ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln #10 of 14

hddude55

Defensive Coordinator
Jan 14, 2002
Arizona
Big Ten media rank Lincoln 10th out of 14 as a Big Ten college town. Thoughts?
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-big-ten-college-towns-expert-poll
This post was edited on 4/20 2:23 PM by hddude55

Sorry, but the Lincoln campus just doesn't look/feel like the older, traditional college campuses back east. Too much of it just blends in with the City.

Nothing against Lincoln, though. Having lived in Lincoln for 10 years, it's a great place to raise a family.
This post was edited on 4/20 2:41 PM by kchu5ker555

Originally posted by kchu5ker555:

Sorry, but the Lincoln campus just doesn't look/feel like the older, traditional college campuses back east. Too much of it just blends in with the City.

Nothing against Lincoln, though. Having lived in Lincoln for 10 years, it's a great place to raise a family.
This post was edited on 4/20 2:41 PM by kchu5ker555
Would tend to agree with this as an NU alum. It's great that UNL has done well in updating buildings, etc. but modernizing facilities inside and out means you don't have a campus with that sort of insulated, time capsule feel like some other places.

Lincoln is a perfectly good city to live in, but there's nothing about it on any day other than football saturday to suggest that college culture is sacred there.

I agree that the UNL campus is nothing to rave about, but this is not just about the campus but the city as well. And having been to all B1G cities I think this rating stinks. I think it shows a little east coast bias and a little "stick it to the newcomer bias". I am not saying we should be rated in the top five, but I would definitely put us around 6 or 7. Certainly not 10th. But heck, these ratings are subjective for the most part, as is my opinion.

I think it's about right. When visiting campus, there isn't much 'college town' about it, which is actually a good thing if you spent your undergrad years in Manhattan, KS
chairshot.r191677.gif

Nuts!

I have brought MSU, Michigan, Illinois and Northwestern fan back to Lincoln for game and they all rave about what a great college town Lincoln is and are bringing more back for future games. The city blends right into the campus, great bars and eats, ease of getting around, etc.

Reading that list, the rating is a joke. Lincoln is at least as good as Wisconsin in all those things. As far an actual "college town" I'd put Iowa city up towards the top.

It all depends on your rating criteria and it seems like each town was rated on different criteria.

East Lansing and Iowa City ahead of Lincoln? GTFO!! Both of them have small entertainment districts, and Iowa City didn't even have a great venue for bands. Hell, the Zoo Bar alone trumps anything either of these cities has.

Lincoln has become quite an impressive city for it's size. The Haymarket district has received rave reviews from many that know better. Tom Deinhart even said it was his favorite area from all the Big Ten cities.

Consider this report to be nothing more than a scratch paper written by a group of individuals that will eventually be forgotten. Many more of these will come out and Lincoln will be rated much higher by most.

I went to Lansing one time and thought it sucked. Didn't like the town, didn't like the campus, and the best looking girl I saw the whole time was MAYBE a 7.

So State College is number three vs. NU at 10. Happy Valley is in the middle of nowhere even more so than Lincoln. It is a perennial top party school (where drunk kids end up in your kids bedroom, see a This American Life podcast) and probably not much to do other than watch football. Described in the article as "Bordered by the Allegheny Mountains, it has a great downtown of roughly 100,000 (not true, State College has 41K pop) people while also feeling remote and quaint at the same time." It would be a Rust Belt backwater if not for PSU.
I'll take Lincoln any time.

I was in downtown Lincoln last Oct for a wedding. And I couldnt be more impressed with Lincoln. I like it better than Iowa City, but in our defense, Iowa City isnt the state capital. Lincoln is a very nice, and classy town. We hung out in the Hay Market and it was AWESOME. All those industrial old buildings that were restored for buisinesses was really neat and unique. I have been to the majority of the BIG 10 towns, and Nebraska is a true college town and one of the best in the BIG 10. Top 3 IMO.

I live in PA and have many friends who are PSU fans. And so I have been in State College probably about 15 times for games, two of them PSU vs. NU. So I know State College well. All I need to know about how bogus this poll is, is that it rates State College as number three. Are you kidding me?? That tiny little backwater is a dumpy little hole filled with drunk students. It has very little by way of an entertainment district and ALL of the action on gameday isn't even in the city but in the massive tailgating lots that surround the stadium. Add in the fact that the roads leading in and out of that city are a bottleneck nightmare it all adds up to a farce that State College is rated that high.

Oh and I love how the article repeats the tired mantra that "there is little else to do in Lincoln except cheer for Big Red". That could only have been penned by someone who has never been there. There is certainly more to do in Lincoln than State College or East Lansing.

Oh and I love how the article repeats the tired mantra that "there is little else to do in Lincoln except cheer for Big Red". That could only have been penned by someone who has never been there. There is certainly more to do in Lincoln than State College or East Lansing.

That is what they were saying about Nebraska's turn out to the Spring game. So, I guess there is nothing to do in Ohio as well, because they brought 99K to a Spring game, right?

Its a perception we in the Midwest and Plains are going to have to deal with . I am glad people dont think much of this part of the country. Because I dont want them here.

It's all subjective. I have not been to Piscataway, or College park. I live in Lincoln and have been to all others many, many, many times. I'd rate em this way.

1. Madison - cosmopolitan, hip vibe, similar to Lincoln except campus and Dtown are surrounded by two lakes that are massive by Nebraska standards...with clear water. Let that sink in. Good cultural scene, very active, winter doesn't shut them in....great beer.

2t. Bloomington, Iowa City, Ann Arbor - scenic with trees, natural water ways, pedestrian areas, compact, with very urban influences, and active music scene....(sorry to the poster that tried to prop the Zoo bar up against those towns). All are located with easy access to very rural, and very urban populations. For instance, Iowa has 50% of their student body from out of state(Chicago - a morning's drive away- the influence permeates), and each have have a hip, fit and active lifestyle . Cultural scene is stronger than the town I live in...wish it wasn't.

5. State College- similar to teh ones tied for two, but way, way to remote. Feels smaller....beautiful part of the country... quaint(they should maybe be lower)

6t. Northwestern and Minnesota - great campuses, parts of two of America's greatest cities. Slight edge to NW.

8t. East Lansing and Columbus - beautiful campuses, very urban vibe which is somewhat of a detractor for me

10. Lincoln - many of the same characteristics of Madison, E Lansing, Columbus, just not as picturesque of a campus, no stunning lakes or densely wooded surroundings, more remote. Frontier and more western and agrarian personality - not a bad thing IMO. Beyond that, the biggest knock, and I reiterate, it's a place I love living...food options are too chain and sports bar oriented, improving, but a far cry from those above it on the list. One can do a bit more than nitpicking on the cultural and outdoor recreation scene...so I don't argue the 'all we have to do is Big Red sports' claim. I 'm not a connoisseur of art, literature, non-chain book stores, non-chain shopping, etc, but they add to a community. School spirit and love of the sports teams....Lincoln rockets to the top in this. Personally I value this....objectively, it's just a piece of most other B1G towns. Haymarket and silicon prairie is changing the game.

11t (very very distant trailers) Champaign and West Lafayette - baron, non-descript and the odd step child for charm, style, aesthetics, personality, etc.

2-10, reshuffle and there shouldn't be too much argument.

ADVERTISEMENT