ADVERTISEMENT

LM Transferring?

Agreed. LM should of stayed the starter.
Luke did suffer an injury that made him unavailable for at least one game. I don't think he was 100% the week that Adrian resumed starting games. Luke isn't out of the discussion of the starting QB and until I see Smothers' name on the depth chart above him, I'm not going to completely dismiss the chances that Luke wins the job.

We better hope that Smothers can actually push Martinez then because we saw what happened from year1 to year2 when there was no threat of competition (Martinez even admitted as such).

Smothers is the best QB on our roster currently. He isn't ready to be the starter but believe in the end he will be the best of the lot. McCaffrey is a great athlete and probably an NFL talent but not at the QB position. Will have to see if he is to stubborn to change positions.

Smothers is the best QB on our roster currently. He isn't ready to be the starter but believe in the end he will be the best of the lot. McCaffrey is a great athlete and probably an NFL talent but not at the QB position. Will have to see if he is to stubborn to change positions.

When these statements come up, I have to ask, based on what data?

Smothers may be the guy we are all seeking but then again, he may not. The reality is he has a ZERO body of work to make any judgements of any kind.

Formerly, the 2nd string QB was hailed as the coming savior, now we are looking down the line just a bit. Maybe by this time next year we will seeking that 4th string guy and anoint him?

Smothers may be the guy we are all seeking but then again, he may not. The reality is he has a ZERO body of work to make any judgements of any kind.

Formerly, the 2nd string QB was hailed as the coming savior, now we are looking down the line just a bit. Maybe by this time next year we will seeking that 4th string guy and anoint him?
Yep. They need to show it on the field. Smothers did appear to have a better arm than Luke on high school video but I'll believe it when I see it on a fall Saturday.

I agree with you on the point that we haven’t seen anything on Smothers in college to say he is the best QB, but I do remember an awful lot of people, even before the season began, claiming he is the best QB we have.

The only point I am making is that the wandering eyes didn’t start after we saw Luke struggle... people felt that way long before Luke made his first start.

That doesn’t mean he is the best we have, but people didn’t just move on after Luke struggled. Many thought he was the goods from the start.

I agree, as well, if for no other reason than this:

Luke as starter: 1-1, beat penn st, lost to illinois

AM following his benching: 2-2, beat purdue/rutgers, lost to iowa/mn

people on here have convinced themselves AM gives us the 'best chance to win', while actual results point to a very different reality. AM is the losingest QB in Nebraska history already, and still has 2 more seasons to pad that ominous distinction.

Can't argue that this isn't true. But I'm just not certain how much that was due to AM not seeing the field well, going through his progressions, etc, and how much was due to a wonky Oline that made snaps an adventure or left him with too little time to set himself.....can see the arguments both ways.

Less filling-------better taste.......

Luke's got juice.

AM doesn't.

Neither one has been perfect. But give me the guy with the biggest upside.
I agree.

....and I'll add...
...then call offensive play calls that cater to his strengths. Don't put him in positions that make him go through progressions or complete in tight windows. Play to your strengths to win don't force your offense on a player not capable of being successful with it.

Luke's got juice.

AM doesn't.

Neither one has been perfect. But give me the guy with the biggest upside.

Juice? He’s athletic, but he simply can’t throw the football. He had six iINT’s to one TD and that was on a glorified handoff. The only way he can be successful, playing QB is running an option type offense, where he is essentially at RB playing QB. I want us to do better than AM, but Luke isn’t it, not by a long shot.

I agree.

....and I'll add...
...then call offensive play calls that cater to his strengths. Don't put him in positions that make him go through progressions or complete in tight windows. Play to your strengths to win don't force your offense on a player not capable of being successful with it.

Then you just can’t throw the ball at all. He can’t push it downfield, so all the underneath windows are tight. With him at QB, we will have to just take our medicine on 3rd down and occasionally hit a PA pass on a short yardage situation, where we completely catch the defense off guard.

I am not at all opposed to us going back to a offense like this, heck AM would be better at this too, but it would require a philosophical type change. Maybe we started to see that change in the Rutgers game. If we do move to something like that, we need QB depth.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I have heard differently

Reactions: dinglefritz
Has anyone asked McCaffrey to change positions?

I agree.

....and I'll add...

So Frost shouldn’t call pocket pass plays for Luke? Might want to give frost a call let him know, because I don’t think he knows that.

Juice? He’s athletic, but he simply can’t throw the football. He had six iINT’s to one TD and that was on a glorified handoff. The only way he can be successful, playing QB is running an option type offense, where he is essentially at RB playing QB. I want us to do better than AM, but Luke isn’t it, not by a long shot.
a freshman getting his first game action in the B1G didn't look great throwing the ball?

wow. call dan rather. huge breaking news.

judging LM this harshly after leading us to our best win in 3 years while also having a blind spot for martinez's complete inability to lead the team doing anything sure is something.

our best chance to win is with anybody but martinez, including direct snaps to non-QBs. hitching your wagon to a kid who by all accounts just sits around smoking weed and playing video games is not how winning culture gets built. he is a loser, and his record speaks for itself.

I agree.

....and I'll add...

So put one arm behind your back with a QB who is only allowed to do those things he does well and not use all the potential of the O? No thanks, talk about one dimensional, a good D coordinator would hack that business apart in a nanosecond.

So put one arm behind your back with a QB who is only allowed to do those things he does well and not use all the potential of the O? No thanks, talk about one dimensional, a good D coordinator would hack that business apart in a nanosecond.
newsflash: we already do this.

adrian martinez is, statistically speaking, the WORST downfield passer in the B1G for two consecutive seasons. opposing defenses respect him even less than I do.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
newsflash: we already do this.

adrian martinez is, statistically speaking, the WORST downfield passer in the B1G for two consecutive seasons. opposing defenses respect him even less than I do.
And McCaffrey was worse. That's why Frost should try to bring in another quarterback. But it doesn't look like he will.

Last edited:
And McCaffrey was worse. That's why Frost should try to bring in another quarterback. But it doesn't look like he will.
mccaffrey wasn't worse. not statistically. people reference his TD/INT ratio, which is fine, but underlying stats show a greater willingness to throw downfield if you include what Luke did his true frosh season and that's before looking at intangibles, which Luke seems to possess as an asset vs AM's detriment.

one of AM's 4 TD passes came in garbage time vs illinois, and the two QBs accounted for the exact same amount of turnovers this season (8).

I 100% agree we should bring in another QB while at the same time congratulating AM on his dubious distinction of losingest QB in Husker history on his way out the door.

heck, use every remaining scholarship on QBs for all I care. just don't start #2 in another game ever again. we will be much better for it.

mccaffrey wasn't worse. not statistically. people reference his TD/INT ratio, which is fine, but underlying stats show a greater willingness to throw downfield if you include what Luke did his true frosh season and that's before looking at intangibles, which Luke seems to possess as an asset vs AM's detriment.

one of AM's 4 TD passes came in garbage time vs illinois, and the two QBs accounted for the exact same amount of turnovers this season (8).

I 100% agree we should bring in another QB while at the same time congratulating AM on his dubious distinction of losingest QB in Husker history on his way out the door.

heck, use every remaining scholarship on QBs for all I care. just don't start #2 in another game ever again. we will be much better for it.
The one thing you continue to reference between the two quarterbacks is turnovers… And that scares me that they both have the same number of turnovers. Luke’s came in two games, while Martines reached that level in six games. Huge difference.

The one thing you continue to reference between the two quarterbacks is turnovers… And that scares me that they both have the same number of turnovers. Luke’s came in two games, while Martines reached that level in six games. Huge difference.
Luke's came in 5 games, just like AM's.

Luke's came in 4 games, just like AM's.
Ok, I guess comparing minutes played, AM’s turnover rate has to be quite a bit lower than LM’s, doesn’t it? I haven’t looked at it, but LM played 1/3 of the minutes AM played, didn’t he?

I’m making assumptions here and I could be wrong...

a freshman getting his first game action in the B1G didn't look great throwing the ball?

wow. call dan rather. huge breaking news.

judging LM this harshly after leading us to our best win in 3 years while also having a blind spot for martinez's complete inability to lead the team doing anything sure is something.

our best chance to win is with anybody but martinez, including direct snaps to non-QBs. hitching your wagon to a kid who by all accounts just sits around smoking weed and playing video games is not how winning culture gets built. he is a loser, and his record speaks for itself.

I don’t have a blind spot of Martinez faults at all, but playing someone much worse won’t make things better. And while he was the starting QB for the PSU win, he played poorly. We won because of a blocked punt and a defensive TD.

Ok, I guess comparing minutes played, AM’s turnover rate has to be quite a bit lower than LM’s, doesn’t it? I haven’t looked at it, but LM played 1/3 of the minutes AM played, didn’t he?

I’m making assumptions here and I could be wrong...
yes, AM took more snaps.

bully for him.

I don’t have a blind spot of Martinez faults at all, but playing someone much worse won’t make things better. And while he was the starting QB for the PSU win, he played poorly. We won because of a blocked punt and a defensive TD.
you mean like the purdue game, where AM played well (by his standards) and we won because of *checks notes* a blocked punt? against a far inferior opponent, no less.

saying LM is 'much worse' is ignoring quite a bit of what's objectively available when comparing the two. completely writing him off based on your eye test is ridiculous.

last year, in AM's 3rd year as the starter, he played on par with a kid who'd played quarterback for a total of 1 year in his entire life.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
you mean like the purdue game, where AM played well (by his standards) and we won because of *checks notes* a blocked punt? against a far inferior opponent, no less.

saying LM is 'much worse' is ignoring quite a bit of what's objectively available when comparing the two. completely writing him off based on your eye test is ridiculous.

last year, in AM's 3rd year as the starter, he played on par with a kid who'd played quarterback for a total of 1 year in his entire life.

Im writing him off as the QB based on every possible metric. And AM was not on par with Luke he was night and day better. I wish we had an answer other than AM at QB, but it obviously isn’t Luke. I seriously can’t find a single thing that points to him being a good college QB and clearly you are struggling to as well, when the best thing you can say about his performance is how much you hate the other guy.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
yes, AM took more snaps.

bully for him.
Did a quick search... Luke threw 76 passes with 6 INTs and AM threw 151 passes with 3 INTs.

That scares me. I know LM was a freshman and he can improve. I hope he does. I would love for him to overtake Adrian at the QB position. I know that the additional INTs likely occurred because he was throwing downfield more. But if he doesn’t improve there, he is not the answer.

Im writing him off as the QB based on every possible metric. And AM was not on par with Luke he was night and day better. I wish we had an answer other than AM at QB, but it obviously isn’t Luke. I seriously can’t find a single thing that points to him being a good college QB and clearly you are struggling to as well, when the best thing you can say about his performance is how much you hate the other guy.

QB1 - 3 year starter
CmpAttPctYdsY/A

QB2 - Making first career B1G starts + forced into action
CmpAttPctYdsY/A

both accounted for 8 turnovers in 5 games (AM's all occurred as a starter, 2 of LM's came when forced into action due to injury or ineptitude. Another came down a billion vs OSU after AM was taken out).

yet, one is 'night and day better' than the other?

yea, okay.

Last edited:
Did a quick search... Luke threw 76 passes with 6 INTs and AM threw 151 passes with 3 INTs.

That scares me. I know LM was a freshman and he can improve. I hope he does. I would love for him to overtake Adrian at the QB position. I know that the additional INTs likely occurred because he was throwing downfield more. But if he doesn’t improve there, he is not the answer.
yep. more math:

AM - 5.7 yards/carry, 5 lost fumbles on 91 carries
LM - 5.6 yards/carry, 2 lost fumbles on 65 carries

again, if one guy is lightyears better than the other, especially with 2 years of starting under his belt, it would show up in the stats.

it doesn't.

Reactions: timnsun
yep. more math:

AM - 5.7 yards/carry, 5 lost fumbles on 91 carries
LM - 5.6 yards/carry, 2 lost fumbles on 65 carries

again, if one guy is lightyears better than the other, especially with 2 years of starting under his belt, it would show up in the stats.

it doesn't.

Sure seems like it does. AM is better is every single statistic.

AM fumbled more (7 total) than Luke (4 total). But that was on 242 rush+pass attempts. While Luke had 141 rush+pass attempts.

Statistically.

AM was a better passer (completion %, YPA, TD’s, INT).

AM was also a better runner (YPC, TD)

AM also turned the ball over half as often (8 TO’s on 242 rush+pass), than Luke (8 TO’s on 141 rush+pass).

Last edited:
Sure seems like it does. AM is better is every single statistic. AM fumbled more (7 total) than Luke (4 total). But that was on 242 rush+pass attempts. While Luke had 141 rush+pass attempts.

Statistically. AM was a better passer, better runner and turned the ball over half as often.
'night & day better' = averaging .1 yd/carry more and completing 8% more passes en route to more losses/starts despite having 3 more years starting of experience.

3 of LM's turnovers came when forced into duty due either to AM's being made of glass (INT vs MN), us being down by 100 (vs OSU, led by AM) or him sucking so horrendously even Frost couldn't take it anymore (INT @NW).

what next? AM's punting stats (his punt vs rutgers was a highlight of his career)?

we're doomed. so long as he's the starter, we're an afterthought, and our opponents treat us as such.

'night & day better' = averaging .1 yd/carry more and completing 8% more passes en route to more losses/starts despite having 3 more years starting of experience.

3 of LM's turnovers came when forced into duty due either to AM's being made of glass (INT vs MN), us being down by 100 (vs OSU, led by AM) or him sucking so horrendously even Frost couldn't take it anymore (INT @NW).

what next? AM's punting stats (his punt vs rutgers was a highlight of his career)?

we're doomed. so long as he's the starter, we're an afterthought, and our opponents treat us as such.
Without a doubt, if we are to run the offense that Frost wants to run, there needs to be a threat of the downfield pass. At this point, I don’t see that very clearly in either of them. Luke is young and ideally, can improve upon that. What I do like about Luke, is that he’s a decision maker. He may make poor decisions leading to these turnovers, but he at least is making decisions. Adrian dances around an awful lot for my liking…

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Without a doubt, if we are to run the offense that Frost wants to run, there needs to be a threat of the downfield pass. At this point, I don’t see that very clearly in either of them. Luke is young and ideally, can improve upon that. What I do like about Luke, is that he’s a decision maker. He may make poor decisions leading to these turnovers, but he at least is making decisions. Adrian dances around an awful lot for my liking…
I agree, look at rattler from ou he never hesitates i believe that is what frost wants his offense to look like and just maybe the look like that in practice them come game time Adrian folds like a cheap piece of paper

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT