ADVERTISEMENT

LOL Solich

Doesn't Lance Leipold have a Nebraska connection too? Or did I imagine that?

edit: on-campus recruiting coordinator 01-03.

Frank is a solid coach, just goes to show what a little competency and consistency can do. It also highlights just how fantastically inept dear old NU has been at hiring coaches between Solich and Frost. We made it look way harder than it its.

thank you Steve PEDERDICK in making sure we didn't get to mediacrtiy or whatever the hell the phrase was you used, ya that worked well didn't it.

Reactions: scarletred
Good to see Frank doing well at Ohio. Still believe we needed to move on from him when we did.

In hindsight though, we clearly would have been better off keeping him until HCSF arrived.

Last edited:
I like that MAC games are on during the week. I make a point of watch Ohio games. I always pull for Frank's team to do well. I think he had a tough job following TO. I don't think he was the long term answer for the Huskers, but he is still a solid coach. No way of proving it but I bet he would have won more games than what the next three coaches won. He's a Husker so I don't hold any grudges and with Scott as head coach I expect to see around the Husker team more often than he has in the past.

I like that MAC games are on during the week. I make a point of watch Ohio games. I always pull for Frank's team to do well. I think he had a tough job following TO. I don't think he was the long term answer for the Huskers, but he is still a solid coach. No way of proving it but I bet he would have won more games than what the next three coaches won. He's a Husker so I don't hold any grudges and with Scott as head coach I expect to see around the Husker team more often than he has in the past.

Pretty much my thinking. A lot went wrong for Frank that wasn't necessarily his fault, and he had taken steps to fix some of the things that were his fault when he got fired.

- other teams had caught up with our S&C methods in that time period (remember the non-PED tested Colorado teams, at least not tested until the bowl game), and the problems we were having with S&C and all of the Athletic Pubalgia casualties?
- Carl Crawford just got drafted too high to turn his back on baseball (right decision, no doubt, but he was perfect for our system)
- He inherited all of the assistant coaches and didn't move fast enough to replace them as they got older and less interested in recruiting
- He really wasn't a great OC in calling his own plays

Reactions: saluno22
I doubt Ohio gets the title this year either unless Buffalo gets upset by Bowling Green. Not something I would think happens!

Did it ever come out who the NFL guy Petersen had lined up to replace Solich was? Or are we still speculating about that?

Did it ever come out who the NFL guy Petersen had lined up to replace Solich was? Or are we still speculating about that?
Dave Wannstedt, wasn’t it? He was Miami Dolphins coach and expected to be fired but they kept him.

It’s Pederson and Wannstedt was his can’t lose hire...
Which his botched hiring ended up with Callahan who ended up beating Wannstedt twice when he was hired at Pitt.o_O

Dave Wannstedt, wasn’t it? He was Miami Dolphins coach and expected to be fired but they kept him.

Once Wannstedt didn’t get fired from the Dolphins Pedy had egg on his face and then chased after Urban Meyer and Houston Nutt..

Reactions: timnsun
It’s Pederson and Wannstedt was his can’t lose hire...
Which his botched hiring ended up with Callahan who ended up beating Wannstedt twice when he was hired at Pitt.o_O
Yeah, I'm alright with misspelling his name. o_O Did one of the parties involved ever actually come out and confirm that because it still just seems like speculation to me? I seem to recall Steve Petarsen saying it got as far as contract negotiations before it fell apart. Idk.

Please Stop. It was Wannstedt. Pederson thought it was a done deal when he fired Frank already. Wannstedt was sure he was going to be fired at that time. That changed at the last minute and Pederson's back up choice fell thru also leaving him hanging out to dry! Shit happens!

Heh....,."maybe" better than Clownahan & Smiling Mike? Jeeeeesh.......I'd bet the ranch he wouldn't have four losing seasons in seven years.

Beating Bo's record of seven consecutive years of 9 or 10 wins would be way more difficult. But who was the last NU HC who played for a NC? How about winning a conference title?

Firing Frank & Bo to bring in horribly inept bozo HCs was a true-blue nightmare. Buh-bye Pedeyshine & SE....don't call us, we'll call you.

Reactions: hephusker
My impression is that Frank and Bo were fired more for systemic issues related to how assistants were acting, how the coach themselves were acting publicly, and how they were representing the university. They also had a ceiling because of how they acted publicly and privately and were easy to negatively recruit against. Our recruiting was dipping for both of those coaches, quite dramatically, and although the ADs that fired them were as incompetent as any ever, the firing came from multiple directions. The subsequent hiring of the next coach though generally only comes from the AD and those decisions were bad at best. You can struggle to win 9 games every year if the coach is charismatic, beloved, and doing the right things. 9 wins is pointless if your coach and assistants are struggling with drug and alcohol abuse, adultery, and with how they treat the media and fans.

Reactions: Red Steve
Heh....,."maybe" better than Clownahan & Smiling Mike? Jeeeeesh.......I'd bet the ranch he wouldn't have four losing seasons in seven years.

Beating Bo's record of seven consecutive years of 9 or 10 wins would be way more difficult. But who was the last NU HC who played for a NC? How about winning a conference title?

Firing Frank & Bo to bring in horribly inept bozo HCs was a true-blue nightmare. Buh-bye Pedeyshine & SE....don't call us, we'll call you.
Don't forget ole Harvey P was part of this!

Solich was trash, and is a personification of the softening of Nebraska football. Maybe one day our fans can stop celebrating some dude we fired nearly 2 decades ago.

Wannestedt has not be a very good head coach either, he probably would have been slightly better than Callahan.

Keep in mind he was 0-2 at Pitt when going against Callahan’s Huskers...Who forgot that thriller in Lincoln 7-6, didn’t true Freshman Zach Potter block the Pitt FG to win the game..

Last edited:
Reactions: jedimasterjed
Not going to attack Frank. He meant a lot to the Husker program and he was a great running backs coach. He has not been a good or really anything above average head coach. There are very few good Power 5 head coaches that would go to some place like Ohio and not win a conference championship in the time Frank has been there! I do not think anyone can argue that point!

Have to add this. Frank was also a very good player for the Huskers in his playing days. That also should never be forgotten!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT