ADVERTISEMENT

LJS: Alvarado set to become Huskers' Friday night starter; Luensmann out with arm injury

saluno22

Defensive Coordinator
Mar 1, 2006
Who thought the first preseason article wouldn't be about Alvarado? Yeah, me neither.

Whoa, Alvarado will playing 1B and DH when not pitching, not in the OF.

Hohensee likely headed back to the bullpen. Potential closer, also Matt Waldron and Robbie Palkert are in that conversation. No mention of Eddins.

Curry sidelined again, this time with an arm injury.

Also, Luensmann was being considered for a starting role before deciding to have surgery for an injury sustained last summer.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_5d4599f3-756a-5024-9f0c-cee6f4bd0103.html

Reactions: sklarbodds
I, too, was a bit surprised to read Alvarado will be playing first base. I would expect, then, Schreiber in right field and Mojo in center or left. Who is in line to be the third regular outfielder? And at first base when Alvarado is pitching or in the DH spot?

(Yes, I just asked, “Who’s on first?”)

Reactions: gunNrun and k9_r
I, too, was a bit surprised to read Alvarado will be playing first base. I would expect, then, Schreiber in right field and Mojo in center or left. Who is in line to be the third regular outfielder? And at first base when Alvarado is pitching or in the DH spot?

(Yes, I just asked, “Who’s on first?”)
I'm guessing Acker will be the 3rd regular OF. He got quite a bit of time last year in mop-up or other fill-in duty as a true freshman (15 GP, 3 GS, but just 0.154 BA (2 for 13)).

When Alvarado is pitching...
Maybe Schreiber to 1B and one of the freshman in RF (Addante, Cross, Hallmark, Sorenson, Watson), one of the juniors (Hakel, Johnson), or Repinksi (though he is a prime PR candidate, so may want to keep his legs available on the bench to insert late in the game)?
Maybe Roskam to 1B and Mike Waldron, Jeff Athey, or Altavilla (bringing in Luckey or Henwood for middle INF) to 3B?
Mike Waldron or Jeff Athey at 1B?
Maybe Ben Klenke fills in somewhere?

Just looking at the roster for options, I have no special info.

I was able to get some insight that the goal is Cronenbold at SS, Altavilla at 3rd, and Roskam to DH. Of course that is all assuming health and being able to hit. The 3rd outfielder and 2nd base is still undecided but they feel confident someone will step up. Keep an eye on Hallmark who can technically play either.

That's not going to be a lot of power on the corners between Altavilla and Alvarado.

That's not going to be a lot of power on the corners between Altavilla and Alvarado.
Yep, That’s what I thought. We also don’t have a ton of power in general I guess. Roskam and Schreiber will always be in the lineup and I think that is why they want Hallmark involved in some way. Erstad has always focused on the on base percentage more it seems.

I’m really interested in the progression Wilkening makes at the plate this year as well.

Reactions: saluno22
Is Luis to 1st base better for his arm than CF? I know that Erstad spoke concerns about Jake Meyers taking his pitching arm to CF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT