ADVERTISEMENT

LM Transferring?

I didn’t see any quotes from Luke in that article. Maybe Sipple has some inside info I don’t know. It sure sounds like Frost is going to have to do some re-recruiting as there is a lot of smoke around him transferring.
Lol. There's no smoke about Luke. ONE poster started a thread on the RSS and somebody on here saw the thread title and started speculating.

Lol. There's no smoke about Luke. ONE poster started a thread on the RSS and somebody on here saw the thread title and started speculating.
Interesting take.......pretty sure that Sipple even acknowledged the rumor himself just yesterday. Oh yea, and if you listen to 1620 they addressed LM transferring on their show as well.

Believe what you'd like, however wrong that may be.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Interesting take.......pretty sure that Sipple even acknowledged the rumor himself just yesterday. Oh yea, and if you listen to 1620 they addressed LM transferring on their show as well.

Believe what you'd like, however wrong that may be.
ALL of those guys peruse message boards looking for something to talk about in their show or in Sipple's case to write about in his column. All it takes is one guy starting a rumor and half the board posters start hyperventilating. I've seen ZERO credible sources that Luke is considering leaving. but you go ahead and believe whatever you would like, however wrong that may be.

ALL of those guys peruse message boards looking for something to talk about in their show or in Sipple's case to write about in his column. All it takes is one guy starting a rumor and half the board posters start hyperventilating. I've seen ZERO credible sources that Luke is considering leaving. but you go ahead and believe whatever you would like, however wrong that may be.
Right back at you - how about you provide one credible source that says this is all completely made-up and just some stupid rumor on a message board?

I'm going to believe there's actually something to this rumor when A) the main reporter for the Huskers writes/tweets about it and B) the main Husker sports talk show actually discusses it on the radio.

It's unbelievable how arrogant you are.

Right back at you - how about you provide one credible source that says this is all completely made-up and just some stupid rumor on a message board?

I'm going to believe there's actually something to this rumor when A) the main reporter for the Huskers writes/tweets about it and B) the main Husker sports talk show actually discusses it on the radio.

The "main reporter" for the Journalstar said he thinks he's coming back. Sipple acknowledged THAT SOMEBODY WAS SPECULATING ABOUT IT ON A MESSAGE BOARD. He did not confirm that Luke was thinking about transferring.

After spring ball I think we'll have a much better idea about McCaffrey, unless he's already been approached about potentially changing positions which I don't think anyone outside the program really knows, there is no reason for him to be looking to get out. He's still has the spring to compete with Martinez for the starting job. If after spring it's apparent they want him at another position or Smothers were to pass him that is when I think his status at NU going forward would be a big question.

the burden of proof is on the accuser, not the accused.

this is still America, damnit!

After spring ball I think we'll have a much better idea about McCaffrey, unless he's already been approached about potentially changing positions which I don't think anyone outside the program really knows, there is no reason for him to be looking to get out. He's still has the spring to compete with Martinez for the starting job. If after spring it's apparent they want him at another position or Smothers were to pass him that is when I think his status at NU going forward would be a big question.
IF he gets jumped by Smothers in the spring then I could see it. I don't think he goes anywhere right now. Haarberg poses no threat to him. Luke is one hit away from starting 10 games next fall for Nebraska. The whole stinking roster is at risk of transferring until we're in class next fall the way the transfer portal is set up now. Kind of crazy.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I disagree! If he is a competitor, I would think he wouldn't like the idea of being the second McCaffery to transfer. It's not always a bed of Rose's out there. I dont know where Dylan ended up, but I wasnt aware that tons of schools were clamoring for him. And as Michigans year turned out Dylan might have got a chance.
I like your qualification "if he is a competitor". To be seen.

He is not going to seat Martinez, that’s a given. Maybe he’ll improve on his passing but I’m not counting on it. I’d think that we’ll know soon if he leaves or not (or if he’s even considering leaving).

And if this is a rumor then why hasn’t he come out and squashed it?

He is not going to seat Martinez, that’s a given. Maybe he’ll improve on his passing but I’m not counting on it. I’d think that we’ll know soon if he leaves or not (or if he’s even considering leaving).
I agree he won't and doesn't really have a chance to, I'm just thinking Frost will make it seem like every qb has a fair chance of winning the job even though that's not actually true. I'd think he'd wait until it was a certainty he wasn't going to be a qb here until he left but he could enter the portal tomorrow and it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think the issues that I saw with McCaffrey are fixable with coaching. You can coach a player to go through progressions, etc but not have a strong, accurate arm. He's a great athlete that could play in the NFL as a receiver or DB. I think it would be in his best interest to move to a position where he can thrive long term and be drafted. If he insists on playing QB or transferring I think you would have to let him go.

I agree he won't and doesn't really have a chance to, I'm just thinking Frost will make it seem like every qb has a fair chance of winning the job even though that's not actually true. I'd think he'd wait until it was a certainty he wasn't going to be a qb here until he left but he could enter the portal tomorrow and it wouldn't surprise me.

I think Frost would give any QB a chance. He’s not married to AM being our QB, Luke started two games last year and he’s terrible.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
martinez will be the starter and Mccaffery will have spent 3 years here not doing much of anything. He probably needs to move on to a non P5 school where he could probably be a kick ass QB
I bet Alabama's QB is glad he didn't transfer.

Reactions: headcard
I've heard Luke's already got his cable hooked up in Lexington (Kentucky not Dawson county).

Some people are saying it on Reddit and there’s also a thread on RSS about it as well.

This would really suck, but I guess if he wants to be a D1 QB it won’t be here. He could be a killer slot receiver and return man :’(
It is all going to depend on how bad Luke wants to play qb. He has said a few times he came here to be a QB. IMO I don't think he will ever be the starter here. I do think he can have massive success taking on the Wandale roll. Maybe even better, because Wandale wasn't particularly fast. Luke is one of if not the fastest on the team. If we can find a QB who can throw, Luke could be very special.
Now if his only goal is to be a QB I think he will end up having to transfer to a low level D1 type school. He needs to realize he isn't getting to the NFL being a QB. He could as a WR.

How is it not true that every QB has a fair chance of winning the job? Frost has benched AM before, if another QB was better, Frost has shown that he will play him.

This is true.. we saw a lot of hyperventilating when it was rumor that Wandale was going to transfer. Then when he actually did, people were sort of over it already.

How is it not true that every QB has a fair chance of winning the job? Frost has benched AM before, if another QB was better, Frost has shown that he will play him.
I don't think every qb has a fair chance, I think Luke had a fair chance and showed he wasn't ready, Smothers is either really far away or didn't have a chance of playing based on last year not getting any snaps despite the other two qb's being a complete mess at times. You're right he's not married to Martinez and if a guy is better I do think he'd go to him since he has shown he will, but I also think he saw Luke is more limited then Martinez and I don't think those limitations are going to be improved enough for him to unseat Martinez.

dt190612.gif

the prevailing opinion of the peanut gallery seems to be that Luke (1-1 as a starting QB, completed 63.2% of passes) has no business leading the team at that position.

I disagree, mostly because you idiots are never right about anything.
This is how I feel.

I would have kept Luke the starter, even if his passing is not as good as AM. I think his competitive spirit and leadership would over time, be a positive change for the offensive side of the ball. The longer you leave the other guy in there, the more things won't ever change. I would absolutely continue to start Luke over AM any day of the week. Now if the Smothers kid is better, then that is a different discussion.

This is how I feel.

I would have kept Luke the starter, even if his passing is not as good as AM. I think his competitive spirit and leadership would over time, be a positive change for the offensive side of the ball. The longer you leave the other guy in there, the more things won't ever change. I would absolutely continue to start Luke over AM any day of the week. Now if the Smothers kid is better, then that is a different discussion.

Agreed. LM should of stayed the starter.

This is how I feel.

Agreed. LM should of stayed the starter.
I agree, as well, if for no other reason than this:

Luke as starter: 1-1, beat penn st, lost to illinois

AM following his benching: 2-2, beat purdue/rutgers, lost to iowa/mn

people on here have convinced themselves AM gives us the 'best chance to win', while actual results point to a very different reality. AM is the losingest QB in Nebraska history already, and still has 2 more seasons to pad that ominous distinction.

Bamas QB can actually throw a pass. He also was behind a couple of NFL QB and will make the league himself.
I understand that, just saying just because Adrian is ahead of him and there's talent behind him didn't mean he can't have a successful junior/senior year. Him transferring now doesn't make sense at all. He also doesn’t seem like a quitter.

LOL. are you actually comparing Mac Jones at Bama with LM at NEB? they aren't even close to the same QBs and they aren't even close to the same programs.
LOL....no.

Bama's QB was considered a holdover/transition player. But he worked hard and had a great Sr season. Luke can do the same. Will he win a title? Probably not.

Last edited:

people on here have convinced themselves AM gives us the 'best chance to win', while actual results point to a very different reality. AM is the losingest QB in Nebraska history already, and still has 2 more seasons to pad that ominous distinction.
I think honestly the Stockholm Syndrome people have contracted from AM is best explained this way:

a .500 record, with wins against purdue and rutgers, actually exceeds expectations for AM while a .500 record for any other QB is a drastic underperformance since we're, you know, Nebraska.

Luke had one TD on a glorified handoff and threw 6 picks. He played poorly against PSU and was terrible against a bad Illinois D. We desperately need to improve at the QB position, but Luke isn't the answer unless we start running the option.

I don't think every qb has a fair chance, I think Luke had a fair chance and showed he wasn't ready, Smothers is either really far away or didn't have a chance of playing based on last year not getting any snaps despite the other two qb's being a complete mess at times. You're right he's not married to Martinez and if a guy is better I do think he'd go to him since he has shown he will, but I also think he saw Luke is more limited then Martinez and I don't think those limitations are going to be improved enough for him to unseat Martinez.
Wasn't Smothers recovering from an injury he suffered in High School which held him back? I think the plan was to get him totally healthy believing that the two in front of him should be able to handle the load.

Luke had one TD on a glorified handoff and threw 6 picks. He played poorly against PSU and was terrible against a bad Illinois D. We desperately need to improve at the QB position, but Luke isn't the answer unless we start running the option.
Luke and Adrian accounted for the same amount of turnovers in 2020.

Luke was responsible for the best win of the season, and the worst loss.

we should have ridden him out, since AM's performance was, predictably, exactly the same over the last 4 games as it had been over the previous 16.

This is true.. we saw a lot of hyperventilating when it was rumor that Wandale was going to transfer. Then when he actually did, people were sort of over it already.
Wandale had more credible reports that he was considering leaving and given his history first during recruitment and then after the season last year, I don't think anybody was all that surprised to hear that he might leave. My attitude is that I'll wait until I see a credible source actually predict or report it based on factual information. I've seen absolutely nothing credible that Luke is considering leaving. I will say this though, with today's transfer climate I have to believe that a large percentage of kids with talent who aren't at the top of the depth chart probably have leaving at least enter their mind.

Reactions: Baxter48
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT