ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln mayor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think every single politician in favor of lockdowns should go without their pay check to. Fair is fair. I bet you'd see a lot different response if that were to happen.

Cut all discretionary spending from budgets and carve them down to bare bones too. Basically just fix roads like stated above. Amazing how fast the issue would solve itself

Why doesn’t Japan and Taiwan have big trouble with covid 19?
Japan and Taiwan have taken painstaking measures to control the spread of the virus, easing their social distancing restrictions in carefully planned phases. Good Lord man, you can't just keep clinging to the notion that Japan and Taiwan ain't done none o' that there social distancin' stuff and have it magically come true.

This week Japan finally resumed professional baseball with no more than 5,000 fans allowed in stadiums that seat 30 to 40K. Masks are required and yelling is banned - clapping and silent cheering only. But yeah, Japan just opened everything up with no restrictions - yew bet they did!

Ahh yes. Except, Japan is starting to spike. Inconvenient!

Premature victory laps should be your posting handle.

Laughing

you need to learn how to read a graph and not be so easily manipulated by changes in the size of the Y axis

Japan has a population of 126 million people and a daily case count of 400 you are referring to as a spike - the largest single day case count was less than 800

Florida has a population of 21 million and is reporting damn near 10,000 cases per day
put Japan on Florida's graph where the Y axis has to be expanded to 10,000 and 400 cases doesn't even show up

by the way Japan is taking this uptick seriously with case tracking, etc - meanwhile Disney is open in Florida

Japan has tested less than 500k people total during COVID.

Japan has the lowest rates of coronary heart disease and obesity in the developed world.

Japan either got smart or got lucky. The jury is still out on which.

(Source)

any of you "experts" care to weigh in here? curious how this fits the narrative.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
I understand what you're arguing, but it is flat out wrong. In a society that already discriminates against anyone who is not white and male, explicitly or implicitly, methods that seek to re-balance or correct for that are a good thing.

Chief Justice John Roberts championed a color-blind reading of the Constitution in Parents Involved v. Seattle (2007), arguing against desegregation: “The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.” <-- This, time and again, is shown to not be possible right now and probably won't be any time soon. It's a fantasy cooked up by the right to roll back progress on racism.

What you are actually arguing for is an elimination of these corrective measures and a re-affirmation of white supremacy.

You are a gift, and arguably the most fragile of all of the white. I mean, you are white, aren't you?

Laughing

you need to learn how to read a graph and not be so easily manipulated by changes in the size of the Y axis

Japan has a population of 126 million people and a daily case count of 400 you are referring to as a spike - there largest single day case count was less than 800

Florida has a population of 21 million and is reporting damn near 10,000 cases per day
put Japan on Florida's graph where the Y axis has to be expanded to 10,000 and 400 cases doesn't even show up

by the way Japan is taking this uptick seriously with case tracking, etc - meanwhile Disney is open in Florida
telling people to learn to read graphs while simultaneously being incapable of knowing which version of "their" to use is hilarious

telling people to learn to read graphs while simultaneously being incapable of knowing which version of "their" to use is hilarious

good one top gun -- go after the grammar that has absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed

it has been corrected - thanks - it is great I have a free editor on the board

good one top gun -- go after the grammar that has absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed

Japan has the lowest rates of coronary heart disease and obesity in the developed world.

thoughts, doc? testing that low surely puts new positives into context. or do I need to learn statistics, too?

how did that work for Texas and Florida? if u dont have it then keep doing what you are doing with very small reopening

i live in Texas... and I was able to keep my small business open. It’s a tricky AND difficult decision but what is good news is here in my county (large population) we’ve gone three days without a “COVID death”. You CANNOT open/close like a yo-yo and expect businesses to remain (and generate tax revenue), period.

thoughts, doc? testing that low surely puts new positives into context. or do I need to learn statistics, too?
We as a country are incredibly unhealthy to begin with...certainly wont help our cause fighting off a new virus

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

you think not having a high rate of CAD and obesity is luck?

you think not having a high rate of CAD and obesity is luck?
now who's picking things off topic to discuss?

that was a quote from the BBC, not my thoughts. curious how new positives, and general lack of testing, line up with the narrative.

Last edited:
i live in Texas... and I was able to keep my small business open. It’s a tricky AND difficult decision but what is good news is here in my county (large population) we’ve gone three days without a “COVID death”. You CANNOT open/close like a yo-yo and expect businesses to remain (and generate tax revenue), period.

Youu will find a very large percentage of people who want to shut everything down again have never owned or operated a small business and are completely out of touch with how hard it is when times are good, let alone during the Chinese aids....and then an even larger percentage haven't lost their job yet so it doesn't affect them, so what the heck.

Youu will find a very large percentage of people who want to shut everything down again have never owned or operated a small business and are completely out of touch with how hard it is when times are good, let alone during the Chinese aids....and then an even larger percentage haven't lost their job yet so it doesn't affect them, so what the heck.
Agree

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

I reply to your specific post above concerning CADz - obesity and luck with a statement about CADz-obesity and luck and you claim it is off topic?

(note the above statement is awaiting final editing by topgun/john j rambo prior to being finalized)

now who's picking things off topic to discuss?

that was a quote from the BBC, not my thoughts. curious how new positives, and general lack of testing, line up with the narrative.
The topic was the Lincoln Mayor was considering measures against establishments that were not following Gov Pete's covid guidelines. How did it get to this??

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I reply to your specific post above concerning CADz - obesity and luck with a statement about CADz-obesity and luck and you claim it is off topic?

(note the above statement is awaiting final editing by topgun/john j rambo prior to being finalized)
as I said, that's a quote, not my thoughts. your picking that out is exactly like someone correcting your grammar. it's neither here nor there when it comes to covid response.

the question had to do with lack of testing, new positives within that context (instead of comparing apples-to-apples with FL, which, of course, is meaningless) and the general stance Japan has been a success story when their dealings with the disease has been just as hit and miss as others'.

boy, do you have a tough time when challenged.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
4% obesity rate in Japan compared to 40% in the US

but, yea, wearing a mask + track and trace (while testing hardly anybody) is why they're having so much success

give me a break

The response to this pandemic as a country has been a ****ing disaster. Saying cases are spiking in states where their governors resisted or ignored prevention measures shows that prevention measures are important, particularly wearing masks, is simply a statement of fact (excluding large states like California that are seeing spikes for somewhat different reasons). Saying that "things are ok" in Wisconsin or Colorado is completely missing the point: a person can travel anywhere and behavior is not mandatory between states. Any person or people could bring spikes to those states in a matter of weeks, and likely will.

Without a vaccine, and/or without massive lockdowns and mandatory mask usage, this is just going to keep going.. Soon, schools are supposed to start again. I cannot wait to see all of the boot-licking chuds on this board try to rationalize school outbreaks, kids who get sick and might die, and dead teachers.

I keep saying this again and again: this virus does not care about your politics. Ignoring sound advice is going to continue to wreck this country and hurt people, physically, psychologically, and in their pocketbooks.

You are correct that the virus doesn't care about politics - but the politicians and media sure as heck do! That is the problem. They are the ones driving everything from a political perspective. Very few people, government agencies, independent groups, etc. have the courage these days to do what is right to manage the risk (there is no way to eliminate the risk completely).

Reactions: tdierberger
if anyone in charge or on here actually cared about outcomes, the talk would shift 100% to getting healthy and building your immune system instead of gaining more control over the lives of individuals

but, the narrative!

as I said, that's a quote, not my thoughts. your picking that out is exactly like someone correcting your grammar. it's neither here nor there when it comes to covid response.

the question had to do with lack of testing, new positives within that context (instead of comparing apples-to-apples with FL, which, of course, is meaningless) and the general stance Japan has been a success story when their dealings with the disease has been just as hit and miss as others'.

boy, do you have a tough time when challenged.

each country is charged with optimizing their COVID response based on their particular population
- that includes testing, tracing, societal restrictions, messaging etc

Japan put an emphasis on strict masking, contact tracing - isolation of contacts with testing of symptomatic people - if you were in contact with a + person - you were assumed positive and told to isolate - they listened

our approach has been to test a lot without much direction of what else to do

the death rate in Japan is minuscule despite having the oldest population of any country on the planet

you are right - time will tell if it was intervention or luck - seems like quite a big gamble during a pandemic to look at Japan and say their success was just luck rather than try to learn from the measures they put in place

https://www.prb.org/countries-with-the-oldest-populations/

_113161765_optimised_covid_deaths_per_100k-nc.png

Last edited:
each country is charged with optimizing their COVID response based on their particular population
- that includes testing, tracing, societal restrictions, messaging etc

Japan put an emphasis on strict masking, contact tracing - isolation of contacts with testing of symptomatic people - if you were in contact with a + person - you were assumed positive and told to isolate - they listened

our approach has been to test a lot without much direction of what else to do

the death rate in Japan is minuscule despite having the oldest population of any country on the planet

you are right - time will tell if it was intervention or luck - seems like quite a big gamble during a pandemic to look at Japan and say their success was just luck rather than try to learn from the measures they put in place

https://www.prb.org/countries-with-the-oldest-populations/

_113161765_optimised_covid_deaths_per_100k-nc.png
it's a HUGE stretch to say their 'intervention' had more to do with their success than the population's overall health in general prior to covid.

the top 3 on your chart are the fattest. you want to talk about that, I'm all ears. but don't act like our mirroring their 'interventions' would've meant mirrored results in the US. they didn't even lock down, just encouraged avoiding crowds indoors.

what you're saying seems intellectually dishonest.

and again, the piece about luck you keep insisting on referring back to, wasn't my words.

Last edited:
The response to this pandemic as a country has been a ****ing disaster. Saying cases are spiking in states where their governors resisted or ignored prevention measures shows that prevention measures are important, particularly wearing masks, is simply a statement of fact (excluding large states like California that are seeing spikes for somewhat different reasons). Saying that "things are ok" in Wisconsin or Colorado is completely missing the point: a person can travel anywhere and behavior is not mandatory between states. Any person or people could bring spikes to those states in a matter of weeks, and likely will.

Without a vaccine, and/or without massive lockdowns and mandatory mask usage, this is just going to keep going.. Soon, schools are supposed to start again. I cannot wait to see all of the boot-licking chuds on this board try to rationalize school outbreaks, kids who get sick and might die, and dead teachers.

I keep saying this again and again: this virus does not care about your politics. Ignoring sound advice is going to continue to wreck this country and hurt people, physically, psychologically, and in their pocketbooks.
Well, if school kids start "getting sick and dying" that will be a new one for this virus. So far, it is less harmful to kids than seasonal flu, according to the CDC. Stubborn fact.

it's a HUGE stretch to say their 'intervention' had more to do with their success than the population's overall health in general prior to covid.

the top 3 on your chart are the fattest. you want to talk about that, I'm all ears. but don't act like our mirroring their 'interventions' would've meant mirrored results in the US. they didn't even lock down, just encouraged avoiding crowds indoors.

you're manipulating facts once more. shocker.

maybe the fact that Japan has the oldest population in the world somewhat offsets the obesity question

no intervention is going to change the underlying health of a country's population during this pandemic
you can institute the interventions mentioned

control the controllable

having a more at risk population may require stricter controls

OR they make money no matter how the economy goes (city, government jobs). If you want to sit out “the fight”, sit out...Wuhan out

Reactions: GBRforLife1
The governor has said consistently from the beginning that the Health Directives (lockdown recommendations) have been about flattening the curve and reducing stress on hospitals/healthcare. It is about reducing the number of simultaneous cases but not necessarily the total number of cases during the life of the pandemic. The directives are orders/recommendations for each individual health district and as cases flare up in one district, the directives may be adjusted up or down for that district accordingly, based on testing and tracking. Pretty much just like jlb described above. So if cases flare up in Dakota City for instance, there is no need to adjust the health directives in Scottsbluff. I don’t think the whole state needs to be locked down at once, just like I don’t think the whole country needs to be locked down based on what is happening in a few regions.

The vast majority of recent cases have been in Douglas, Sarpy, and Lancaster counties. This isn't another case of a couple big flareups in meat packing communities.

https://covid19-nebraska.hub.arcgis.com/app/ece0db09da4d4ca68252c3967aa1e9dd

Well, if school kids start "getting sick and dying" that will be a new one for this virus. So far, it is less harmful to kids than seasonal flu, according to the CDC. Stubborn fact.
Also stubborn fact that kids and parents are too stupid to stay away from at risk people... but as we know from this board, they are expendable..

The vast majority of recent cases have been in Douglas, Sarpy, and Lancaster counties. This isn't another case of a couple big flareups in meat packing communities.

https://covid19-nebraska.hub.arcgis.com/app/ece0db09da4d4ca68252c3967aa1e9dd
So you make appropriate adjustments to the health directives in those districts if needed. Keep in mind that 41% of hospital beds, 45% of icu beds and 80% of ventilators in the state remain available, and as I posted, the directives are in place to keep health care from being overwhelmed. No reason so shut down the whole state let alone the whole country.

how did that work for Texas and Florida? if u dont have it then keep doing what you are doing with very small reopening

Neither are at capacity. The wuflu patients are a small portion of total patients and the previous shutdowns caused issues with people waiting too long to come in when they had less cases and hospitalization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT