ADVERTISEMENT

Let's slow down our recruiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
Goodness!!! We have two!!! Rutgers.....RUTGERS!!! a team we destroyed(the only one) is killing it....

Where is Stucknks to cheer me up and tell me all is good???:)

And if the Sun disappears it will be dark......

Our recruiting has been good every year under Frost and your doomsday scenario isn't happening no matter how much you want it to.
Oh no. Were going undefeated and winning it all this year despite all the signs pointing towards us having our 5th straight losing season. But have no fear its takes *checks LJS and OWH articles* 6 years to turn it around after 3 years of a .500 coach. I hope I'm wrong but Id be very suprised to see this team win more than 5 games.

And if the Sun disappears it will be dark......

Our recruiting has been good every year under Frost and your doomsday scenario isn't happening no matter how much you want it to.
Do you THINK I want it to be bad???? This is a reality...we have two kids committed...two...

two more than a dead man might have talked into playing here....

Reactions: artguy68
Oh no. Were going undefeated and winning it all this year despite all the signs pointing towards us having our 5th straight losing season. But have no fear its takes *checks LJS and OWH articles* 6 years to turn it around after 3 years of a .500 coach. I hope I'm wrong but Id be very suprised to see this team win more than 5 games.

All the signs, LOL. You will be wrong, but I do t believe you will be happy about it.

Reactions: RedLegion
Do you THINK I want it to be bad???? This is a reality...we have two kids committed...two...

No, I just think we are over reacting to early recruiting, like every year. I think we had these exact comments last year at this time and ended up with a Top 20 class. I do, however, think the poster I quoted absolutely wants things to be bad.

It literally is like this every year. I have made posts in April now 6 years in a row trying to calm posters down about recruiting.

Who knows, maybe this year WILL be the exception. But every year prior, we have been fine in recruiting despite what the April numbers are.

Goodness!!! We have two!!! Rutgers.....RUTGERS!!! a team we destroyed(the only one) is killing it....

Where is Stucknks to cheer me up and tell me all is good???:)
Do you want to fill up with low 3 star guys now or do you want to wait to try to land some high 4 stars when the W's start adding up? That's the question. If the W's don't come, the low 3 stars will still be there IMO.

I wish Spartan was a pot stirrer, but the truth is there is no pot to stir. Bo’s coaches got roundly booed here for locker room celebrations of ONLY nine wins. These days nine wins are just another unattainable goal. But how about all of those Memorial Stadium sellouts!! (Who knew it was so easy find 90,000 fools.)
I think the 90K fools are very different fans than the yentas on this board.

What a bunch of negative doomsayers. I will take that bet on not winning more than 5 games. The defense is going to shine this year and will give the offense more plays. Martinez has by far the best offensive line, wide receivers and tight ends this year. His short passes are pretty accurate. His long passing game has to and will improve. He is never going to be a Tanner Morgan but I think with more time to pass we will see big improvements in the long game. Put some positive vibes in your frequent posts and good things will happen.

He's a troll. Where the hell did the emojii options go to from this board? They keep f'ing with things on here. Do they have a twelve year old making all of the changes or what? Geez this sucks.
Well, I was being sarcastic and just in case you weren't, Spartan is a coaching and student success legend. Tennis happens to be his sport but he understands players and what it takes to win. He is on my list of people on this board I would like to meet and buy lunch.

What a bunch of negative doomsayers. I will take that bet on not winning more than 5 games. The defense is going to shine this year and will give the offense more plays. Martinez has by far the best offensive line, wide receivers and tight ends this year. His short passes are pretty accurate. His long passing game has to and will improve. He is never going to be a Tanner Morgan but I think with more time to pass we will see big improvements in the long game. Put some positive vibes in your frequent posts and good things will happen.
I just watched his practice film today, Adrian still cant throw a lick. Haarberg looks to be the best passer of the 3 right now. And no it doesnt make you a bad fan to point out Scott Frosts many shortcoming his first 3 years here. Ive been a Husker fan my whole life and I'm tired of seeing this program run so poorly. I hope more than anyone he turns it around, but given the first 3 years I would be shocked if we dont see the same old song and dance until his ass is shown the door.

I'll take over 5.5 for a dime if you would like.

Reactions: headcard
We all know everything starts up front. The Oline although young seems to be much more talented than the last few years. I expect them to be better overall. If that happens that would be a huge step in the right direction. I believe the increased talent and height at the WR postion will also make a big difference. Not sure what to expect out of the rb's. TE looks solid. Now we just have to hope that AM can take better care of the ball. Limit the turnovers and I think the rest will take care of itself. I have no expectations for the WL record. However I do expect great effort for 4 quarters. I hope thats what we see. GBR!!.

I hope you're right.

since joining the BIG neb had never finished behind any team currently in the big ten west in team recruiting rankings until last years class ... in the entire history of rivals recruiting rankings it has very rarely occurred -- you have to go all the way back to 2008 before it had happened previously

rivals ranking of recruiting classes goes back 20 years on this site

in those 20 years only twice previously has Neb failed to sign more than three - 4* or better recruits prior to this year
2008 - Pelini transition class (5*-4*-4*)
2004 - Solich - 2 4*s

you have to go back 18 years to find a class more bereft of highly rated recruits than the 2021 class

this staff keeps accumulating historic milestone after historic milestone

Last edited:
Reactions: DaServo
since joining the BIG neb had never finished behind any team currently in the big ten west in team recruiting rankings until last years class ... in the entire history of rivals recruiting rankings it has very rarely occurred -- you have to go all the way back to 2008 before it had happened previously

rivals ranking of recruiting classes goes back 20 years on this site

in those 20 years only twice previously has Neb failed to sign more than three - 4* or better recruits prior to this year
2008 - Pelini transition class (5*-4*-4*)
2004 - Solich - 2 4*s

you have to go back 18 years to find a class more bereft of highly rated recruits than the 2021 class

this staff keeps accumulating historic milestone after historic milestone

That’s a cute spin. Fact is last years class was ranked #18 nationally. That is better than every Mike Riley class and better than every Bo Pelini class except 2011 (#15) and 2013 (#17).

Et tu Sparty? It is RIDICULOUSLY early to be wringing your hands about this. Go enjoy a tennis match or something.

At this point its hard for me to trust recruiting rankings. They seem to be fairly accurate when talking about the cream of the crop. But after that its really hit and miss. Ive seen to many 4 star players wash out and 3 stars become good players to take what rivals says to the bank.

Hey, good evening! Been busy with standardized testing/ Veterans unit/ three matches today so just settling in... had actually forgotten putting this here! But a few reflections:
- I KNOW it’s early but why can’t WE be the leaders once in a while?
- I DO want Scott to succeed....but he or his assistants need to get better quickly
- I’m not a troll in the traditional sense, but I will embrace the potstirrer motif to a degree😂
- thank you for the kind words, Tru... feel the same... lunch soon?

I AM juiced about our volleyball, baseball and I’m starting to tingle a bit for hoops!

Blessings!!!

At this point its hard for me to trust recruiting rankings. They seem to be fairly accurate when talking about the cream of the crop. But after that its really hit and miss. Ive seen to many 4 star players wash out and 3 stars become good players to take what rivals says to the bank.
If you measure college FB player success by NFL draft picks, all-conference awards and stats, the recruiting rankings are far more accurate than random rankings. What needs to be considered is whether taking athletes with 4 star talent but questionable discipline/commitment are worth the risk that they will wash out or transfer back home. Every team with a weak local recruiting base has to balance that risk with giving it a go with mostly 2-3 stars.

I will never understand the attitude of just wait and see where we end up in recruiting, there is a long ways to go in the recruitment process, yadda yadda.

The reality is there is the time factor and a numbers piece. Sure you can say there is still lots of time until December or February but then you also have to say there are x numbers of highly regarded players and they are coming off the board and pledging to other schools. We aren't getting them so what is left? It is not an unlited selection.

So while it is easy to postpone the worry until signing day, you can't deny that some schools are filling their needs with the very same athletes that were on your original want list. Some will change their mind but few will.

It's a numbers game and the further behind other schools you are the more likely it is you will never catch them. There are only so many fish in the sea and if most of the big ones are caught by the best fishermen, you get what's left.

I will never understand the attitude of just wait and see where we end up in recruiting, there is a long ways to go in the recruitment process, yadda yadda.

The reality is there is the time factor and a numbers piece. Sure you can say there is still lots of time until December or February but then you also have to say there are x numbers of highly regarded players and they are coming off the board and pledging to other schools. We aren't getting them so what is left? It is not an unlited selection.

So while it is easy to postpone the worry until signing day, you can't deny that some schools are filling their needs with the very same athletes that were on your original want list. Some will change their mind but few will.

It's a numbers game and the further behind other schools you are the more likely it is you will never catch them. There are only so many fish in the sea and if most of the big ones are caught by the best fishermen, you get what's left.
You just listed another very important reason to opt out of that OU contract and schedule a home game for visits. The B1G and the scheduling czar Alvarez screwed us again with our schedule. There's no way Tom could have known when he signed the OU deal that the B!G would do this OR that there would be such an early signing date for recruiting. Frost is gambling that we win some games before signing day and it opens the doors for more highly sought after recruits. He almost has to do that.

The simple reason to wait and see is because that’s how it has been practically every year for us.

I would love to have 8 high caliber recruits right now, but it never seems to happen that way for us. And so, rather than worrying about it, I just wait. There isn’t anything I can do about it anyway. So why should I get worked up about it?

Reactions: bigredhunter
If you don't want to worry yet about Nebraska's recruiting class for 2022, that's fine. But that doesn't change the fact that Rutgers is making a huge splash. Four 4* recruits already, with two more highly probable adding to their class soon, including a 4* QB.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
The simple reason to wait and see is because that’s how it has been practically every year for us.

I would love to have 8 high caliber recruits right now, but it never seems to happen that way for us. And so, rather than worrying about it, I just wait. There isn’t anything I can do about it anyway. So why should I get worked up about it?
Well, first I never said anything about worrying about it. I learned not to do that a long time ago. Worry accomplishes nothing.

The point was that we can't continue to just say we will be good in the end because statistically that is not possible nor likely.

I wouldn't say it has always been this way but there seems to be a pattern in recent years.

I guess it's like picking teams for a pickup game or getting the best girl for the dance. There are those at the top who stand out and they get picked first, the rest of us fight over what remains.

Well, first I never said anything about worrying about it. I learned not to do that a long time ago. Worry accomplishes nothing.

The point was that we can't continue to just say we will be good in the end because statistically that is not possible nor likely.

I wouldn't say it has always been this way but there seems to be a pattern in recent years.

I guess it's like picking teams for a pickup game or getting the best girl for the dance. There are those at the top who stand out and they get picked first, the rest of us fight over what remains.
I don’t think too many people are saying, “We’ll be good in the end.” What I do see people saying is, “It’s just April.”

And the dance doesn’t happen til December. Plenty of time to land some pretty girls, to borrow your analogy. It’s not like the coaches aren’t sweet-talking a lot of them.

Let’s see what we got when it’s time to dance.

This is why winning is even more important for Nebraska than most other teams. Having a local recruiting hotbed is a bigger advantage today than its ever been IMO. Rutgers is a great example. They dont have be very successful to build a decent class because of their proximity to talent. We really need to start winning or this staff is going to have a very difficult time selling their vision to any top notch recruits.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
We all know everything starts up front. The Oline although young seems to be much more talented than the last few years. I expect them to be better overall. If that happens that would be a huge step in the right direction. I believe the increased talent and height at the WR postion will also make a big difference. Not sure what to expect out of the rb's. TE looks solid. Now we just have to hope that AM can take better care of the ball. Limit the turnovers and I think the rest will take care of itself. I have no expectations for the WL record. However I do expect great effort for 4 quarters. I hope thats what we see. GBR!!.

Well stated sir. I'm sure with ya! If we can wave the magic wand and get even somewhat average play with our special teams......yeah, we'll have a blast watching NU come around!

Well stated sir. I'm sure with ya! If we can wave the magic wand and get even somewhat average play with our special teams......yeah, we'll have a blast watching NU come around!
I did forget about ST. I hope they are able to get more starters to play on those units and improve them. Unfortunately there are several if's when it comes to turning this thing around. Im not willing to put money on anything but im optimistic.

Hey, good evening! Been busy with standardized testing/ Veterans unit/ three matches today so just settling in... had actually forgotten putting this here! But a few reflections:
- I KNOW it’s early but why can’t WE be the leaders once in a while?
- I DO want Scott to succeed....but he or his assistants need to get better quickly
- I’m not a troll in the traditional sense, but I will embrace the potstirrer motif to a degree😂
- thank you for the kind words, Tru... feel the same... lunch soon?

I AM juiced about our volleyball, baseball and I’m starting to tingle a bit for hoops!

Blessings!!!
Starting to "tingle" a bit for hoops? Ok. Whatever gets you off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT