ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln mayor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red I 73

All-American
Nov 25, 2007
West Des Moines, Iowa
Looking to increase restrictions because of CV-19 case increase in Lancaster county including possible shut down of bars that don't follow SD rules set by Gov Pete.

Yeah because all the hospitals are way over capacity. Good call mayor
Maybe you enjoy watching re-runs of SEC football from 2008, but I don't. The last thing we want to do is wait until "all the hospitals are way over capacity."

A lot of good and honest business owners have spent a lot of time and money complying with the rules laid down by the governor. The mayor is talking about enforcing the governor's rules. The cheaters should get consequences because if bars, restaurants, salons, gyms get closed again everyone loses.

Maybe you enjoy watching re-runs of SEC football from 2008, but I don't. The last thing we want to do is wait until "all the hospitals are way over capacity."

A lot of good and honest business owners have spent a lot of time and money complying with the rules laid down by the governor. The mayor is talking about enforcing the governor's rules. The cheaters should get consequences because if bars, restaurants, salons, gyms get closed again everyone loses.
The governor should open up fully. Already 41% of small businesses will never reopen. Plenty of hospital rooms.

how did that work for Texas and Florida? if u dont have it then keep doing what you are doing with very small reopening
seems to be working just fine in wisconsin, where their supreme court struck down governor-mandated lockdowns very early

working pretty well in CO, which opened at the exact same time as TX and AZ

for some strange reason, successes don't lead the news coverage

They are also trying to reverse the ban on affirmative action. Which may be the dumbest thing the legislature has done throughout this entire thing.

Afirmative Action helps noone. It hurts everyone, most of all minorities that don't identify as black.

They are also trying to reverse the ban on affirmative action. Which may be the dumbest thing the legislature has done throughout this entire thing.

Afirmative Action helps noone. It hurts everyone, most of all minorities that don't identify as black.

LOL...ok, buddy.

seems to be working just fine in wisconsin, where their supreme court struck down governor-mandated lockdowns very early

It's kind of amazing that you can't seem to put it together.

Reactions: redinten
enlighten me.

The response to this pandemic as a country has been a ****ing disaster. Saying cases are spiking in states where their governors resisted or ignored prevention measures shows that prevention measures are important, particularly wearing masks, is simply a statement of fact (excluding large states like California that are seeing spikes for somewhat different reasons). Saying that "things are ok" in Wisconsin or Colorado is completely missing the point: a person can travel anywhere and behavior is not mandatory between states. Any person or people could bring spikes to those states in a matter of weeks, and likely will.

Without a vaccine, and/or without massive lockdowns and mandatory mask usage, this is just going to keep going.. Soon, schools are supposed to start again. I cannot wait to see all of the boot-licking chuds on this board try to rationalize school outbreaks, kids who get sick and might die, and dead teachers.

I keep saying this again and again: this virus does not care about your politics. Ignoring sound advice is going to continue to wreck this country and hurt people, physically, psychologically, and in their pocketbooks.

The response to this pandemic as a country has been a ****ing disaster. Saying cases are spiking in states where their governors resisted or ignored prevention measures shows that prevention measures are important, particularly wearing masks, is simply a statement of fact (excluding large states like California that are seeing spikes for somewhat different reasons). Saying that "things are ok" in Wisconsin or Colorado is completely missing the point: a person can travel anywhere and behavior is not mandatory between states. Any person or people could bring spikes to those states in a matter of weeks, and likely will.

Without a vaccine, and/or without massive lockdowns and mandatory mask usage, this is just going to keep going.. Soon, schools are supposed to start again. I cannot wait to see all of the boot-licking chuds on this board try to rationalize school outbreaks, kids who get sick and might die, and dead teachers.

I keep saying this again and again: this virus does not care about your politics. Ignoring sound advice is going to continue to wreck this country and hurt people, physically, psychologically, and in their pocketbooks.
Oh, okay.

Reactions: DudznSudz
LOL...ok, buddy.

I mean I don't know what you're arguing against exactly. The evidence is pretty clear that over the last 30 years it's had a fairly negative impact as a whole and more often than not leads to the exact opposite effect it was intended for.

More so, it's incredibly unfair and discriminatory against the Asian-American communities, and hurts the Polynesian-American, Middle-Eastern American and Latin-American communities far more than it helps any perceived bias against black Americans.

ANY discrimination for or against ANYONE on the sole basis of their race is racist as a default and thus inherently evil.

But I bet you think Black History Month is a good idea too don't you? Lol.

I mean I don't know what you're arguing against exactly. The evidence is pretty clear that over the last 30 years it's had a fairly negative impact as a whole and more often than not leads to the exact opposite effect it was intended for.

More so, it's incredibly unfair and discriminatory against the Asian-American communities, and hurts the Polynesian-American, Middle-Eastern American and Latin-American communities far more than it helps any perceived bias against black Americans.

ANY discrimination for or against ANYONE on the sole basis of their race is racist as a default and thus inherently evil.

But I bet you think Black History Month is a good idea too don't you? Lol.

I understand what you're arguing, but it is flat out wrong. In a society that already discriminates against anyone who is not white and male, explicitly or implicitly, methods that seek to re-balance or correct for that are a good thing.

Chief Justice John Roberts championed a color-blind reading of the Constitution in Parents Involved v. Seattle (2007), arguing against desegregation: “The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.” <-- This, time and again, is shown to not be possible right now and probably won't be any time soon. It's a fantasy cooked up by the right to roll back progress on racism.

What you are actually arguing for is an elimination of these corrective measures and a re-affirmation of white supremacy.

Reactions: redinten

why is it all surprising that some areas are fairing better than others at this point in time?
This isn't a process where the entire nation is hit uniformly across the board - different areas are impacted at different times

Texas, Az, Florida, etc are getting hit now -- remember when DeSantis was crowing about what a great success Florida was when other areas were being hit hard

some regions have more built in social distancing than others

this is why a national strategy of testing, tracing etc was necessary - you track and when %positives reach a certain threshold - restrictions are put in place - different regions will reach these thresholds at different times - some might not reach them at all

CO or Wisconsin current results have nothing to do with what is going on in Texas or Florida -

masks and social distancing should be the baseline minimum for all areas

Last edited:
Reactions: DudznSudz
why is it all surprising that some areas are fairing better than others at this point in time?
This isn't a process where the entire nation is hit uniformly across the board - different areas are impacted at different times

Texas, Az, Florida, etc are getting hit now -- remember when DeSantis was crowing about what a great success Florida was when other areas were being hit hard

this is why a national strategy of testing, tracing etc was necessary - you track and when %positives reach a certain threshold - restrictions are put in place - different regions will reach these thresholds at different times - some might not reach them at all

citing CO or Wisconsin current results have nothing to do with what is going on in Texas or Florida

Thank you for putting it better than I think I did. (So like, for example, in places where it is hot as hell right now and people want to congregate indoors, we are seeing spikes).

For everyone saying we should just reopen everything now. Cases are already trending back upwards and yesterday Nebraska recorded their highest number of positive tests in a single day since 5/29

citing point in time national death rates when this process is sporadic rather than uniform is also very problematic
it dilutes the rates of what is happening in region by region by grossly expanding the denominator

for example

say you have a process that goes from region to region - spikes - subsides then develops in another region

if you have 10 regions with 100 people each (1000 total people)

25 of 100 people in each region are impacted before the next region is impacted - if you include the entire population (1000 people) - people will quote the point in time impact rate at 2.5% - even thought the rate in a particular region is 25%

lo and behold once you add up all the data from all the regions- 250 people out of the 1000 were impacted (25%) even though people kept quoting a 2.5% rate throughout

Last edited:
Reactions: Yossarian23
For everyone saying we should just reopen everything now. Cases are already trending back upwards and yesterday Nebraska recorded their highest number of positive tests in a single day since 5/29

The death rates aren't holding that form through. I know there is a lag, but they aren't lining up. In the grand scheme, we probably should have treated this like Sweden and gone on with our normal lives. You can't have all kinds of independent ways of doing things and expect anything to work. Let it burn through the population and on to the next pandemic that China wants to give us.

CO or Wisconsin current results have nothing to do with what is going on in Texas or Florida -
yea, no kidding. it's not surprising (my point), just like it's not surprising there are hot spots (obviously).

this is all the same stuff we were told to expect months ago. yet, here we are, treating it like breaking news every couple hours on a football message board from an ICU (allegedly).

The governor has said consistently from the beginning that the Health Directives (lockdown recommendations) have been about flattening the curve and reducing stress on hospitals/healthcare. It is about reducing the number of simultaneous cases but not necessarily the total number of cases during the life of the pandemic. The directives are orders/recommendations for each individual health district and as cases flare up in one district, the directives may be adjusted up or down for that district accordingly, based on testing and tracking. Pretty much just like jlb described above. So if cases flare up in Dakota City for instance, there is no need to adjust the health directives in Scottsbluff. I don’t think the whole state needs to be locked down at once, just like I don’t think the whole country needs to be locked down based on what is happening in a few regions.

citing point in time national death rates when this process is sporadic rather than uniform is also very problematic
it dilutes the rates of what is happening in region by region by grossly expanding the denominator

for example

say you have a process that goes from region to region - spikes - subsides then develops in another region

if you have 10 regions with 100 people each (1000 total people)

if 25 of 100 people in each region are impacted before the next region is impacted - if you include the entire population (1000 people) - people will quote the point in time impact rate at 2.5% - even thought the rate in a particular region is 25%

lo and behold once you add up all the data from all the regions- 250 people out of the 1000 were impacted (25%) even though people kept spouting off a 2.5% rate throughout

This isn't exactly the same thing you are talking about above but it gives a better picture of covid deaths than just looking at a country total and comparing it to a European country without taking into account population.

Here are Covid deaths adjusted by population by state:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

And for reference, here is the same data by European country:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1111779/coronavirus-death-rate-europe-by-country/

Let's all take note that this was the year/the decade/the century/the millennium humanity thought they could hide from nature . . . and decided that was wiser than living as free creatures in this magnificent, uncertain Euclidean Reality

IMG_0844.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT