ADVERTISEMENT

"Lock"

Why, because it didn't happen with Fitz? Laughing There's plenty others that have been locked in.

Tony Butler disagrees. We'll find out on Lamar Jackson in 24 hours.
He was a "lock" up and down this board for days and you know it.

Well defending the guys your claiming had Fitz as a lock was wrong. I believe most where like me and knew Fitz wasn't a lock, but most of us feel Lamar Jackson is a lock and a silent commit making it official tomorrow. You have the wrong prospect in mind bro. Yes a lot of us feel L Jackson is a lock but most felt D Fitzpatrick was still in the air.

Well defending the guys your claiming had Fitz as a lock was wrong. I believe most where like me and knew Fitz wasn't a lock, but most of us feel Lamar Jackson is a lock and a silent commit making it official tomorrow. You have the wrong prospect in mind bro. Yes a lot of us feel L Jackson is a lock but most felt D Fitzpatrick was still in the air.

Considering we cancelled an OV from another WR last week tells me the staff felt Fitz was a lock.

Good luck Anger...looks like you're today's "huckleberry". That's a 100% useless scenario to be involved with.

Would I be using "lock" correctly in reference to winnning 9 games/season (in the past tense of course)?

GBR

Fitz and his dad got sold a bag of goods by Petrino with that "last visit".....best of luck to him?

So much for your "insider knowledge", paper tiger.

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Ah, the good old insider and paper tiger response. That didn't take long, less than 15 posts in.

Yeah, once HTO gets involved and starts hurling backpeddling insults, they usually do.

Makes no sense, but there's no back peddling going on, and no insults. Yet, paper tiger.

Time for the college draft. Let's completely level the playing field, and eliminate recruiting entirely. Purdue fan? Good news, you're picking near the top! Get a commissioner, break off the power 5 into 8 divisions, and NFL model this thing. It's time :)

Time for the college draft. Let's completely level the playing field, and eliminate recruiting entirely. Purdue fan? Good news, you're picking near the top! Get a commissioner, break off the power 5 into 8 divisions, and NFL model this thing. It's time :)

The $EC will never agree (or comply) with a salary cap.

I have no idea what is happening with this thread. However, "lock" is just something that message board guys throw around. It's no biggie...we all do it. I remember when it was a lock that Harv was going to fire Bo a few years earlier.

However, this silent commit thing is garbage. Why would you not be public with your commit and help your team with additional players? Why would you not put out a hard signal to other teams that you are already taken? What advantage is there to playing this game of "silent commit?"

Reactions: RedSea
I have no idea what is happening with this thread. However, "lock" is just something that message board guys throw around. It's no biggie...we all do it. I remember when it was a lock that Harv was going to fire Bo a few years earlier.

However, this silent commit thing is garbage. Why would you not be public with your commit and help your team with additional players? Why would you not put out a hard signal to other teams that you are already taken? What advantage is there to playing this game of "silent commit?"
Simple it allows the player to save face all while allowing himself to be courted and deciding where he really wants to go - pretty clear to me

Simple it allows the player to save face all while allowing himself to be courted and deciding where he really wants to go - pretty clear to me

In some cases its contractual. Both Jackson and Fitz agreed to do events with sports outlets. Not sure why Butler and Anchrum were silent

I wish our coaches would just man up and say, "A silent commit is no commit at all. We will keep recruiting your position as if there has not been any commit at all. Getting drug around by the nose by these kids is ridiculous.

Contractual? How the heck is their contract for high school kids? What are they getting out of it?

Reactions: SnohomishRed
In some cases its contractual. Both Jackson and Fitz agreed to do events with sports outlets. Not sure why Butler and Anchrum were silent
oh great now companies are getting involved. I really do not have a problem with it. Some of these kids will not even play much in college or they may wash out for other reasons. This is a time in the sun for them

I however cannt remember the last time NU was the beneficiary of one of these last second recruits which were a lock somewhere else

I wish our coaches would just man up and say, "A silent commit is no commit at all. We will keep recruiting your position as if there has not been any commit at all. Getting drug around by the nose by these kids is ridiculous.

Contractual? How the heck is their contract for high school kids? What are they getting out of it?

Well, contractual in the sense, they agreed to do a show for a corporate entity.

Not simply waking up and thinking, I'm going to piss off some old dudes because I don't do things the Nebraska Way. Let me float my rabid millennialism around for the old boosters at all the schools I'm visiting.

I might suggest that to play for the top recruits we have to put with these kinds of things. "My way or the highway" doesn't work when there's an awful lot of highway for these kids. Been talked about ad nauseum.

Of course, that kid out of Norfolk Catholic isn't doing any shows or gamesmanship, maybe he should be our 1A choice.

oh great now companies are getting involved. I really do not have a problem with it. Some of these kids will not even play much in college or they may wash out for other reasons. This is a time in the sun for them

I however cannt remember the last time NU was the beneficiary of one of these last second recruits which were a lock somewhere else

Slauson. I think he was flipped from Minnesota last minute?

We get a fair share number of flipped commits

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

What if say...6 kids said they are a lock, or silent commit, and 5 of them came through? I'd say every staff in America would take that. People are making to big of a deal about this today. Jheesh, you'd think after living through the Pelini recruiting years we'd be used to coming in second, or 6th.

It's just proof that kids will be kids, and sometimes dads will be that type of dad.

Is that a word we can all put out of our vocabulary regarding recruiting?
I don't follow recruiting very closely, but such is life. If you can't handle that some called him a "lock" and he didn't commit it says much more about you than anyone else. It means about as much as recruiting stars and unicorns to me.

Reactions: Yossarian23
OP thought he was sly, and it backfired on him, he's use to it.

@Harry Caray chimes in, then goes silent.

Not sure what else needs to be said. We are 1/3 with silent commits this year. That's not a great percentage.

We've had silent commits every year I can remember that ended up signing elsewhere. So I'm not sure why anyone gets excited about them anymore.

Well, now we are in ALOT of trouble with KJJ for next year. Apparently ESPN found out he was favoring us and let KJ sr go. ESPN really does hate us.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Slauson. I think he was flipped from Minnesota last minute?

We get a fair share number of flipped commits
Didn't remember that Slauson was committed to MInn - I thought he was a complete unknown - It certainly is not 50/50 we may get a few but we lose a lot

Last edited:
Didn't remember that Slauson was coimmitted to MInn - I thought he was a complete unknown - It certainly is not 50/50 we may get a few but we lose a lot

I thought Slauson was the kid from Colorado, Air Force Academy High or something. I didn't remember him as a flip. I thought the old DB Coach Warren knew about him.

I thought Slauson was the kid from Colorado, Air Force Academy High or something. I didn't remember him as a flip. I thought the old DB Coach Warren knew about him.
Yes, that was him-he was never committed to Minnesota. He was a late addition to the 2005 recruiting class(signed in August). Perhaps they were thinking of Lydon Murtha, who was committed to Minnesota and then flipped to us after Callahan was hired.

Well, contractual in the sense, they agreed to do a show for a corporate entity.

Not simply waking up and thinking, I'm going to piss off some old dudes because I don't do things the Nebraska Way. Let me float my rabid millennialism around for the old boosters at all the schools I'm visiting.

I might suggest that to play for the top recruits we have to put with these kinds of things. "My way or the highway" doesn't work when there's an awful lot of highway for these kids. Been talked about ad nauseum.

Of course, that kid out of Norfolk Catholic isn't doing any shows or gamesmanship, maybe he should be our 1A choice.
If the kids want to play the game fine. However, we don't have to play along accepting their "silent commit." It does nothing but puts us at a disadvantage. If we can't get anyone better, then we just keep offering and acting as though had not committed. If we get someone better...adios.

They can make all the videos and act "all millennial" all they want. However, why potentially hurt ourselves with someone who isn't helping us get the best class we can get?

^^ Poor guy is pissed I'm pimping him all over again ^^
bd9b8293473456f32ec166c7bc09e67ced6b07355ee9793dd8ed6b5efb6d031b.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT