Garrett Nelson
Jackson Hannah
Damian Jackson
Jamin Graham
Niko Cooper
Jimari Butler
Blaise Gunnerson
milk carton: David Alston

We know we need LBs to step it up this year.
Can this group get it done?
Can the young/new guys be ready to play at a high level?

I would assess things with the obvious: “plenty of potential, but a lot to prove.”

IMO, if Ruud and Dawson can't field a legit LB corps with these players then there's a serious problem. Dawson will get a pass as it's his first year coaching LB's here, but it's time Ruud earns his paycheck.

You’re correct it’s the coaches job to get guys ready. Ruud hasn’t had many options at ILB with this year being his deepest unit probably- and still only two guys with significant experience.

Domann was hyped up for his football intelligence at safety as a young player, but Chinander said he needs to work on staying disciplined. Hopefully he’s learned how to play OLB better with more time at the spot cus he’s always been a playmaker for us.
Caleb Tannor is a junior now and needs to play like a veteran.
Colin Miller is finally settled after landing at his 3rd position since coming to Lincoln.
Honas looked like a beast at JUCO, but after injury, he hasn’t popped yet.
Those are our most experienced guys, and there’s still maybe a question as to whether they can excel athletically, so there’s opportunity for newcomers to step in. It’s one of the most difficult positions to learn, which concerns me with so many inexperienced guys.

Final thought- Garrett Nelson will not tolerate sub-par effort from his teammates. He can be an invaluable asset simply to motivate guys, light a fire and push them. Now that he’s got some experience, I think he’ll be more comfortable holding others accountable.

Reactions: bshirt73
IMO, if Ruud and Dawson can't field a legit LB corps with these players then there's a serious problem. Dawson will get a pass as it's his first year coaching LB's here, but it's time Ruud earns his paycheck.
Agree Ruud could be the prime example of excellent player, but horrible teacher. Will see.

Random anecdote, but I ran into Henrich and Reimer a couple weeks ago and the two guys look like an older brother, younger brother when compared to each other with Reimer looking much more put together. Lavante David was a smaller LB, so take that for what you may, but I'm just saying.

That being said (random prediction), I expect EMC and Reimer to be the guys that make our LB corps look much improved this year. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them is starting before the season's over.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I sure hope so. I really like what he brings. Coach Ruud said he’s a guy you can count on for going fast and with full effort.
I think the mental game will be a big obstacle, especially since he’s new to LB.

that’s exactly it too, if he can get past that and get the play book and scheme down, he will definitely see the field in some way. Dude has to much speed, talent and he’s a pure tackling machine not too.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Agree Ruud could be the prime example of excellent player, but horrible teacher. Will see.

This is a pretty ignorant take. Let's rehash what Barrett Ruud walked into at Nebraska:

ILB - Mo Barry - recruited as a 4-3 inside LB with marginal coverage skills
ILB - Dedrick Young- recruited as a 4-3 SAM LB with awful pursuit skills vs. The run.
ILB- Colin Miller - recruited as a WILL with decent coverage ability, but average in pursuit.

This is what he was left with. Avery quit trying in Spring ball and made it clear he was leaving. The rest of the LB room sucked with dudes who weren't even Power 5 caliber athletes.

He had 30 days to recruit after his hiring and targeted the only 4 Star Juco player available:

Will Honas.

Honas breaks a leg early in 2018 so Nebraska is basically stuck with only 3 inside linebackers in the 3-4 scheme. That's the worst depth in the Big Ten.

Going into 2019, Ruud signs and targets three true freshmen, including two 4 stars. The best of the group, Henrich, suffers a bad off season injury which halts his time in the weight room and development.

The other two need to redshirt. In the meantime, he was instrumental in helping get young walk ons like Reimer and Joey Johnson to see the field to help with depth, but no one brings that up.

By the 3rd recruiting class, he helps completely reinvent the linebacker room. A position group that had the Big Ten's least amount of Power 5 level scholarship talent in 2017 and 18 is now one of the strongest on the roster.

Here's the ILB 3 Deep IMO:

Will Honas, Heinrich, Joey Johnson
Miller, Reimer, Schlager

I believe Mauga and Greene will both shift inside and outside and be used in specific packages.

Going to hopefully be fun to watch. No offense to any of those guys, but I don't really see an all conference type of candidate anywhere on that list. Maybe Domann on an honorable mention or 3rd team.

I really thought that Honas and Miller had poor years last year and I hate to say it but I don't really expect much more out of them this year. The group is going to have a new DL in front of them this year and that probably mean more traffic to try and get through to make tackles. Going to be another rough season for the defense I am afraid.

This is a pretty ignorant take. Let's rehash what Barrett Ruud walked into at Nebraska:

ILB - Mo Barry - recruited as a 4-3 inside LB with marginal coverage skills
ILB - Dedrick Young- recruited as a 4-3 SAM LB with awful pursuit skills vs. The run.
ILB- Colin Miller - recruited as a WILL with decent coverage ability, but average in pursuit.

This is what he was left with. Avery quit trying in Spring ball and made it clear he was leaving. The rest of the LB room sucked with dudes who weren't even Power 5 caliber athletes.

He had 30 days to recruit after his hiring and targeted the only 4 Star Juco player available:

Will Honas.

Honas breaks a leg early in 2018 so Nebraska is basically stuck with only 3 inside linebackers in the 3-4 scheme. That's the worst depth in the Big Ten.

Going into 2019, Ruud signs and targets three true freshmen, including two 4 stars. The best of the group, Henrich, suffers a bad off season injury which halts his time in the weight room and development.

The other two need to redshirt. In the meantime, he was instrumental in helping get young walk ons like Reimer and Joey Johnson to see the field to help with depth, but no one brings that up.

By the 3rd recruiting class, he helps completely reinvent the linebacker room. A position group that had the Big Ten's least amount of Power 5 level scholarship talent in 2017 and 18 is now one of the strongest on the roster.

Here's the ILB 3 Deep IMO:

Will Honas, Heinrich, Joey Johnson
Miller, Reimer, Schlager

I believe Mauga and Greene will both shift inside and outside and be used in specific packages.

One clarification: Colin Miller was recruited to play DE in 4-3 and was scout team mvp as a DE.

Ruud definitely has had a challenge to rebuild the room. The next year or two will hopefully yield results.

ADVERTISEMENT