ADVERTISEMENT

Local Media

JohnRossEwing

Assistant Head Coach
Jul 4, 2013
So let's take a quick look here...

In the last month or so the Omaha and Lincoln media went off on...

Made up stories (that they made up) about Moos being passed out drunk at bars and hitting on boosters significant others (no pics or video of course)

They ripped on him for this made up discord in the AD's office...They leaked out little teasers about how Moos might be stepping down or might be in need of help for his drinking issues.

They ripped on him for how he handled the Miles firing and they ripped on him for his statements and they ripped on him for not being at every Husker basketball game.

They tried to grab credit with the old "I have heard this has been in the works for awhile" nonsense when Fred stated to pop up as the next coach. (Of course, the same sources that were telling them all the BS stuff above were now giving good info, suuuuure)

Now they are all slurping on Moos. Good work local sports guys...good work indeed.

They can only go off of what they are told.... just like any other market.

It’s obvious Moos has an enemy high in the ranks. I hope that person is exposed so they can be destroyed publicly. Too many god complexes on the BoR.

Reactions: Dean Pope and 1954
They asked the university about rumors that started on message boards like this. I can't recall stories about him being passed out in bars.

I don't see how the smashing success of a universally praised hire means Moos is perfect. Reasonable people can disagree about how Miles was left hanging perhaps a bit longer than was necessary.

Local sports media isn't evil or unethical.

Reactions: 1954
They asked the university about rumors that started on message boards like this. I can't recall stories about him being passed out in bars.

I don't see how the smashing success of a universally praised hire means Moos is perfect. Reasonable people can disagree about how Miles was left hanging perhaps a bit longer than was necessary.

In general, I like the Nebraska sports media and appreciate the job they do.

BUT. The whole Miles was left hanging in the wind narrative is soooo stupid. The guy was fired one day after his season ended. Th AD has publicly said, multiple times, he doesn’t fire coaches during the season. Alabama fired their coach 4 days after their last NIT game, but no one accuses them of leaving Johnson hanging. I don’t know who came up with this whole poor Miles/Moos handled this so bad narrative, but it really is ridiculous.

Sure they are, why wouldn't they be?

Look...every single article that a dude writes for the OWH is followed up by 10 other OWH writers tweeting out a link to that article and letting everyone know how amazing the article is (and to subscribe) so is every article they have ever written amazing? Of course not, but they still sell you on the idea that it is.

They are more salesmen (which they need to be, I am fine with that) then writers.

In general, I like the Nebraska sports media and appreciate the job they do.

BUT. The whole Miles was left hanging in the wind narrative is soooo stupid. The guy was fired one day after his season ended. Th AD has publicly said, multiple times, he doesn’t fire coaches during the season. Alabama fired their coach 4 days after their last NIT game, but no one accuses them of leaving Johnson hanging. I don’t know who came up with this whole poor Miles/Moos handled this so bad narrative, but it really is ridiculous.

I don't remember which sports show host I heard it from first, but I agree. It was a huge crying point for them. You would have thought that Moos punched Miles in the face and shit on his contract.

I also LOVE how from 7am - 6pm...all 5 hosts and all their local guests somehow all have the same thoughts and takes...Hmmmm...what are the chances! haha

Of course, with that said and being a hypocrite myself, I would rather listen to Husker talk than not listen to it.

Made up stories (that they made up) about Moos being passed out drunk at bars and hitting on boosters significant others (no pics or video of course)

They ripped on him for this made up discord in the AD's office...They leaked out little teasers about how Moos might be stepping down or might be in need of help for his drinking issues.

They ripped on him for how he handled the Miles firing and they ripped on him for his statements and they ripped on him for not being at every Husker basketball game.

They tried to grab credit with the old "I have heard this has been in the works for awhile" nonsense when Fred stated to pop up as the next coach. (Of course, the same sources that were telling them all the BS stuff above were now giving good info, suuuuure)

Now they are all slurping on Moos. Good work local sports guys...good work indeed.
X1000.
They are terrible.

Taking ques from the national media I guess.

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
JonhRossEwing is correct. They do more self-promoting than writing anymore. Their tweets are filled with how great this article is, how great this writer is, how great their publication is, etc. It's self-preservation. They know their days are numbered. Times have changed, and they are as much to blame for their own demise as the times and technology that is ushering them out. I will watch the local news, and will read the papers occasionally, but I do get sick of their chest thumping and handing themselves awards. No one cares. George Harrison said this in 1968 about the Beatles-- once the media builds you up, the only thing left they have to do is tear you down. The same rules apply today.

Disagree without the facts or details of the decision? Perhaps they do know it all then its ok.
Question would be more appropriate if they dont know it all, which I doubt they do.

Fact is this: media (and many on here) have a black eye and deserve one.

JonhRossEwing is correct. They do more self-promoting than writing anymore. Their tweets are filled with how great this article is, how great this writer is, how great their publication is, etc. It's self-preservation. They know their days are numbered. Times have changed, and they are as much to blame for their own demise as the times and technology that is ushering them out. I will watch the local news, and will read the papers occasionally, but I do get sick of their chest thumping and handing themselves awards. No one cares. George Harrison said this in 1968 about the Beatles-- once the media builds you up, the only thing left they have to do is tear you down. The same rules apply today.

And I get it and it makes 100% sense to me. I know what they have to do and I get that they all work together with their ideas/takes.

Remember when that dude tried being the counterculture guy, Matt Perrault, it didn't work at all! Haha

But man the self-preservation and made up "inside info"...crazy

All I know is in 14 months Moos has brought in two dynamic head coaches and got the job done. A few writers should look in the mirror and ask if they got the job done? The answer is an obvious no.

All I know is in 14 months Moos has brought in two dynamic head coaches and got the job done. A few writers should look in the mirror and ask if they got the job done? The answer is an obvious no.
Amen

And to clarify, I don't think they are "evil" I think they are doing what most of us would do, try to get ratings, clicks and subscriptions.

Reactions: rrthusker
They can only go off of what they are told.... just like any other market.

It’s obvious Moos has an enemy high in the ranks. I hope that person is exposed so they can be destroyed publicly. Too many god complexes on the BoR.
Good journalists and media don't. They dig, the research, they find more than one person with info, they compile it all together to form an accurate story. If they can't compile all the info together and form a reliable, accurate story, there is no story. Well, that is they should. The media is horrible all the way around today, not just in Nebraska. There is no research now days. It is based on opinions, speculation, and maybe 1 "source", (those sources can count as twitter, facebook, or just something they over heard at the bar, ect..)

Last edited:
Good journalists and media don't. They dig, the research, they find more than one person with info, they compile it all together to form an accurate story. If they can't compile all the info together and form a reliable, accurate story, there is no story. Well, that is they should. The media is horrible all the way around today, not just in Nebraska. Their is no research now days. It is based on opinions, speculation, and maybe 1 "source", (those sources can count as twitter, facebook, or just something they over heard at the bar, ect..)
Isn't the rule that you need 3 sources/ or confirmations...

These asshats started such a rumor that the school had to issue a press release that basically said Moos is not a raging alcoholic.

Ha! Maybe Moos should have fired him right when the clock hit zero?
Right, lol I don't understand the people who think Moos handled the Miles firing poorly. How so? Moos has said since day 1 that he makes no coaching decision until the end of the year. So doing so before the end of the year would be going against his word (many of the same people would have also complained if he did this) Also firing him before served zero purpose.
So Moos kept his word and waited until the end of the year. Many think he should have been fired, like you said "when the clock hit zero". To me that is more crappy than waiting a few day. Im sure Miles knew it was coming anyways so it wasn't like he was left hang up in the air and would be taken by surprise. This way he had time to get home, spend a couple days talking with his players, say their goodbyes, and gives him a chance to get his things in order. VS firing him the night of the NIT. He gets home and is out the door the next day. Moos handled it perfectly fine.

This statement is absolutely hilarious.

Can I get your permission to think that Miles was not left hanging at all? Will I still be a reasonable person?
Of course we can disagree. I think he should have been told the day before.

If we stop paying for journalism, even if biased and imperfect , we are left with propaganda. That's where we are headed in this country because of rage at the media .

Reactions: jlgformk
Right, lol I don't understand the people who think Moos handled the Miles firing poorly. How so? Moos has said since day 1 that he makes no coaching decision until the end of the year. So doing so before the end of the year would be going against his word (many of the same people would have also complained if he did this) Also firing him before served zero purpose.
So Moos kept his word and waited until the end of the year. Many think he should have been fired, like you said "when the clock hit zero". To me that is more crappy than waiting a few day. Im sure Miles knew it was coming anyways so it wasn't like he was left hang up in the air and would be taken by surprise. This way he had time to get home, spend a couple days talking with his players, say their goodbyes, and gives him a chance to get his things in order. VS firing him the night of the NIT. He gets home and is out the door the next day. Moos handled it perfectly fine.

Don't forget that there was also the "Maybe they should fire him during the season" crowd/media talk.

Of course we can disagree. I think he should have been told the day before.

If we stop paying for journalism, even if biased and imperfect , we are left with propaganda. That's where we are headed in this country because of rage at the media .

I guess I would argue that all sports journalism (especially in a state like Nebraska where there is only 1 thing to really cover, and then also the Jays) is propaganda.

Do you think we are going to see a negative article on Frost anytime soon? No chance at all.

Do you think we will finally get a hard hitting investigative article/sports talk about how the Jays have cheated and that the FBI (literally the second highest agency of investigation in the USA) is looking to nail the jays? Heck no, not anytime soon.

I don't blame them, especially the radio guys, it is a smart move to do the old "Well...just don't get to comfortable yet...there are some rumblings..." and then the old "Hmmm, interesting stuff there from _____________ and I have heard a few stories that are similar"

It makes sense that they would do it. But then to get high and mighty about it...lame.

narrative is soooo stupid.
This is the main problem IMHO. A narrative gets started, a whole bunch of "journalists" jump on board, and the facts are twisted to support the narrative. The Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm showed how dangerous groupthink can be.

Sure they are, why wouldn't they be?

Look...every single article that a dude writes for the OWH is followed up by 10 other OWH writers tweeting out a link to that article and letting everyone know how amazing the article is (and to subscribe) so is every article they have ever written amazing? Of course not, but they still sell you on the idea that it is.

They are more salesmen (which they need to be, I am fine with that) then writers.

I rip them on Twitter for this. Told them how low rent it looks. I think it was heady who got pretty butthurt.

I guess I would argue that all sports journalism (especially in a state like Nebraska where there is only 1 thing to really cover, and then also the Jays) is propaganda.

Do you think we are going to see a negative article on Frost anytime soon? No chance at all.

Do you think we will finally get a hard hitting investigative article/sports talk about how the Jays have cheated and that the FBI (literally the second highest agency of investigation in the USA) is looking to nail the jays? Heck no, not anytime soon.
Except we did see criticism of the athletic department and head football coaches from the World Herald in the Pelini and Riley years. At first everyone rolled their eyes or said they had it out for DONU. Most people now agree much that criticism was right on.

We need to hear ideas that are in opposition to our own and we should honestly evaluate those ideas. Too many people don't , they just accept or reject everything they hear from the sources they chose long ago. This is where the idea of reasonable people can disagree comes in, though it's easy to hate the person on the other side in an internet discussion. We don't act like that when we interact with people face to face.

I think Moos has done a great job with his hires but think he should have told Miles slightly sooner. I would have wanted to know the night before if I were Miles and we all know the decision had been made at that point.

And I get that others disagree, but I don't understand how this narrative is ridiculous.

Except we did see criticism of the athletic department and head football coaches from the World Herald in the Pelini and Riley years. At first everyone rolled their eyes or said they had it out for DONU. Most people now agree much that criticism was right on.

We need to hear ideas that are in opposition to our own and we should honestly evaluate those ideas. Too many people don't , they just accept or reject everything they hear from the sources they chose long ago. This is where the idea of reasonable people can disagree comes in, though it's easy to hate the person on the other side in an internet discussion. We don't act like that when we interact with people face to face.

I think Moos has done a great job with his hires but think he should have told Miles slightly sooner. I would have wanted to know the night before if I were Miles and we all know the decision had been made at that point.

And I get that others disagree, but I don't understand how this narrative is ridiculous.

Well...what about the making up of Moos being plastered and blackout drunk at the Lincoln bars? Not one picture? Not a one?

What about Mary Pat wearing gloves that said FUSP...yet not one picture?

Just because Miles told reporters in the parking lot that he hadn't been told he was fired, doesn't mean he was kept in the dark. I think it's quite likely that Miles wanted to meet with the team on Monday, which he did, so his meeting with Moos was set for Tuesday. I thought everyone, including Miles, handled the situation just fine but a few people - mostly self-important college basketball pundits - decided to add extra drama.

Good journalists and media don't. They dig, the research, they find more than one person with info, they compile it all together to form an accurate story. If they can't compile all the info together and form a reliable, accurate story, there is no story. Well, that is they should. The media is horrible all the way around today, not just in Nebraska. Their is no research now days. It is based on opinions, speculation, and maybe 1 "source", (those sources can count as twitter, facebook, or just something they over heard at the bar, ect..)
Exactly. Stories that should not be written or should be more suitable as an op Ed, get viewed as a news story.

Well...what about the making up of Moos being plastered and blackout drunk at the Lincoln bars? Not one picture? Not a one?

What about Mary Pat wearing gloves that said FUSP...yet not one picture?
Can you link the news story about that? I missed it. I do remember reading he was accused of having too many drinks at a booster function by someone who said they were there and the media asked about it. Of course the media wasn't at that function so all they could do was following up on leads. I don't remember them saying Moos did the things with the details you provide, so if I'm wrong I will shut up.

I wasn't in Nebraska when Solich was fired so I have no idea about that. Though an example over 15 years ago doesn't mean much to me in today's media environment.

Can you link the news story about that? I missed it. I do remember reading he was accused of having too many drinks at a booster function by someone who said they were there and the media asked about it. Of course the media wasn't at that function so all they could do was following up on leads. I don't remember them saying Moos did the things with the details you provide, so if I'm wrong I will shut up.

I wasn't in Nebraska when Solich was fired so I have no idea about that. Though an example over 15 years ago doesn't mean much to me in today's media environment.
It was sports talk show stuff, so I can't link it.

I heard talk specifically called rumors on the shows. There is a big difference between talk shows and news in my mind.
Agreed...but those writers all either guest host or have spots on the shows each day or every week...where they jump in and share in rumors.

I thought the podcast with Sam, et al, at the OWH did a good job of dealing with this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT