ADVERTISEMENT

Look no farther then this position for this season and on....

huskerssalts

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 6, 2014
Beatrice Nebraska
Husker have definitely added some talent here and this next class we have Haarberg coming in. Fortunately for him he’s got plenty of time for development.

But our 2020 season definitely hinges on Adrain Martinezs and Luke McCaffreys arm and legs. If they can manage the offense and do a good job, our Huskers have a chance to do some VanDamage.

Last edited:
ill say this much, if he’s struggles like he did last year, Luke McCaffrey will take his spot in a hurry and he won’t look back after he does.
As a state employee at the same institution where Martinez is enrolled, I hear some things from fellow students. Last year, I heard A LOT of things about the starting QB's work ethic, mental capabilities, and dedication outside of the classroom. They were not good. This year, I have heard nothing. Could be good or could be bad. But, i will tell you something. If Martinez doesn't have his crap together this year, McCaffrey better be put in the game and given a chance to produce, or Frost might be looking for a new job in two or three years. i am not a Frost basher and hope he succeeds, However, I don't want to be talking about this negative crap in a couple of years. Make good decisions, don't be bull -headed and prove me wrong. Oh, and I get it. It is a team game, but in Frost's offense, it starts with the QB.

Season also hinges on defense and special teams, big time. But the QB situation has two really good athletes with tons of upside, we will see where the chips fall.

I can’t disagree with that. We seen how a lack of a kicker last year cost us at least 1, if not 2 games last year. We went 5-7 but had we had decent to great kicker, we go 6-6 to 7-5 instead and that’s with a good to great kicker added in. I think Conner Culp will fix that issue from game 1 and him being here for a year, if not 2 years gives our true freshmen kickers time to develop. We added 3 true freshmen that were ranked 4 and half stars and one was ranked a 5 star kicker/punter (Crawford from Oklahoma).

Our defense has improved every year Chin has been here. When he got here, he literally took over the absolute worst defense in the BIG 10 and each year he has made our defense better. So honestly, I’m expecting and hoping for another jump this year in year 3. We have a good secondary, Dline has talent and depth and we got some talent and options at ILBs.

It’s our OLBs, can Jojo, Caleb Tannor, G Nelson and so on set the edges, get more pressure on the QBs and so on? I have a feeling Dawson will do much better with our OLBs then the previous OLB coach but by how much is left to be seen. We have some talent (some young still) and options there for Dawson. Let’s see how he attacks things. GBR

Last edited:
I agree, he can be incredible when he tries. My problem is him coasting last year when not being pushed. Says a lot about his character.
He was pretty banged up last year and the offensive line did not do him a lot of favors. That said, the line is improved and he's had time to heal up oh, so it's make-or-break time. Between him, McCaffrey, and Smothers, one of them has potential to lead this team to some good things

The man can do it, I’m going out on a limb and saying he will be much better this year and nothing like last year. GBR

I’ll believe it when I see it. And I hope I see it and I’m all for Adrian being the man. My reservation is based on his decisions on the field last year; just looked tentative to me. If he does sputter, I hope they give Luke a shot and not just a play or two here and there.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Will be interesting bc Martinez may struggle out of the gate having to play 3 top 15 teams in the first four games.
He better not. Most QB's at this level don't ever get to start for 3 seasons.

He should be the difference maker on our offense this season.

I’ll believe it when I see it. And I hope I see it and I’m all for Adrian being the man. My reservation is based on his decisions on the field last year; just looked tentative to me. If he does sputter, I hope they give Luke a shot and not just a play or two here and there.

last year he didn’t have Luke McCaffrey really pushing him as they wanted him to redshirt no matter what. Frost and coach V made that very clear.

But having a great, young QB like Luke pushing him, nipping at his heels will make Martinez that much better. It will and should raise his level of play and if not and if he truly continues to struggle, you better believe Luke McCaffrey will get let loose. He wasn’t brought here to sit on the bench behind a QB that he’s better then.

I can’t disagree with that. We seen how a lack of a kicker last year cost us at least 1, if not 2 games last year. We went 5-7 but had we had decent to great kicker, we go 6-6 to 7-5 instead and that’s with a good to great kicker added in. I think Conner Culp will fix that issue from game 1 and him being here for a year, if not 2 years gives our true freshmen kickers time to develop. We added 3 true freshmen that were ranked 4 and half stars and one was ranked a 5 star kicker/punter (Crawford from Oklahoma).

Our defense has improved every year Chin has been here. When he got here, he literally took over the absolute worst defense in the BIG 10 and each year he has made our defense better. So honestly, I’m expecting and hoping for another jump this year in year 3. We have a good secondary, Dline has talent and depth and we got some talent and options at ILBs.

It’s our OLBs, can Jojo, Caleb Tannor, G Nelson and so on set the edges, get more pressure on the QBs and so on? I have a feeling Dawson will do much better with our OLBs then the previous OLB coach but by how much is left to be seen. We have some talent (some young still) and options there for Dawson. Let’s see how he attacks things. GBR

Excellent post sir. Our defense annually improves but for some reason endless posters blame Chin for everything. Imo, our OLine & special teams have been way, wayyyyy worse than the blackshirts.

But the OLine very well might improve this year and special teams can't possibly get any worse. So......we'll see!

Reactions: huskerssalts
Excellent post sir. Our defense annually improves but for some reason endless posters blame Chin for everything. Imo, our OLine & special teams have been way, wayyyyy worse than the blackshirts.

But the OLine very well might improve this year and special teams can't possibly get any worse. So......we'll see!

Conner Culp should almost instantly give us a good to great kicker and now having that former Auburn Tiger special teams expert (JONATHAN RUTLEDGE, sorry copied and pasted this) on our coaching staff should only improve that area. Special teams, big jump.

The Oline, i am actually excited about that group for the first time in 3-4 years. B Jaimes and C Jurgens are both all BIG 10 Caliber players. Then moving Matt Farniok over to RG (playing the position his talents are made for) and then bring in an OT that just missed out being ranked in the Top 100 Bryce Benhart to RT should give our Oline a jump as well.

The other guard spot has a number of candidates that could win the job and give us a solid LG (B Wilson, T Corcoran, E Miller, T Hixson, E Piper, C Gaylord and N Nouili all have a shot there). Oline should be solid to good this year. So definitely a jump up.

Last edited:
I think Adrian is a composed, intelligent young man. He has to be absolutely embarrassed about his unacceptable play last year. It’s been a long off season for him to prepare for redemption having to taste that bitterness every day.
He should have been working hard on his throws, his reads, etc. He got a little extra time to prep with the new skill guys.
I’ve been his harshest critic, but also share the optimism about his potential to bounce back.
We need to see a lot more aggression from him with being decisive, making accurate throws, driving the ball, and running hard. He should be a master of the offense now.
Our schedule leaves no room for our QB to not be ready. It’s time to go get the job done and be fearless while earning W’s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT