ADVERTISEMENT

Linebacker play

What have you seen from Tannor that makes you think he is going to be good? He looks the part, but until he proves it on the field he is a pretty big bust.

read my post right above this one of yours. That’s all I’m touching with Tannor until I see what Dawson does with him. OLB play as a unit has been horrible the past couple years and that’s including Tannor as a true freshman and a true sophomore last year so yes, I’m chalking some of that up as bad position coaching. I wish they would have redshirted him his true freshman year because he wasn’t ready by any stretch yet.

Better yet, this is what I said and feel is fair...... “I’m not even going to defend Tannor, he’s a hell of an athlete and the fastest LB we have and he’s got talent, it’s there but for some reason it’s like he can’t get it together mentally and/or play disciplined defense. I will however wait and see if Dawson can get him on track. Coach Dawson was very vocal about laying a challenge out for Tannor to elevate his game. For his sake, I hope Caleb Tannor explodes this year.” If he doesn’t, I agree, he’s been a bust so far...the 2 years he’s been here.

Last edited:
I think this position group has been the worst part of the team the last few years. People complain about the defensive line play, but all of them are in the NFL from last year.

Ruud needs to put up this year or go away. Why will the linebackers be better this season?

I agree about Ruud, he has been a huge disappointment coaching wise and less than average recruiting wise. We got the bodies now, please coach them up or get lost.

I agree about Ruud, he has been a huge disappointment coaching wise and less than average recruiting wise. We got the bodies now, please coach them up or get lost.

actually recruiting wise he’s done fairly well. He’s brought in several 4 star players. But coaching, that’s a different story. LB coaching (OLB and ILB) all together has been bad.

Reactions: red scowl
The names are fun to banter about, but what I'm waiting for is to be convinced that I like the 3-4 defense. Because, so far I hate it. If we have zero pass rush this year as usual, I'm probably going to be less concerned about the names than I am the scheme.

Reactions: red scowl
The names are fun to banter about, but what I'm waiting for is to be convinced that I like the 3-4 defense. Because, so far I hate it. If we have zero pass rush this year as usual, I'm probably going to be less concerned about the names than I am the scheme.

I get that, but then I watch Wisconsin's defense and their linebackers, If Nebraska could play like that, I think that would make the scheme debate moot.

IMO a good defense comes from a good D coordinator. Positional coaches are there to recruit and they help but overall Chin hasn't cut it. Time to show up. I think we are better suited for a 4-3 but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Have to stop your opponents and stop getting run over.

IMO a good defense comes from a good D coordinator. Positional coaches are there to recruit and they help but overall Chin hasn't cut it. Time to show up. I think we are better suited for a 4-3 but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Have to stop your opponents and stop getting run over.

I agree that the DC has to have a good plan, but positional coaches can make a huge difference in making sure players are doing what they are supposed to be doing, in the right positions, teaching finer points of general techniques etc.

Why are we better suited for a 4-3? If this staff is recruiting players that are better suited for a 4-3 that is a huge problem. I would say close to 85% or more of this roster was recruited by the current staff.

I’ll only add that none? of our LBs have more than a year or two of playing experience in 3/4 scheme at the position they’re currently at. Add Honas coming off injury, something Ruud admitted may have limited his potential last year, and I’ll take the wait and see approach.
I’m not sold they have it just yet, but I also like this group’s potential a bit more than what we’ve had recently.
While many elite players can flash early in their careers, it’ll be interesting to see how our guys can “develop.”

However, if it takes more than two years to learn the job, maybe you’re doing something wrong.

I agree that the DC has to have a good plan, but positional coaches can make a huge difference in making sure players are doing what they are supposed to be doing, in the right positions, teaching finer points of general techniques etc.

Why are we better suited for a 4-3? If this staff is recruiting players that are better suited for a 4-3 that is a huge problem. I would say close to 85% or more of this roster was recruited by the current staff.

I'll start by saying IDC if we ran a 3-3-5 as long as we have a good defense...but I just think Midwest recruiting you can find a lot more DEs/DL who fit a 4-3 scheme compared to a 3-4...also think it can be more challenging to find an OLB who can get to the QB.

I'll start by saying IDC if we ran a 3-3-5 as long as we have a good defense...but I just think Midwest recruiting you can find a lot more DEs/DL who fit a 4-3 scheme compared to a 3-4...also think it can be more challenging to find an OLB who can get to the QB.

Wisconsin changed from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense in 2013
they finished 6-2 in the conference that year behind 8-0 Ohio State and had the 6th ranked defense nationally

from 2014 on they have won the division 4 of the last 6 years running a 3-4 defense

you can win with either scheme - it is a coaching and talent issue

because talent acquisition (recruiting) and development is the coaches responsibility - it is ultimately a coaching issue

Last edited:
I personally think a lot of the unease with the defense or DC has to do with the change in scheme.

We could easily play an old school reactionary defense and hold opponents to fewer points. We would get less turnovers and fewer opportunities for the offense, but the offense has sucked anyway, so those additional opportunities didn't amount to anything. All it did was allow big plays against us and we end up getting into shootouts with a broken offense.. (not real smart).

So Frost either has to make his system work (he's got a couple more years to try) or he has to go back to Tom's playbook and recreate the formula that we know works at Nebraska. Even Bo sort of half assed, followed it and never won less than 9.

I don't have the angst most of you have for Chins, because he is doing what coach is asking him to do. If you have a beef with that, then I think your beef is really with Frost and his scheme.

Wisconsin changed from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense in 2013
they finished 6-2 in the conference that year behind 8-0 Ohio State and had the 6th ranked defense nationally

from 2014 on they have won the division 4 of the last 6 years running a 3-4 defense

you can win with either scheme - it is a coaching and talent issue

because talent acquisition (recruiting) and development is the coaches responsibility - it is ultimately a coaching issue
kindly remind everyone how many times in that stretch they've won the conference (zero) while you're at it.

they've also never beaten ohio state in that time frame. in 2014, the year after you list their achievement in finishing second behind ohio state, the buckeyes beat them and their new scheme 59-0 in the B1G title game.

they've won 2 new years day bowl games, one over #15 ranked western michigan.

it's one thing to win a division that's often argued to be among the worst in all of the P5 4 of 6 years. it's quite another to be a real playoff contender.

once again, your choice to frame these statistics in a misleading manner directly reflects your intentions.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
kindly remind everyone how many times in that stretch they've won the conference (zero) while you're at it.

they've also never beaten ohio state in that time frame. in 2014, the year after you list their achievement in finishing second behind ohio state, the buckeyes beat them and their new scheme 59-0 in the B1G title game.

they've won 2 new years day bowl games, one over #15 ranked western michigan.

it's one thing to win a division that's often argued to be among the worst in all of the P5 4 of 6 years. it's quite another to be a real playoff contender.

once again, your choice to frame these statistics in a misleading manner directly reflects your intentions.

I will worry about beating OSU when Neb can actually manage to win their own division or even finish in the top 3 for that matter

now if you want to say Wisconsin's results are not good enough for Frost and company then am happy to oblige

so results that aren't good enough -- win division > 50% of the time and average > 10 wins per season since Neb joined the conference

happy to to keep these inferior results in mind when discussing Neb results in the coming years

I will worry about beating OSU when Neb can actually manage to win their own division or even finish in the top 3 for that matter

now if you want to say Wisconsin's results are not good enough for Frost and company then am happy to oblige

so results that aren't good enough -- win division > 50% of the time and average > 10 wins per season since Neb joined the conference

happy to to keep these inferior results in mind when discussing results in the coming years
what happened to 'we'? it's all Neb this, Neb that since you saw the hat Fidone wore when announcing his commitment.

you must really crack 'em up at the ol' nurse's station with that understated wit, friend. just nonstop knee slappers from this guy!

what happened to 'we'? it's all Neb this, Neb that since you saw the hat Fidone wore when announcing his commitment.

you must really crack 'em up at the ol' nurse's station with that understated wit, friend. just nonstop knee slappers from this guy!

I think you are misunderstanding - you have actually convinced me with your argument when you compared Wisconsin and OSU

Wisconsin results is setting the bar too low - Neb should expect OSU-type results - otherwise the Frost experiment is a failure

we are in agreement - it is nice to be on the same side for once

cheers

I think you are misunderstanding - you have actually convinced me with your argument when you compared Wisconsin and OSU

Wisconsin results is setting the bar too low - Neb should expect OSU-type results - otherwise the Frost experiment is a failure

we are in agreement - it is nice to be on the same side for once

cheers
I promise it's not me who's misunderstanding. I just ball your posts up and throw them in the trash where they belong.

why the 'Neb' stuff? it's the hat, isn't it. every post since the hat, you've said 'Neb', except one, which you said 'we'.

the passive aggressive has never been stronger.

I promise it's not me who's misunderstanding. I just ball your posts up and throw them in the trash where they belong.

why the 'Neb' stuff? it's the hat, isn't it. every post since the

It appears that the syntax of my postings has negatively impacted your well being

deepest apologies

Perhaps rivals could come up with a trigger warning feature so you could feel a little safer while browsing the board

Best wishes

• Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
It appears that the syntax of my postings has negatively impacted your well being

deepest apologies

Perhaps rivals could come up with a trigger warning feature so you could feel a little safer while browsing the board

Best wishes
the passive aggressiveness tropical storm appears to be heading for warm piss & vinegar. I expect it to upgrade to a category 2 passive aggressiveness hurricane by landfall Oct 24th at 11am.

people who take themselves as seriously as you do are just hilarious to make fun of.

syntax!! please never stop. it's too good. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

live look at the moment before @jlb321 logs on to post:

tenor.gif

What they are really doing with Payne is playing a 4-3. That's the way I see it. He's an edge rusher, that's his specialty.

I personally think a lot of the unease with the defense or DC has to do with the change in scheme.

We could easily play an old school reactionary defense and hold opponents to fewer points. We would get less turnovers and fewer opportunities for the offense, but the offense has sucked anyway, so those additional opportunities didn't amount to anything. All it did was allow big plays against us and we end up getting into shootouts with a broken offense.. (not real smart).

So Frost either has to make his system work (he's got a couple more years to try) or he has to go back to Tom's playbook and recreate the formula that we know works at Nebraska. Even Bo sort of half assed, followed it and never won less than 9.

I don't have the angst most of you have for Chins, because he is doing what coach is asking him to do. If you have a beef with that, then I think your beef is really with Frost and his scheme.
Turnovers come as a result of good defense, not the other way around. I think it's dumb to rely on creating turnovers as your main defensive strategy as you never know when or how they're going to come about. But if I was going to rely on the defense to get turnovers, I'd at least get some corners who could turn their heads and look for the ball and some linebackers who can hit like a brick shithouse. In year 3, it's still very likely we don't have the kind of players to do that, so I'd settle for some good, sound defense.

What they are really doing with Payne is playing a 4-3. That's the way I see it. He's an edge rusher, that's his specialty.
Like I said earlier, that weakside OLB position is basically just a 4-3 DE. We're in over or under fronts 90%+ of the time meaning that OLB is on the line pass rushing or in run support the vast majority of the time. Very rarely do we ask them to cover. It's also why it's easy for a 220 lbs OLB in Tannor to get abused on the line on running plays.

I’m with you on that. A few gave me hell when I said this but our DLine play hasn’t been bad, it’s been our LB play that’s been bad. Can B Ruud and M Dawson get our boys focused in, ready to rock and make some players this year and on....?

OLBs: Jojo Domann is an all conference type talent, Caleb Tannor and G Nelson both have potential and hopefully Dawson can get the most out of them. Jackson Hannah has since moved to OLB and was a former 4 star LB from Tennessee and we have a number of new faces that could step up (Niko Cooper, B Gunnerson, J Butler and so on)....

ILBs: we return W Honas and Collin Miller. Both are ok to manageable ILBs and hopefully will improve some this year. Nick Henrichs is our future at ILB and he was already pushing for playing time as a true freshman. Now that he’s 100% and even bigger, look for him to make some moves. Then we have Mauga-Clements, G Snodgrass and Luke Reimers, we have some options there.
I'm so tired of hearing about Colin Miller. For years it's been how he dominated the scout team, great in practice, yet looks like a MAC level player, at best.

Caleb Tannor literally looks like he weighs 185lbs. One of the most disappointing hyped players here in quite some time.

I'm so tired of hearing about Colin Miller. For years it's been how he dominated the scout team, great in practice, yet looks like a MAC level player, at best.

Caleb Tannor literally looks like he weighs 185lbs. One of the most disappointing hyped players here in quite some time.
Ok then, just ignore the parts about Collin Miller then. All I said was him and Honas was ok to serviceable (manageable was my wording). I even said I hope Nick Henrichs jumps one of the two.

Reactions: Hugo_Stiglitz7
Like I said earlier, that weakside OLB position is basically just a 4-3 DE. We're in over or under fronts 90%+ of the time meaning that OLB is on the line pass rushing or in run support the vast majority of the time. Very rarely do we ask them to cover. It's also why it's easy for a 220 lbs OLB in Tannor to get abused on the line on running plays.

Yah, I missed that. I appreciate your post as that specifically fills in some gaps in my understanding about our OLB's.

Reactions: oldjar07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT