ADVERTISEMENT

Let's slow down our recruiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why winning is even more important for Nebraska than most other teams. Having a local recruiting hotbed is a bigger advantage today than its ever been IMO. Rutgers is a great example. They dont have be very successful to build a decent class because of their proximity to talent. We really need to start winning or this staff is going to have a very difficult time selling their vision to any top notch recruits.
Local recruiting is always important, especially in-state. Wisconsin and Iowa routinely turn walk on, 2 and 3 star athletes into stellar OL and DL. Development is WAY more important than rankings. Usually, the Badgers and Hawkeyes have 2/3 or 3/4 of their lines come from instate lower ranked kids. Love having high ranked classes, but I'll take hard working, tough, coachable, and playing with a chip on their shoulders recruits. THESE guys were underdogs and never really got second looks out of high school. But, under all those layers, they had......IT. 😎❤️🏈

Local recruiting is always important, especially in-state. Wisconsin and Iowa routinely turn walk on, 2 and 3 star athletes into stellar OL and DL. Development is WAY more important than rankings. Usually, the Badgers and Hawkeyes have 2/3 or 3/4 of their lines come from instate lower ranked kids. Love having high ranked classes, but I'll take hard working, tough, coachable, and playing with a chip on their shoulders recruits. THESE guys were underdogs and never really got second looks out of high school. But, under all those layers, they had......IT. 😎❤️🏈
I completely agree. Some ppl have been upset that our rankings arent as high as they would like. I was explaining 1 possible reason. But yeah ill take the 3 star with a chip on their shoulder over a 4 star with undeserved big man on campus syndrome.

I don’t think too many people are saying, “We’ll be good in the end.” What I do see people saying is, “It’s just April.”

And the dance doesn’t happen til December. Plenty of time to land some pretty girls, to borrow your analogy. It’s not like the coaches aren’t sweet-talking a lot of them.

Let’s see what we got when it’s time to dance.
Unfortunately it's been pretty tough to do much recruiting other than virtual crap for the past year. I KNOW for a fact that they are hoping to have recruits at the Red White game this spring. It is also possible that they could have recruits in the stands as "fans" for that open scrimmage coming up. That might be one of the reasons they're having it. As far as I know, they still can't host official visitors so it would have to be an informal unofficial visit. Nebraska is HEAVILY dependent on being able to get kids to Lincoln on a game day. Frost is banking on being able to do at least some of that before he starts taking commits from a bunch of low 3 star class fillers. We're not desperate. Our roster is very young. About the only spot I'm really concerned about is QB.

I'll take over 5.5 for a dime if you would like.
They might win six...they will be terrible again. Frost is not a good coach. We may finish with a top 30 class...most will leave and we will be starting 5-6 walk ons. We will have penalties for things like delay of game on the first play of the second half AGAIN, and we will give up at the first sign of adversity.
What did anyone see last year that made them think this team is anywhere near turning a corner???

They might win six...they will be terrible again. Frost is not a good coach. We may finish with a top 30 class...most will leave and we will be starting 5-6 walk ons. We will have penalties for things like delay of game on the first play of the second half AGAIN, and we will give up at the first sign of adversity.
What did anyone see last year that made them think this team is anywhere near turning a corner???

I'll take over 5.5 for a dime.

Reactions: Lincoln100
I said they might win six...does that prospect excite you??? There is zero chance of an 8 win season. That was once more or less the floor for the post-TO Huskers.

if 6 is their absolute ceiling, it seems taking under 5.5 for a dime would be a financially prudent decision.

The simple reason to wait and see is because that’s how it has been practically every year for us.

I would love to have 8 high caliber recruits right now, but it never seems to happen that way for us. And so, rather than worrying about it, I just wait. There isn’t anything I can do about it anyway. So why should I get worked up about it?
Everything you say is true, but we have lost a number of these late late commits. I think what we are seeing is a reflection of our results on the field. It sucks and will absolutely continue unless we can get at least 7 wins, when you think about it, that is pretty piss poor for year four.

Reactions: timnsun
The problem I have with the way Wisconsin and Iowa recruit is that it places an artificial ceiling on the program. Like it or not, they rarely win games they aren’t supposed to win. They are stuck in a 8-10 win bubble. They don’t make the CFP and haven’t won a big ten title in a decade or 2. Wisconsin 2012 and Iowa 2004. They can win a weak division then lose to teams with better talent. Sounds a lot like the Husker teams of the late 70’s to early 90’s. If that is the goal, cool. I just don’t think that is the goal.

The problem I have with the way Wisconsin and Iowa recruit is that it places an artificial ceiling on the program. Like it or not, they rarely win games they aren’t supposed to win. They are stuck in a 8-10 win bubble. They don’t make the CFP and haven’t won a big ten title in a decade or 2. Wisconsin 2012 and Iowa 2004. They can win a weak division then lose to teams with better talent. Sounds a lot like the Husker teams of the late 70’s to early 90’s. If that is the goal, cool. I just don’t think that is the goal.
For sure, winning the Division and a winning record are near-term goals.

Reactions: EastOregonHusker
I will never understand the attitude of just wait and see where we end up in recruiting, there is a long ways to go in the recruitment process, yadda yadda.

The reality is there is the time factor and a numbers piece. Sure you can say there is still lots of time until December or February but then you also have to say there are x numbers of highly regarded players and they are coming off the board and pledging to other schools. We aren't getting them so what is left? It is not an unlited selection.

So while it is easy to postpone the worry until signing day, you can't deny that some schools are filling their needs with the very same athletes that were on your original want list. Some will change their mind but few will.

It's a numbers game and the further behind other schools you are the more likely it is you will never catch them. There are only so many fish in the sea and if most of the big ones are caught by the best fishermen, you get what's left.
There is no reason to panic so early because this happens almost every season but we always finish with a decent class. For example in 2019 posters were losing their crap over Kansas out recruiting us in June.

Kansas early recruiting thread:
The OP pleads that Kansas has 15 commits and is ranked #28 in June. Then he states that Donu is in the 70s.

Final 2020 rankings were NU #17, Kansas #49.

There is no reason to panic so early because this happens almost every season but we always finish with a decent class. For example in 2019 posters were losing their crap over Kansas out recruiting us in June.

Kansas early recruiting thread:
The OP pleads that Kansas has 15 commits and is ranked #28 in June. Then he states that Donu is in the 70s.

Final 2020 rankings were NU #17, Kansas #49.
In my opinion, This recruiting cycle is very different from past years. Normally at this time the top schools have 13 to 18 commitment. When the top schools have basically selected, for lack of a better term, the recruits they’re going to go after, The rest of the schools can then go get the leftovers again, for lack of a better term. At this time, I believe there are six schools that have more than 10 recruits committed, none more than 11 or 12. What does does it shrink that recruiting cycle considerably. Recruits that normally take multiple unofficial visits in the fall, are now trying to jam an entire year’s schedule into about six months. With that happening visits will be at a premium, Nebraska, due to its schedule, will have very few opportunities to host recruits in Sept and Oct. that puts pressure on the staff to identify the kids that would commit to Nebraska.

Again jmho.

In my opinion, This recruiting cycle is very different from past years. Normally at this time the top schools have 13 to 18 commitment. When the top schools have basically selected, for lack of a better term, the recruits they’re going to go after, The rest of the schools can then go get the leftovers again, for lack of a better term. At this time, I believe there are six schools that have more than 10 recruits committed, none more than 11 or 12. What does does it shrink that recruiting cycle considerably. Recruits that normally take multiple unofficial visits in the fall, are now trying to jam an entire year’s schedule into about six months. With that happening visits will be at a premium, Nebraska, due to its schedule, will have very few opportunities to host recruits in Sept and Oct. that puts pressure on the staff to identify the kids that would commit to Nebraska.

Again jmho.
It's not our staffs job as recruiters to fill classes early. There are plenty athletes that would love the opportunity to commit to us today. It would be lazy and worrisome if we had a class currently ranked in the top 25 because we loaded up on early commits but then finished the class ranked in the 40s or 50s once the top talent started committing. I'd rather our coaches focus on signing the absolute best talent they can instead of rushing to fill a class.

"This recruiting cycle is very different from past years."
I'd argue that the biggest difference between this recruiting cycle and past classes is the transfer portal and the ability bring in talent that is ready to make a difference today. We already have a portal filled with players looking for a landing spot. Then add in that FCS and JUCO programs who are still competing right now. Then you add in the fact that if a commit signs and isn't the right fit, they'll just enter the transfer portal right away.

There are so many ways to fill a class this cycle that it doesn't make sense for programs to ask recruits to hurry and commit.

It's not our staffs job as recruiters to fill classes early. There are plenty athletes that would love the opportunity to commit to us today. It would be lazy and worrisome if we had a class currently ranked in the top 25 because we loaded up on early commits but then finished the class ranked in the 40s or 50s once the top talent started committing. I'd rather our coaches focus on signing the absolute best talent they can instead of rushing to fill a class.

I'd argue that the biggest difference between this recruiting cycle and past classes is the transfer portal and the ability bring in talent that is ready to make a difference today. We already have a portal filled with players looking for a landing spot. Then add in that FCS and JUCO programs who are still competing right now. Then you add in the fact that if a commit signs and isn't the right fit, they'll just enter the transfer portal right away.

There are so many ways to fill a class this cycle that it doesn't make sense for programs to ask recruits to hurry and commit.
I never mentioned filling the class in a hurry.

Have you been disappointed with Frosts recruiting in the past? Because this doesn’t look much different than his past classes at this point...
The issue isn’t commitments as much as simple activity. With no unofficial visits or much chatter, other than recruits putting out top 10 lists, it is way more difficult to get a true gauge of interest.

by this time in a normal cycle, we would have stories of kids scheduling visits, cancelling visits, who is attending what camp, what coaches were on the road last fall and who they were visiting etc. There was a truer sense of who was interested in Nebraska than what we see today.

as I said in my previous post, schools that normally have a larger number of commitments at this juncture simply don’t.

The issue isn’t commitments as much as simple activity. With no unofficial visits or much chatter, other than recruits putting out top 10 lists, it is way more difficult to get a true gauge of interest.

by this time in a normal cycle, we would have stories of kids scheduling visits, cancelling visits, who is attending what camp, what coaches were on the road last fall and who they were visiting etc. There was a truer sense of who was interested in Nebraska than what we see today.

as I said in my previous post, schools that normally have a larger number of commitments at this juncture simply don’t.
I agree with this. These are good points.

Frost does know the importance of recruiting, and I would be surprised if he doesn’t have a plan... if he never filled early in past years, you better believe he won’t fill early this next cycle with all that has happened the last year.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I agree with this. These are good points.

Frost does know the importance of recruiting, and I would be surprised if he doesn’t have a plan... if he never filled early in past years, you better believe he won’t fill early this next cycle with all that has happened the last year.
Again. As much as we want to believe Frost is in control of everything, he isn’t.

My thoughts and opinions aren’t about Frost deciding to not fill classes early.

This cycle is different because no one is filling classes early. So if a kid is say plan C at Alabama, and Alabama hasn’t got a commitment yet from their A or B, then C is not yet likely to start looking at his next choice.
So there is little movement, at this point in the cycle, where in the past there was.

Again. As much as we want to believe Frost is in control of everything, he isn’t.

My thoughts and opinions aren’t about Frost deciding to not fill classes early.

This cycle is different because no one is filling classes early. So if a kid is say plan C at Alabama, and Alabama hasn’t got a commitment yet from their A or B, then C is not yet likely to start looking at his next choice.
So there is little movement, at this point in the cycle, where in the past there was.
And again, I agree with you. I think we are talking past each other a bit. I know things are different, which is why I said he surely won’t fill early this year.

My greater point in this thread is that it’s too early to fret over the lack of recruits. Things may end differently next year than past Frost classes, but not much can be done about that in April 2021.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Goodness!!! We have two!!! Rutgers.....RUTGERS!!! a team we destroyed(the only one) is killing it....

Where is Stucknks to cheer me up and tell me all is good???:)
Rutgers has a good story to sell, significant record improvement and a new coaching staff.

Yes it is. It is their job to have kids committing throughout the cycle and that involves early AND late commitments. However we want to spin it, there's no inherent positive about NU consistently being behind in commits every recruiting cycle. Our staff does not know a secret formula to identifying and acquiring football talent that nobody else in the nation has figured out.

The home schedule this year, simply put, sucks. NU is incredibly dependent on official visits and they won't have many to use until late in the year.

The recruiting rankings don't lie. Since it's been tracked in the modern era, NO TEAM has won a national title without elite recruiting in the years leading up to that title. The best teams have the best recruits, then they combine it with the best coaching. Period.

Do we need to rise to Iowa and Wisconsin's level first before we can dream of being elite? Yes. But you can rise to their level with Top 15 classes too, you don't have to do it with a bunch of corn-fed nobodies first and then shift to suddenly *allowing* blue chip kids to sign with you once you've made it to being above average. Ohio State sure as shit doesn't.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Agree, but if you start recruiting like Wisconsin and Iowa, they become long term.
Ave Rivals rank last four recruiting classes.
NU - 18
WI - 27
IA - 35
NU's problem is that the play on the field hasn't matched the recruiting rank at least since Pelini, whereas our biggest West rivals match or exceed their's. If recruiting rankings hold any weight, the talent to win the B1G West is already on NU's roster. The kids shouldn't have to be "coached up", just coached.

Reactions: bshirt73
Ave Rivals rank last four recruiting classes.
NU - 18
WI - 27
IA - 35
NU's problem is that the play on the field hasn't matched the recruiting rank at least since Pelini, whereas our biggest West rivals match or exceed their's. If recruiting rankings hold any weight, the talent to win the B1G West is already on NU's roster. The kids shouldn't have to be "coached up", just coached.
How much of those classes are still on the team?

How much of those classes are still on the team?
I don’t know the particulars for any of the three teams. I think the advantage those two teams have over NU is longevity operating in systems that have a good probability of winning games in the league.

I don’t know the particulars for any of the three teams. I think the advantage those two teams have over NU is longevity operating in systems that have a good probability of winning games in the league.
And the circle continues. When you run a system and recruit players like Iowa and Wisconsin, you can win your division but a vast majority of the time you don’t win the league. So, I would rather have a system and recruit like teams that beat Wisconsin and Iowa not “just - good probability to win games in the league”.

Reactions: bigredhunter
And the circle continues. When you run a system and recruit players like Iowa and Wisconsin, you can win your division but a vast majority of the time you don’t win the league. So, I would rather have a system and recruit like teams that beat Wisconsin and Iowa not “just - good probability to win games in the league”.
OK, just to certify we are if not on the same page, then in the same chapter, I'm not arguing that NU emulate either Iowa or Wisconsin's systems or try to recruit down to their level. I would however call for more consistent play from the more athletic players NU does have.
Iowa and Wisconsin are very good benchmarks. Good players, experienced staffs, sound play. When NU consistently beats Iowa and can slug it out with Wisconsin, it will have arrived back as a college football program that actually matters. Pelini was able to do the first, but not the second. Riley failed at both and so has Frost thus far.

Reactions: ADV1 and bshirt73
Zero, interesting. Sounds like a slam dunk for you. You would readily accept a bet giving 10 to 1 odds?
probably right where their O/U will sit (7.5), I'd guess

in addition to being the worst FBS team against the spread since 2019, I don't believe NU has hit the over on their win total in 5 years

but, we've been a very fortunate fanbase and should accept these facts with grace. positive posts only. bet we covered every week in '94 AND '95

OK, just to certify we are if not on the same page, then in the same chapter, I'm not arguing that NU emulate either Iowa or Wisconsin's systems or try to recruit down to their level. I would however call for more consistent play from the more athletic players NU does have.
Iowa and Wisconsin are very good benchmarks. Good players, experienced staffs, sound play. When NU consistently beats Iowa and can slug it out with Wisconsin, it will have arrived back as a college football program that actually matters. Pelini was able to do the first, but not the second. Riley failed at both and so has Frost thus far.
Probably on the same page.

However, typically when this recruit like Iowa and Wisconsin discussion is brought up, it is because people say those schools are doing what Nebraska did and are now beating us.

Usually they are talking about the scheme of a power running game where throwing is in the playbook only out of necessity not a part of the game plan. Where they Recruit mostly local OLinemen and WRs.

my opinion is just that that style of play places a ceiling on success. Which is fine if your long term goal is 9-10 wins and an occasional conference title game appearance.

I should not have assumed you were using that same discussion point.

probably right where their O/U will sit (7.5), I'd guess

in addition to being the worst FBS team against the spread since 2019, I don't believe NU has hit the over on their win total in 5 years

but, we've been a very fortunate fanbase and should accept these facts with grace. positive posts only. bet we covered every week in '94 AND '95
Come on, man, we already have JLB...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT