ADVERTISEMENT

Let's just pretend we have a full season

Oldie but goodie

Redshirt Freshman
May 15, 2018
Let's get back to talking football, How will we look?
I think our offense will take a big leap. I see an improved running game and passing game.
I think our run defense will be worse, yes it's possible.
I see our pass defense about the same
Special teams, I really don't think this can be worse. I'll go with some improvement.
I see an optimistic 8 wins in 12 games season.

Experience is a key factor. Any coach will tell you, the less experienced your team, the more reps they need. Given not only the youth (grade level) of our team and the lack of reps (game experience) one would have to look at he areas of experience to be their strength. The o-line should be but then again, we could have some new starters and guys moving around, that makes a difference.

In my opinion, missing the spring practices hurts the younger and least experienced teams more. You just want your young guys to get those reps as any way and as much as possible. I could see an extended fall practice if this thing is over by then.

Not sure if this has been discussed on other threads, but I’d like to know what players are doing now to maintain strength, conditioning, etc.

Well the plus side is every team out there is going through the same issues we are. My guess is ever team is doing what they can without breaking the rules. Maybe even pushing the envelope a bit.

How we will look if we have a season? Like Rambo said, it hinges around the QB play, big time. My guess, I think Martinez comes back focused, determined and actually shows why he was a Top 100 QB that gained Heisman talk after his true freshman campaign.

We also return every starting OLinemen and it gets better...we will be adding in even more talent in Benhart at tackle which allows Farniok to move over to guard. I expect to see a much improved running game and pass protection. Mills goes for over 1,000 this year with R Johnson getting a bunch of snaps ass well. We will have a Top 3 or better rushing team in the BIG 10. The passing game takes a big step forward and that’s as far as I’m going with that. I’m in wait and see mode on JD Speilman, Omar Manning and Zavier Betts (I think both Manning and Betts qualify and make it).

our defense, 3rd straight year in the same system (fist time in years). We should see a much improved run defense and pass defense. We lost all 3 starters on the Dline but we also return a bunch of talent as well with experience. At ILB We lose M Barry but bring back Honas and Miller plus add Nick Henrichs, Snodgrass and some 4 star talents to the mix. OLB gains Dawson as a position coach (which is an upgrade compared to DeWitt in my opinion) and we return Domann, Tannor, G Nelson, J Hannah and number of young talent. And at DB we lose L Jackson but we return everyone else and those positions are loaded with talent. I expect to see a much improved defense a crossed the board. 3rd year in the system will help tons.

Special teams should take a huge step in the right direction. We will not see the same issues we seen last year. Our special teams guy from Auburn Tigers will make sure of that.

realistically we could see anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3....it all hinges on our QB play. Martinez comes back to his old self or Luke McCaffrey gets turns loose and kills it...let’s see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
What's the deal with the kid who took off to Minnesota, is he coming back at WR?

As of now he’s on leave, that’s it. Some guess he’s not returning and some (like me) assume he will be back in time for fall camp. He’s one player that won’t miss anything.

Yea my gut is he doesn't want to War Daddy anymore and just wants to finish his career, which is fine by Frost right?

IF and that's a big IF but IF we get him back, with Mills, Wandale, and the incoming new faces at WR we could be pretty good next year.

He is the anchor, we're so damn thin and inexperienced there, I just hope he finds his way back on campus. GBR

Yea my gut is he doesn't want to War Daddy anymore and just wants to finish his career, which is fine by Frost right?

IF and that's a big IF but IF we get him back, with Mills, Wandale, and the incoming new faces at WR we could be pretty good next year.

He is the anchor, we're so damn thin and inexperienced there, I just hope he finds his way back on campus. GBR

Once we add Manning, Betts, Fleming, Brown and Nixon to the mix...we won’t be thin anymore but we will be very young, inexperienced and talented at WR. The futures bright but we may see flashes and some struggles till then. I think we have enough talent and experience there to field a solid starting group. Back ups....now that’s a different story. We will have young talent there.

Let's get back to talking football, How will we look?
I think our offense will take a big leap. I see an improved running game and passing game.
I think our run defense will be worse, yes it's possible.
I see our pass defense about the same
Special teams, I really don't think this can be worse. I'll go with some improvement.
I see an optimistic 8 wins in 12 games season.
Who the Qb is and how they perform is going to be the biggest factor in how the O looks. QB play sucked last year and the offense sucked. I do think the O will be better
I think our run D takes a step back
Pass D will be better
Special teams has to get better because it can't get worse
I see 5 is worst case and 8 is best case. I see us probably in that 7 win range.

Does this layoff, for lack of a better word, help Martinez heal completely? Was he a 100% before this anyway? Or do we really know that answer?

We need huge improvements at the WR position and RB game improvements to move beyond 7 wins

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT