entire season hinges upon improved play from the offensive line. If the line is crap, yet again, then it does not matter who our skill guys are. Crappy line = no run game and no pass protection. Which is why our best offensive plays over the past four years were QB runs after Martinez was forced to scramble.

Reactions: grandpabutch

I think that Garret Nelson will be our best defensive player before the season ends and will be all B10 first or second.

I think that Palmer will be our best offensive player.

ST - who knows.

On offense whoever starts at center, he starts the whole process. The OL as a whole unit must deliver this year if we are to move forward and not sideways or backwards.
On defense Garret Nelson, with Mathis on the other side I feel Nelson should have a huge year.

ST I think it's a toss up between our punter and place kicker. I want a punter who can place the ball so there's little to no return and of course distance is a big plus. I want a place kicker who is accurate and when called on will deliver and of course a the kicker must be able to kick it deep enough so there are no returns on kickoffs.

If he stays healthy, Oliver Martin is my candidate for leading the WRs in receptions.

If he stays healthy, Oliver Martin is my candidate for leading the WRs in receptions.
Oliver needs to prove he can produce when the lights are on. So many people get stage fright when they hit the big stage. Martin appears to be that.

I'll say CT on offense. Maybe more wishful thinking then anything, but I get weepy thinking about having a QB who doesn't turn into a three stooges routine in crunch time.

O - Vokolek if he can stay healthy. If not him, then yeah, hopefully CT.
D - Nelson like others mentioned, but I won't be surprised if Mathis adjusts to B1G play and has a stellar year.
ST - I think the whole unit will be much improved compared to anything we've seen the past few years...

I'll just say this. If defense is equal or as good as last year we're going to win a lot of games.....compared to recent history. I have NO DOUBT that the offense and special teams will be better. Winning field position when needed and making field goals and extra points would be huge just by itself. But I also expect the offense to gain 1 more TD and give up 1 less turnover that resulted in a score for the opponents. That's almost a 17 point swing. That's YUGE folks

I'll just say this. If defense is equal or as good as last year we're going to win a lot of games.....compared to recent history. I have NO DOUBT that the offense and special teams will be better. Winning field position when needed and making field goals and extra points would be huge just by itself. But I also expect the offense to gain 1 more TD and give up 1 less turnover that resulted in a score for the opponents. That's almost a 17 point swing. That's YUGE folks
I agree with you. Looking from a 40,000ft view. If the D is equivalent to last year, we get any special team production we are going to be better. Just too many upgrades across the board to not be better. Adrian was a great kid, but just didn't seem to be a leader. CT seems to be a leader.

I agree with you. Looking from a 40,000ft view. If the D is equivalent to last year, we get any special team production we are going to be better. Just too many upgrades across the board to not be better. Adrian was a great kid, but just didn't seem to be a leader. CT seems to be a leader.
AND not to mention coaching upgrades at OC and WR

Offense = Grant/Rhamir. We need another dude like Ameer in the backfield again. Back then, it was almost plug and play with the RB room. Seems like we have struggled big since he left. Maybe thats the O-line, but I think a lot of it is vision, reading blocks, hitting the RIGHT hole, not going down with minimal contact, catching the ball on the run and cutting it up and moving.

Defense = Riemer. Dont count him out. He came up big last year when least expecting it. Would love to see him build on that, and be a counter punch to Nelson and Mathis.

ST = Palmer. Hoping to 1) catch the punts when supposed to 2) let them go when inside the 10 or 5 or whatever the rule is. 3) break 2 for TD, and 2-4 others for big time gains.

ADVERTISEMENT