ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Ahead/Expectations

coolonetoo

Junior
May 12, 2003
The board's been pretty quiet the last 24 hours. I suppose we're all mourning in our own ways. This year's team was special and it was really fun to watch them all season. I'll offer one final comment about 2021. It's a shame Nebraska vs. Arkansas happened in a regional instead of a super regional or even Omaha. It was unfair to both teams. Big Ten leadership gave the committee the opportunity to screw up the bracket. And the committee seized that opportunity.

I think we all agree the future looks bright for NU baseball. I suppose it's time for my somewhat annual list of expectations. I don't think they've changed much since Nebraska switched leagues, but I do finally feel they are close to being realized. In a 10-year period, Nebraska baseball should:

1. Make the conference tournament 10 times.
2. Make a regional 8+ times.
3. Host a regional 4+ times.
4. Win a regional 3+ times.
5. Win a super regional 1+ times.

Naturally, some regular season and tournament conference crowns would be nice and if they are doing the other things, those will happen. But I care a lot less about how Nebraska compares to the rest of the Big Ten in the span of one season than how it compares to the rest of the country over the long haul. I would rather host a regional than win a conference title.

Bring on 2022!

Reactions: Mike Matya
I dont think these are too lofty of expectations especially being in the Crap 10 conference.

As far as the NCAA tourney goes, thry need to stop doing the top 8 and 16 national seeds. Go to where they seed each regional then when those winners are decided, re-seed for Supers then for CWS.

Reactions: k9_r
I think Bolt will go to the CWS here in the next couple years and probably 3 times in the next 10.

I always argued with fans who said Nebraska could never be the same when leaving the Big 12 and it never made sense to me. We have the in state talent to compete immediately as we’ve shown. If we win the league we have a great chance at hosting (most years).

I feel the stage is set up for us and Bolt will coach Nebraska into the elite team of the Big Ten as well as a consistent regional host.

I’ll be honest, I’d be a tad disappointed if we only won one super in 10 years. Maybe that’s because I think Bolt will easily surpass that.

I dont think these are too lofty of expectations especially being in the Crap 10 conference.

As far as the NCAA tourney goes, thry need to stop doing the top 8 and 16 national seeds. Go to where they seed each regional then when those winners are decided, re-seed for Supers then for CWS.
I think it's a scheduling/TV thing more than anything due to their staggered starts. I'm torn but do like the current format. I typically lean toward "once the field is set, don't tinker" mentality for a few of reasons:

1. Higher seeds have already been given an advantage, do we really need to readjust the advantage at each successive phase? It's easy to say when you're on top. For TV revenue, it would probably be wise to ensure the perceived "best" teams (by seed) make deeper runs, but that just feels like manipulation to me.
2. Once you set the field, everything should be considered equal outside of where decisions HAVE to be made (ie location, designating the home team).
3. It would really screw up bracket pools. ;)

I know the NCAA basketball tournament at one time considered re-seeding the Final Four to attempt to ensure easier paths for the higher seeds, but so much money is made from bracket pools that it would turn away some fans from participating due to that nuanced complexity/frustration.

I think it's a scheduling/TV thing more than anything due to their staggered starts. I'm torn but do like the current format. I typically lean toward "once the field is set, don't tinker" mentality for a few of reasons:

1. Higher seeds have already been given an advantage, do we really need to readjust the advantage at each successive phase? It's easy to say when you're on top. For TV revenue, it would probably be wise to ensure the perceived "best" teams (by seed) make deeper runs, but that just feels like manipulation to me.
2. Once you set the field, everything should be considered equal outside of where decisions HAVE to be made (ie location, designating the home team).
3. It would really screw up bracket pools. ;)

I know the NCAA basketball tournament at one time considered re-seeding the Final Four to attempt to ensure easier paths for the higher seeds, but so much money is made from bracket pools that it would turn away some fans from participating due to that nuanced complexity/frustration.
My reason to not re-seed is simple...the NCAA will screw it up.

It's always the same for me - earn a regional invite every year. Everything else will fall in place if we do that one thing. Or so I think.

Failing to do that occasionally will likely happen so we just pick up the pieces and start over. I just have that one goal in mind.

It's always the same for me - earn a regional invite every year. Everything else will fall in place if we do that one thing. Or so I think.

Failing to do that occasionally will likely happen so we just pick up the pieces and start over. I just have that one goal in mind.
About where I am at. I think the goals are simple as well:

1. Make a Regional
2. Host a Regional

Winning the conference title is always nice but the regional should always be the #1 goal.

Reactions: coolonetoo
What are people's thoughts if we only return 3 of 9 from our 2021 regular lineup? That's some serious chops we're definitely gonna lose due to super seniors & the draft plus I anticipate one will grad transfer - or at least try to. Right now, 2022 worries me from an offensive standpoint. I think we have really good arms that'll be back for 2022, but we'll lose some unexpectedly there as well. I believe we'll need to hit the portal to shore up pitching.

These next 2 months will be nerve racking.

Reactions: coolonetoo and k9_r
I won’t be surprised if there’s a little dip next year before things really take off after that. This year’s team benefited from exceptional senior leadership that might be hard to duplicate.

What are people's thoughts if we only return 3 of 9 from our 2021 regular lineup? That's some serious chops we're definitely gonna lose due to super seniors & the draft plus I anticipate one will grad transfer - or at least try to. Right now, 2022 worries me from an offensive standpoint. I think we have really good arms that'll be back for 2022, but we'll lose some unexpectedly there as well. I believe we'll need to hit the portal to shore up pitching.

These next 2 months will be nerve racking.

It feels good to stress about the draft again. We had way too many years where we barely had to worry about losing anyone (especially incoming players).

I think there will be enough returning talent in the lineup (Anderson, Matthews, Chick, Everitt, Banjoff, Steil) to keep us at the top of the league and I have the upmost confidence in this staff to find a couple late roster adds to fill in the gaps. Hallmark would be a huge difference maker if he decides to come back.

I'm assuming we will lose a couple top arms, but I'm excited at the thought of KP pitching on Friday nights. Guys like Olson, Frank, and Christo should fill out the rotation. It will be fun to watch guys develop in the midweek (remember midweek games?). I'm counting on Gomes to anchor the back end of the pen. Schanaman will have a big role if he comes back.

(remember midweek games?)
I know this may be sacrilege, but the lack of midweek games didn't bother me as a selfish fan who wants to at least casually track each game. It was nice just knowing (save for the pods) everything was Fri-Sun only and not be tempted to break my glorious sleep schedule for a Tuesday night game in Manhattan.

That being said, I'm concerned about the lack of development due to missing those opportunities, particularly in prepping younger pitchers for weekend starter roles.

I think we will be decent next season. I know we lose a ton but I'm basing that on the development of guys like Acker, Roskam, Hallmark, etc. I assume the newbies will develop enough for next year. At the same time I don't put too many expectations on things until I know where we are after fall ball. I'm assuming we will have some JUCO's or even Grad Transfers added this Summer similar to last year. It is also hard to know where our leadership emerges. All important tools towards success.

Reactions: saluno22 and k9_r
I know this may be sacrilege, but the lack of midweek games didn't bother me as a selfish fan who wants to at least casually track each game. It was nice just knowing (save for the pods) everything was Fri-Sun only and not be tempted to break my glorious sleep schedule for a Tuesday night game in Manhattan.

That being said, I'm concerned about the lack of development due to missing those opportunities, particularly in prepping younger pitchers for weekend starter roles.

There are few things in this world I enjoy more than beating Creighton on a Tuesday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT