ADVERTISEMENT

Linebackers Exposed?

ShowMe HuskerFan

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2017
I keep reading how many times the CU tight ends are targeted this year. I feel our linebackers may be a weakness in terms of depth. Does anyone else see this as a problem area for Saturday?

I would not be surprised to see a healthy dose of a 3-3-5 this weekend. With Alex Davis spending most of his time rushing the passer, JoJo or Tannor in the game, and a rotation in the middle of Miller, Honas and Berry and 5 DBs depending on who is healthy and practiced well.

I think we can stop the rush with that front 6, and cover the TE and RB in the passing game.

From only one game, it appears that would be a weakness. USA isolated Barry on pass coverage and got beat big time. The one thing about Chins D that always makes me scratch my head is how many times the middle of the field is open.

If Tuco is right and I think he is onto something, that should help in the passing game. But when you gain in one area, you give up something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan66
I would not be surprised to see a healthy dose of a 3-3-5 this weekend. With Alex Davis spending most of his time rushing the passer, JoJo or Tannor in the game, and a rotation in the middle of Miller, Honas and Berry and 5 DBs depending on who is healthy and practiced well.

I think we can stop the rush with that front 6, and cover the TE and RB in the passing game.
Our linebackers are rather weak in coverage and don't do a very good job at getting depth and when there's no short routes in front of them they're just standing in no man's land. I also noticed a lot where it seemed like the linebackers and defensive backs weren't on the same page at all.

I keep reading how many times the CU tight ends are targeted this year. I feel our linebackers may be a weakness in terms of depth. Does anyone else see this as a problem area for Saturday?
Tannor is a huge weakness. I wouldn't even be comfortable with him out there as a backup, let alone a starter. The rest of the linebackers that played are at least serviceable. The MLB position isn't as scary thin at depth with their 3 man rotation as the Domann-Tannor OLB position is.

Sounds like the old-fashioned "prevent defense" or, in this case, the "don't-allow-the-wide-outs-especially-Shenault-get-behind-you" defense.

Sounds like a basic nickel package with Davis/ Ferguson used to rush the passer and not used in coverage.

Domann is probably the best cover LB on the team. Then you get 5 DBs to cover the rest of the receivers.

I agree that our linebackers are bad in coverage, except Domann who is mediocre. We are full of run stuffing backers. They can make hits on extremely shallow routes but running with someone in the middle of the field they cannot handle. Wouldn’t mind the 3-3-5 on Saturday. I’d like to think our D-line can handle their run game at this point.

I agree that our linebackers are bad in coverage, except Domann who is mediocre. We are full of run stuffing backers. They can make hits on extremely shallow routes but running with someone in the middle of the field they cannot handle. Wouldn’t mind the 3-3-5 on Saturday. I’d like to think our D-line can handle their run game at this point.

Uh oh better not let Colorado see this thread. Wait till they get a load of our center.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Sounds like a basic nickel package with Davis/ Ferguson used to rush the passer and not used in coverage.

Domann is probably the best cover LB on the team. Then you get 5 DBs to cover the rest of the receivers.
Whatever they do, our corners are going to have to always have safety help on over the top on their big WR. Can't let him beat us again.

Reactions: SC_'sker
DE-C. Davis
NG- Darrion .Daniels
DE- K. Davis
OLB- A. Davis/ C. Tannor, if dropping 7 in Pass coverage
MLB- C. Miller
OLB- JJ. Domann
CB- D. Bootle
CB- L. Jackson
S. E. Lee
S. M, Dismuke
Cinco- C. Taylor- Brit
Technically you could rush 4 or 5 and defend the pass with 7 or 6 out of a 3-3-5

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard

Their tightends collectively run a 10.9 forty. CU never used the tight ends last season and CSU wasn't really prepared to defend them. Nebraska will need to be cognizant of the tight ends, but those guys are marginal athletes and won't create any mismatch for the Huskers.

DE-C. Davis
NG- Darrion .Daniels
DE- K. Davis
OLB- A. Davis/ C. Tannor, if dropping 7 in Pass coverage
MLB- C. Miller
OLB- JJ. Domann
CB- D. Bootle
CB- L. Jackson
S. E. Lee
S. M, Dismuke
Cinco- C. Taylor- Brit
Technically you could rush 4 or 5 and defend the pass with 7 or 6 out of a 3-3-5
No Mo? I could see this lineup, but with Barry at MLB, if for nothing else, his leadership and physicality in the middle

No Mo? I could see this lineup, but with Barry at MLB, if for nothing else, his leadership and physicality in the middle
MO has not been very good in the pass coverage department. I love his fire and passion but he needs to work extensively on his pass coverage skills.

Reactions: Richard N. Toze
If CU is anything like the Buffs of old, every player on the team runs a legit 4.19 40-time.

Linebackers generally do struggle to cover. It's a goal of most offenses to find the linebackers coverage responsibilities, in any given defense, and expose them.

Linebackers generally do struggle to cover. It's a goal of most offenses to find the linebackers coverage responsibilities, in any given defense, and expose them.
Not good linebackers. With as much as teams pass nowadays, linebackers have to be good in coverage. It seems like our linebackers are always selling out to stop the run and react slow to a pass play. Even when they do react on time, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of urgency to get to their coverage assignments.

Tannor is a huge weakness. I wouldn't even be comfortable with him out there as a backup, let alone a starter. The rest of the linebackers that played are at least serviceable. The MLB position isn't as scary thin at depth with their 3 man rotation as the Domann-Tannor OLB position is.

Disagree on Tannor being a huge weakness. He’s still young and learning but Him and Domann are our fastest LBs on the field. His speed alone will help a bunch when playing a fast team like Colorado. As the season progresses and the more he plays, the better he will get. Georgia wanted him as a DE because of his speed and pass rushing skills.

Reactions: pahusker139
Disagree on Tannor being a huge weakness. He’s still young and learning but Him and Domann are our fastest LBs on the field. His speed alone will help a bunch when playing a fast team like Colorado. As the season progresses and the more he plays, the better he will get. Georgia wanted him as a DE because of his speed and pass rushing skills.
Yeah, straight line speed is about all he has. He looks lost on about half the plays I've seen him. He's not physical and gets pushed around easily. He's definitely not ready this year, if he ever will be. Just another Guy Thomas at this point.

Yeah, straight line speed is about all he has. He looks lost on about half the plays I've seen him. He's not physical and gets pushed around easily. He's definitely not ready this year, if he ever will be. Just another Guy Thomas at this point.

I’ll say this, yep, you can tell he’s still young and learning. He makes mistakes a true sophomore would and do. But if he was as bad as your making him out to be, Frost and Chin wouldn’t have him co-starter at OLB along with Domann. He’s got the talent and speed to make him a good one. Even MonBarry has bragged him up in interviews. He just needs game time experience. Let’s see how he progresses over the 2019 season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT