ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead - 2022 Nebraska Baseball outlook

bearcats667

Walk On
Nov 3, 2017
I already cant wait to get back to Haymarket park to watch this club next March! I am so proud of our team for competing this weekend.. next year lets host a regional so we can be a rowdy environment for other teams! Might be one of the last NU Baseball posts as its full steam ahead to FB from here on out. Here are some things to look for this offseason/fall ball:

Seniors:
Jaxon Hallmark - The way that dude ended the season, there is a chance he could be drafted higher than we thought like a month ago. Good chance we lose him, even with a bonus year left.
Logan Foster - He's done.
Joe Acker - Another player sure to be drafted in the first 15 rounds of the draft.
Chance Hroach - Draft candidate that is out of eligibility after transferring from NMSU.
Luke Roskam - Technically has a year of eligibility left but if he is drafted I could see him leaving
Gunner Hellstrom - He's done.
Mojo Hagge - his 10 year career is finally over.
Max Schreiber - FA somewhere in the Minors

Juniors to be possibly drafted
Cam Wynne - outside chance of drafted in first 20 rounds but probably too late to validate not coming back for senior year - probably our #1 reliver coming back
Cade Povich - Drafted - probably wont return
Spencer Schwellenbach - Improved his drafted stock tremendously this year - enjoy the majors big fella

Juniors to return
Tyler Martin LHP
Colby Gomes - back from surgery - hopefully a big part of the Husker bullpen next year - maybe starter?
Cam Chick
Koty Frank
Jake Bunz
Kyle Perry - pumped for him to enter weekend rotation
Shay Schanaman - him and Perry are going to be dangerous
Griffin Everitt - new starting catcher
Erfy Cervantas - big shoes to fill with Spencer leaving - bat needs to improve

Underclassmen to have bigger impact
Max Anderson - definitely a big impact in his freshman season but how much better does he get from year 1 - 2
Bryce Mathews - do you move Anderson to short if Cervantas transfers or benched due to his bat? Bryce showed some serious skill at 3rd during the regional.
Emmet Olson - I can see him move into a setup role starting next year

Recruits:
Bolt stated that the 2021 recruiting class is one of NU's best ever. Ranking 35th nationally, its probably low enough that none of the recruits are good enough to be drafted high enough to forego college and go straight pro. Drew Christo - the son of ex- NU QB Monte Christo will make an impact next year.
CJ Hood from Norris will also be a fresh arm out of the bullpen
Another instater Luke Jessen will be an stand out in the outfield as a possible replacement for Hagge, Acker, or Hallmark.

Great post! I think Anderson stays at 3rd and Matthews is the SS from here on out.

Christo is a flamethrower who we are very lucky to get considering how he projects and his offers from mega powerhouses like UVA, UNC and others.

Future is bright!

Reactions: huskerfan66
DONU was good enough to hang with Arky and they knew it, now the rest of the nation knows it which is why I think next year we'll start out ranked in the top 15. Imho, Gomes being out this year really hurt as I stated a number of times this season and very well could have made a difference in winning the regional as we were one arm short.

There is a possibility of Acker, Hallmark and Foster who is a grad transfer and has only played 4 years coming back as they are not super seniors and a very, very outside chance on Povich. Our showing in this regional could motivate some to come back as there is unfinished business. We just proved we could play with the best there is.

Reactions: HuskAir
DONU was good enough to hang with Arky and they knew it, now the rest of the nation knows it which is why I think next year we'll start out ranked in the top 15. Imho, Gomes being out this year really hurt as I stated a number of times this season and very well could have made a difference in winning the regional as we were one arm short.

There is a possibility of Acker, Hallmark and Foster who is a grad transfer and has only played 4 years coming back as they are not super seniors and a very, very outside chance on Povich. Our showing in this regional could motivate some to come back as there is unfinished business. We just proved we could play with the best there is.
I was not 100% sure Foster had any time left. I could see him wanting to come back since he's a hometown kid and lots of open room potentially in the outfield + no chance of drafted so why not? If we returned Acker and Hallmark.. watch out.

How about the Big 10 forgets to vote for us in the preseason poll again and the chip on shoulder returns?

Reactions: nwualum
ADVERTISEMENT