ADVERTISEMENT

LM Transferring?

Or we could just admit our QB’s can’t run the offense and adjust. Run heavy, zone read, option. We will have a good defense, we could win a lot of games if the offense just stop turning the ball over. Long term we have to get a QB that can do all the things Frost wants, but in the short term we need to adjust.
That’ll never happen though.

I remember Ell Roberson’s first year at K State. He completed exactly 1 pass out of 11 throws (with 2 interceptions) against Nebraska en route to a comfortable victory for Nebraska. On the season he completed under 40% of his passes. The next 2 years he beat Nebraska and improved his completion percentage by 12%. He wasn’t a great passer by any means, but he definitely improved.

All this being said, Roberson looked horrendous his first year, then picked us apart the next two years. McCaffrey may never be a great passer, but he can definitely improve. Let’s give him a chance; he certainly has the ‘want to’, let’s see what he can do down the road before saying he sucks now and therefore always will suck.

I remember Ell Roberson’s first year at K State. He completed exactly 1 pass out of 11 throws (with 2 interceptions) against Nebraska en route to a comfortable victory for Nebraska. On the season he completed under 40% of his passes. The next 2 years he beat Nebraska and improved his completion percentage by 12%. He wasn’t a great passer by any means, but he definitely improved.

All this being said, Roberson looked horrendous his first year, then picked us apart the next two years. McCaffrey may never be a great passer, but he can definitely improve. Let’s give him a chance; he certainly has the ‘want to’, let’s see what he can do down the road before saying he sucks now and therefore always will suck.
Exactly. He just needs some more time to work with verduzco and he really knows how to develop quarterbacks to take a test.

he is one cool cat as verduzco says.

FWIW the board(s) saying he was staying after all, are now saying he’s gone again.

6qShYJ0.gif.cf.gif

sounds good except Martinez has 2 more years to play and i dont think mccaffery will ever beat out martinez. so that means at best mccaffery has just 1 year here to play. and thats if he beats out his competitors. i'm not sure he is worthy of the length of this discussion. i guess he thought he might be able to beat out Martinez but unless you're a top flight QB recruit its very difficult to beat out a returning QB. and he knew Martinez was a freshman when he decided to sign with neb

sounds good except Martinez has 2 more years to play and i dont think mccaffery will ever beat out martinez. so that means at best mccaffery has just 1 year here to play. and thats if he beats out his competitors. i'm not sure he is worthy of the length of this discussion. i guess he thought he might be able to beat out Martinez but unless you're a top flight QB recruit its very difficult to beat out a returning QB. and he knew Martinez was a freshman when he decided to sign with neb
mccaffrey is still a redshirt freshman in 2021

redshirt freshman + 1 year = 2 years to play, if martinez stays 2 more (I also think he will)

you might be good at whatever you do outside of posting here, but you're very bad at math

I've been hammering on that point for a couple years now. We have seen that putting the game on Adrian or Luke's arm is not a winning strategy by this point. Hence the reason I keep yapping about them being in the 15-25 attempts range instead of the 25-35 attempts per game range.

They desperately need a PA and RPO game set up by the run where they're making about 2 reads, maybe 3. Look here, if it doesn't look great, look there, if it doesn't look great, look to run, if that's shut down too, throw it away.

The trouble with Luke is he seems to give you about a coin flip chance of turning it over when he drops back to pass. He's like a 10 attempt per game guy. What you love in a runner is a kid who never wants to quit. What you fear in a passer is a kid who never wants to quit.

NU is going to have a monstrous OL in the coming years and a collection of RBs who were highly rated coming out of HS. If you can't commit to running with that, then I don't know what you're doing as a coach. They had a lesser opponent in Rutgers and just mashed them into submission. It made you go, "Where the hell has that been all year???"
He’s a smaller version of Eric Crouch without the support players around him

mccaffrey is still a redshirt freshman in 2021

redshirt freshman + 1 year = 2 years to play, if martinez stays 2 more (I also think he will)

you might be good at whatever you do outside of posting here, but you're very bad at math
you are assuming he will want to play for 6 years. that was not part of my assumption
im stunned any of these kids want to use a 6th year. Their NFL potential is probably determined by the end of 4 years unless they had an injury they needed to recover from. if they are using the extra years to get a Master's then that is probably a good use of their time. otherwise, they are just giving up 2 years of earnings which now puts them behind in saving for retirement and other financial goals. the most important time to save and invest is in your 20s.

Last edited:
Wow, not seeing that. I like Luke, as an athlete, but Crouch was a freak athlete and had a big arm before the shoulder injuries.
completely agree.

bigger, faster (by a lot), and actually possessed quarterback skills. not to mention he had been running veer since he was 7 years old.

Crouch was a high school all-American.

you are assuming he will want to play for 6 years. that was not part of my assumption
im stunned any of these kids want to use a 6th year. Their NFL potential is probably determined by the end of 4 years unless they had an injury they needed to recover from. if they are using the extra years to get a Master's then that is probably a good use of their time. otherwise, they are just giving up 2 years of earnings which now puts them behind in saving for retirement and other financial goals. the most important time to save and invest is in your 20s.

While you aren't wrong, you can do a masters degree in 6 years. A free masters isn't something to sneeze at.

Reactions: dinglefritz
While you aren't wrong, you can do a masters degree in 6 years. A free masters isn't something to sneeze at.
neither is playing big time college football with your friends

anyone can work an entry-level job and start to save (Luke, obviously, won't do this with his name recognition both in NE and back in CO, so @bingo65's post is completely absurd, anyway). his family is also very well off, so those early days of building his 401(k) don't apply.

not anyone can play big time college football for an any amount of time. if given the chance, I don't blame anyone for wanting to prolong their experience of having a blast with their friends instead of turning into a crusty old fart pinching pennies and shlepping to work each morning pre-8am.

Reactions: dinglefritz
....I don't blame anyone for wanting to prolong their experience of having a blast with their friends instead of turning into a crusty old fart pinching pennies and shlepping to work each morning pre-8am.
That last part had me thinking of Mike Riley.. lol, how a guy fails upward and gets big money and rides his bicycle to work.. what a scam artist.. it's almost comical.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
It would be wise of Luke to switch positions. He could be a great wide receiver. I don’t think he has the capability of being a great QB. When he’s taking snaps He looks like exactly what he is, a great athlete that can throw a decent spiral. However...it may be a Crouch scenario where your love of football is rooted in being a QB. If you playing another position makes it not fun anymore then yes...time to look at other programs.

neither is playing big time college football with your friends

anyone can work an entry-level job and start to save (Luke, obviously, won't do this with his name recognition both in NE and back in CO, so @bingo65's post is completely absurd, anyway). his family is also very well off, so those early days of building his 401(k) don't apply.

not anyone can play big time college football for an any amount of time. if given the chance, I don't blame anyone for wanting to prolong their experience of having a blast with their friends instead of turning into a crusty old fart pinching pennies and shlepping to work each morning pre-8am.
LOL young rich people are often the ones who end up with no retirement savings and sometimes end up being supported by the rest of us in their old age.

LOL young rich people are often the ones who end up with no retirement savings and sometimes end up being supported by the rest of us in their old age.
yea you're right he should probably stop playing football a year early so he can put $3,500 in his 401(k).

he'll be glad he did when he's 80, and I'm sure those are the stories he'll tell his grandkids.

yea you're right he should probably stop playing football a year early so he can put $3,500 in his 401(k).

he'll be glad he did when he's 80, and I'm sure those are the stories he'll tell his grandkids.
1. he wouldn't stop playing football a year early. he just wouldn't play fb for 2 more years after he graduates.
2. he wont have many stories about playing fb because he's not playing
3. he can save a whole lot more than 3500 each year and after 40 years of compounding $10,000 in his first 2 years he's giving up an estimated $150,000 in future earnings. and thats being fairly conservative.
i hope he's so rich that amount doesn't mean much to him in the future. but to many people that would be significant

Some people are saying it on Reddit and there’s also a thread on RSS about it as well.

This would really suck, but I guess if he wants to be a D1 QB it won’t be here. He could be a killer slot receiver and return man :’(
I'm not sure you can write him off quite yet. He's a super athlete and highly motivated. With coaching and another year of practice, who says he can't assume the QB position in 2022? He obviously believes he can play the position, so let him compete for it, with no pressure to change positions.

1. he wouldn't stop playing football a year early. he just wouldn't play fb for 2 more years after he graduates.
3. he can save a whole lot more than 3500 each year and after 40 years of compounding $10,000 in his first 2 years he's giving up an estimated $150,000 in future earnings. and thats being fairly conservative.
i hope he's so rich that amount doesn't mean much to him in the future. but to many people that would be significant
I’ve grown weary of this incredibly lame back and forth.

100% of people understand this, and 100% of people would opt for more college football.

You might be the lone exception, which strengthens my profile of you as just the wettest of blankets.

I'm not sure you can write him off quite yet. He's a super athlete and highly motivated. With coaching and another year of practice, who says he can't assume the QB position in 2022? He obviously believes he can play the position, so let him compete for it, with no pressure to change positions.

I just can’t see it. There’s a lot of things that coaching and practicing can do but when it comes to having a strong passing arm, you either have it or you don’t. I don’t believe you can develop it. Luke doesn’t have it and therefore never will. Kind of like trying to teach someone to throw a 90mph fastball. You don’t teach it, it’s just God given.

I’ve grown weary of this incredibly lame back and forth.

100% of people understand this, and 100% of people would opt for more college football.

You might be the lone exception, which strengthens my profile of you as just the wettest of blankets.
well except for college fb players. More college fb players opted against a 6th year of football than opted for it.
and i think our discussion was about college fb players not message board geeks.

What is 150k worth in 40 years in today’s money?

Since he's now a grad transfer, maybe he stayed in school at Michigan and paid his own way?
I think he could have opted to sit out and still be on scholarship. I think that was part of the deal the B1G cut to play this fall.

I guess they were just message board rumors just like Wandale! Whoops.

#nosmoke
We had better quickly find a QB to flesh out the depth chart. It is possible that this opening could convince a QB from another school to enter the portal to come to NU. Damn this new transfer rule is going to give a lot of coaches ulcers. How the hell can you manage your roster and recruiting classes. It's almost as if you need to go full Frank and only sign 16 kids every year so you have enough left over slots for guys wanting to transfer in to your program.

It would be interesting to know what conversations were held between Verdusco and Luke. Was he told Smothers would be ahead of him on the depth chart this spring? Was he asked to move to WR? It will be interesting to see where both of the McCaffreys land.

Reactions: WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT